ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on 2020-21 Roster

AlanInNJ

Cameron Crazy
Feb 25, 2014
Yeah, I think we are all upset and disappointed about the abrupt end to the season. In my heart I think it was the right thing to do. If you're upset as a fan, how do you think the players feel? Guys like Tre who came back for another chance at a championship? Guys like JRob who was on the verge of doing something really special? Guys like Vernon who just won ACC ROY and probably had more to prove in the ACC and NCAA tournaments?

I don't mean to trivialize the impacts the virus will have on the worldwide community, but since I am not ready to stop at least talking about Duke basketball, how do you think this unexpected ending effects guys who we suspected might or probably would leave? I often hear that comment "it will depend how the team finishes the year, how they play out in the tournament". Whelp, that's not happening. :(

Alan

Last edited:
I’ve been wrong nearly every step of the way so let’s keep it going. I don’t have any clue how it will influence them but my gut tells me it won’t change many decisions. I think Vern, Tre, Cash we’re gone no matter what and i don’t think this changes it. Hurt and Wendell have decisions to make.

I'm still holding out hope for a postponement and the possibility of play come end of April or in May. If not, then best of luck to whoever leaves. I just feel so bad for the seniors, especially JRob. And I feel for Tre. Kid has given everything he has to the game and it doesn't seem right for it to end this way. Of course, he is one of many kids feeling that today.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
The more I read on social media etc. seems like Hurt is 50/50 or even possibly has a better chance of coming back than leaving. I think Moore is back, though obviously nothing official.
If we get Hurt and Moore back, combined with what we have coming in, I think we will be preseason #1. Next years team isn't gonna be elite like the Zion team, but man we are gonna be deep and talented. Alex/Joey coming back will be key too. Alex is technically graduating and wouldn't be shocked if he moves somewhere else, just a hunch.

I truly believe K is going ALL IN on the 2021-2022 team as his next best chance at #6. We got Griffin, seem to be a lock for Baldwin, and then obviously Kuminga is the biggest treasure of all. If we get all 3 of them, it will be a lot like Zion, RJ, and Cam. However, instead of meshing the studs with the Jack Whites and Goldwires of the world like we did with Zion. This team will be mixing the elite studs with 4 and 5 star guys that WON'T be OAD next year but are future pro's (Roach, Steward, Coleman, Williams, etc.) I expect the 2021-2022 team to dominate, and hey, we play UK in the Champions Classic, expect another beatdown.

Shoot if it was me I jump.. put in all this work and have the NCAA take away any shot at playing for something you’ve always dreamed of while you could be waiting around still collecting a paycheck. Give me the money screw the NCAA

Reactions: PixelDevil
Do the NBA players still get paid the rest of the season? I assume they do.

Do the NBA players still get paid the rest of the season? I assume they do.
No. I was actually just reading about this. They do not get paid while the league is suspended. If the season gets cancelled, that’s it, no pay. Obviously if the season continues (most think it will) than pay resumes.

Shoutout to Kevin Love, he just donated 100K to the Cleveland arena workers who will be out of pay for the next month or two.

No. I was actually just reading about this. They do not get paid while the league is suspended. If the season gets cancelled, that’s it, no pay. Obviously if the season continues (most think it will) than pay resumes.

Shoutout to Kevin Love, he just donated 100K to the Cleveland arena workers who will be out of pay for the next month or two.

wow didn’t expect that

Reactions: jwill133
The latest mock draft online which was from bleacher report 18 hours ago only has the first round projections. Interesting to see that tre is the only player of ours listed and that's at 27th. No carey, no cash, no hurt. Not saying they wont all go but we realy have no first round locks. I realy dont think carey is as much of lock as some think. He has money and with only one other center next year who is still raw. He comes right in and gets 30 mins a game with a elite defensive center playing 10 mins behind him and a chance at npoy

Last edited:
The latest mock draft online which was from bleacher report 18 hours ago only has the first round projections. Interesting to see that tre is the only player of ours listed and that's at 27th. No carey, no cash, no hurt. Not saying they wont all go but we realy have no first round locks. I realy dont think carey is as much of lock as some think. He has money and with only one other center next year he comes right in and gets 30 mins a game with a elite defensive center playing 10 mins behind him

Wow.....I can’t imagine Carey isn’t not only first round, but lottery

Reactions: tripleb71
I just can't see a scenario where Tre, Carey or Cassius return. I'm hoping the other two come back.

Shoot if it was me I jump.. put in all this work and have the NCAA take away any shot at playing for something you’ve always dreamed of while you could be waiting around still collecting a paycheck. Give me the money screw the NCAA

we actually play msu...

Reactions: tripleb71
wow didn’t expect that
How would they be able to pay them if they aren’t bringing in any money? All they would have is money from TV deals, but I’m sure there is a clause in those contracts if they aren’t able to put on televised games.

How would they be able to pay them if they aren’t bringing in any money? All they would have is money from TV deals, but I’m sure there is a clause in those contracts if they aren’t able to put on televised games.

cuz the tv deals are still there... what do you mean how? It’s a multi billion dollar industry

Every expert/twitter genius said Tre was gone last year, wait for the players to announce

Heard some BS on talk radio about NCAA granting additional year of eligibility, which also means seniors could return. IMO a ridiculous idea, since everyone played a whole season. But what would that do to scholy limits, etc? Again, it's a dumb idea.
OFC
PS: Might apply to LAX, Baseball, etc. A different story.

The more I read on social media etc. seems like Hurt is 50/50 or even possibly has a better chance of coming back than leaving. I think Moore is back, though obviously nothing official.
If we get Hurt and Moore back, combined with what we have coming in, I think we will be preseason #1. Next years team isn't gonna be elite like the Zion team, but man we are gonna be deep and talented. Alex/Joey coming back will be key too. Alex is technically graduating and wouldn't be shocked if he moves somewhere else, just a hunch.

I truly believe K is going ALL IN on the 2021-2022 team as his next best chance at #6. We got Griffin, seem to be a lock for Baldwin, and then obviously Kuminga is the biggest treasure of all. If we get all 3 of them, it will be a lot like Zion, RJ, and Cam. However, instead of meshing the studs with the Jack Whites and Goldwires of the world like we did with Zion. This team will be mixing the elite studs with 4 and 5 star guys that WON'T be OAD next year but are future pro's (Roach, Steward, Coleman, Williams, etc.) I expect the 2021-2022 team to dominate, and hey, we play UK in the Champions Classic, expect another beatdown.

So if two role players (Hurt and Moore) come back, this will more than offset the loss of Carey, Jones, JRob, Stanley. I'll defer to your expertise.

So if two role players (Hurt and Moore) come back, this will more than offset the loss of Carey, Jones, JRob, Stanley. I'll defer to your expertise.
Thank you?
Hurt and Moore should both be much better players next year, both played like freshman this year that clearly have talent but aren't OAD material. Hurt and Moore would not be role players next year. If Hurt gets stronger, he could be a 15-18 ppg guy. And Wendell has the tools to be one of the most well-rounded players in the country.

Basketball players progress and grow differently, Hurt still needs to grow into his body, he's got plenty of skill, he just needs more time. Wendell is the opposite, he's got the body, just needs another summer in the gym to get better at basketball.

I don't know if you are aware, but we are bringing in a new crop of freshman (and they are really good.) Combine the new crop of freshman plus a sophomore Hurt and Moore, and yes I think we will be better next year than we were this year.

Reactions: bfort2223
Thank you?
Hurt and Moore should both be much better players next year, both played like freshman this year that clearly have talent but aren't OAD material. Hurt and Moore would not be role players next year. If Hurt gets stronger, he could be a 15-18 ppg guy. And Wendell has the tools to be one of the most well-rounded players in the country.

Basketball players progress and grow differently, Hurt still needs to grow into his body, he's got plenty of skill, he just needs more time. Wendell is the opposite, he's got the body, just needs another summer in the gym to get better at basketball.

I don't know if you are aware, but we are bringing in a new crop of freshman (and they are really good.) Combine the new crop of freshman plus a sophomore Hurt and Moore, and yes I think we will be better next year than we were this year.

So Hurt is gonna beef up in the weight room and average about what Laettner did his soph year. That would be a pleasant surprise. If Hurt is Duke's leading scorer, that could spell trouble. You obviously keep up w/ recruiting more than I do, so I hope you're right about the freshmen. If Moore can improve his shot and the fresh are as good as you think, then winning the ACC is on the table for sure.

So Hurt is gonna beef up in the weight room and average about what Laettner did his soph year. That would be a pleasant surprise. If Hurt is Duke's leading scorer, that could spell trouble. You obviously keep up w/ recruiting more than I do, so I hope you're right about the freshmen. If Moore can improve his shot and the fresh are as good as you think, then winning the ACC is on the table for sure.

Hurt this year was a lot like what freshmen in college used to be....rough and tumble. I understand you probably didn't like him and was mad he wasn't as good as what some thought, but I thought he clearly showed a propensity --- at times --- of scoring the basketball. He just wasn't where he needed to be yet.

Matthew is a good player with loads of talent. Do I think he'd score 16 to 18 ppg next season? Maybe not....but I don't think it's as far-fetched as you, either. Until mid-February he was averaging around 12. Again, he was a freshmen in every sense of the word. This is a kid who played against the very best on the AAU circuit and accumulated over 3,500 points in high school.

I just hope he values the college game enough and decides to return for another season. I don't have any ties to what he might do, but I know his family always saw him as a one-year player. Things can change, though.

You want Bacot to come back??
Yes! He was terrible most of the time. He had no idea what he was doing on defense. Plus, they hate him on THR and wanted him gone before the season was over. That’s all I need to know to know that I want him around for 4 years.

If bacot comes back unc will literally have 4 of the best 10 bigs in the country on one roster. Bacot would be a load as a sophomore and could prob be there 3rd or 4th opt in the post

Bacot played quite well down the stretch, and I think he has loads of potential. He’s a double-double machine. I’d be really happy if he leaves.
That’s what i was thinking. Plus Roy is really good at developing bigs so i definitely don’t want to see him next year

Reactions: timo0402
I also see Tre, Carey and Stanley gone. I think the cancellation really made the decision for them that they won’t want to see happen again.

NBA players get paid per game played. Zion is also paying his areana’s employees salary for thirty days. It’s not just affecting owners and workers . Think about the refs and venues inside that are now shut down along with restaurants hotels and stores that look forward to tourneys expanding their profit margin.

Hurt and Moore come back in my opinion . Even if the NCAA does allow seniors to return how many will actually return ? That’s the real question. A lot plays into that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT