ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas is back on the wagon

Good stuff here. Wonder if Bilas gets burnt out this late in season. Producing predictions all the time must get boring.

Reactions: christophero
Well to be fair I was a bit surprised how dominant we looked last weekend. Happy, but surprised.

I would like to see Jay stick to what he is best at-sharing his knowledge/insight of the game and college hoops. Kind of like Bobby Knight. Knight is great at doing games from a pure basketball perspective. If Jay did that, with a little bit of wit and personality mixed in, he would be one of the best ever. To me, Jay has become too much of a personality as well being to sanctimonious. He's too smart, witty, and knowledgeable to wind up coming off as borish, like he often does lately.

Reactions: sgrooms
I'm not bothered by Bilas bending over backwards to avoid looking like a Duke homer (that's what distinguishes Duke grads from the pompom carrying Carolina grads like Hubert and Kenny Smith). I am bothered by his sanctimonious refusal to condemn the blatant hypocrisy and fraud at Carolina in the name of NCAA bashing. He lost credibility with me on that issue.

Reactions: Dad2ze and QC Dukie
I am bothered by his sanctimonious refusal to condemn the blatant hypocrisy and fraud at Carolina in the name of NCAA bashing. He lost credibility with me on that issue.

He didn't really do that, though. He acknowledged many times there were shenanigans taking place and that UNC was guilty of not following through as an academic institution. What he didn't do was call for the athletic department's head. That's why you're mad....despite it being clear long before the ruling that nothing was going to happen to them because of how NCAA bylaws were stated. Jay wasn't looking at the situation as a Duke fan or someone who hates UNC. He was looking through a much clearer lens than most college basketball fans.

UNC cheated. Everybody knows that. But the NCAA had their hands tied. Most practical observers knew the outcome because of the by-laws long before they were released.

Reactions: Mpm277 and skysdad
I'm not bothered by Bilas bending over backwards to avoid looking like a Duke homer (that's what distinguishes Duke grads from the pompom carrying Carolina grads like Hubert and Kenny Smith). I am bothered by his sanctimonious refusal to condemn the blatant hypocrisy and fraud at Carolina in the name of NCAA bashing. He lost credibility with me on that issue.

Liftee I know where you are coming from. He had plenty of opportunities to condemn the athletic department, Roy Williams (we all know Roy knew because of his slick and THICK relationship w/academic liaison Wayne Walden who he brought w/him from Kansas)and chose not to.

I think rather than so much emphasis placed on the NCAA not having a case (I think it did based on SACS findings, Wainstein report, etc)more attention should have been placed on organized academic corruption for the sake of keeping basketball players eligible. Thats why AFAM was created in the first place.This would have compromised however ESPN's relationship with a basketball blue blood, and Jay's relationship with the athletic dept and Roy Williams.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
This would have compromised however ESPN's relationship with a basketball blue blood, and Jay's relationship with the athletic dept and Roy Williams.

OFC

Everything you posted prior to this was at least somewhat plausible. This is just beyond ridiculous.

He didn't really do that, though. He acknowledged many times there were shenanigans taking place and that UNC was guilty of not following through as an academic institution. What he didn't do was call for the athletic department's head. That's why you're mad....despite it being clear long before the ruling that nothing was going to happen to them because of how NCAA bylaws were stated. Jay wasn't looking at the situation as a Duke fan or someone who hates UNC. He was looking through a much clearer lens than most college basketball fans.

UNC cheated. Everybody knows that. But the NCAA had their hands tied. Most practical observers knew the outcome because of the by-laws long before they were released.

I've been sitting here trying to say and post what you just did. He saw things as they really were and unc did their home work and pulled a fast one not only over the NCAA but the entire collegiate sports world. They knew what they were doing for all those years and they knew if it went to court unc would win.It was dirty no doubt but Jay Bilas knows he stuff. Very proud he played at Duke and he has enough stones to call it like it is. During games he says the things we Duke fans are thinking about whats going on. When unc is in the transition offense and Duke is getting beat by it he says it. I know I won't any ones mind about him but I can't believe we want a homer. I've heard Mike Gminski, Jay Williams and Jim Spanarkel say it the way it is also. The problem is about Jay is he's high profile and some of us just listen for things we can be critical. Next time you listen to Jay Bilas listen to every thing he says instead of what you want to hear. OFC

I've been sitting here trying to say and post what you just did. He saw things as they really were and unc did their home work and pulled a fast one not only over the NCAA but the entire collegiate sports world. They knew what they were doing for all those years and they knew if it went to court unc would win.It was dirty no doubt but Jay Bilas knows he stuff. Very proud he played at Duke and he has enough stones to call it like it is. During games he says the things we Duke fans are thinking about whats going on. When unc is in the transition offense and Duke is getting beat by it he says it. I know I won't any ones mind about him but I can't believe we want a homer. I've heard Mike Gminski, Jay Williams and Jim Spanarkel say it the way it is also. The problem is about Jay is he's high profile and some of us just listen for things we can be critical. Next time you listen to Jay Bilas listen to every thing he says instead of what you want to hear. OFC

No comment....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I am solidly in the camp that likes Jay- for many reasons. I never question his integrity, his loyalty and love for Duke Baxketball, and his knowledge of the game. His K imitations are fantastic! He bugs me when he gets too smug, stays too long on his anti NCAA soapbox, and tries too hard to sound like the smartest guy in the room. Most of the time, he is easily the smartest guy in the room and everybody knows it, so why bother. I would forgive 95% of his anti NCAA shtick if he would just once call B'S on the likes of Roy and Pitino when they try the totally ridiculous "I didn't know/how could I have known" claim.

Bilas is really, really good at what he does. He’s certainly a little pompous for some people’s tastes (even mine at times), but he’s as consistent as they come. I wouldn’t mind if he sometimes spent less time carting out his agenda against the NCAA, but that’s kind of his thing now.

In every walk of life, if you only agree or disagree with one side constantly, then you’re doing something wrong, IMO.

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
Bilas outgrew his role as just a former player and in the past 5 years he's even a cornerstone of ESPN sports talk altogether - he is knowledgeable on more than just CBB or even basketball. But to reach this point he had to shed his background as Duke alum. Jay Williams has followed in his footsteps.

Jay is a good guy, and I like him a lot when he's doing any games that don't involve Duke.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I would like to see Jay stick to what he is best at-sharing his knowledge/insight of the game and college hoops... He's too smart, witty, and knowledgeable to wind up coming off as borish, like he often does lately.
I edited and bolded to point something out: a smart, witty, knowledgeable guy with a law degree shouldn't be limited to discussing basketball when his knowledge extends far beyond that.

We shouldn't hold it against Jay that he is aware of his own knowledge and is confident in sharing it. Sharing knowledge should be welcome. It's more often our own hang-ups that lead to interpreting it as high-falutin'. That interpretation is also suspiciously aligned with knowledge or/and opinions we don't care for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT