ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Blakes on USA East Coast team

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
Release from Duke about Jaylen Blakes participating in an overseas event:

DURHAM – Duke sophomore men’s basketball guard Jaylen Blakes has been selected as a member of the USA East Coast Basketball roster. The team will honor USA Basketball’s original Dream Team this August as they compete in an overseas tour. Blakes’ squad, consisting of top collegiate players from around the country and led by NBA and college coaches, will travel to Barcelona for the 30th anniversary of the original Dream Team.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for Jaylen and we’re excited for him,” said Duke head coach Jon Scheyer. “We have high expectations for Jaylen this year and he’ll benefit greatly from the experience of playing internationally alongside some terrific college players.”

USA East Coast Basketball was founded in 2006 and has fielded teams of collegiate players for summer exhibition games since that time. This summer, USA East Coast Basketball is fielding two teams – Athens and Barcelona – that will compete on the international stage.

Barcelona’s roster consists of players from a variety of conferences, including the ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Pac-12 and American. Prior to traveling to Spain, a two-day training camp will tip-off on Aug. 1 at Columbia University. Once overseas, the team will have two additional days of training before playing three exhibition games against top players from Spain’s Liga ACB.

Blakes will team up with familiar faces from the ACC, as Benny Williams (Syracuse), John Hugley IV (Pittsburgh) and JR Konieczny (Notre Dame) are all on the roster as well. The head coach is Alex Jensen of the Utah Jazz.

Blakes did kind of get recruited over by Proctor, but it's Duke. And we lost a lot so we had to reload. I think he could carve out a role, but big minutes seem unlikely unless it's as a senior. He does look better. It's tough to see him playing a big role if he doesn't play much this year. Based on what I've seen he may need to improve his shot to make the rotation, but you never know. If Roach and Proctor both move on next year he may get his shot. Proctor is on some mock drafts and if Roach has a big year he will probably be a second round pick. If Proctor is a better defender and shooter than Blakes, that will make it tough for Blakes to see much action. Unfortunately, there are usually injuries/illnesses; and if God forbid there are, Blakes looks ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Blakes did kind of get recruited over by Proctor, but it's Duke. And we lost a lot so we had to reload. I think he could carve out a role, but big minutes seem unlikely unless it's as a senior. He does look better. It's tough to see him playing a big role if he doesn't play much this year. Based on what I've seen he may need to improve his shot to make the rotation, but you never know. If Roach and Proctor both move on next year he may get his shot. Proctor is on some mock drafts and if Roach has a big year he will probably be a second round pick. If Proctor is a better defender and shooter than Blakes, that will make it tough for Blakes to see much action. Unfortunately, there are usually injuries/illnesses; and if God forbid there are, Blakes looks ready.
Blake’s doesn’t get no minutes this year he won’t next year either. I’d say he either gets minutes this year or to the portal he will go . Kids aren’t waiting three years to get spot up minutes and in 24 Duke could possibly have Cunningham.

I'm cautious of the 'starting' label. If this kid is improving and confidence growing, be careful of what we think he will do!
I agree and this would be a great problem to have! I just know Foster is having an unreal summer and I think he ends up top 10 in his class.

Blake’s doesn’t get no minutes this year he won’t next year either. I’d say he either gets minutes this year or to the portal he will go . Kids aren’t waiting three years to get spot up minutes and in 24 Duke could possibly have Cunningham.

As much as I'm in agreement with Shey, practice scares me! If Blakes is giving Roach and Proctor problems the coaching staff have to make a team and politic decision. I know this is not a comfortable conversation, but this happens in College and Professional sports. I watched Henry Coleman play last year, and I was a bit surprised. The surprise wasn't his play, but what decisions happened behind closed doors. Don't get it twisted, I appreciate the recruitment of new players, but just wondered if Henry could've fit and received playing time.

Reactions: sheyduke
Roach seems pretty far ahead of Blakes and I imagine Proctor will be from what I've heard. If Coleman had stayed he may have started this year. But then we probably don't get Mitchell. As I've stated before I would have no problem with a Roach, Steward, Brakefield, Coleman Lively line up. But it wasn't meant to be.
Just saw the Whitehead quote on Young. "I'm sure even the coaches didn't think he would be this good." People are buzzing about Young. Jon probably won't start him, but he could get 15-20 minutes. Great having experience at the 1 and 5; we're going to need it.

Last edited:
Roach seems pretty far ahead of Blakes and I imagine Proctor will be from what I've heard. If Coleman had stayed he may have started this year. But then we probably don't get Mitchell. As I've stated before I would have no problem with a Roach, Steward, Brakefield, Coleman Lively line up. But it wasn't meant to be.
Just saw the Whitehead quote on Young. "I'm sure even the coaches didn't think he would be this good." People are buzzing about Young. Jon probably won't start him, but he could get 15-20 minutes. Great having experience at the 1 and 5; we're going to need it.
Makes you think did young choose Duke because he knew he would be going against NBA front court talent every practice and would only help with his game . I want Blake’s to have Roach, Proctor, Grandison and Schutt scared he’s going to take minutes at the one and two spot . Either bring it every game or it’s next man up.

Right now Lively looks like he's way too skinny the play the 5 consistently and the one or two times he played the PNR he got caught. I could see Young playing some heavy minutes at the 5 until Flip and Lively figure out the defense.

Not to mention additional fouls we will have available. OFC

Reactions: christophero
Look at how many minutes Theo got. And he was backing up an experienced sophmore. And dealing with injuries.

Reactions: jamsession3
Look at how many minutes Theo got. And he was backing up an experienced sophmore. And dealing with injuries.
Yeah but Theo was a pit bull being let of the chain when he got in and wasn’t scared to body up. If Young brings that with Dukes young front court he gets a lot of minutes. Mitchell is going to take someone’s minutes period .

Reactions: jamsession3
I see Mitchell and Flip around 20/20 at the 4. Lively/Young around 23/17.

Yeah but Theo was a pit bull being let of the chain when he got in and wasn’t scared to body up. If Young brings that with Dukes young front court he gets a lot of minutes. Mitchell is going to take someone’s minutes period .
Theo is a grown man. Young is close to it!

I think young brings experience and a big body . Everyone needs to remember he would have started this year at North western but either the thought of Nance returning or needing a change in scenery led him to Duke . Frontcourt battles should be high fought in practice

Last edited:
I think Young had a better chance at starting at Northwestern. But good point. :) Young mentioned wanting to compete for a title.

I think Young had a better chance at starting at Northwestern. But good point. :) Young mentioned wanting to compete for a title.
Lol , sorry North western I was thinking of last year when we got Johns from Marquette and UNC got Garcia .

Blakes displayed a nifty behind the back move and jump shot as well as a 3 point shot. He looks much improved. He also had a nifty pass into the post for a layup. I assume it is not ACC level as I have not seen him that effective before. But he still showed off some skills. He kind of has that awkward DeMarcus Nelson style but it works. Looks ready to contribute if needed. Better get him some minutes or some other team will. I think Jon will get him some minutes. 3-5 a game may be enough to keep him at Duke.

Last edited:
Blakes displayed a nifty behind the back move and jump shot as well as a 3 point shot. He looks much improved. He also had a nifty pass into the post for a layup. I assume it is not ACC level as I have not seen him that effective before. But he still showed off some skills. He kind of has that awkward DeMarcus Nelson style but it works. Looks ready to contribute if needed. Better get him some minutes or some other team will. I think Jon will get him some minutes. 3-5 a game may be enough to keep him at Duke.
Yep, that behind the back was nifty

Playing against Roach, Keels and Moore must have helped him. I think he could be our starting guard his senior year, maybe on the level of Goldwire or perhaps better. If he sticks around.

Last edited:
Playing against Roach, Keels and Moore must have helped him. I think he could be our starting guard his senior year, maybe on the level of Goldwire or perhaps better. If he sticks around.
Unless Duke wiffs on Cunningham and the other recruits I don’t see him starting but being a strong bench player

He should. Has the Aussie kid even been cleared to play? I remember the Kentucky kid Kanter having trouble being cleared to play a while back. He ended up ineligible. Others have had issues as well.

He should. Has the Aussie kid even been cleared to play? I remember the Kentucky kid Kanter having trouble being cleared to play a while back. He ended up ineligible. Others have had issues as well.
He will get cleared but I’m curious on how he will adjust to the physical ncaa play…..

Any chance Blakes is ahead of Proctor? I assume not, but Blakes has impressed so far. At the very least Proctor will have to earn his spot.

Any chance Blakes is ahead of Proctor? I assume not, but Blakes has impressed so far. At the very least Proctor will have to earn his spot.
Proctor is a combo so he will have plenty of minutes I’m sure but I don’t think he will have a hard time adjusting to play but rather adjusting to the defensive style of play . A lot of fouls called in college and the league aren’t called in FIBA ball. Hand checking is almost encouraged.
what is encouraging is the 6 rebounds and six assist by Blake’s . If he can defend and use his length he will get minutes. Don’t he have close to a 6’7” wing span?

Lot of Blake’s optimism going around and it’s easy to see why. He also seems and sounds like quite a leader out there. He’s a guy who seems to understand his role very well while also improving at a really nice clip. That’s a good combination. I like that Demarcus comparison as well, good call Chris.

I know there's been some conjecture reference the battle between Proctor and Blakes for MPs. I would only hope it's all decided ON THE FLOOR, and Scheyer doesn't cave to Proctor's advance billing. I think too often K may have played a higher rated player on paper over a more deserving player. OFC

I know there's been some conjecture reference the battle between Proctor and Blakes for MPs. I would only hope it's all decided ON THE FLOOR, and Scheyer doesn't cave to Proctor's advance billing. I think too often K may have played a higher rated player on paper over a more deserving player. OFC
That was kind of my point. Blakes looks improved, has a year in the system, and is still a top 100 guy. We all know Proctor has better upside and an NBA future, but all I care about is who will be better this year. I think it will be close, unless Proctor is a stud right away. If Proctor is way better than Blakes that will only help us. I get that you take a chance on the higher upside guy, but that hasn't always worked out for us.

Reactions: hart2chesson
That was kind of my point. Blakes looks improved, has a year in the system, and is still a top 100 guy. We all know Proctor has better upside and an NBA future, but all I care about is who will be better this year. I think it will be close, unless Proctor is a stud right away. If Proctor is way better than Blakes that will only help us. I get that you take a chance on the higher upside guy, but that hasn't always worked out for us.
Well stated Chris!!!! OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT