ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Mclung

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone here remember THE GREAT DEBATE??? When Mac McClung was being recruited,
there was considerable chaos on this board between two guys about his abilities to play college ball at the D-1 level.

How time flies!!!!!

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
that team woulda been sick..

Both have and had solid college careers. It's funny how we look at what things could have been but if they had not gone elsewhere would we have not got some of the players we did get if that makes any sense at all. I'm so old I can remember we had a great shot at getting Bill Bradley and a little later Tom McMillan. If we had picked up those guys just think how the tides may have turned . charlie scott was close to be playing for Lefty Driesell when he was at Davidson. At the time scott in my opinion was the most important recruit ever because players like bill chamberlain, walter davis and phil ford came aboard and player after player started playing for dean. As I get older my mind has become to decieve me. I can be hard to comprehend. I'm gonna check about Lefty and scott at Davidson and not Md. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Both have and had solid college careers. It's funny how we look at what things could have been but if they had not gone elsewhere would we have not got some of the players we did get if that makes any sense at all. I'm so old I can remember we had a great shot at getting Bill Bradley and a little later Tom McMillan. If we had picked up those guys just think how the tides may have turned . charlie scott was close to be playing for Lefty Driesell when he was at Davidson. At the time scott in my opinion was the most important recruit ever because players like bill chamberlain, walter davis and phil ford came aboard and player after player started playing for dean. As I get older my mind has become to decieve me. I can be hard to comprehend. I'm gonna check about Lefty and scott at Davidson and not Md. OFC

Also on the Bradley/Duke deal Bradley had already commited to Duke during the summer after his senior year. Back then no letter of intent existed. Bradley had already enrolled for classes at Duke and changed his mind just a few days before classes were to start. Now here's the heart breaker. Fred Heitzel another top recruit that year wanted to come play at Duke but because Bradley had commited to Duke he went to Davidson were he became , this an All-American for Lefty. OFC

Also on the Bradley/Duke deal Bradley had already commited to Duke during the summer after his senior year. Back then no letter of intent existed. Bradley had already enrolled for classes at Duke and changed his mind just a few days before classes were to start. Now here's the heart breaker. Fred Heitzel another top recruit that year wanted to come play at Duke but because Bradley had commited to Duke he went to Davidson were he became , this an All-American for Lefty. OFC
Can you imagine either one of those guys with Heyman and Mullins??? I think Vic wins at least one title if we get Fred or "Dollar Bill."

On the Charlie Scott deal, I think Lefty all but had him sewn up for Davidson, but lost him late to Cheatin' Dean. I recall an ACC TOURNAMENT FINAL from Charlotte in '69. It was Vic's last hurrah. We had like a 9 point halftime lead, but Scott went crazy 2nd HALF, ended up with 40. Cheats won, we went to NIT.Ironically,UNC beat Lefty and Davidson on a buzzer beater the next weekend to take Eastern Regionals. Fortunately Rick Mount and Billy Keller blasted UNC by about 30 in Final Four.

OFC

Lefty had Scott but Smith stole him away. Didn’t understand why Heitzel let Bradley commitment change his mind.Wasn’t he a PF and Bradley a wing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT