ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk a little Duke football.

No excuses for what happened yesterday. This team had TWO EXTRA DAYS to prepare and showed up like "we beat UNC, our work is done." Sadly it reminded me of some of the beatings we took in the ""pre-Cut" days...This one is on the TEAM and The Coaching Staff.....

OFC
When is Cut going to see the forest? What possible reason could he possibly have for keeping Knowles after the Pitt game? Loyalty to assistant coaches should not outweigh an obvious need for new defensive blood and schemes. We have enough talent to field a better than bad defense. Heck, Navy Wake, Vandy and NW do not get trampled like that.

Reactions: hart2chesson
When is Cut going to see the forest? What possible reason could he possibly have for keeping Knowles after the Pitt game? Loyalty to assistant coaches should not outweigh an obvious need for new defensive blood and schemes. We have enough talent to field a better than bad defense. Heck, Navy Wake, Vandy and NW do not get trampled like that.

Cut must make some moves....Granted, we shut down Tribusky 2nd half, but by and large a VETERAN secondary has struggled all year (no team looks back at the ball less than our dbs!!) Cut changes are in order, even if it means sending a friend on his way!

OFC

eeehhhh dont know how good it really is. i like sirk but he will miss spring practice plus most of preseason practices. yes he will be a senior back up but i think this will be the final straw for parker. no reason for him to come back if a guy with three blown achilles is back. on top of that there is smoke that quentin harris is also perhaps transfering.out. with daniels surge to the top and two solid kids coming in to qb the next two years.his window seems to be getting very small.
ps wish cut would make some changes but he wont. this is what happened at old miss before they canned him. they said new or else and he chose or else. he is greatly loyal to staff.

Sirk was granted a 6th year. Should be a great qb competition in spring ball.
I was glad to see that! I just hope Duke will be better next year, and get back to a bowl game. Very depressed not to see them in a bowl this year, but on the bright side, the victory bell is back where it belongs and the epic win over ND. Certainly won't forget that anytime soon!

eeehhhh dont know how good it really is. i like sirk but he will miss spring practice plus most of preseason practices. yes he will be a senior back up but i think this will be the final straw for parker. no reason for him to come back if a guy with three blown achilles is back. on top of that there is smoke that quentin harris is also perhaps transfering.out. with daniels surge to the top and two solid kids coming in to qb the next two years.his window seems to be getting very small.
ps wish cut would make some changes but he wont. this is what happened at old miss before they canned him. they said new or else and he chose or else. he is greatly loyal to staff.

Agree w/most everything you said Surf! Daniel clearly earned the starting spot, but Parker's deserved a better fate. He definitely deserved more reps early on, when DJ was struggling, and Cut's been very hesitant to use him all year even in short ydg situations...I can see him and Harris leaving, and it could be we might not have the luxury of putting a RS on Katernick.(Of course I am hoping for Sirk to be healthy).

You're probably right on point about Cut's stubborness, but hes not getting any younger. If Dr.White wants some changes on staff after a disappointing year, Cut may have no choice bit to turn Knowles and Derek Jones loose....

OFC

I was reading Cut's comments on the Pitt game. He said our offense is a "physical" offense. In light of Duke's undersized offensive line and smallish running backs and wide receivers, my only thought was "what has he been smoking?"

So I was at the pinecrest vs heritage football game last night. gunnar went 15 for 20 totaling 196 yards and also had 4 rushes for 11 yards. he looked very solid to me in beating a good football squad.

It's just about kick off time. We owe these guys for the crap game that happened last year. We can win this one. 3:30 on ESPN2.

I wasn't sold on Jones as QB to start the season but I think he's going to be a good one. He improved throughout the season and is tough as nails. Him and Rahmig are becoming a nice combination.

I wasn't sold on Jones as QB to start the season but I think he's going to be a good one. He improved throughout the season and is tough as nails. Him and Rahmig are becoming a nice combination.
Those 2 never stopped competing

OFC

Reactions: SWEc/o95
The injury bug did us in this year. I think we go to a bowl next year. OFC

We had more than our share of injuries granted. However the team that beat Notre Dame on road and UNC could just as easily beat Wake, UVA and Northwestern....In fact had they won any one of those they would be in a bowl as a 5-7 qualifier on academic performance....Its on the coaches for an outdated defensive scheme(eveyone burns our dbs in that 4-2-5) and never developing special teams.....Changes on staff a MUST amongst Cut's assistants...OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
We had more than our share of injuries granted. However the team that beat Notre Dame on road and UNC could just as easily beat Wake, UVA and Northwestern....In fact had they won any one of those they would be in a bowl as a 5-7 qualifier on academic performance....Its on the coaches for an outdated defensive scheme(eveyone burns our dbs in that 4-2-5) and never developing special teams.....Changes on staff a MUST amongst Cut's assistants...OFC
I agree, all the other team has to do is send everyone long. That obe Miami pass yesterday was like a pop fly but still couldnt defend it

The worst part of not going bowling? Missing out on the extra practices. That is huge. Could be a problem going forward.

The worst part of not going bowling? Missing out on the extra practices. That is huge. Could be a problem going forward.

Definitely hurts development....Special teams, pass coverage need all the work possible!

My hope is that Blackledge does the game v. Alabama. That would be a dream of mine: watching Duke and listening to Blackledge. He's the best in the business.

My guess is Cutcliffe reassesses everything before next year. He is loyal but also wants to win and knows how to win. I agree, there seems to be an ongoing problem with our secondary even before the injury bug hit. I still attribute it to having smaller and in some cases slower athletes back there. But more importantly, our line play on both sides is sorely lacking. QBs have way too much time to throw long. Our run game is spotty at best. I choose to believe the failing is not as much with the coaches but rather with the lack of athletes on the lines and in the secondary. It will be interesting to see what happens with the coaches however.

And I hope there are a bunch of Duke soccer players practicing kicking the odd shaped ball before next season.

My guess is Cutcliffe reassesses everything before next year. He is loyal but also wants to win and knows how to win. I agree, there seems to be an ongoing problem with our secondary even before the injury bug hit. I still attribute it to having smaller and in some cases slower athletes back there. But more importantly, our line play on both sides is sorely lacking. QBs have way too much time to throw long. Our run game is spotty at best. I choose to believe the failing is not as much with the coaches but rather with the lack of athletes on the lines and in the secondary. It will be interesting to see what happens with the coaches however.

And I hope there are a bunch of Duke soccer players practicing kicking the odd shaped ball before next season.

All good points!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad

A lot on this board seem to think that talent is improving year-to-year. However, results are getting worse in every area. It is not like Pitt, or Tech, or Wake, or Vandy, or Navy, or Boise State, or BYU, or a few other are kicking our butt in recruiting. The fact is that they have way better defenses which have shown improvement, unlike Duke's. The lack of improvement, notwithstanding better talent, evidences a serious coaching issue. If nothing changes substantially on defense we are in for more pain.

A lot on this board seem to think that talent is improving year-to-year. However, results are getting worse in every area. It is not like Pitt, or Tech, or Wake, or Vandy, or Navy, or Boise State, or BYU, or a few other are kicking our butt in recruiting. The fact is that they have way better defenses which have shown improvement, unlike Duke's. The lack of improvement, notwithstanding better talent, evidences a serious coaching issue. If nothing changes substantially on defense we are in for more pain.

No question-our recruiting has supposedly trended upwards and even w/Cash 2nd half of season last yr the defense was rather poor....Your assessment is very much on target!

OFC

Last edited:

Well I guess the best thing to do is go ahead and fire Coach Cut. Got any ideas on a replacement. I'm sure there are just several top notch coaches out there just itching to coach Duke. How about Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saban. I know go get Bobby Patrino. Now there's a coach with character and integrity. Maybe we could get Butch Davis. Yeah I know he just got a job but you know he's wanting to get back into the ACC. He could bring his old unc staff with him. It seems like we keep on questioning our coach. Just remember he really hung in there with us when the chips were really down and had so many opportunities to go to higher rated football programs than Duke so I think we owe him the benefit of hanging with him through this tough out of the ordinary season. OFC

Sky I have NEVER questioned Cut's ability to coach and I support him fully. Hes worth every penny of the 1.7 mil hes paid annually....Unfortunately our assistants arent coaching the guys up properly, and schmeatically we are falling far too short in areas like pass coverage, special teams, etc....

Besides its not totally up to Cut. I think Dr Kevin White may indeed suggest off season changes per staff and/or overhaul things like our defensive coverage, D staff.(hes spearheaded a lot of the fundraising into Duke football)..I have followed Duke football since the Murray era and the last two weeks were two of the WORST 2ND HALVES I have witnessed back to back.....After the UNC GAME, team/staff relaxed when a bowl bid and revenge at Miami should have been prioritized.

I will submit this-Cut does need to get 6 wins next year. Hes not getting any younger, and back to back losing campaigns in his 10th year would not bode well for his future.Hes established WINNING at Duke, and he could fall prey to the Jim Grobe type slide at Wake a few short years ago....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
How are the results getting worse from year to year? I mean that as an honest question. If we are just going by record, then okay, but last yeAR we won a thrilling bowl game. The 3 years prior we showed great in the most entertaining bowl games of the respective seasons, including giving a very good Texas A&M team a run for their money.

I suppose I understand the doom and gloom, but again, I came into Duke football when it was awful. We took Louisville down to the wire, beat UNCheat, and improved as the season went on (in my opinion).

Sorry fellas, but I'm excited about the future of this program. I'm sure some tweeks are necessary, but I don't think wholesale changes are. Our QB was a red shirt freshmen that improved by leaps and bounds. Our defense lost the ACC defensive player of the year and looked really good at times.

Keep fighting Cut. Can't wait to watch these kids next season.

dbav if you watched the last 6 games WE CLEARLY did a massive nosedive....Sure we looked great in BATTLING U of L, Va Tech Georgia Tech and yes GETTING THE BELL BACK vs UNC.....After that, for whatevrr reason the WAVE CRASHED, and we went down 96-35.

Major disappointment when we were still battling for a bowl, and should have been poised to continue to play our BEST BALL! Thus I would agree w/you when we improved as year went on from say the horrendous loss to a 2-10 UVA team to Louisville to UNC...Unfortunately the final two weeks negated a possible bowl, and couldnt put the best taste in recruits mouths...

I am all for Cut too, I just want some "tweeks" as well, perhaps overhauls....Our pass coverage and kicking game cannot get much worse...

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT