ADVERTISEMENT

Is Coach K ruining college basketball?was

Dec 26, 2003
When Calipari was the king of recruiting, the media and opposing fans (especially Duke fans) proclaimed he was a cheater, he is ruining the game, he’s paying players etc. Now Coach K has solidified himself as the premier recruiter surpassing Cal. Question is, how is he doing it? You guys loved to crush us when we got them, now you are getting them and you love it. You should. You’ll probably win the next 2 titles. Is K just out working Cal. If Cal is cheating, is K cheating more? Very interesting questions to ponder.

When Calipari was the king of recruiting, the media and opposing fans (especially Duke fans) proclaimed he was a cheater, he is ruining the game, he’s paying players etc. Now Coach K has solidified himself as the premier recruiter surpassing Cal. Question is, how is he doing it? You guys loved to crush us when we got them, now you are getting them and you love it. You should. You’ll probably win the next 2 titles. Is K just out working Cal. If Cal is cheating, is K cheating more? Very interesting questions to ponder.

I'd say he's ruining it for kensucky fans!!

I admit that I still hate the one-and-done concept.

Even when we win, it's not as sweet as those Duke teams (91, 92) that made me love the Blue Devils....If there is anything positive about UNC, it is that they win the old fashion way, which I respect.

However, rent-a-players are just where the game has gone....And part of being a fan is supporting whomever is wearing the colors, even if it's on a limited engagement.

And yes, I am a bit of a hypocrite because when Cal was winning, I was more vocal about my distaste.

Last edited:

Mike Krzyzewski ruining the game? Lets see hes raised millions of dollars in his high profile position to fight cancer for the V Foundation, restored our international position in the U.S. to #1 in the world for the sport of basketball, develops players as well as anybody for their ultimate dream of playing the game they love for a living, I mean I could go on, but...

In answer to your question NO, I just think young men are highly intrigued by K as are their parents to play for the best coach this side of John Wooden.

OFC

This is why K is a genius. While he was more than happy and privileged to coach our country's team, he KNEW it would have a ripple effect on Duke and recruiting. Imagine being a 17 year old with Coach K in your living room telling you he wants to use you like he did (Insert name) in the '08, '12, '16 Olympics. Or talking about stories of his interactions with all those NBA guys he's been able to coach. He has the respect of every influential person in the sport of basketball. How could you say no to that?

You don't need to pay the kids when you have Coach K, the Crazies, The Brotherhood, and Duke University. It sells itself.

Good grief. Everytime K beats cal for a player (which is a lot) we get this junk. The games changed let it be and get off our board

Pisgah I also notice too a proliferation of folks masquerading as Duke fans and/or trolls under "recruit."

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Will the mods please remove these UK inbreds from our board. They are like parasites. Their school is trash as well as their coach. No comparison.

Reactions: pisgah101
There are several factors that are killing Cal on the recruiting trail especially against Duke:

1. Duke is a more National Brand. Kentucky a more regional brand.
2. Duke plays in the ACC which is historically a better basketball conference then the SEC
3. K has won 5 championships
4. Capel can recruit top tier talent
5. K recruited top NBA all stars to play for team USA
6. K went 75-1 as coach of USA basketball
7. K has developed relationships with NBA all stars like LeBron and Durant
8. K went all in on the one and done model.
9. Cal did a poor job coaching the under 19 basketball team. Coming home with a bronze medal instead of a gold medal.

It's not really that complicated.

Have you seen the movie "There Will Be Blood"? If not, go to youtube, and in the search function, type in the name of the movie, then type in the word "milkshake". Then watch the first clip that comes up in the search.

That will pretty much clarify what's happening.

Have you seen the movie "There Will Be Blood"? If not, go to youtube, and in the search function, type in the name of the movie, then type in the word "milkshake". Then watch the first clip that comes up in the search.

@OldasdirtDevil , I think you're the man for this job...

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

That's pretty good!!!

I am hoping you guys understood that when by old fashioned, I was referring only to a philosophy of recruiting 3-4 year players and building chemistry over a prolonged time....The way the game used to be...It was a basketball only comment.

Obviously academic freud is not a good thing and no one condones it.

As far as rent-a-player, just a colloquialism.

Remember that I am on your side! I am a Duke fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanDEVILman
referring only to a philosophy of recruiting 3-4 year players and building chemistry over a prolonged time....

Except, that's incorrect. The inability to land OADs is not the same as not recruiting them. Roy has recruited many of them, he just hasn't landed almost any of them, including Zion. There is a significant difference between the 2.

1. Duke is a more National Brand. Kentucky a more regional brand.

This is the only point I disagree with. I don't see how someone could objectively say that Kensucky isn't a National brand every bit as much as Duke. Subjectively, I'll agree because it better supports my fandom, haha.

This is the only point I disagree with. I don't see how someone could objectively say that Kensucky isn't a National brand every bit as much as Duke. Subjectively, I'll agree because it better supports my fandom, haha.

National brand as far as basketball fandom, yes. For sure. But as much of a national brand when it comes to the University, the Medical center, and the alumni and how far out that spreads? In other words, the "brotherhood". Nah.

K handles himself in a way no other coach does.
Three things: Capel, association with USA basketball, and the phrase "Duke Brotherhood."
A guy on premium site brought how smart that phrase is and it's so true.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This is why K is a genius. While he was more than happy and privileged to coach our country's team, he KNEW it would have a ripple effect on Duke and recruiting. Imagine being a 17 year old with Coach K in your living room telling you he wants to use you like he did (Insert name) in the '08, '12, '16 Olympics. Or talking about stories of his interactions with all those NBA guys he's been able to coach. He has the respect of every influential person in the sport of basketball. How could you say no to that?

You don't need to pay the kids when you have Coach K, the Crazies, The Brotherhood, and Duke University. It sells itself.
Thats an excellent post hallside.
Lets compare other coaches who might visit a kid for a family visit in the living room. 1st there's Cal who the recruits parents know is a great recruiter but maybe a little slimy but will get them to the pros if they are good enough but also they know that Cals light in starting to get dimmer instead of brighter and also only won 1 title with all the great recruits. Then theres Ol Roy who the recruits parents know has been cheating at UNC and probably at Kansas for what? 20 years by saying he didn't know cheating was going on and turning his back playing the Aw Shucks routine for his whole career and also has not been great at putting players in the NBA but might win a tournament with you if you stay around 3 or 4 years. Then theres Shawn Miller who is a good coach thats never won the big prize and greatly known for early flame outs. Then there's Bill Self who everyone knows will lose in the NCAA's early even with top talent. Then theres Jay Wright, who is a good coach with only one championship and also known for early flameouts in the NCAA's.

Now lo and behold here comes Coach K who is on fire as a recruiter and has a resume as long as a flag pole and has won everything in his career. He's also getting up there in age with likely just a few years left to coach, who's going to get you to the NBA if you're good enough, who has 5 NCAA Championships and will likely get another 1 or 2 very soon but you need to hop a board before he retires. Don't you want to say son, that you were coached by the legend of college basketball, the all time winningest coach ever. Its a no brainer if looked at properly isn't it.

Last edited:
26804376_2027920450569719_2010191266513569385_n.png

For years Duke players didn't do well in the NBA. Now they're killing it: Kyrie, Tatum, Ingram, even Tyus and Rivers. I think the kids notice and know they're have instant credibility when they come out of Duke. That and Capel, Nolan and Scheyer are so sincere and personable and they all were great Duke players in their own right! The combination is unbeatable.

Reactions: Dattier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT