ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

Duke isn't hitting the grad-student transfer market because they expect Carey, Jones, Stanley to return. Time to put those fantasies away. There will be significant attrition.

K just said Tre is a lock to go pro.

No, I repeat no mention of Vernon or Cassius, this is not a drill.

Everything with hurt is all speculation and rumors... but I feel like this is turning into a Bolden type situation his sophomore into junior year

Everything with hurt is all speculation and rumors... but I feel like this is turning into a Bolden type situation his sophomore into junior year
Well I will take that situation because that means we would get him for two more years. I doubt we get him back for one more. Hope I'm wrong though.

Well I will take that situation because that means we would get him for two more years. I doubt we get him back for one more. Hope I'm wrong though.

oh I would too... I have no knowledge at all on this so I will stop at that instead of making predictions and stuff

I think Hurt is way farther along than Bolden ever was in college....but if you mean stock ‘potentially’ dropping as a pro I can see your argument.

Here’s the thing with Hurt....these offensive numbers are pretty impressive. He just couldn’t guard people.

20.5 mpg
9.7 ppg
48.7% FG
74.1% FT
39.3% 3FG

In addition, just under four boards and a block/game. He just really, really struggled guarding people and it kept him off the floor. Four years at Duke and the guy flirts with 2,000 career points. He briefly showed flashes this year, but this is a kid who can really score the basketball in a variety of ways. Like I said....defense coupled with lack of size and being a throwback freshman were his biggest deficiencies.

I think Hurt is way farther along than Bolden ever was in college....but if you mean stock ‘potentially’ dropping as a pro I can see your argument.

Here’s the thing with Hurt....these offensive numbers are pretty impressive. He just couldn’t guard people.

20.5 mpg
9.7 ppg
48.7% FG
74.1% FT
39.3% 3FG

In addition, just under four boards and a block/game. He just really, really struggled guarding people and it kept him off the floor. Four years at Duke and the guy flirts with 2,000 career points. He briefly showed flashes this year, but this is a kid who can really score the basketball in a variety of ways. Like I said....defense coupled with lack of size and being a throwback freshman were his biggest deficiencies.

Not really the game aspect more of the rumors flying: will he stay, will he go, will he transfer, his parents and him not happy with playing time etc. so pretty much what you stated as in stock

Reactions: dukiejay
Here’s the thing with Hurt....these offensive numbers are pretty impressive. He just couldn’t guard people
You're right and it makes me wonder about the "Hurt is further along than any other freshman on defense" quote from K. I guess it could have been a couple of things. Maybe he was further along, as far as positioning and communication go, or perhaps it was just a "coach comment" to either defend and/or inspire. My guess is it's the former, because the bigger and more athletic the team, the more he struggled.

Reactions: jwill133
I’m not very confident. He hasn’t visited and i haven’t seen anything that says we have even offered him. Hopefully I’m wrong though.
So you think he’s down to two random teams that didn’t offer him? Or he just threw Duke in there to get on ESPN? I’m sure it has been confirmed by these media guys.

You're right and it makes me wonder about the "Hurt is further along than any other freshman on defense" quote from K. I guess it could have been a couple of things. Maybe he was further along, as far as positioning and communication go, or perhaps it was just a "coach comment" to either defend and/or inspire. My guess is it's the former, because the bigger and more athletic the team, the more he struggled.
He does a lot of “coach comments” so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was that. Most of his comments should be taken with a grain of salt. He just tell these media guys anything to control a narrative. He has mastered this media thing

So you think he’s down to two random teams that didn’t offer him? Or he just threw Duke in there to get on ESPN? I’m sure it has been confirmed by these media guys.
I’m not saying OSU hasn’t offered him. I’m saying i haven’t seen anything that says Duke has. They may have but it just hasn’t been let out. Honestly i don’t know but it wouldn’t surprise if he has duke in his top 2 to get more attention on his decision.

I’m not saying OSU hasn’t offered him. I’m saying i haven’t seen anything that says Duke has. They may have but it just hasn’t been let out. Honestly i don’t know but it wouldn’t surprise if he has duke in his top 2 to get more attention on his decision.
Gotcha. If he chooses OSU that might be the case. When it comes to basketball I just can’t see someone legitimately choosing OSU over Duke. Especially without being able to visit either. OSU is definitely a nice and huge campus. It would be kind of hard to turn down that environment honestly

Reactions: tp394
Gotcha. If he chooses OSU that might be the case. When it comes to basketball I just can’t see someone legitimately choosing OSU over Duke. Especially without being able to visit either. OSU is definitely a nice and huge campus. It would be kind of hard to turn down that environment honestly
Duke hasn’t offered Towns. Duke won’t be his selection.

He’s from Ohio and the Buckeyes are losing everybody. Everybody. But, Duke wants him, too.

I’d say as a 21-year-old, he has two pretty great options for himself.

Sucks to see Alex leave, but like most everyone has said, he probably wasn’t going to get much playing time next season. Best of luck to him moving forward with his career!

I do feel for Alex. Imo and from my perspective it looked like he was put on a very short leash from his time as a freshmen and so on. He came in as a top 40 recruit and did deliver at times, but other times he played timid because he felt if he made 1 mistake he was getting taken out (this did happen on some occasions by the way). Some of his best games were against Portland State, Syracuse, Notre Dame, V Tech in last years tournament, and @ UNC this season. He was not the greatest defender, but he was not a slug on defense either. I wish he would have returned his senior season along with Goldy to lead the 2020-2021 Duke team. Good Luck AOC, I am grateful you were a Blue Devil and hope you thrive at your next school.

Last edited:
Bachelors from Yale, Masters from Duke. If he isn't going pro, that would be the next best thing.

I believed that it was just an internet rumor. It never made any sense to me. The general consensus appears to be that he needs at least another year to gain weight and get stronger before the NBA becomes a strong option. I don't see how sitting out a year helps him. That change in his twitter profile? seems to have been the spark that set the speculation off.

I guess that it takes very little to start something. I could see him at least exploring feedback from the pro folks but it would surprise me if he transferred.

Wow, I just realized Seth Towns hasn’t played since the 2017-2018 season.. I thought his stats were from this past season.. I’m not really disappointed we didn’t land him now.. he could be a shell of what he was 2 seasons ago.. not a risk I would have taken.

I believed that it was just an internet rumor. It never made any sense to me. The general consensus appears to be that he needs at least another year to gain weight and get stronger before the NBA becomes a strong option. I don't see how sitting out a year helps him. That change in his twitter profile? seems to have been the spark that set the speculation off.

I guess that it takes very little to start something. I could see him at least exploring feedback from the pro folks but it would surprise me if he transferred.
Yea, he would be better off just declaring for the draft than to transfer.. he could develop a lot more in 2 years of G-League play than he would sitting out one year then playing one more year of NCAA ball..

Duke for one more year is the best option for him to develop though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT