ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not a Duke graduate but I'm still aDukie.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I posted something similar on a Duke face book group. I've been thinking about this a little. Seems to one of UNC nations favorite ploy is the fact that the overwhelming majority of Duke fans aren't alumni and many of us never have witnessed a live football game, basketball game or any other athletic event for that matter. That is probably true. But I got news for you. A overwhelming majority of UNC fans aren't alumni either. Oh it's true a lot of UNC fans have attended athletic events in Chapel Hill but that's because there are about a gazillion or two living within driving distance of Chapel Hill and they still can't fill either The Dean Dome or Keenan Stadium.Ever thought why there are so many Tar Heel fans? I's because there's comfort in the majority and most of them like Heyman25 always says can't even tell you who's on the basketball team. Yes it is true I did not go to Duke. I did not graduate from Duke. I am not a Duke alumni but you better believe everything you got that I am a Dukie all the way threw to the bone. I'm not a bandwagon fan. Been a Dukie ever since I could understand the meaning of being a Duke fan. I'm proud to be in the minority and proud to be fellow fans with the group on this board who the majority have never been to Cameron or Wallace Wade Stadium who are still loyal and die-hard Dukies and always will be no matter what. I salute all of you. The best . One more thing. I welcome any Tar Heel fan to comment. OFC

I didn't attend school there either, but I've been to many basketball and football games (pre-Cutcliff days mind you), and I'm still as die hard as they come. I hardly doubt the majority of unc fans went to unc either, heck I have a hard time finding a fan that can even have a rational conversation about sports or even a fan that can tell you any of the players on the team but yet they still claim to be die hard carolina fans. 95% of their fan base is a joke and most never even watch them play, so tell them to piss off.

I posted something similar on a Duke face book group. I've been thinking about this a little. Seems to one of UNC nations favorite ploy is the fact that the overwhelming majority of Duke fans aren't alumni and many of us never have witnessed a live football game, basketball game or any other athletic event for that matter. That is probably true. But I got news for you. A overwhelming majority of UNC fans aren't alumni either. Oh it's true a lot of UNC fans have attended athletic events in Chapel Hill but that's because there are about a gazillion or two living within driving distance of Chapel Hill and they still can't fill either The Dean Dome or Keenan Stadium.Ever thought why there are so many Tar Heel fans? I's because there's comfort in the majority and most of them like Heyman25 always says can't even tell you who's on the basketball team. Yes it is true I did not go to Duke. I did not graduate from Duke. I am not a Duke alumni but you better believe everything you got that I am a Dukie all the way threw to the bone. I'm not a bandwagon fan. Been a Dukie ever since I could understand the meaning of being a Duke fan. I'm proud to be in the minority and proud to be fellow fans with the group on this board who the majority have never been to Cameron or Wallace Wade Stadium who are still loyal and die-hard Dukies and always will be no matter what. I salute all of you. The best . One more thing. I welcome any Tar Heel fan to comment. OFC

This is the argument they use when they have no argument.

It's a stupid argument on their part. UNC is no different than Duke when it comes fans who didn't attend the school. Part of the reason being.....both are national brands. They're not exclusive to just North Carolina. That's a good thing....not a bad thing.

Sure, in North Carolina there are more Tar Heel fans. They're the biggest public university in the state, and once again, they're a big time national brand. That helps their cause.

Again, the argument is just silly.

Yeah....I responded to that thread on THR....by the end of it I got band from the site. Go figure.

I am an alumni of Duke (Fuqua -- 1993). Someone said as a grad student I was not an alumni (idiotic).....I also worked at Duke for five years. But I was a fan of Duke way before I attended.

Then they asked if I was from NJ. I told them Texas.....then I pointed out that about 350 undergrads were from NJ at Duke (public record) and about 200 undergrads at UNC were from NJ (also public record). I also pointed out that NY had the second largest out of state population on UNC and NY is farther North then NJ.

Then I was told that because UNC was so much bigger then Duke the per capita (%) the number was significantly smaller. I then pointed out that scholarship athletic players at UNC only composed 2% of student body, but the AFAM had something somewhere in the 40% attendance. I asked them if I could make the same inference about per capita.....then I got whacked....go figure.

There was some mention of how many Duke players were taking classes from NCCU and I started to look into what that would take. Seems that Duke, UNC, NCSU, and NCCU all allow inter student participation. With Duke it requires the approval from academic adviser of dean. One course per semester given a student in good standing with an appropriate workload. I didn't get to respond...oh well.

Sky, it all goes back to the 'Carolina Way'. We've heard it all our lives here in NC. No one does it better, no one does it with more purity, no one is worthy to compare. Pure as the driven snow, but now that the cat is out of the bag...we all know what a load of BS it was (well, we knew before, this just makes it official). And now that they've been outed as cheaters...that means everyone does it too...but before...only Carolina was pure.

So looking down their noses (which is a bit of a slippery slope :cool:) they try to insinuate that just because they attended a college that hands out diplomas like a free clinic gives out antibiotics they're able to convince themselves of some type of superiority.

I haven't been to every state in the United States of America, but I'm still an American. I haven't attended Duke University, and don't claim to be a graduate, but I have been a loyal fan for 50 years. If any Heel fan doesn't like it, then they can GTHC, GTH!

OFC

Yeah....I responded to that thread on THR....by the end of it I got band from the site. Go figure.

I am an alumni of Duke (Fuqua -- 1993). Someone said as a grad student I was not an alumni (idiotic).....I also worked at Duke for five years. But I was a fan of Duke way before I attended.

Then they asked if I was from NJ. I told them Texas.....then I pointed out that about 350 undergrads were from NJ at Duke (public record) and about 200 undergrads at UNC were from NJ (also public record). I also pointed out that NY had the second largest out of state population on UNC and NY is farther North then NJ.

Then I was told that because UNC was so much bigger then Duke the per capita (%) the number was significantly smaller. I then pointed out that scholarship athletic players at UNC only composed 2% of student body, but the AFAM had something somewhere in the 40% attendance. I asked them if I could make the same inference about per capita.....then I got whacked....go figure.

There was some mention of how many Duke players were taking classes from NCCU and I started to look into what that would take. Seems that Duke, UNC, NCSU, and NCCU all allow inter student participation. With Duke it requires the approval from academic adviser of dean. One course per semester given a student in good standing with an appropriate workload. I didn't get to respond...oh well.

LT, I've seen many of your posts over at THR, and you conducted yourself admirably, and with respect toward THR. But a post can't be 99% favorable to the UNC establishment, it must be 100%. Anything less and it will not be tolerated.

OFC

To be perfectly honest, I love it when non-grads root for Duke because a majority of them do not. The Duke hate that ESPN had going for such a long time played a big part of that. Even in upstate New York I'm used to UNCheat fans, some UConn fans and the like. I rarely meet a non-grad that actually roots for Duke.

It's been pretty cool though because I have managed to get some people to come around because they realize that Duke just does things the right way, and then they get hooked. I blame my avid fandom for that too. I have friends that have never come close to an association with the school that now watch the basketball games religiously.

I'm pretty excited about anyone that wants to root for Duke (not the negative fans), especially people as knowledgeable as the posters on this board. The more the better in my opinion.

Last edited:
With Duke it requires the approval from academic adviser of dean. One course per semester given a student in good standing with an appropriate workload.
And the course can't be offered at Duke either. The most amazing part of all of that garbage is the fact that the idiots proclaiming Duke players take class at NCCU have absolutely zero proof that Duke players actually took class at NCCU. Just because they said it doesn't make it real.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Sky, it all goes back to the 'Carolina Way'. We've heard it all our lives here in NC. No one does it better, no one does it with more purity, no one is worthy to compare. Pure as the driven snow, but now that the cat is out of the bag...we all know what a load of BS it was (well, we knew before, this just makes it official). And now that they've been outed as cheaters...that means everyone does it too...but before...only Carolina was pure.

So looking down their noses (which is a bit of a slippery slope :cool:) they try to insinuate that just because they attended a college that hands out diplomas like a free clinic gives out antibiotics they're able to convince themselves of some type of superiority.

I haven't been to every state in the United States of America, but I'm still an American. I haven't attended Duke University, and don't claim to be a graduate, but I have been a loyal fan for 50 years. If any Heel fan doesn't like it, then they can GTHC, GTH!

OFC

You are correct my friend. There are Cowboy fans all over The United States that have never been to Dallas. I'm a Colt and Yankee fan but I wasn't born in Indy, Baltimore or NYC for that matter but you never here citizens of those great cities knocking the fans that aren't natives. Funny thing though only UNC fans that went to UNC are the only fans that point it out. I wonder if they feel that their fellow Tar Heel fans that didn't attend UNC aren't true UNC fans just the same way they feel about we non-alumni Duke fans. Now here's a twist for you. I have two friends that got their education at UNC because of factors beyond their control. They are both die-hard Duke fans. Go figure. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

You are all Duke LTDukeFan. OFC

Reactions: LTDukeFan
And the course can't be offered at Duke either. The most amazing part of all of that garbage is the fact that the idiots proclaiming Duke players take class at NCCU have absolutely zero proof that Duke players actually took class at NCCU. Just because they said it doesn't make it real.
...and it would be interesting to see if UNC players took any course at NCCU. Whatever...

LT, I've seen many of your posts over at THR, and you conducted yourself admirably, and with respect toward THR. But a post can't be 99% favorable to the UNC establishment, it must be 100%. Anything less and it will not be tolerated.

OFC
Thanks OADD -- Man I try to be polite.....but their site, their rules....I hope this cr@p is over soon. I do not think, this helps Duke in the long run. A strong rival creates a strong team.

Thanks OADD -- Man I try to be polite.....but their site, their rules....I hope this cr@p is over soon. I do not think, this helps Duke in the long run. A strong rival creates a strong team.

LT, I'm really torn. I too believe in the long run that a strong UNC is needed...not just for our rivalry, but because of the ACC conference, and it's ability to stay strong enough to survive all the upheaval in conference alignments. If the conference doesn't show stability (and UNC is a huge part of it) then we're all going to suffer.

On the other hand I can't but help to enjoy the suffering from the Heel faithful. I've (and many others) have had to put up with their superiority crap for so long. It will blow over...already would have if they weren't so smug about trying to retain that virginal white wedding gown purity that they've espoused over the years.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
LT, I'm really torn. I too believe in the long run that a strong UNC is needed...not just for our rivalry, but because of the ACC conference, and it's ability to stay strong enough to survive all the upheaval in conference alignments. If the conference doesn't show stability (and UNC is a huge part of it) then we're all going to suffer.

On the other hand I can't but help to enjoy the suffering from the Heel faithful. I've (and many others) have had to put up with their superiority crap for so long. It will blow over...already would have if they weren't so smug about trying to retain that virginal white wedding gown purity that they've espoused over the years.

OFC

I do agree about UNC' s program remaining strong for the rivalry but not for at least 6 or seven years. I want them to suffer for a while. We went through it during the late 60's and early 70's and the Tar Heel fans showed no mercy at all and stil wouldn't if things were reversed. OFC

Been going to Duke basketball, football and baseball games since the early 80"s. Didn't go there but have been a fan since the mid 60's. Never brought into the argument on whether or not you went to a certain school and still being a fan. I'm not from Wisconsin or New York but I like the Packers and Yankees. OFC

I'm one of two (maybe three) actual die hard Dukies in the town I live... I've put up with too much gruff over the past 10 years to not be as loud, in the local tavern, as humanly possible during Duke games. When you start talking smack about my Dukies, it just makes me love them even more. It's almost an enjoyment at this point to see all the hatred for our national champs.

For the record, I as well, did not graduate from Duke.

I'm also not a Duke grad but I have a lot of Family that live in the Ashboro area who are die-hard UNC fans. My Mom and my Uncle wanted to buck the trend and started rooting for Duke during the Vic Bubas Era. I've lived in Md my whole life except for the years I was away at school so it's not well received whenever I put up new Duke gear in my office as you can imagine. Whenever I get back down to visit family in Carolina, I love to get into with my cousins about the way the "rivalry" has turned on them over the past few years. Come to think of it I haven't been down there since before we won the title. Oooh the next visit will be a fun one!!

Not a Duke grad-HPC, now HPU. However, Duke fan since the early 60's. Went to Duke games when you could buy tickets at the window on game night. Became a real Tarhole hater when I went to work for a NC newspaper in 1969. Almost all the newsroom people were UNC grads-they had the only J school in the state at that time. By the way, I just got through watching "I hate Christian Laettner". Brought back memories of watching him when I covered Duke games for the paper. Too bad great players don't stay for four years anymore.

They just seem to be so gutless when it comes to the genuine conversations they are willing to have, despite how cordial you are. They don't handle things well that run contrary to their fabricated reality.

It's a stupid argument on their part. UNC is no different than Duke when it comes fans who didn't attend the school. Part of the reason being.....both are national brands. They're not exclusive to just North Carolina. That's a good thing....not a bad thing.

Sure, in North Carolina there are more Tar Heel fans. They're the biggest public university in the state, and once again, they're a big time national brand. That helps their cause.

Yep. Heck , what about PRO teams? Are ya allowed to pull for , say , the Panthers if ya never suited up for 'em? It's the same argument. Basically , unx fans are suggesting ya have to have some kinda personal tie to the school to actually be a fan. Idiotic. My father is a Duke grad. His sister worked in the Divinity dept there for a hundred years. I have business ties to the the school. I can't be a fan? And , yeah , the vast majority of unx fans not only didn't attend the school , they've never attended a game there of any kind. I've lived in NC all my life. Very few of 'em have any sorta attachment to unx beyond a hat and/or a t-shirt. One way to spot a hole fan who never went to unx? He/she doesn't care about how dirty they are. If they were actual alums , they'd be pizzed that the school has made their alma mater a national laughingstock and cheapened their degrees in the name of winning ballgames. I've yet to meet one in the last 4+ years who gave a damn and I live in Charlotte...Tarhole Central.

Yep. Heck , what about PRO teams? Are ya allowed to pull for , say , the Panthers if ya never suited up for 'em? It's the same argument. Basically , unx fans are suggesting ya have to have some kinda personal tie to the school to actually be a fan. Idiotic. My father is a Duke grad. His sister worked in the Divinity dept there for a hundred years. I have business ties to the the school. I can't be a fan? And , yeah , the vast majority of unx fans not only didn't attend the school , they've never attended a game there of any kind. I've lived in NC all my life. Very few of 'em have any sorta attachment to unx beyond a hat and/or a t-shirt. One way to spot a hole fan who never went to unx? He/she doesn't care about how dirty they are. If they were actual alums , they'd be pizzed that the school has made their alma mater a national laughingstock and cheapened their degrees in the name of winning ballgames. I've yet to meet one in the last 4+ years who gave a damn and I live in Charlotte...Tarhole Central.

It's like you are born in N.C. and you're not a Panther or a Hornet fan. Let's get real folks. OFC

When I was a kid, I told my mom that I hated UNC, she told me that hate was such a strong word and not have hatred in my heart, I said you're right mom but lying is wrong also, so I'd rather be honest and admit I hate UNC than lie and still hate UNC, then I'd have two wrongs to deal with.

When I was a kid, I told my mom that I hated UNC, she told me that hate was such a strong word and not have hatred in my heart, I said you're right mom but lying is wrong also, so I'd rather be honest and admit I hate UNC than lie and still hate UNC, then I'd have two wrongs to deal with.

Now that's some good sound reasoning, Crazie4...as Spock would say, "It's only logical".

OFC

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE

Actually NC State is the largest Public University in North Carolina. They have 24,000 undergrads vs 18,000 for UNC.

When I wear my Duke shirts & or Visors up here in Ohio (which is year around), people always ask me if I am a Duke graduate, and I say no I'm not. When they ask me why I wear Duke gear, I tell them it's because I have been a Duke fan for years and I will "die" a Duke fan!!
I also tell them that if they would like the see College BB at the "purest level" before it is gone, they need to watch Duke play.
I eat, sleep, and breathe Duke year around, and as I have said before, most of me is here, but my heart resides in Durham, N.C.!!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

My father became a Duke fan as I was becoming a Duke fan. He's a big fan of K having been an army guy (not West Point) and based on the very few times we've interacted with K. He and my mother met at the University of Florida so I was raised with Gator Football. He was especially excited to be a Duke fan because he needed a "basketball school". When the Gators went back-to-back in basketball he informed me I was no longer useful to the family, haha.

I now take great delight in pointing out how good our basketball team is, and how our football team has been better than his. I believe he has now be similarly rendered useless to the family. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT