ADVERTISEMENT

Joey??

Nolan Smith was little used his freshman year and on a very short leash his sophomore year. He stuck it out and became a 2 time AA. I'm sure he's telling Joey his story.
I mean yeah i get that but at the same time Duke wasn’t bringing in 4-6 new 5 stars every year. I really hope Joey sticks around but i really can’t blame him if not.

I feel for the kid. Came in early, red shirted...was asked to forgo that ....then didnt get the minutes, now another class gets here and they get the preferential treatment for game time...and he has to sit. I'm all for earning minutes but also I'm all for giving players a chance to show their best too who have shown commitment to the team

Hang in there everyone, we just came off a huuuuuuuuge win in the 1st game of the season, against the #3 team in the country! I think we need to let this process play out.
Nothing wrong with a discussion on why Joey didn't play much, but there was a reason, and we will find out soon.
Just try to keep in mind, "IT'S GONNA BE OK".
And just as a side note, I am going to miss the next 3(?) games because of the ACCN :mad: Thinking of entering the transfer portal myself!! :)
If you don't know, I get real upset when I don't get to see Duke play. :(

Go Duke!
OFC

Hang in there everyone, we just came off a huuuuuuuuge win in the 1st game of the season, against the #3 team in the country! I think we need to let this process play out.
Nothing wrong with a discussion on why Joey didn't play much, but there was a reason, and we will find out soon.
Just try to keep in mind, "IT'S GONNA BE OK".
And just as a side note, I am going to miss the next 3(?) games because of the ACCN :mad: Thinking of entering the transfer portal myself!! :)
If you don't know, I get real upset when I don't get to see Duke play. :(

Go Duke!
OFC
We’re gonna be watching your body language and if you give high fives or not.........

I feel for the kid. Came in early, red shirted...was asked to forgo that ....then didnt get the minutes, now another class gets here and they get the preferential treatment for game time...and he has to sit. I'm all for earning minutes but also I'm all for giving players a chance to show their best too who have shown commitment to the team

Was he asked to forgo his redshirt? I seem to remember different.

And in one breath you're saying you want him to earn his minutes, but in the next he should be given a chance. What makes you think that's not exactly what's going down? It's possible right now that the staff doesn't feel he's done enough to earn those minutes. Don't get me wrong, I want Joey to play, too....but you and I would both be making assumptions based on knowing nothing by saying otherwise.

Sounds like something you’d read on THR. Just saying.

Reactions: dukesince91
I think Baker should insist on being called Joseph. Joey doesn't sound tough enough and it reminds people of Joey Beard who didn't work out here.

So maybe it's the name...

Joseph sounds better. Isn't a joey a baby kangaroo or wallaby or something?

It amazes me how some fans still think players should get playing time based on a previous game or experience. It's all about match ups and what the coaches see in practice. We've seen 2 exhibition games and then a game against the #3 team in the nation. The coaches are at every practice, workouts, and see the players on a daily basis. I'll always defer to the coaches on playing time. I might think they could have used a better in game strategy though, but that's still much easier sitting in my recliner.

JRob didn’t play either. Is he transferring too?
JRob wasn’t recruited by Duke, He didn’t come in a year early , he wasn’t a five star recruit in his class and didn’t burn his red shirt year after both parties agreed he could help in some form or fashion. You can’t always compare one player to another. JRob was a preferred walkon

Was he asked to forgo his redshirt? I seem to remember different.

And in one breath you're saying you want him to earn his minutes, but in the next he should be given a chance. What makes you think that's not exactly what's going down? It's possible right now that the staff doesn't feel he's done enough to earn those minutes. Don't get me wrong, I want Joey to play, too....but you and I would both be making assumptions based on knowing nothing by saying otherwise.
In an interview he stated he asked first then the team asked him to think about it prior to the Zion in jury then after a injury it became a mutual interest between both parties. Him and the coaching staff felt he could help which led to the decision being made.

In an interview he stated he asked first then the team asked him to think about it prior to the Zion in jury then after a injury it became a mutual interest between both parties. Him and the coaching staff felt he could help which led to the decision being made.

Appreciate the background, I hadnt heard that

I have a gut feeling he’ll transfer. I don’t really read into body language but when you look at who we’re bringing in and who we’re recruiting it’s very hard to see him getting a lot of playing time. Based off one game it doesn’t look like he’ll be getting too much playing time this year(that can change). His junior year we’re bringing in jalen Johnson, Henry coleman, and Jaemyn Brakefield and they all play the 3 and 4. And Wendell might be returning as well and possibly even Hurt but i really doubt that.
His senior year we already have Griffin committed and we’re still going after Kuminga, Baldwin, and Banchero who all play around the same position. Plus Coleman and Brakefield aren’t one and dones. I just don’t see the playing time for him. I really hope he sticks around but i can’t blame him if he doesn’t. One of the negatives about going after all these 5 stars is it’s hard to develop the other guys. But you really can’t say no to them if they want to come.

I think the expectation of a recruit who says YES to DUKE, has to know they will be surrounded by talent (some better than you and some maybe not) but you also know you have to compete. IF you cant cut the mustard at DUKE how can you make it in the NBA.. DUKE practices alone should bolster their skill sets, practicing against lottery picks day in and day out has to be a bonus if you buy in. Kids want instant gratification and the fact of the matter is every 5 star isn't ready for the NBA after 1 yr or 3 yrs for that matter. Furthermore how many DUKE transfers have made it to the NBA (I'm sure not even half of those who leave have). My point is K knows talent and he knows what it takes to get a kid in the NBA, he knows when a kid is ready and knows when a kid needs more time to develop. Joey will be a heck of a player if he buys what K is selling him. just my humble opinion. GO DUKE!!

Reactions: christophero
JRob wasn’t recruited by Duke, He didn’t come in a year early , he wasn’t a five star recruit in his class and didn’t burn his red shirt year after both parties agreed he could help in some form or fashion. You can’t always compare one player to another. JRob was a preferred walkon

While their situations coming in were different, their roles are very similar and IMO, I’d play JRob over Joey right now. Similar efficiency as shooters but JRob is a better defender.

While their situations coming in were different, their roles are very similar and IMO, I’d play JRob over Joey right now. Similar efficiency as shooters but JRob is a better defender.
Oh on this I agree one hundred percent as far as playing JRob even stated in multiple threads wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a couple minutes from White and Javin this season and him being named captain just further cements that.

I don’t see their roles being similar though. Joey is a sf while JRob more of a stretch four with good defensive awareness around the rim. That and JRob was a preferred walk on not recruited to come to Duke.

Wasn’t JRob asked to try out for his walk on spot? I thought in an interview when he was announced as a preferred walk on he said he came to Duke for academics and had to be persuaded by some of the players to join the team.

Reactions: dukehokie
Another coach who doesn't smile a lot is Scheyer. This really bothers me. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. It's so important that we as Duke fans and DI board members keep an open eye on other things than just the play on the court. Maybe we could assign different board members to watch the bench and reaction of players not getting the pt. I think we all should get involved. I'm not video savvy by no means but is there a way some of us could have video of what is happening on the bench each game when the cameras show the bench. We could actually see the body language and facial expressions on a game to game basis and analyze it after every game. OFC;) OFC
I'll keep my eye on Singler's and Curry's moms.

Justin Robinson came to duke as a preferred walk on lol. It’s absolutely absurd that Joey gets no burn after putting on a great performance in the pre season when given an opportunity. It really sucks the way everyone talks about multi year players here at duke now. Did we forget that multi year players are supposed to improve as they get older? Or are we so used to seeing coach k pull out the royal carpet for five stars that we are blinded that maybe just maybe we have some guys who can do damage if worked with? Comments like “ well so and so left after seeing what was coming next year “ boggle my mind. Why can’t we expect the guys who stay here, to get better enough to push the newcomers for minutes or at least be serviceable back ups?

Maybe baker isn’t ready for big minutes at duke, but he sure as heck deserves a shot to prove that he’s not. Duke burned this kid’s red shirt for absolutely nothing, wasn’t given a fair shot and now ( coming off a really good game) is back in the dog house. I wouldn’t be shocked if he transfers but I’m really starting to hate the lack of support and opportunity for guys who want to make duke their home for more than a year.
I assume that if Joey gets more burn it is going to be at the expense of AOC. If he starts taking those minutes like you suggest, couldn't you literally use your exact post while changing the names? You want vets to get some run at the expense of other vets.

Reactions: christophero
it's a tough spot for Joey. I want to see him contribute as well, but if AOC continues his solid play and Wendell emerges as he should, that is 2 more guys ahead of him. And Cassius looks like the real deal already. And Jack is playing very well.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
Of joey dosent play in tonight's game or the next I would hope they have a plan to redshirt him this year
I dont see a redshirt happening. It's going to be a transfer. Look at who's coming in. Will he have more experience on them, Yes. But Johnson is better IMO. So that's the SF position. Possibly Moore too. AOC will be the SG next year, and he will have a good chance to get the backup SG minutes next year. But the SF position is a lost cause for Baker next year... I think he will be ahead of Steward next year, but that's still too far ahead to keep assuming anything. Anything could happen between now and then... And also this year too... like I stated before, he just needs a chance to make an impact

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Oh on this I agree one hundred percent as far as playing JRob even stated in multiple threads wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a couple minutes from White and Javin this season and him being named captain just further cements that.

I don’t see their roles being similar though. Joey is a sf while JRob more of a stretch four with good defensive awareness around the rim. That and JRob was a preferred walk on not recruited to come to Duke.

Wasn’t JRob asked to try out for his walk on spot? I thought in an interview when he was announced as a preferred walk on he said he came to Duke for academics and had to be persuaded by some of the players to join the team.

He didn’t have to tryout. He was a “recruited” walk-on. He even announced his commitment. It wasn’t the same situation as Lee Melchionni, but he came in with a purpose.

Reactions: sheyduke
Thank Duke Hokie I meant to replace try out with asked but I didn’t take the first “ try out” lol.

Either way I hope I’m wrong on Baker

Reactions: dukehokie
I truly feel for the young man. I hope he sits this year out and stays at Duke.

Many of us have seen this movie before, but hopefully the ending won't be the same.

Hang in there Baker and sit this year out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT