ADVERTISEMENT

jaemyn brakefield

Still remember the FTs against Notre Dame in the FF. He had ice water flowing thru his veins.

Loved Bender. A very good point guard. A pure point guard. Didn't he make the lob pass to Banks for a remarkable slam dunk. OFC

Loved Bender. A very good point guard. A pure point guard. Didn't he make the lob pass to Banks for a remarkable slam dunk. OFC
Was at that game in Cameron.On a fast break he stopped the ft line looked and lobbed at rim on the right.Remember thinking what is he doing.Banks came out of nowhere with a one handed tomahawk dunk.Was the first time I ever saw this.Cameron went dead silent for two to three second and then went crazy.May have been the loudest that I have ever heard

Reactions: skysdad

I seriously Lol’d out at this!!
Funny, but the voice sounded like Sarah Jessica Parker. Please tell me I didn’t upvote a Sex and the City clip. I loathe that show. Every girlfriend I had in the late 90s early 00s was obsessed with that show. I’ve watched more episodes than I care to admit in an effort to get nookie. One thing I love about my wife is that she didn’t watch that show.
Fear you are truly my hero just being able to sit through one of those shows.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Steve Gray dribbled the ball off his foot out of bounds against NC State in 1977. The pass off the rim came in 1977 against Maryland, both in the final seconds of agonizing losses.

Gray began that season as a reserve but became a starter when Tate Armstrong broke his right wrist at UVA.

Reactions: skysdad
Both. That jumper is not college ready and he's got a false sense of confidence. Basically, he looks immature to me.

I'm still going to support him and not trash talk if he has a few bad outings. I see a 4 star from where I am sitting. Maybe there's something I can't see from the Youtube.

But does he have Josh McRoberts’s mom vibes?

Sorry to be negative on this one. I just don't see much in terms of immediate impact paired with a very confident young man that sees himself as some kind of go-to guy. Maybe he'll make a nice adjustment to team ball and I'm misreading it. That's what I want.

I also skipped my nightly beer. Let me fix that problem right now.

I’m more along this line of thinking here. Am I happy having Jaemyn? Of course. You can’t have enough talented guys playing for you.

The only issue I have is that he doesn’t appear to fill an immediate need. I could be totally wrong and he becomes an all-time Duke great that leads the team to 3 or 4 titles. But the 2020-2021 group needs a natural scorer. Jalen can score, but he’s a player that is an opportunistic scorer. He can get his own shot, but he’s more comfortable distributing, then attacking when an option presents itself. He’s actually very good at that.

But outside of AOC, Steward and Joey, there’s no real shooting talent and unless Hurt or Vernon stays (you could put Cassius there too) there’s no true player who is wired to score.

Enter Kuminga. Some think getting Brakefield ends things with Kuminga reclassing. IMO, this makes him all the more important. Quite honestly, this has more to do with not getting Dickinson. The post went from barren, to pretty crowded in a 5 out offense with Baker, Coleman, Brakefield and possibly Williams and/or Dickinson on board. Let’s get out of this class with Kuminga and Mark Williams and I’ll definitely feel better.

Clearly there’s a plan, and clearly the “super 5 star team” experiment may be going by the wayside. This current team will go a long way in showing what K can still do with a versatile, well-rounded, well-put together team. It appears that’s his plan for the next few iterations of the Duke roster.

I’m more along this line of thinking here. Am I happy having Jaemyn? Of course. You can’t have enough talented guys playing for you.

The only issue I have is that he doesn’t appear to fill an immediate need. I could be totally wrong and he becomes an all-time Duke great that leads the team to 3 or 4 titles. But the 2020-2021 group needs a natural scorer. Jalen can score, but he’s a player that is an opportunistic scorer. He can get his own shot, but he’s more comfortable distributing, then attacking when an option presents itself. He’s actually very good at that.

But outside of AOC, Steward and Joey, there’s no real shooting talent and unless Hurt or Vernon stays (you could put Cassius there too) there’s no true player who is wired to score.

Enter Kuminga. Some think getting Brakefield ends things with Kuminga reclassing. IMO, this makes him all the more important. Quite honestly, this has more to do with not getting Dickinson. The post went from barren, to pretty crowded in a 5 out offense with Baker, Coleman, Brakefield and possibly Williams and/or Dickinson on board. Let’s get out of this class with Kuminga and Mark Williams and I’ll definitely feel better.

Clearly there’s a plan, and clearly the “super 5 star team” experiment may be going by the wayside. This current team will go a long way in showing what K can still do with a versatile, well-rounded, well-put together team. It appears that’s his plan for the next few iterations of the Duke roster.

I think landing Jaemyn has to do with adding depth and Ziaire Williams no longer being an option it seems. Also, Duke needs to land two centers, being Mark Williams and Hunter Dickinson. Seems like Mark Williams is going to commit to Duke by the end of October and I'm not sure the time frame with Hunter Dickinson, but a fall commitment seems very promising (I'm guessing Michigan or Duke). Duke needs to wrap up 2 true center for this class (not 1), if not, they're going to be very thin upfront. One injury or foul trouble would hurt this team tremendously. I've seen situations like this before when Duke didn't have enough frontcourt depth and it killed them over the season and especially in the tournament.

Reactions: dukehokie
I think landing Jaemyn has to do with adding depth and Ziaire Williams no longer being an option it seems. Also, Duke needs to land two centers, being Mark Williams and Hunter Dickinson. Seems like Mark Williams is going to commit to Duke by the end of October and I'm not sure the time frame with Hunter Dickinson, but a fall commitment seems very promising (I'm guessing Michigan or Duke). Duke needs to wrap up 2 true center for this class (not 1), if not, they're going to be very thin upfront. One injury or foul trouble would hurt this team tremendously. I've seen situations like this before when Duke didn't have enough frontcourt depth and it killed them over the season and especially in the tournament.
Hunter Dickinson doesnt have a date set but said he hopes to commit before his senior season starts.

Next season will be a lot of fun if Duke can land a center-preferably Williams then land Kuminga

Roach/Goldwire
AOC/DJ
Johnson/Baker
Kuminga/Coleman/Brakefield
Williams/Dickerson?

Ridiculous amount of talent...

Next season will be a lot of fun if Duke can land a center-preferably Williams then land Kuminga

Roach/Goldwire
AOC/DJ
Johnson/Baker
Kuminga/Coleman/Brakefield
Williams/Dickerson?

Ridiculous amount of talent...

I agree. Duke needs to seal the with Williams and Dickinson. Kuminga would make this team scary good.

Front court depth is absolutely important. I’m just going off of K’s word of playing the 5-out the rest of his days at Duke (whether that actually happens, we’ll see). If this team is playing 5-out that often, theoretically, we really only need 4 post players, but we definitely need ball handlers and floor spacers. The possible 20-21 roster has the ball handlers, but not many proven shooters and natural scorers.

Things obviously can change. Players can get better. I would seriously doubt K and the staff would just recruit a bunch of guys that don’t fit the proposed model for the hell of it. But from the outside-in, I’m definitely watching what’s happening and thinking K is getting guys that fit his “old style” more than the new one.

I don’t hate it. It just doesn’t fit the narrative.

Reactions: bfort2223

However, I don’t know that I agree that this is a recruitment in regards to Ziaire. I think that’s the Kuminga push. And those two recruitments were based on losing Brandon Boston/Cade Cunningham.

Brakefield is absolutely athletic, front court depth like you mentioned above.

I reallyyyyyyyyyyyy want Kuminga to be a Blue Devil next season.

Jalen Johnson is gonna be an absolute stud, but he's a pass first guy, he's not gonna be a 20 ppg scorer. We need Kuminga.

I reallyyyyyyyyyyyy want Kuminga to be a Blue Devil next season.

Jalen Johnson is gonna be an absolute stud, but he's a pass first guy, he's not gonna be a 20 ppg scorer. We need Kuminga.
Yeah unless Hurt comes back or Cassius/Moore come back and really improve we won’t have a go to scorer. Like the guy you can always count on to go get a bucket. We’ll be well rounded but i still think we need a scoring stud.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT