ADVERTISEMENT

Joey??

I'm going to start keeping my eye on him during time outs and shots of the bench. Didn't even think about it last night but I will from now on. I did notice at one time Coach Nate James had a very stern and serious look on his face. You know he's been with Duke a long time and I wonder if he feels underappreciated. Anyone else notice this? I think you can tell a lot about a person by the look on their face. OFC
I do this alot. Its easy to put a smile on when things are going well but its when things are going bad what is your body saying. Are you sulking do you look disconnected or are you up encouaraging your teammates engaged in the game/huddle.

One of the things I looked for in Dukes celebration videos after the game was Joey. In the locker room he was kinda sitting in the back and just seemed a bit off.

I like aome do feel there was a time during rhe game when all of Dukes wings was having a terrible stretch and Dukes Offense couldnt buy a shot. Joey would of been ideal to sub in and see if he could get a good look at a 3 and slow the bleeding.

The kid has game no doubt. Now I do believe he probably is a step behind athletically and defensively but for him to see no playing time at all is just dissapointing to me. I feel when it's all said and done this kid will explore optiona elsewhere and light it up at another program. If he does I for one will be rooting for him cause he seems like a class act and a good young man that puts his team first.

Here to hoping he decides to stay and continue to work on his game to the point he can't be denied the PT

I'm going to start keeping my eye on him during time outs and shots of the bench. Didn't even think about it last night but I will from now on. I did notice at one time Coach Nate James had a very stern and serious look on his face. You know he's been with Duke a long time and I wonder if he feels underappreciated. Anyone else notice this? I think you can tell a lot about a person by the look on their face. OFC
To go with this most of the first half Baker wasn’t his self. Usually first off the bench always smiling and cheering on his teammates.

Reactions: hart2chesson

In fairness to Joey and everyone else, let's be patient. If there is no change by game 6 and Nate is sitting between him and the rest of the team...be concerned.

I won't give him the Alex Mur, J. Tucker or Mike G nod until at least December.

Has Duke ever redshirted a soph, junior or senior that did not involve medical? If so, Joey needs that year. If not, Joey can start the trend.

Kansas, AZ, MSU, and FL are high profile schools that have redshirt players that did not medical.

Has Duke ever redshirted a soph, junior or senior that did not involve medical? If so, Joey needs that year. If not, Joey can start the trend.

Kansas, AZ, MSU, and FL are high profile schools that have redshirt players that did not medical.
Andre Dawkins

I do this alot. Its easy to put a smile on when things are going well but its when things are going bad what is your body saying. Are you sulking do you look disconnected or are you up encouaraging your teammates engaged in the game/huddle.

Another coach who doesn't smile a lot is Scheyer. This really bothers me. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. It's so important that we as Duke fans and DI board members keep an open eye on other things than just the play on the court. Maybe we could assign different board members to watch the bench and reaction of players not getting the pt. I think we all should get involved. I'm not video savvy by no means but is there a way some of us could have video of what is happening on the bench each game when the cameras show the bench. We could actually see the body language and facial expressions on a game to game basis and analyze it after every game. OFC;) OFC

Another coach who doesn't smile a lot is Scheyer. This really bothers me. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. It's so important that we as Duke fans and DI board members keep an open eye on other things than just the play on the court. Maybe we could assign different board members to watch the bench and reaction of players not getting the pt. I think we all should get involved. I'm not video savvy by no means but is there a way some of us could have video of what is happening on the bench each game when the cameras show the bench. We could actually see the body language and facial expressions on a game to game basis and analyze it after every game. OFC;) OFC
I have my tv programmed split screen one watching the play and the other the bench. I get a jump on bad attitudes and possible transfers. I can also watch the college football gurus discuss whose in the playoffs if I choose to do so_OFC

Last edited:
I have my tv programmed split screen one watching the play and the other the bench. I get a jump on bad attitudes and possible transfers. I can also watch the college football gurus discuss whose in the playoffs if I choose to do so.

That's awesome kingbluedevil. You are our eyes that will help us know what is rally going on. Keep up the good work. :) OFC

Yeah I tend to watch the bench during games too, and noticed Joey's demeanor. I even noticed that after the game, in the video they posted on Instagram when Tre came running into the locker room, the team was up and celebrating, and Joey was sitting down by himself then he got up and joined them.

Yeah I tend to watch the bench during games too, and noticed Joey's demeanor. I even noticed that after the game, in the video they posted on Instagram when Tre came running into the locker room, the team was up and celebrating, and Joey was sitting down by himself then he got up and joined them.

If Baker is thinking about transferring I hope he does it quickly both for the good of himself and Duke. Hope he waits it out though. OFC

Andre Dawkins

It's been documented Dawkins had personal challenges. I'm talking strictly basketball. Sit out a season because because you won't get playing time and come back the following year because it's a better chance for pt.

JRob didn’t play either. Is he transferring too?

Justin Robinson came to duke as a preferred walk on lol. It’s absolutely absurd that Joey gets no burn after putting on a great performance in the pre season when given an opportunity. It really sucks the way everyone talks about multi year players here at duke now. Did we forget that multi year players are supposed to improve as they get older? Or are we so used to seeing coach k pull out the royal carpet for five stars that we are blinded that maybe just maybe we have some guys who can do damage if worked with? Comments like “ well so and so left after seeing what was coming next year “ boggle my mind. Why can’t we expect the guys who stay here, to get better enough to push the newcomers for minutes or at least be serviceable back ups?

Maybe baker isn’t ready for big minutes at duke, but he sure as heck deserves a shot to prove that he’s not. Duke burned this kid’s red shirt for absolutely nothing, wasn’t given a fair shot and now ( coming off a really good game) is back in the dog house. I wouldn’t be shocked if he transfers but I’m really starting to hate the lack of support and opportunity for guys who want to make duke their home for more than a year.

We have a few easier games coming up,he should get some playing time here,hopefully he can show K that he can contribute on offence,and show improvement on the defensive end,that's going to be his biggest issue.

It's hard to know for sure because we have seen so little of Joey, but my assumption is K knew we had to grind out an ugly victory against Kansas with our defense and Joey just isn't ready for that type of physical game.
An up-and-down higher scoring game, say against UNCheat, we probably could have used Joey's offense.

We all know Joey can shoot, he's probably the best shooter on the team. But he's still super thin, and I'm assuming is a below average defender at this stage of his career.

These next few games against mid-major opponents should tell the story, hopefully Joey gets some clock and makes some three's for us.

Last edited:
It's hard to know for sure because we have seen so little of Joey, but my assumption is K knew we had to grind out an ugly victory against Kansas with our defense and Joey just isn't ready for that type of physical game.
An up-and-down higher scoring game, say against UNCheat, we probably could have used Joey's offense.

We all know Joey can shoot, he's probably the best shooter on the team. But he's still super thin, and I'm assuming is a below average defender at this stage of his career.

These next few games against mid-major opponents should tell the story, hopefully Joey gets some clock and makes some three's for us.
Agree completely.

Those who watched Joey against Ft. Valley St. saw how slow-footed he was on defense. The Kansas game quickly became about getting stops at the expense of getting shots. At several points we had 3 non-scorers (Javin, Goldwire, and White) on the floor at the same time--which is a rarity for Coach K. Clearly, the game flow dictated the substitution patterns (AOC and Stanley in particular were rewarded with extra minutes due to their impact). Like everyone else on this board, I hope the non-conference slate over the next two months allow more opportunities for Joey. And I hope he capitalizes on them, because there will be important games where we need floor spacing and someone to step up and knock down four 3s in a row.

Justin Robinson came to duke as a preferred walk on lol. It’s absolutely absurd that Joey gets no burn after putting on a great performance in the pre season when given an opportunity. It really sucks the way everyone talks about multi year players here at duke now. Did we forget that multi year players are supposed to improve as they get older? Or are we so used to seeing coach k pull out the royal carpet for five stars that we are blinded that maybe just maybe we have some guys who can do damage if worked with? Comments like “ well so and so left after seeing what was coming next year “ boggle my mind. Why can’t we expect the guys who stay here, to get better enough to push the newcomers for minutes or at least be serviceable back ups?

Maybe baker isn’t ready for big minutes at duke, but he sure as heck deserves a shot to prove that he’s not. Duke burned this kid’s red shirt for absolutely nothing, wasn’t given a fair shot and now ( coming off a really good game) is back in the dog house. I wouldn’t be shocked if he transfers but I’m really starting to hate the lack of support and opportunity for guys who want to make duke their home for more than a year.
Going by your own logic, AOC has put more time into the program than Baker and has been a more impactful player on the defensive end so far this year. In fact, he was treated similarly last season when we needed shooters but his defense wasn’t up to par. Coach K always tightens his bench in big games like that and the priority this year is defense. Joey is not a great defender yet and that is most likely the reason he didn’t see the court. We weren’t going to win that game by having another scorer in there if it meant Kansas getting easier looks and not turning it over as much. If we don’t see Joey in the next game I will officially be worried about him.

Several things to think about here:
- Joey reportedly missed a practice for some reason and that could have impacted his potential to get into the game
- the staff see him in practice daily and maybe his D or something is not where they want it to be yet
- Lets see if he gets minutes on Friday

This happening to players at Duke is no surprise. Alex Murphy, Olek, and others and I think that Joey's situation is looking a lot like Alex M

Look. Joey is smiling again. Obviously the puppies were a ploy by the coaching staff to dissuade Baker from transferring. Well played, K.

74696610_10157851688714456_2431568800890486784_o.jpg

I have my tv programmed split screen one watching the play and the other the bench. I get a jump on bad attitudes and possible transfers. I can also watch the college football gurus discuss whose in the playoffs if I choose to do so_OFC
Well, I didn't program my TV, but for some reason I got a split screen with one half watching the game and the other watching Kirk Herbstreit.

Several things to think about here:
- Joey reportedly missed a practice for some reason and that could have impacted his potential to get into the game
- the staff see him in practice daily and maybe his D or something is not where they want it to be yet
- Lets see if he gets minutes on Friday

This happening to players at Duke is no surprise. Alex Murphy, Olek, and others and I think that Joey's situation is looking a lot like Alex M

Except Alex had a legit redshirt year under his belt. If Joey can redshirt it will be beneficial.

I don't mind Joey not stealing minutes from Alex against Kansas because Alex had a good game. What bothers me is all the times we saw Alex last year when his play warranted at seeing what Joey looked like. We have a soft schedule coming up until ACC play. If Alex doesn't play well, yet Joey can't get in at all, then I'm going to be scratching my head again.

Nolan Smith was little used his freshman year and on a very short leash his sophomore year. He stuck it out and became a 2 time AA. I'm sure he's telling Joey his story.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The bigger picture is that Duke was able to grind out a win with defense. I think all of us would have taken that just a short two or three years ago.

IMO, it's a little premature to start panicking after one game....especially one in which was played and won against the third-ranked team in the country.

Now, would I have liked to see Joey? Sure. I don't have the answers to why he didn't play or why someone did....but I try to trust the process, as hard as that can be sometimes.

Nolan Smith was little used his freshman year and on a very short leash his sophomore year. He stuck it out and became a 2 time AA. I'm sure he's telling Joey his story.

Nolan played 14.7 mpg his freshman year and even started a game - not sure it’s the best comparison but if he can sell Joey on that, that’s a heck of a convincing!

It’s absolutely absurd that Joey gets no burn after putting on a great performance in the pre season when given an opportunity. It really sucks the way everyone talks about multi year players here at duke now. Did we forget that multi year players are supposed to improve as they get older? Or are we so used to seeing coach k pull out the royal carpet for five stars that we are blinded that maybe just maybe we have some guys who can do damage if worked with? Comments like “ well so and so left after seeing what was coming next year “ boggle my mind. Why can’t we expect the guys who stay here, to get better enough to push the newcomers for minutes or at least be serviceable back ups?

I don't know that I'd classify it as "absurd"....seems a bit overboard. Disappointing? Maybe a little.

And how do people talk about multi-year players? We have quite a few multi-year players who played pivotal roles in our win the other night. And with the exception of Tre, it took those guys going through a process to get where they are right now in the program.

Lastly, Joey's going to get his shot, unless there's something we all don't know. Because that shot didn't come in the very first game of the season against the third-ranked team in the country....well, don't take this the wrong way, but you're the one piling on, not anyone else.

Joey should look at Jack as a model for putting in the work and being a contributor by junior year. But i think if he sticks it out he will play a role this year as well.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
If Joey is asked to redshirt this year, which I'm probably sure ISN'T going to happen, he will transfer out of the program. I think he will be used in games to come. He is a dang good shooter. He isn't the best defender by any means, but when you need to unclog the paint he will be needed. A line up of Tre, Joey, White, Hurt, and Vernon. Or Tre, Joey, Stanley, White, Vernon will make for a good rotation for him because they play stiffer defense with good shooting on the floor... imo he just needs to be given a chance to prove himself. I like him.

Joey should look at Jack as a model for putting in the work and being a contributor by junior year. But i think if he sticks it out he will play a role this year as well.
I agree that in theory Joey should look at Jack as far as putting in the work in order to get more playing time.
The problem is...Jack was an unranked recruit with no other major offers. Joey was a five-star recruit who came early to practice against elite athletes.

Now...Joey seems like a great kid (heck, Zion LOVED Joey last year, you could tell in any Duke Blue Planet interview). But is he willing to put in the work? We will see soon. K clearly isn't guaranteeing him playing time even though he was a five-star, Joey has to earn it.

My personal opinion on Joey. He's super skilled, always has been. He was ranked a five-star and K wanted him based on the hope that he would fill out and get A LOT bigger. Andddd that just hasn't happened, yet. Guys bodies grow at different times/rates, and Joey just seems to be a late bloomer. He still looks like a high-school kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT