ADVERTISEMENT

Is Coach K ruining college basketball?was

As far as Duke players and NBA success, I think part of it is going to Duke, buy part of it is also Duke starting to get a different type
of player.

My wife and I were talking about one and dones the other day. We do not like it. She commented how fondly she remembers players from teams past - even 25+ years ago, but has already forgotten the names of several players that were one or two year players.

But is K ruining the game. No. And neither was Cal. The cheating comments I remember on the Duke board had more to do with his past than with Kentucky. Though certainly there were comments made about how many Final Fours Cal would have to have recalled at Kentucky. Mostly that was gamesmanship built around the baggage Cal had.

I wasn't a fan of the one and done, I'm still not, and I look forward to Adam Silver putting an end to it.

Calipari changed the game with his dominance with recruiting the one and dones. Coach K has adjusted, and now the dominance has shifted. Coach K on and off the court if flexible and adjusts to the situation (some would argue not as much on the defensive end as needed).

I fully expect (if K is still coaching) that K will adjust and be successful once Silver does indeed remove the 1 and done rule.

Now Calipari needs to adjust or leave. He no longer holds the one and done magic. He can either wait for K to retire and hope Capel can't keep it up, or take the New Orleans job.

This all boils down to that Cal can't coach. He's insecure and should have been out of college basketball before he even came to U.K. Shows what type of program UK has become. OFC

National brand as far as basketball fandom, yes. For sure. But as much of a national brand when it comes to the University, the Medical center, and the alumni and how far out that spreads? In other words, the "brotherhood". Nah.

Lol u think these kids that are essentially taking a semesters worth of clssss give 2 shits about dukes medical center and the other nonsense you just spewed. I’m a Michigan fan; our university is globally renown but the only way we were Landing the kids we did in the 90s was by way of cheating. Most of these kids would go to Creighton over duke if Creighton was paying and duke wasn’t. Just keep it real

Lol u think these kids that are essentially taking a semesters worth of clssss give 2 shits about dukes medical center and the other nonsense you just spewed. I’m a Michigan fan; our university is globally renown but the only way we were Landing the kids we did in the 90s was by way of cheating. Most of these kids would go to Creighton over duke if Creighton was paying and duke wasn’t. Just keep it real

You’re an idiot. Get lost.

Reactions: dbav
When Calipari was the king of recruiting, the media and opposing fans (especially Duke fans) proclaimed he was a cheater, he is ruining the game, he’s paying players etc. Now Coach K has solidified himself as the premier recruiter surpassing Cal. Question is, how is he doing it? You guys loved to crush us when we got them, now you are getting them and you love it. You should. You’ll probably win the next 2 titles. Is K just out working Cal. If Cal is cheating, is K cheating more? Very interesting questions to ponder.

Probably win the next 2 titles. That's hilarious. Just because they get the top class please remember they're getting 18 year olds every year. They're getting very little continuation and each year is basically starting from scratch. Yeah plenty of talent but that in no way gaurentees a Title.

There are several factors that are killing Cal on the recruiting trail especially against Duke:

1. Duke is a more National Brand. Kentucky a more regional brand.
2. Duke plays in the ACC which is historically a better basketball conference then the SEC
3. K has won 5 championships
4. Capel can recruit top tier talent
5. K recruited top NBA all stars to play for team USA
6. K went 75-1 as coach of USA basketball
7. K has developed relationships with NBA all stars like LeBron and Durant
8. K went all in on the one and done model.
9. Cal did a poor job coaching the under 19 basketball team. Coming home with a bronze medal instead of a gold medal.

Well said. Honestly cals whole pitch was “come here and go to the nba”. But these players were going to the nba anyways. It’s no surprise that K was able to counteract that pitch so effectively

lol, What about before the "one & done" era? Coach K has been winning with less talent since.. when? forever? gtfoh with all the saltiness. Coach K is a better coach.... PERIOD, and there aint no If's, And's, or But's about it. Players of that caliber are trying to soak all that knowledge up before they enter the league. Have they ever compared John Calipari to Nick Saban? No. Has ANYONE and I mean ANYONE ever asked Cal to coach Team USA? F'No. He cant even win in the U18 FIBA, gtfoh once again. Cal is weak and only has a ship because of AD, evidence of that is the 38-1 squad. Cal is a horrible in game coach just like old roy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT