ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas is back on the wagon

Because I felt like it.
What's that antiestablishment NY-style musical genre from the '70s and '80s?

Oh, yeah... PUNK.

The moment you get challenged on any idea you stop stating them so adamantly and put on this insincere, coy, evasive face.

I am solidly in the camp that likes Jay- for many reasons. I never question his integrity, his loyalty and love for Duke Baxketball, and his knowledge of the game. His K imitations are fantastic! He bugs me when he gets too smug, stays too long on his anti NCAA soapbox, and tries too hard to sound like the smartest guy in the room. Most of the time, he is easily the smartest guy in the room and everybody knows it, so why bother. I would forgive 95% of his anti NCAA shtick if he would just once call B'S on the likes of Roy and Pitino when they try the totally ridiculous "I didn't know/how could I have known" claim.
You should be banned for spelling "basketball" wrong! ;)

The thing that gets me is when people don't like what he says, but are too inarticulate themselves to criticize it in any legitimate way so they go after his integrity. It's the whole "fake news" knee-j3rk anti-intellectual snowflake shtick.

You're doing your criticism right. :)

A couple things on that last stretch in bold... 1, smugness might be part of his shtick -- ESPN has certainly played that up and picked on him for his demeanor in the past; 2, if everyone knows he is the smartest guy in the room, is he really trying to sound like that, or is that just what being the smartest guy in the room does sound like?

Reactions: christophero
Bilas is amusing. I like his calm demeanor and the way he teases his cohorts, usually in a clever way. I do NOT miss Billy Packer, who would just repeat his points ad nauseum. I muted many a game due to Packer. To Packer there was only one way of doing things, and if that thing wasn't being done, he would rant about it the entire game.

And mac is right on schedule to like this w/o the slightest trace of irony...
You just can only stay quiet for so long. Irony Datt? I stayed out of Hart and Dj's back and forth, but not you. You just had to grab the spoon and stir the pot. I think you run out of your meds. It's like clockwork for you to come flying in with some over the top garbage for what purpose?
Honestly Datt, it's posters like you that make DI as bad as THR or RR.

Reactions: hart2chesson
You just can only stay quiet for so long. Irony Datt? I stayed out of Hart and Dj's back and forth, but not you. You just had to grab the spoon and stir the pot. I think you run out of your meds. It's like clockwork for you to come flying in with some over the top garbage for what purpose?
Honestly Datt, it's posters like you that make DI as bad as THR or RR.
Well, hart thinks you're awesome, at least. Once socal gets up I'm sure he'll give you a thumb up, too, but he's on Pacific time, donchano.

Slow clap to you for staying out of a back-and-forth you're assigning ownership to on a public board. Why not stay out of "my" back-and-forth w/ hart, too? And why don't both of you act like adults when someone dares disagree w/ you? He cuts-and-runs like a coward. You're worse; you make-up personal attacks using references to alleged mental health like a punchline, as if that's something that would warrant bullying and attacking. Our President would be so proud of you.

Reactions: Mac9192
Well, hart thinks you're awesome, at least. Once socal gets up I'm sure he'll give you a thumb up, too, but he's on Pacific time, donchano.

Slow clap to you for staying out of a back-and-forth you're assigning ownership to on a public board. Why not stay out of "my" back-and-forth w/ hart, too? And why don't both of you act like adults when someone dares disagree w/ you? He cuts-and-runs like a coward. You're worse; you make-up personal attacks using references to alleged mental health like a punchline, as if that's something that would warrant bullying and attacking. Our President would be so proud of you.
If you say so. Pay attention Datt, Duke won last night, so save your shananigans for another day.
These late games must be bad on your mental state.

Make Duke Great Again!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Get a life datt. Pull for Duke and stick to basketball issues. Hey big man behind the keyboard so far today I am a "punk" and a "coward" huh? Your game has gotten way old w/lots of folks here. The personal attacks need to cease.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
If you say so. Pay attention Datt, Duke won last night, so save your shananigans for another day.
These late games must be bad on your mental state.
Get a life datt. Pull for Duke and stick to basketball issues. Hey big man behind the keyboard so far today I am a "punk" and a "coward" huh? Your game has gotten way old w/lots of folks here. The personal attacks need to cease.
1. Doubling down on allusions to mental health as a joke. Classless.
2. No shenanigans, no games. There y'all go again: If you don't agree w/ someone, attack their integrity instead of the point. I think y'all are wrong about a ton off things and when I think that, I'll explain why. Y'all can't handle that, so you come at me.
3. Your behavior has been that of a punk and a coward, hart, yes. Absolutely. Behavior you can change. It's only an attack if that's truly representative of your nature and you can't or won't change, and in that case, you'd deserve the attack anyway. And here's one more, hart: The behavior of whining about my so-called "personal attacks" on you while going thumb up mac when he makes slanderous claims about mental health is hypocritical. Pull up your big boy underoos and change your behavior or start yelping because you are a hypocrite; I don't care either way.

1. Doubling down on allusions to mental health as a joke. Classless.
2. No shenanigans, no games. There y'all go again: If you don't agree w/ someone, attack their integrity instead of the point. I think y'all are wrong about a ton off things and when I think that, I'll explain why. Y'all can't handle that, so you come at me.
3. Your behavior has been that of a punk and a coward, hart, yes. Absolutely. Behavior you can change. It's only an attack if that's truly representative of your nature and you can't or won't change, and in that case, you'd deserve the attack anyway. And here's one more, hart: The behavior of whining about my so-called "personal attacks" on you while going thumb up mac when he makes slanderous claims about mental health is hypocritical. Pull up your big boy underoos and change your behavior or start yelping because you are a hypocrite; I don't care either way.

The hopeless minion.....No I dont agree w/your characterizations at all. I am just someone who's gotten under your skin a long time for my views. I dont always go along with board leadership. (Moreso, your leader specifically). Therefore you ride in on your high horse to circle the wagons. You're the "punk," you're the minion...OFC

The hopeless minion.....No I dont agree w/your characterizations at all. I am just someone who's gotten under your skin a long time for my views. I dont always go along with board leadership. (Moreso, your leader specifically). Therefore you ride in on your high horse to circle the wagons. You're the "punk," you're the minion...OFC
Temper, temper. Your fiction is more believable when you keep your head.

When someone disagrees w/ you, says so, and you neither elevate your position in responding nor take it in thoughtfully and quietly, but instead pull this smarmy, insincere bickering, the shoe fits. Throwing around labels based on scanty evidence? You aren't making anything stick to me.

While the smartest guy in the room trying too hard to prove he is the smartest guy in the room isnt nearly as bad as the dumbest f... in the room trying to sound like the smartest, it still is obnoxoius. Kind of like the biggest baddest guy in the room trying to prove that he is a tough guy (bad) or a Brice Johnson stare down after an uncontested dunk (f...ing rediculous). Don't get me wrong, Jay isn't a huge offender, I just think it takes away from his performance. I totally agree that ESPN most likely encourages it, as it does any and all forms of obnoxiousness/controversy. Maybe it just gets to because I expect more from him and, in my oppinion, he used to be better with a less is more kind of approach.

While the smartest guy in the room trying too hard to prove he is the smartest guy in the room isnt nearly as bad as the dumbest f... in the room trying to sound like the smartest, it still is obnoxoius. Kind of like the biggest baddest guy in the room trying to prove that he is a tough guy (bad) or a Brice Johnson stare down after an uncontested dunk (f...ing rediculous). Don't get me wrong, Jay isn't a huge offender, I just think it takes away from his performance. I totally agree that ESPN most likely encourages it, as it does any and all forms of obnoxiousness/controversy. Maybe it just gets to because I expect more from him and, in my oppinion, he used to be better with a less is more kind of approach.
I don't know that he's really trying but I get your point.
He's not a huge offender, but there are some people here who act as if he is nothing but offense, so I'm not inclined to focus on the negative and encourage them.

I agree. I really like Jay. What bugs/disappoints me is that he could/should be even better. Maybe not fair. Kind of like with Grayson. We expect him to make a very high % of his 3s and 90 + % of his FT and all of them at the end of the game.

Reactions: Dattier
On a minimally related note, one of my all time favorite commentator moments was with Jay and Majerus at the Maui Invitational. Everyone was in funky Hawaiin shirts, untucked and Jay was in a perfectly pressed, perfectly tucked in polo shirt. While making fun of how "uptight" Bilas was, Majerus accused Jay of being so tight, he gets out of the shower to take a leak. The other announcers loved it.

Dattier-missed your second to last post. Totally agree. Intelligence should never be hidden. That wasn't my point at all. If anything, we need more intelligent, informed conversation in every aspect of our lives.

Reactions: Dattier
Dattier-missed your second to last post. Totally agree. Intelligence should never be hidden. That wasn't my point at all. If anything, we need more intelligent, informed conversation in every aspect of our lives.

I remember that. Very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT