ADVERTISEMENT

Schutt questions

Schutt shoots a jump shot, not the push shot Grandison shoots. I think Schutt can be a valuable player either next year or the year after. The question is whether he is that patient. I hope he is.

Reactions: sheyduke
Schutt shoots a jump shot, not the push shot Grandison shoots. I think Schutt can be a valuable player either next year or the year after. The question is whether he is that patient. I hope he is.
Duke was his "dream school," and I think Jon really likes Schutt. Even with his off shooting Saturday his presence paid dividends. He provided a spark, played good defense, and we increased our lead to 29-16.

OFC

We had Proctor, Blakes, and Roach. They are pretty much interchangeable. So, I do not think Scheyer played Schutt because he had to, but because he wanted to reward Schutt for his improvement during practices. I think we will see more of Schutt even after Whitehead returns.

OFC
Blakes and Roach are still nursing injuries . Proctor was the only healthy guard when Whitehead went down beside Grandison . If Roach’s injury begins to aggravate him during a game he has to sit to stop further injury and Blakes nose went to bleeding during the GT game so his time on the floor until completely healed is unknown . Proctor or Grandison get hurt or have foul trouble all you are left with is Schutt and there was no better game remaining to give him court time then GT. To think it was due to his practice and not necessity is crazy at this point of the season .

Grayson got PT only after Suleiman left. I have always wondered whether Coach K was sick of Suleiman and got rid of him when Grayson was ready, or if Grayson simply got his chance when Suleiman left. Same with Eliot Williams. Was he really not ready to play until Feb. or whenever he was made a starter, or was it desperation because the team was playing so poorly? We'll never know.

Blakes and Roach are still nursing injuries . Proctor was the only healthy guard when Whitehead went down beside Grandison . If Roach’s injury begins to aggravate him during a game he has to sit to stop further injury and Blakes nose went to bleeding during the GT game so his time on the floor until completely healed is unknown . Proctor or Grandison get hurt or have foul trouble all you are left with is Schutt and there was no better game remaining to give him court time then GT. To think it was due to his practice and not necessity is crazy at this point of the season .
Nobody said that this was not a good game to give Schutt court time. I agree that it was a perfect game in which putting Schutt in made sense. The likelihood that he would jeopardize our getting the W against GT was minimal to non-existent. He was not going to be asked to play PG. Moreover, had he not been showing marked improvement at practice, he would have continued to languish on the bench. We will see how much playing time he gets against Wake. Our injury situation, such as it is, will be unchanged. Roach looked good against GT. If he is nursing anything at this point, it would appear to be a minor issue now. To say that Scheyer had no choice but to play Schutt is not only crazy, but just silly. Shutt played 3 minutes in the first half and the last 9 minutes of the second half when the game was well out of reach for GT. Not really a sign of desparation on Scheyer's part. OFC

I don’t think we will see Schutt play any meaningful minutes going forward unless Roach’s injury reoccurs.

Roach being healthy is a big deal for this team.
THIS!!!

IMHO, without a healthy Roach playing his part, we will struggle to make the tournament and even if we do, we won't make it out of the first weekend. With a healthy Roach playing his game like he has recently, at the 2, we can make a deep run in the ACC tourney, and NOBODY is gonna want to see us in their bracket, no matter what our seed is.

True. Roach is kind of the glue and our only holdover from the final four. When he plays with confidence we are a different team. That said I don't really think anyone is afraid to face us at this point, unless we go on a late season run.

Nobody said that this was not a good game to give Schutt court time. I agree that it was a perfect game in which putting Schutt in made sense. The likelihood that he would jeopardize our getting the W against GT was minimal to non-existent. He was not going to be asked to play PG. Moreover, had he not been showing marked improvement at practice, he would have continued to languish on the bench. We will see how much playing time he gets against Wake. Our injury situation, such as it is, will be unchanged. Roach looked good against GT. If he is nursing anything at this point, it would appear to be a minor issue now. To say that Scheyer had no choice but to play Schutt is not only crazy, but just silly. Shutt played 3 minutes in the first half and the last 9 minutes of the second half when the game was well out of reach for GT. Not really a sign of desparation on Scheyer's part. OFC
We will see if he gets in tonight . Never said anything about him playing pg . Simply said he was the only guard left beside walk ons not nursing an injury .

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I think John Scheyer was one of Duke's all-time great players. Coach K hand-picked him to take over upon his retirement. I am vey surprised to say that I am beginning to have my doubts about Cock Scheyer. So far I am just not seeing it. Sad.
Hope he doesn’t read the board. He might get sad when he sees you called him Cock Scheyer.

I am embarrassed to say I didn't reread my earlier post when referencing COACH Scheyer. I absolutely meant no disrespect, though they typo certainly implies that. My bad.

That being said, the only time I can remember a coach being so recalcitrant to make a needed change (in my humble opinion) was when Roy Williams refused to put Kendall Marshall in even though, game after game, Larry Drew Jr. was not up to speed. Finally, at mid season, Marshall got his chance and Williams won ACC coach of the year.
Dear John, Give Schutt a chance...

He got in. Him and Grandison have zero points combined . In Schutt’s defense not one Duke player looked to pass it his way .

Surprised Jaden basically didn't get a touch on offense. Not worried about game being too fast for him, whatever. Grayson had that same adjustment when he was getting those 4-5 minute stints as a freshmen. I see a very bright future for the youngster.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
Probably not but he could be really good in the future. Depending on who leaves, he might be in the rotation next year.
I’d look for him to be . Right now he looks like Blakes did his freshman year. Didn’t really look terrible on defense although Young had to pull him to the huddle when he was arguing to the ref. Simple learning curve .

Grayson scored 27 as a freshman against Wake. :) But it's good Scutt is seeing the floor. He probably won't once Whitehead is back.
Grayson went off against Wake in '15 because K finally pulled the leash off. Sometimes that's all a kid needs. OFC

Grayson was a much better recruit than Schutt. Not really much of a comparison.

As soon as Schutt went in the game, Wake attacked him. He committed a bad foul which cost 2 points and then got taken right into the paint for another 2 points. I wish he could have found a look on offense.

Schutt isn’t going to save our season. But IMO Lively emerging into a force for 25 MPG could.

Reactions: dukesince91
Hope he doesn’t read the board. He might get sad when he sees you called him Cock Scheyer.

I am embarrassed to say I didn't reread my earlier post when referencing COACH Scheyer. I absolutely meant no disrespect, though they typo certainly implies that. My bad.

That being said, the only time I can remember a coach being so recalcitrant to make a needed change (in my humble opinion) was when Roy Williams refused to put Kendall Marshall in even though, game after game, Larry Drew Jr. was not up to speed. Finally, at mid season, Marshall got his chance and Williams won ACC coach of the year.
His name is Jon

We will see if he gets in tonight . Never said anything about him playing pg . Simply said he was the only guard left beside walk ons not nursing an injury .
Schutt got less than 4 minutes in the first half and 0 minutes in the second. You sticking by your argument that Scheyer played Schutt during GT be cause he had not other choice? Good luck with that one. OFC

Grayson was a much better recruit than Schutt. Not really much of a comparison.

As soon as Schutt went in the game, Wake attacked him. He committed a bad foul which cost 2 points and then got taken right into the paint for another 2 points. I wish he could have found a look on offense.

Schutt isn’t going to save our season. But IMO Lively emerging into a force for 25 MPG could.
It's still a valid comparison because Grayson was the 9th man on the '15 team. He really had no clue what he was doing early on.

Granted, agree Grayson (one of my all time faves who did save us) was further along on a stacked with talent team. Look, the kid is going to make some mistakes, you mentioned Lively-how was his play up until recently? Right, not too good.

Now if we get Lively emerging "into a force for 25 mpg" I say FANTASTIC!! He's going to need to watch his foul total, especially vs Cheaters referees Saturday. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I like Schutt but he doesn't look ready. Grayson was on a loaded team and scored 27 when he started. They are kind of worlds apart. Schutt is more like O'Connell or Melchioni. He could be in the rotation next year if guys leave.

Take your crack pipe and exit these boards, please!

Schutt got less than 4 minutes in the first half and 0 minutes in the second. You sticking by your argument that Scheyer played Schutt during GT be cause he had not other choice? Good luck with that one. OFC
Your missing my entire point . Who else is left on the bench should Roach go down again( like when he hurt his wrist last night) Blakes with a nose break and Whitehead out ? Your telling me Proctor and Grandison as the only guards is depth? He played Schutt against GT because there was no better game left besides maybe Louisville to start building his confidence . Your saying he received four minutes in the first none in the second goes to my point that he didn’t put him in only because how good he’s been practicing . Duke needs players in the back court with the injuries piling up and Schutt is the only guard left .

I like Schutt but he doesn't look ready. Grayson was on a loaded team and scored 27 when he started. They are kind of worlds apart. Schutt is more like O'Connell or Melchioni. He could be in the rotation next year if guys leave.
Lee Melchioni was pretty decent player. Schutt will be in rotation next year and is better than you realize.

OFC

Lee Melchioni was pretty decent player. Schutt will be in rotation next year and is better than you realize.

OFC
Melchioni averaged 7 ppg as a JR on a very overachieving Duke team that got a 1 seed but wasn’t very good. And he averaged 5 ppg as a SR on the JJ Sheldon 06 team. That team always felt like a guy or 2 short and an upgrade at the Melchioni spot may have been the answer.

Not trying to bash a former player. But if Schutt peaks at being “Melchioni” than I’d consider that a recruiting misfire. Let’s hope the next time he gets in he gets some open looks and knocks them down.

Reactions: Fourteen44 and GAAP
I liked Lee I wasn't insulting Schutt. His ceiling is Grayson, but he's more of a Blakes level recruit. Which is fine. The Florida schools really wanted Grayson. If Scutt was outgunning everyone in practice he would have gotten more run. He may flourish next year. Get him a few minutes a game

Last edited:
Melchioni averaged 7 ppg as a JR on a very overachieving Duke team that got a 1 seed but wasn’t very good. And he averaged 5 ppg as a SR on the JJ Sheldon 06 team. That team always felt like a guy or 2 short and an upgrade at the Melchioni spot may have been the answer.

Not trying to bash a former player. But if Schutt peaks at being “Melchioni” than I’d consider that a recruiting misfire. Let’s hope the next time he gets in he gets some open looks and knocks them down.
I always thought a team needed a guy like a Melchionni (two n's I believe) as a real loyal team player who sticks around and does a lot of the dirty work. He was no Gary obviously, but it can be difficult to carry on a family legacy. I don't look at Lee as a "recruiting misfire." OFC

Reactions: christophero
I liked Lee I wasn't insulting Schutt. His ceiling is Grayson, but he's more of a Blakes level recruit. Which is fine. The Florida schools really wanted Grayson. If Scutt was outgunning everyone in practice he would have gotten more run. He may flourish next year. Get him a few minutes a game
He and Grayson Allen, nah just nah

Your missing my entire point . Who else is left on the bench should Roach go down again( like when he hurt his wrist last night) Blakes with a nose break and Whitehead out ? Your telling me Proctor and Grandison as the only guards is depth? He played Schutt against GT because there was no better game left besides maybe Louisville to start building his confidence . Your saying he received four minutes in the first none in the second goes to my point that he didn’t put him in only because how good he’s been practicing . Duke needs players in the back court with the injuries piling up and Schutt is the only guard left .
Whatever. Your point keeps changing. First, it was that Jon had no choice in the GT game but to play Schutt because Roach and Blakes were not 100%. Now, your point has become IF one of our guards became injured to the point that he could not contribute reliably, THEN Schutt might have to come in. As things actually were with WF and given that Schutt was the only other guard after Blakes, Proctor, Roach, and Grandison, Jon obviously did not feel that he had no choice but to play him. Jon is comfortable enough with those four guys that he saw no reason to play Schutt, other than to get his feet wet. I seriously doubt that at this point Jon looks at Schutt as an adequate replacement for any of the other four, and certainly not the two who are our only PG's. Schutt plays now solely for development purposes, and if his performance during practice was not improving, he would not have seen even the very limited time that he did receive. OFC

I think getting Schutt a few minutes a game is important. Maybe not UNC or Virginia, but other games. He needs to get used to the speed of the game, and you can't get that in practice. He also needs to see what he needs to work on to be a key guy in the future.

Whatever. Your point keeps changing. First, it was that Jon had no choice in the GT game but to play Schutt because Roach and Blakes were not 100%. Now, your point has become IF one of our guards became injured to the point that he could not contribute reliably, THEN Schutt might have to come in. As things actually were with WF and given that Schutt was the only other guard after Blakes, Proctor, Roach, and Grandison, Jon obviously did not feel that he had no choice but to play him. Jon is comfortable enough with those four guys that he saw no reason to play Schutt, other than to get his feet wet. I seriously doubt that at this point Jon looks at Schutt as an adequate replacement for any of the other four, and certainly not the two who are our only PG's. Schutt plays now solely for development purposes, and if his performance during practice was not improving, he would not have seen even the very limited time that he did receive. OFC
That’s the same point so how is it changing ?
Both are the same weather someone is already injured or one gets injured . Why do you keep bringing up pgs I didn’t say anything about position I simply said guard !
Jon is looking for production from the back court from anyone not named Roach . And as clear as it has become the only thing Grandison has over Schutt at this point is experience at the college level nothing more point production, rebounding or defense wise . IMO, he should have been playing some of Grandisons minutes but to say he’s been practicing good enough for minutes NOW half way through the season enough to get on the court and not earlier is crazy . Your telling me if Whitehead doesn’t go down, Roach doesn’t have a reoccurring injury and Blakes doesn’t have a broken nose. We see Schutt on the court ?
So to answer your question if he’s been practicing so well he should get minutes against UNC right?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT