ADVERTISEMENT

Joey??

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Just curious, I know K has a tough job rotating nine guys!! However was anyone else surprised we didnt find anytime for Baker? Don't misunderstand me, I am ecstatic with the W. I Just thought he would get a little PT after his 22pt showing last week. #DevilsOffToGreatStart

OFC

Mentioned this in the good morning thread. It’s pure speculation and opinion on my behalf nothing solid just looking at the entire picture.

Burnt his red shirt last year played very sparingly. Played in one exhibition game well and the first one I think a minute. Then start looking at what Duke has coming in next season and the following and they are still recruiting top notch players.

I could be wrong but he is the most likely candidate .

Mentioned this in the good morning thread. It’s pure speculation and opinion on my behalf nothing solid just looking at the entire picture.

Burnt his red shirt last year played very sparingly. Played in one exhibition game well and the first one I think a minute. Then start looking at what Duke has coming in next season and the following and they are still recruiting top notch players.

I could be wrong but he is the most likely candidate .

Shey good points. I just have this feeling down the line we'll need his perimeter shot. We'll watch and maybe he gets a shot vs CSU....OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Shey good points. I just have this feeling down the line we'll need his perimeter shot. We'll watch and maybe he gets a shot vs CSU....OFC
We may need his shot in the future but to some degree, the kid has to do what is best for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred. Assuming he was not sick or injured last night, he is probably pissed he didn't get some PT.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I was wondering the same...feeling bad for him as by all accounts he is hard worker and K obviously saw enough to ask him to enroll early, and to burn a 'shirt after seeing him in practice... Something not making sense. Maybe he had a knock or whatever. Hope he stays at Duke..you never know what's going on personally as well. i remember people all over Andre Dawkins a couple of times, not understanding some of the issues he has to deal with off court and off campus.

WE are 1 game into the season and already the transfer talk?
Well when Moore was forcing offense and Goldwire was coming in and the bench rotation stayed at Alex, Moore, Javin and White after Joey showed our in the second exhibition you kinda have to wonder. Not to mention the burnt red shirt which like stated above was pulled because both parties thought it was a good idea .

There must be something we haven't seen in practice. They may be worried he is going to give up too much on defense. If he can't guard anyone he isn't going to play. If K thought he could come in and stretch the D and hit a few threes without giving up too much on D he would put him in the game IMO.

not sure there is room in the rotation for him and AOC. It could be one or the other.

I guess the question is whether Baker wants to stay put and develop, or go somewhere that he can play a lot of minutes right away. Can't blame him either way.

I'm pretty sure he will get his chances as the season progresses,if he shows the ability to keep knocking down his shots,he will find his way into the rotation.Any one know what his free throw percentage is?? Looks like that may be a problem again this year.

Might as well go ahead and add that name to the portal. Next year he definitely won’t see the field. I see Moore coming back as of now unless he just takes off. That’ll be the 6 recruits with Alex, Goldwire and Moore. We aren’t going more than 9 players

I'm not the coach, and I don't claim to be one either, but that game hinged on Duke playing excellent defense, and I can't help but feel that K didn't want to take a chance on Joey's D. If Duke had been something like 1 of 14 or something from 3, I think K would have felt it was worth taking the chance to get his shooting on the floor, but Duke ended up 8 of 24 (which is serviceable)...especially considering the shot is a little longer this year. The risk wasn't worth the reward imo. I think Joey will see the floor when the game isn't quite a grinder like this one.

OFC

Let's not write him off just yet. Jack White only saw mop-up time his first two years. Same for Marshall Plumlee. Amile Jefferson wasn't really in rotation until Ryan Kelly got hurt. Grayson Allen wasn't seeing regular minutes until Sulaimon was off the team. Not saying Baker will be a big impact player. But K doesn't like to use a deep bench in tight games. Kind of encouraging that he even had 9 guys with 12+ minutes. He'll get some PT on Friday. He can always earn his minutes. K doesn't freely give them out to everyone.

Just curious, I know K has a tough job rotating nine guys!! However was anyone else surprised we didnt find anytime for Baker? Don't misunderstand me, I am ecstatic with the W. I Just thought he would get a little PT after his 22pt showing last week. #DevilsOffToGreatStart

OFC

Good question - just my opinion here - I think he'll be a game-by-game kind of sub. For example, last night I'm not sure who K would have subbed out for him. Stanley was playing big in the 2nd half, White was shattering KU's hopes and dreams with 50% vision, Hurt was the man...AOC in the 1st half was the best player on the floor. I mean...maybe you can make a case for Javin but he is just a much better defender/rebounder and was bodying up Dok. That's what we needed last night though.

I gotta say, K did a masterful job on the rotations last night

Joey was a 5 star high school player and likely has or had dreams of the playing pro ball. I hope he stays and becomes a dependable, go to player but we have so many players he may not see much playing time at Duke.

Hopefully he gets plenty of minutes over the next few weeks. Maybe it’s still last year playing on my mind but I can’t escape the feeling that we may need him at some points in the season if he is truly a great shooter. If White and AOC turn the corner from out there in terms of consistency then you won’t need him but I don’t think they’ve earned that level of trust yet. I’m already confident in Hurt. You can’t leave him open.

Good question - just my opinion here - I think he'll be a game-by-game kind of sub. For example, last night I'm not sure who K would have subbed out for him. Stanley was playing big in the 2nd half, White was shattering KU's hopes and dreams with 50% vision, Hurt was the man...AOC in the 1st half was the best player on the floor. I mean...maybe you can make a case for Javin but he is just a much better defender/rebounder and was bodying up Dok. That's what we needed last night though.

I gotta say, K did a masterful job on the rotations last night

This. Who do you replace for Joey? Last night was an athletic, physical game. That’s not his strong suit yet. There will be games he’s needed (Syracuse for instance). He’s an as needed sub for now. One day he’ll be a rotation player. He isn’t there yet.

Reactions: Friction.
I'm not the coach, and I don't claim to be one either, but that game hinged on Duke playing excellent defense, and I can't help but feel that K didn't want to take a chance on Joey's D. If Duke had been something like 1 of 14 or something from 3, I think K would have felt it was worth taking the chance to get his shooting on the floor, but Duke ended up 8 of 24 (which is serviceable)...especially considering the shot is a little longer this year. The risk wasn't worth the reward imo. I think Joey will see the floor when the game isn't quite a grinder like this one.

OFC
That’s what I was thinking. As good as he shot it from 3 in the exhibition game maybe he didn’t play because of defense with it being such a tight game.

One of the things I looked for in Dukes celebration videos after the game was Joey. In the locker room he was kinda sitting in the back and just seemed a bit off.

I like aome do feel there was a time during rhe game when all of Dukes wings was having a terrible stretch and Dukes Offense couldnt buy a shot. Joey would of been ideal to sub in and see if he could get a good look at a 3 and slow the bleeding.

The kid has game no doubt. Now I do believe he probably is a step behind athletically and defensively but for him to see no playing time at all is just dissapointing to me. I feel when it's all said and done this kid will explore optiona elsewhere and light it up at another program. If he does I for one will be rooting for him cause he seems like a class act and a good young man that puts his team first.

Here to hoping he decides to stay and continue to work on his game to the point he can't be denied the PT

Actually I have very little idea of what Baker can do because I have only seen glimpses of him. I liked what I saw. I assume the coaches have liked others more. I'm still hoping he gets his chance. What more can be said on the subject?

Reactions: sheyduke
One of the things I looked for in Dukes celebration videos after the game was Joey. In the locker room he was kinda sitting in the back and just seemed a bit off.

I like aome do feel there was a time during rhe game when all of Dukes wings was having a terrible stretch and Dukes Offense couldnt buy a shot. Joey would of been ideal to sub in and see if he could get a good look at a 3 and slow the bleeding.

The kid has game no doubt. Now I do believe he probably is a step behind athletically and defensively but for him to see no playing time at all is just dissapointing to me. I feel when it's all said and done this kid will explore optiona elsewhere and light it up at another program. If he does I for one will be rooting for him cause he seems like a class act and a good young man that puts his team first.

Here to hoping he decides to stay and continue to work on his game to the point he can't be denied the PT

Good Post...

OFC

I'm going to start keeping my eye on him during time outs and shots of the bench. Didn't even think about it last night but I will from now on. I did notice at one time Coach Nate James had a very stern and serious look on his face. You know he's been with Duke a long time and I wonder if he feels underappreciated. Anyone else notice this? I think you can tell a lot about a person by the look on their face. OFC

I'm going to start keeping my eye on him during time outs and shots of the bench. Didn't even think about it last night but I will from now on. I did notice at one time Coach Nate James had a very stern and serious look on his face. You know he's been with Duke a long time and I wonder if he feels underappreciated. Anyone else notice this? I think you can tell a lot about a person by the look on their face. OFC
Nate is gonna transfer.

That and high fives...how are the high fives?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT