ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

Rumor is Hurt is leaving...yikes

To me that is no surprise. He came to Duke as a one and done. Maybe he has checked things out and feels comfortable he will be drafted. I can't see the 1st round though. Maybe 2nd but not sure. Who knows? OFC

I hope they don’t let seniors back. We have had enough of Javin. Petition for J Rob. He might can play his way into a nba player. Just maybe

Carey’s the only one I’d put money on leaving. I think Tre returning is about 60-40 . I ain’t feeling as confident about it as I did last year. The rest...flip a coin. Im 55- 45 our seniors get another year of eligibility. I’m 99.9-.1 I stayed at an holiday inn express last night and people are gonna bitch & moan about who goes:cool:

Last edited:
Crazy how players use to leave only if they were a lotto pick, now they leave without knowing they’ll be drafted. If hurt leaves that’s unreal considering Roy will somehow get brooks and bacot back.

A lot of social media rumors that Wendell is back and Hurt is leaving...

I don't get why Hurt would leave, could come back, be an All-ACC type guy, and probably get drafted in the 20's or 30's, he ain't getting drafted this summer.

I don't get why Hurt would leave, could come back, be an All-ACC type guy, and probably get drafted in the 20's or 30's, he ain't getting drafted this summer.

Hurt has a grind in the development league ahead of him. I think he's going to have a short pro career.

Reactions: pisgah101
Don't understand why Hurt would leave. Next season he would get plenty of playing time, being we're going to be thin upfront. Doesn't make sense to me, none at all.

Some saying to transfer, not NBA. Parents not happy at all with his time at Duke. Dukes had their share of unhappy parents/handlers with players and recruits over the years.

I don't know anything just what I've read/heard. Take it as a rumor for now.

Some saying to transfer, not NBA. Parents not happy at all with his time at Duke. Dukes had their share of unhappy parents/handlers with players and recruits over the years.

I agree. Hurt needs to add strength and be able to battle in the post at times. Obviously, he can shoot, however, he needs to improve his rebounding and defense. I'm hoping he can work on his weaknesses and return next season and show out. Having Hurt at the 5 would be a matchup nightmare for opponents.

I'm not sure Hurt even starts if he comes back to Duke, which is crazy.

Jaylen Johnson is gonna be our best player next year, Jaylen is a 4 in K's system, since he isn't a great shooter. Think Justise Winslow but a super-duper elite passer.
We are gonna be weak at the 5 next year, but can Hurt start center for us?? I don't see it, I think Mark Williams starts at center.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it would not surprise me....with regards to Hurt's dad. He seemed to be more involved in the recruiting process than his son. Their plan, meaning the family, was that college would be a one-year stepping stone. Sometimes plans change.

I'd be surprised if he decided to transfer, only because that would assume three years in college, a missed season altogether and joining what appears to be a very formidable 2022 draft class (as it stands now on paper).

My gut hunch? Hurt tests the waters and makes the decision to go pro.

I'm not sure Hurt even starts if he comes back to Duke, which is crazy.

Jaylen Johnson is gonna be our best player next year, Jaylen is a 4 in K's system, since he isn't a great shooter. Think Justise Winslow but a super-duper elite passer.
We are gonna be weak at the 5 next year, but can Hurt start center for us?? I don't see it, I think Mark Williams starts at center.

Hurt at the 5 would be a nightmare at the 5 next year with the players surrounding him. His ability to hit the 3 would force opposing centers to have to come out of the post to guard him, especially against teams like UNC (who love a two bigman lineup).

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it would not surprise me....with regards to Hurt's dad. He seemed to be more involved in the recruiting process than his son. Their plan, meaning the family, was that college would be a one-year stepping stone. Sometimes plans change.

I'd be surprised if he decided to transfer, only because that would assume three years in college, a missed season altogether and joining what appears to be a very formidable 2022 draft class (as it stands now on paper).

My gut hunch? Hurt tests the waters and makes the decision to go pro.

Will Duke go after another post player? Seems like Duke is going to be mighty thin upfront. Even Mark Williams stated that he needs another big to give him rest.

Hurt at the 5 would be a nightmare at the 5 next year with the players surrounding him. His ability to hit the 3 would force opposing centers to have to come out of the post to guard him, especially against teams like UNC (who love a two bigman lineup).
We would be incredible offensively, we would be terrible defensively with Hurt starting at the 5.

Reactions: mbdfan and AlanInNJ
Will Duke go after another post player? Seems like Duke is going to be mighty thin upfront. Even Mark Williams stated that he needs another big to give him rest.

I'm guessing will do all they can as far as exploring options goes. You have to remember....no AAU circuit this spring and the likelihood of summer tournaments being froze is also there.

Right now it's pretty much letting things play out.

I'm guessing will do all they can as far as exploring options goes. You have to remember....no AAU circuit this spring and the likelihood of summer tournaments being froze is also there.

Right now it's pretty much letting things play out.

Yeah, I figured that much. I can't say I didn't foresee this coming a few months ago in regards to being thin in the post. I stated Duke is shooting themselves in the foot by not locking up another post player. 1 injury to Mark Williams next season and Duke is toast. I wonder if someone like Cliff Omoruyi could be an option. He's ranked 41st and 6"10 230lbs. Seems to have a college ready frame already. He's better than nothing at this point. He's very aggressive and plays with a mean streak in the post.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that much. I can't say I didn't foresee this coming a few months ago in regards to being thin in the post. I stated Duke is shooting themselves in the foot by not locking up another post player. 1 injury to Mark Williams next season and Duke is toast. I wonder if someone like Cliff Omoruyi could be an option. He's ranked 41st and 6"10 230lbs. Seems to have a college ready frame already. He's better than nothing at this point. He's very aggressive and plays with a mean streak in the post.

Ranked 41st. Personally I would like to have him but I got a feeling if we did get him he would be the next player to blame everything on. OFC

Where or what site are you seeing these rumors from. Haven't seen anything on Twitter or anywhere

Ranked 41st. Personally I would like to have him but I got a feeling if we did get him he would be the next player to blame everything on. OFC

If you check his highlights out, you can see he's college ready physically and super aggressive. The effort is there and I feel like he's good enough to give Williams a rest and not lack defensively. He's a big physical post player and we need that.

Reactions: skysdad
If you check his highlights out, you can see he's college ready physically and super aggressive. The effort is there and I feel like he's good enough to give Williams a rest and not lack defensively. He's a big physical post player and we need that.

Of course we need a player like that but the first game he has a Javin like what will somev DI posters do to him? Right next years roster doesn't seem to have a consistant scape goat. Who's it gonna be ? OFC

For the people saying Matthew Hurt will never amount to much after one year of college ball, your opinion is based on pure emotional disappoint. Matthew Hurt is your traditional freshman, before one and done took over college hoops. He is a very skilled offensive player, but for a variety of reasons, probably wasn’t the best fit for Duke this year. I don’t think anyone is to blame and hindsight is 20/20. I believe he needed an environment that was going to force his minutes on the court this year. He needed to grow through his mistakes and adapt to a bigger and more physical game. Duke almost had too many options for him. Duke wasn’t forced to play him. He got his opportunities, but wasn’t nearly consistent enough to justify consistent minutes. If his shot wasn’t falling, there’s very little else that he offered that Duke couldn’t get from someone else on the roster. And defensively, he simply isn’t big enough or quick enough to guard the opponents he would have needed to guard. Again, he or his dad may not have been happy with his time at Duke and I guess I wouldn’t blame them. But I also don’t blame Duke and I don’t think Duke did him wrong in any way.

But going back to my original point, no one and I mean no one has any idea what Matthew Hurt will be in 3-5 years. You can always had weight and strength. You can’t always add the natural scoring skill he possesses. We just have a habit of lashing out when we don’t think a player “gave us” enough during that player’s time with Duke. Especially the top recruits like a Matthew Hurt. I can tell you this though, for the people who think he’s crazy for tossing his name in the draft. His biggest asset right now is his potential. A year from now or 2 years from now that potential will be fully replaced by reality, whatever reality that is.

Sometimes players are not one n done level players going into college. Hurt and his family hopefully understand this. And the things that made him not able to see the court as much in freshmen year are easily fixed through a full offseason of hard work. He could be a top 20 player next year IMO.

Sometimes players are not one n done level players going into college. Hurt and his family hopefully understand this. And the things that made him not able to see the court as much in freshmen year are easily fixed through a full offseason of hard work. He could be a top 20 player next year IMO.

Hopefully, Hurt will stick around and work on his weaknesses. Seems like Duke can't catch a break with keeping kids around, meanwhile, 7 miles down the road, they're able to keep kids in college for 3-4 years.

Completely agree, he could be one of those guys who shows consistency next season and gets drafted higher (or just drafted). Perhaps Hurt should talk to Tre about how a 2nd season can truly move you up the draft boards.

Hurt could go undrafted, sign a free agent deal and play in the G league. So he must decide what's best for him and if one more season in college is worth the impact it could have on his career, good or bad.

People forget even with his lack of playing time Hurt was Dukes highest draft pick at one time off his potential.

He fits the mold of the new NBA big and he can get stronger in the NBA just as much as he can in college and get paid.

I always thought he was gone after one year the only one I saw coming back was Moore.

Most of the fans aren’t the ones who rate these kids where they are before coming to college. We also aren’t the ones who set the system in place that college basketball is in. The game is younger now, the better players leave after one season, or as soon as their stock is high enough. So with all that is in place, the opportunities for the higher rated kids to come in and produce should be higher than it was 10 years ago, or longer.
The Matthew Hurt’s of the world are expected to come in and be more ready. That isn’t on the fans.
I’m not mad at him, but was expecting a little more than we got out of him.

Hurt could absolutely play the 5 for Duke next season assuming he could get up to 230 or so.

If he leaves-I have no inside info--I would expect Duke to look hard at a re-class, a grad-student option, maybe an international player. The need would exist and the opportunity would exist.

Hurt's lack of athleticism was pretty obvious to me. Made Ryan Kelly look like Cassius Stanley. Also I didn't see a lot of fire in the way he played most of the time. I would like him back but won't shed tears if he's not.

First, Not to bash our guys, but I cannot see any being a first rounder with the possible exception of Tre.Just trying to be honest and not wear blue lenses.

1) Tre is good and will be a solid NBA Backup, but defensively he had some lapses this season (more than last, I feel) and the shooting was still on and off. Height is an issue. Is he better than his brother, who is a NBA backup??? IDK, but he was a 2nd rounder.. Does he really wanna chance the D-League Route?

2) Vern is a Great Player, 18-20 years ago he is a surefire lottery pick, but the NBA is changed too much as a league for bigs. His best be would be to come back if K would let him be exclusively a stretch 4, which is possible with Williams in tow. He can shoot, but release is slow and not enough sample size.

3) Hurt needs a bunch of work. IF (big if) he gets into the League he will be The. Worst. Defensive. Forward. In. The. League. His shooting is avg at best, ball handling is poor, for an NBA forward, and he is slow of foot and needs a SIGNIFICANT strength improvement to ever have a shot at any career in the league.That said, many athletes go through a significant physical enhancement in their Jr /Sr years, I think of Zoubs, Lance, Brian Davis, Sanders... Coming back may benefit him most.

4) Wendell - Swiss army knife for sure...but the blade that shoots the basketball from outside 12 ft must be dull and stuck. Defense could make him a 8-10 year player, but another year of balhansling and making some consistent (40%+ outside shots would push him into a top 20.

All could potentially benefit from returning, but if they can get a 1st round guarantee, I have no problem with them going..I couldn't pass up the coin for sure.

Just my thoughts..I'm bored and I miss the tournament...

Reactions: jwill133
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT