ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Sumner

topps coach

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
Lexington sc
Read your what if regarding Larry Miller.My memory was that Dean was in trouble at UNC at that time and if he had not gotten him he would probably lost his job.Am I wrong?Also feel that K would have been fired if he had not got Dawkins.Remember the concerned Iron Dukes.

Read your what if regarding Larry Miller.My memory was that Dean was in trouble at UNC at that time and if he had not gotten him he would probably lost his job.Am I wrong?Also feel that K would have been fired if he had not got Dawkins.Remember the concerned Iron Dukes.

I very much remember the heavy hitters going after K. It actually reached a peak the year when Dawkins, Alarie et. al. were freshmen. Remember that team still lost 17 games.

Dean Smith? He had signed Bob Lewis and Ian Morrison the year before Miller. Both were Parade All-Americans but neither was targeted by Bubas. Smith was hung in effigy by the students early in the 1965 season. Smith was really hamstrung by the post Point-Shaving recruiting restrictions and I think it was clear that he was beginning to turn it around on the recruiting front.

I think K was more targeted by prominent donors than was Smith, although both took their hits. But Butters never wavered in his support for K and that's the key.

Thanks that is why Butters need to recognized as an all time great AD.Jmo if Dean or K started their career in today’s climate do not think either would survive

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT