ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

I've definitely been reading too much into what Hurt/Moore are gonna do. The real truth to all this is, it's still way too early to know anything, there isn't anything else going on so as Duke fans we are clearly shifting our focus to what guys are coming back. The tournament wouldn't have even started yet.

I expect Moore to return, all signs point to that.
I expect Hurt to test the waters at the combine, I believe he should come back, but we will see, I don't think any decision is made.

Just throwing it out there, I think there's a small chance Cassius comes back. Just reading the tea leaves, he has had A LOT of social media interactions with Wendell and Hurt the past few days, they probably are just bored, but something to consider.

My advice to everyone: Like it or spike it;

If you can handle the disappointment of them all leaving, go searching for information, Im sure you can find plenty. Usually everyone has an opinion and there’s usually enough time before a formal announcement to have fun with all the hidden meanings such as removing Duke from a twitter page only to put them back up shortly after. Have fun with it all.

If you can’t handle the disappointment of most if not all leaving, stay away from it all. Don’t torture yourself. At the end of the day you may get a Tre surprise, but you’ll most likely get a Duval departure that to you makes no logical sense.

In my opinion, Goldwire is average at best at everything except defense. Average passer, barely average shooter, not a great ballhandler. I would like to see another point guard who is above average in those areas. Just my opinion. OFC

If he is our back up pg next year we will be grateful we have him just like we were grateful this year.OFC

If AOC is in the starting line up, it’s not good news for Duke fans...
I could see O'Connell finally putting it all together. He has loads of potential. If hurt returns I think we go small. With a starting lineup of

Roach/ goldwire
Oconnell/ steward
Moore/ baker
Johnson/ brakefield
Hurt/ williams/ coleman

That team should rebound fine with above average size at the 2-4. Wouldent mind seeing K play platoon like calapari did in 2015 either

I could see O'Connell finally putting it all together. He has loads of potential. If hurt returns I think we go small. With a starting lineup of

Roach/ goldwire
Oconnell/ steward
Moore/ baker
Johnson/ brakefield
Hurt/ williams/ coleman

That team should rebound fine with above average size at the 2-4. Wouldent mind seeing K play platoon like calapari did in 2015 either
The second team would be better 3 pt shooters w Steward, Baker and Brakefield

Wild. There isn’t going to be a combine. No testing the waters, either you believe in your draft stock or you don’t.

The fact that Hurt/Moore are not on any draft boards has to help Duke right? They can’t improve their stock.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Wild. There isn’t going to be a combine. No testing the waters, either you believe in your draft stock or you don’t.

The fact that Hurt/Moore are not on any draft boards has to help Duke right? They can’t improve their stock.

I am by no means trying to put any of our guys down, but in reality I don’t think any of them are ready for the nba. I like all of our players and think they are/can be very great college ball players Tre and Carey are already there. Stanley, Hurt, and Moore can get to that level as well. Imo, not that it matters, I think Tre will struggle to make an nba roster if he enters the nba right now. He is no where near as ready as Tyus was and Tyus was a 1 and done. The back to the basket big man is non existent in today’s nba game and Carey again IMO would struggle to get any floor time if he were to enter the nba right now. Stanley is really athletic, but he disappeared on many nights this season, by no means is he close to as prepared as Barrett, Tatum, and Ingram were at the same stage of their careers. Those 3 along with Hurt and Moore can still come back to Duke and improve their games to a whole other level.

Reactions: jwill133
Hurt will not be starting at center. That’s a pipe dream. He will leave before starting at center. He came into college to play the 3 and 4. We won’t play a second of 5 in the pros so why waste time playing it in college.

That’s great to see Joey coming back.. I do believe AOC will look into transferring though (If Moore returns), since he won’t have to sit out a year as a grad-transfer.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Hurt will not be starting at center. That’s a pipe dream. He will leave before starting at center. He came into college to play the 3 and 4. We won’t play a second of 5 in the pros so why waste time playing it in college.
He needs to improve his ability to defend and rebound for the nba. Why not learn that as a 5 in college? It isn’t like he would be stuck in the post if he played the 5 at duke. He would float around the perimeter regardless of if he is the tallest player on the court

He needs to improve his ability to defend and rebound for the nba. Why not learn that as a 5 in college? It isn’t like he would be stuck in the post if he played the 5 at duke. He would float around the perimeter regardless of if he is the tallest player on the court
He only came to Duke because he was promised he would be able to play the 3 and 4. That was the selling point for him. He’s trying to work on perimeter skills. We not trying to develop him as a 5. We’re trying to win games.

He only came to Duke because he was promised he would be able to play the 3 and 4. That was the selling point for him. He’s trying to work on perimeter skills. We not trying to develop him as a 5. We’re trying to win games.
He would play like a 3 or 4 on offense much like this year. Does that count?

Where did the idea of Matthew playing the 5 position come from anyway? If he does return has anyone from the DUKE coaching staff indicated it in anyway? OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
He would play like a 3 or 4 on offense much like this year. Does that count?
Idk if he ready to bang like that in the post. He seem like he’s trying to move away from the goal. If anything he would start at the 4. We would start Wendell and Johnson at the 2 and 3. And hurt at the 4 with Williams. We need Williams out there.

Next year's keys are very similar to this year's. Really key for Joey, Alex, and Goldwire to improve most if not all facets of their game. If they do, they become super subs and or solid, steady veteran presence sprinkled in the starting lineup.
Second, we need the freshman to be legit. At least 2 need to be studs like Vernon and Stanley. Two of the others need to be productive, but more consistent than Moore and Hurt. The fifth needs to be serviceable and not a deer in the headlights.
Moore and or Hurt coming back and taking the next step up change us from being FF capable to favorites if most of the above comes to fruition.

If we lost Hurt but kept Tre, I think that that's a win for Duke, IMHO.

That said, if Hurt does transfer, perhaps he can blame the Coronavirus and his need to stay close to him, wonder if that would get a waiver and not sit out a year.

Keeping Tre would obviously be huge. However, if we lose Hurt, Duke is going to be scary thin upfront.

hurts already paper thin as is lol
lol true. However, Duke needs another center, badly. Duke is playing with fire. They have a few options out there, but Duke isn't seeking them for whatever reason. Maybe, they have an unexpected player returning or something up their sleeve. Just doesn't make any sense as to why you would not address an apparent issue that's foreseeable.

lol true. However, Duke needs another center, badly. Duke is playing with fire. They have a few options out there, but Duke isn't seeking them for whatever reason. Maybe, they have an unexpected player returning or something up their sleeve. Just doesn't make any sense as to why you would not address an apparent issue that's foreseeable.

But really, how do we know Duke isn't addressing concerns....because they don't come out and directly say it or show it? Call it a hunch, but I'd guess the staff is exploring their options. We're not privy to inner workings on a day-to-day basis. We're supposed to be playing our first NCAA tournament game two days from now and we're in the middle of a quiet period. There's only so much that can be done.

I know these are rumors but remember back in the day when parents pushed their kids to stay the course and work hard to improve.

I think a lot still do. I mean, there were 'bad' parents 25 years ago, too. On top of that, stay the course can mean something else to each individual. For Hurt, it's been his dream to be a pro. I don't think he's anywhere near being ready to play in the NBA, but the opportunity to learn and train while getting paid is more of a viable option these days with the G-league.

Reactions: timo0402 and dbav
What if everyone stayed and our seniors were given another year of eligibility? OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT