ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

I’m confused. Some of you say he should come back while saying he’s nowhere good enough to go to the nba. Why so pressed about someone that you feel is not even good enough to test the waters? There’s no way on earth he plays the 5 with any regularity. Defense and rebounding will be so bad for that team that a different member will be getting buried every game on here. I’m sure Coach K has a backup plan for the 5. Henry Coleman has grown and he has a man body already so he can play spot minutes at the 5. You don’t have to be 6’11 to play the 5 anymore. I believe they said Coleman is up to 6’8 230 or so now. That’s a 5 in college. We will be fine with it without hurt.

First, Not to bash our guys, but I cannot see any being a first rounder with the possible exception of Tre.Just trying to be honest and not wear blue lenses.

1) Tre is good and will be a solid NBA Backup, but defensively he had some lapses this season (more than last, I feel) and the shooting was still on and off. Height is an issue. Is he better than his brother, who is a NBA backup??? IDK, but he was a 2nd rounder.. Does he really wanna chance the D-League Route?

2) Vern is a Great Player, 18-20 years ago he is a surefire lottery pick, but the NBA is changed too much as a league for bigs. His best be would be to come back if K would let him be exclusively a stretch 4, which is possible with Williams in tow. He can shoot, but release is slow and not enough sample size.

3) Hurt needs a bunch of work. IF (big if) he gets into the League he will be The. Worst. Defensive. Forward. In. The. League. His shooting is avg at best, ball handling is poor, for an NBA forward, and he is slow of foot and needs a SIGNIFICANT strength improvement to ever have a shot at any career in the league.That said, many athletes go through a significant physical enhancement in their Jr /Sr years, I think of Zoubs, Lance, Brian Davis, Sanders... Coming back may benefit him most.

4) Wendell - Swiss army knife for sure...but the blade that shoots the basketball from outside 12 ft must be dull and stuck. Defense could make him a 8-10 year player, but another year of balhansling and making some consistent (40%+ outside shots would push him into a top 20.

All could potentially benefit from returning, but if they can get a 1st round guarantee, I have no problem with them going..I couldn't pass up the coin for sure.

Just my thoughts..I'm bored and I miss the tournament...

THis years class is weak and the draft is going to be weak as well. I'd love to see all of those guys mentioned return. I'm hoping since the tournament was cancelled and some of these guys didn't have the chance to play in it, they'll decide to come back and try and win a national title. If Tre and Vernon return, Duke should win the title. However, that's wishful thinking on my part. Maybe for once, we will have some luck on our side and get these guys to return. I would love to see a lineup of Tre Jones, DJ Steward, Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson, and Vernon Carey. Duke would smash teams and only lose 1 or 2 games for the season. However, let's be realistic, knowing our luck we will lose all of those guys and have 1 center and struggle in the post next season.

First, Not to bash our guys, but I cannot see any being a first rounder with the possible exception of Tre.Just trying to be honest and not wear blue lenses.

1) Tre is good and will be a solid NBA Backup, but defensively he had some lapses this season (more than last, I feel) and the shooting was still on and off. Height is an issue. Is he better than his brother, who is a NBA backup??? IDK, but he was a 2nd rounder.. Does he really wanna chance the D-League Route?

2) Vern is a Great Player, 18-20 years ago he is a surefire lottery pick, but the NBA is changed too much as a league for bigs. His best be would be to come back if K would let him be exclusively a stretch 4, which is possible with Williams in tow. He can shoot, but release is slow and not enough sample size.

3) Hurt needs a bunch of work. IF (big if) he gets into the League he will be The. Worst. Defensive. Forward. In. The. League. His shooting is avg at best, ball handling is poor, for an NBA forward, and he is slow of foot and needs a SIGNIFICANT strength improvement to ever have a shot at any career in the league.That said, many athletes go through a significant physical enhancement in their Jr /Sr years, I think of Zoubs, Lance, Brian Davis, Sanders... Coming back may benefit him most.

4) Wendell - Swiss army knife for sure...but the blade that shoots the basketball from outside 12 ft must be dull and stuck. Defense could make him a 8-10 year player, but another year of balhansling and making some consistent (40%+ outside shots would push him into a top 20.

All could potentially benefit from returning, but if they can get a 1st round guarantee, I have no problem with them going..I couldn't pass up the coin for sure.

Just my thoughts..I'm bored and I miss the tournament...

Tyus was actually drafted in the first round. Tre will be, as well.

I'd love to see Vernon come back, but he's leaving. Can't say I blame him. His stock isn't likely to rise....strictly based on his size and today's game.

For Hurt, it's not necessarily about being in the league tomorrow that's most appealing to him. All the improvements he can make at Duke are available to him being a professional, as well. What he misses out on is the Duke experience. Selfishly, I'd rather see him at Duke and I know that today he's not an NBA caliber player. Unfortunately, that's not the sole criteria many of these guys make anymore.

Wendell reminds me a lot of Tre....and by that, I mean his thought process. He has many of the intangibles, as you listed, but he's just a little raw. A strong sophomore season could see him make a jump up draft boards.

1. Roach/goldwire
2. Aoc/ dj
3. Wendell/baker
4. Johnson/ brakefield
5. Mark/Coleman

Tre and vern are gone. I dont think there stock can get any higher. Cash could be a rising senior given his age. Hurt could be a rising junior given his age. Imo dont see either coming back given there age and competition for mins.

1. Roach/goldwire
2. Aoc/ dj
3. Wendell/baker
4. Johnson/ brakefield
5. Mark/Coleman

Tre and vern are gone. I dont think there stock can get any higher. Cash could be a rising senior given his age. Hurt could be a rising junior given his age. Imo dont see either coming back given there age and competition for mins.

Need another Center to come in. Duke is playing a risky game here.

Should Wendell come back, and right now it is sounding positive, we are going to have a great addition to next year’s roster. That is almost the way I look at it now. Tre was an addition to this year’s roster. And he was obviously a great addition too. But back to Wendell, he’s raw, but the talent is definitely there. A broken shot that lacks confidence, see Tre. Whatever program Tre was on last summer should be what Wendell starts immediately. The rest of his game needs polishing. Tighter handles, easy fix. He’s a big strong kid that can guard numerous positions and guard them well. He’s a strong finisher. He will be a major help for us next year. Hopefully he makes it official soon.

Hurts Instagram is still all Duke...for the moment.
Maybe his Twitter was hacked??

I get it if he wants to go pro and work his way up through the G League. He turns 20 next month. I don’t agree, and I think he could come back and be a late 1st/early 2nd guy. But it makes some sense.

A transfer makes zero sense. Should have never came to Duke if he thought K was gonna play him 30 minutes a game even though he couldn’t guard anyone.

Hurts Instagram is still all Duke...for the moment.
Maybe his Twitter was hacked??

I get it if he wants to go pro and work his way up through the G League. He turns 20 next month. I don’t agree, and I think he could come back and be a late 1st/early 2nd guy. But it makes some sense.

A transfer makes zero sense. Should have never came to Duke if he thought K was gonna play him 30 minutes a game even though he couldn’t guard anyone.

Twitter hacked? Probably longshot, but who knows since hes in public eye. I don't know,I figure he's talked to someone and maybe going to a smaller school where he won't have to sit out? Hit the weights hard this summer, play 30 mins a game next year, maybe things turn around for the kid. Who knows? Nothing official yet, so still quite a bit of conjecture... OFC

Reactions: jwill133
Nobody in the Hurt family should have issues with how Matt was used this season. It was obvious that he was not playable against certain lineups because of physical limitations. He’s a very talented player and I would love to see him develop in a Duke uniform, but I understand if he wants to continue developing his body while getting a paycheck at the professional level. A transfer would make absolutely no sense though.

Dude G I see what you and others are saying.My thought on transfer is maybe he can get his physical strength and game in shape to point he can make more $$$ next level.. OFC

A transfer, h’oh boy. Would be better off going pro. Sincerely hope that’s just a rumor, but when they change their social media settings, it gets real. And I’m not being facetious. Transferring...

watch-kevin-durant-lose-it-at-travis-scott-singing-showtunes-for-carpool-karaoke.jpg

A transfer, h’oh boy. Would be better off going pro. Sincerely hope that’s just a rumor, but when they change their social media settings, it gets real. And I’m not being facetious. Transferring...

watch-kevin-durant-lose-it-at-travis-scott-singing-showtunes-for-carpool-karaoke.jpg
After doing some digging, it seems he was never really active on Twitter and much more so on the gram. It’s possible he never even changed his info on Twitter. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, because as others have said, transferring makes no sense.

After doing some digging, it seems he was never really active on Twitter and much more so on the gram. It’s possible he never even changed his info on Twitter. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, because as others have said, transferring makes no sense.

I am hoping you're right. OFC

Dude G I see what you and others are saying.My thought on transfer is maybe he can get his physical strength and game in shape to point he can make more $$$ next level.. OFC
Yeah completely get what you’re saying! My post wasn’t directed to you, but just my thoughts on his situation as a whole.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I dont see how Hurt wouldent be one of our top 2 scorers if he was to return next year. Those saying that vern couldent improve his draft stock that's just crazy talk. If he lost 15 pounds and worked on his foot speed and shooting I could see him being a top 10 pick next year after showing a inside/out game

Thats certainly good news to hear. To clarify, I wasnt "starting any rumor," just posting info from a Bleacher Report writer. It also happened to be a natural segue from several prior posts on this board, suggesting Hurt may not return next year. This is certainly no guarantee he will return.I certainly HOPE he does. His FRAME and GAME are not ready for the next level yet. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Outside of Vernon none of these guys are ready for the NBA. Tre is a nice floor general for the college game. He won’t make many NBA rosters though due to his lack of athleticism and shooting. Stanley is still very raw. Another year of college would do him well. Enough has been said about Hurt and Moore. If Tre was so upset about missing the tournament and leaving duke, why is he leaving to begin with? He’s a sophomore for God’s sake. It’s like these kids feel like they have to leave after a year or two.

Outside of Vernon none of these guys are ready for the NBA. Tre is a nice floor general for the college game. He won’t make many NBA rosters though due to his lack of athleticism and shooting. Stanley is still very raw. Another year of college would do him well. Enough has been said about Hurt and Moore. If Tre was so upset about missing the tournament and leaving duke, why is he leaving to begin with? He’s a sophomore for God’s sake. It’s like these kids feel like they have to leave after a year or two.

Would be nice to get them all back to try to win #6. You have to think these guys are considering going back for another year being they didn't have a chance to compete in the NCAA tournament. However, having the opportunity to make millions is nice too.

Agreed, but we also need to have another PG along with Roach. I am tired of us having only one quality PG who is forced to play 38-40 minutes a game.

I think a Senior Goldwire will be an asset. Also, who knows, Tre could return to try to win the title. If he decides not to, Duke will have plenty of ball handlers. Roach, Steward, Moore, Goldwire, and Jalen Johnson can dish the rock as well. I'm more concerned with our frontcourt than anything. Our backcourt is loaded without Tre. Duke needs to add another post player IMO.

So let's say tre, vern, cash, and hurt leave. What do you think our starting lineup will be? I could def see this team struggling vs a set defense in the halfcourt with lack of shooting. Jalen johnson in my opinion is just a bigger version of wendell moore and those 2 have to drive to create and neither shoot very well. throw that in with a raw center that needs lobs and putbacks to score i see us playing vs lots of packed def and struggling. Another thing is i think the PG and SG spots are 50/50. A senior goldwire and O'Connell should compete for those spots over roach and steward in my opinion

It’s like these kids feel like they have to leave after a year or two.

To a certain extent they do. Many NBA execs operate under a younger-is-better policy. Younger players have more room to improve. Staying in college for your junior or senior seasons is viewed as an acknowledgment that your game has flaws and improvement is less likely.

NBA teams have formal agreements with G-league teams and have substantial resources devoted to turning not-ready-for-primetime 19-year-olds into 20-year-old NBA contributors. Look at Gary Trent. The NBA thinks that players can develop better under their tutelage than by staying in college.

And the players know that.

So let's say tre, vern, cash, and hurt leave. What do you think our starting lineup will be? I could def see this team struggling vs a set defense in the halfcourt with lack of shooting. Jalen johnson in my opinion is just a bigger version of wendell moore and those 2 have to drive to create and neither shoot very well. throw that in with a raw center that needs lobs and putbacks to score i see us playing vs lots of packed def and struggling. Another thing is i think the PG and SG spots are 50/50. A senior goldwire and O'Connell should compete for those spots over roach and steward in my opinion

Our post scares me a bit, being we don't have a go to center like Vernon. I think Mark Williams is a much better defender than vernon, however, offensively he's not. DJ Steward is going to score a lot of points, the kid can flat our score! I think Steward will be our best shooter next season. Jalen Johnsons ability to pass and get everyone involved will make us difficult to defend. He can score if needed as well.

1. Roach/goldwire
2. Aoc/ dj
3. Wendell/baker
4. Johnson/ brakefield
5. Mark/Coleman

I’m thinking on the lines of that starting lineup except I think DJ starts over Alex though.

K has a history of loving his seniors who play defense. Goldwire showed some offense later in the year this year too. I think he starts and plays a Matt Jones role for 20-21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT