Jun 21, 2012
Glendale, AZ
Starting five would be..?
Duval (lock)
Allen (lock)
Trent
Carter (lock)
Vrank?
I think in this case Trent is a lock as well with his transition and D.

If Bolden don't start I see Duke starting Javin and Carter then the rest of the line up mentioned above.

I just have the feeling Bolden getting cut and the tweets motivates him

Not getting any playing time after his injury hurt Bolden mentally. It's hard sitting on the bench for an entire season then becoming great. He's rusty because he didn't play at all last year. He will be better this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vrank start because Coach K loves his veterans who learn to play defense the right way. Having said that, recent history tells us Coach K will go small when there aren't 2 dominant big guys. Should be some really good competition!

Bolden starts...

IF he proves himself, and only IF. I don't think anyone is guaranteed playing time.

I want to see this young man come out and have a great sophomore campaign, and I believe that he will. I suspect K and staff convinced him that coming back to Duke was the best option for his career path given his performance last year. Entering the draft was dicey, and if he transferred he would sit a year.

Come on out and show us what you've got Mr. Bolden!!!!

IF he proves himself, and only IF. I don't think anyone is guaranteed playing time.

I want to see this young man come out and have a great sophomore campaign, and I believe that he will. I suspect K and staff convinced him that coming back to Duke was the best option for his career path given his performance last year. Entering the draft was dicey, and if he transferred he would sit a year.

Come on out and show us what you've got Mr. Bolden!!!!

The ball's in his court. OFC

Bolden has time to heal and get in shape. It all depends on him and just how bad he wants to be a great player. It's not easy playing for Duke and the transfers we've had over the years reflect that. All of them know what the deal is when they come to Duke,the transfers knew it ,this years recruiting class knows it, next years recruiting class know it and Bolden knows it. That's just the way it is. We watch these games year after year and just can't figure out why so and so isn't playing his share of minutes we think he should. I do it. We all do it and that's fine but we are just watching the games. That's all we are really doing, watching the games and we see things we think that need to be changed but most of the time Coach K and staff just won't listen to us. It will be the same this year and that's a big part of being a Duke fan. We aren't going to get fired for our opinion, banned maybe but not fired. Coaches get fired for their decisions and so far Coach K has hung on for what is it 36 years now? I can't wait for all of our recliner coaching this year and the game day thread. We have some great color guys, play by play, analyst and some gurus on that thread. :) OFC

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Vrank start because Coach K loves his veterans who learn to play defense the right way. Having said that, recent history tells us Coach K will go small when there aren't 2 dominant big guys. Should be some really good competition!

Vrank will get his "call up" as a senior, or if and only if Bolden is injured.

Duke will have great practices next year. Vrank/Bolden, Javin/Carter, and Jack/Tucker...

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think the only lock to start of the bigs is Carter. I also feel playing time for Bolden, Vrank and Javin will depend on production on both ends of the court.

Look at what's looming at the 3 as well. Trent starts but does Jack Jordan T come in as the sub?

The back court duo of Grayson and Tre better be healthy and log lots of minutes bc who comes in of Alex or Jordan W? Trent can slide to the 2 but again it raises the question of then Jordan T or Jack at the 3

I think the only lock to start of the bigs is Carter. I also feel playing time for Bolden, Vrank and Javin will depend on production on both ends of the court.

Look at what's looming at the 3 as well. Trent starts but does Jack Jordan T come in as the sub?

The back court duo of Grayson and Tre better be healthy and log lots of minutes bc who comes in of Alex or Jordan W? Trent can slide to the 2 but again it raises the question of then Jordan T or Jack at the 3

Certain Freshmen last year thought they were a lock too. Things happen!

Not getting any playing time after his injury hurt Bolden mentally. It's hard sitting on the bench for an entire season then becoming great. He's rusty because he didn't play at all last year. He will be better this year.

There's no reason he should be rusty. None. A few extra minutes per game wouldn't have helped, if what you're saying is true.

I kind of suspect Marques will start next season. The job is there for him if he wants it. In all honesty, I think it's up to Marques more than it's up to K. If he can help the team he's going to play.

I think he starts. Or should start.. if not idk what's up

Why "should" he start? Please explain why

Because he was a top 20 high school player? Because he looks like a college center?

He will start IF he earns it period....nothing is given to anyone

Because he was a top 20 high school player? Because he looks like a college center?

My first answer would have to be because he didn't return to Duke to ride the bench again.

I think he should start all indications were that he was a starter prior to the injury. I also think with all these bigs on Dukes bench atleast two could start. If not Duke goes small and Bolden, Javin and Big V haven't shown any improvement which is hard to see happening. Carter is a starter.

if not it's small ball again, which we really don't need to play this year. That or Vrank just beats him out, he was much more fundamentally sound than Bolden last year.

I don't think Coach will go with the small ball with this group. There isn't the Tatum, Ingram, Winslow etc. stretch 4 on the roster. Tucker is closest physically, but he won't be ready to contribute at that level yet. Javin is going to help this team a lot, but he isn't a face-up, spread the floor guy.

Reactions: dukephysics
It must be June and there's nothing else to discuss. Bolden will start, Bolden will be dominant, Bolden will be a lottery pick next year.

Reactions: christophero
It must be June and there's nothing else to discuss. Bolden will start, Bolden will be dominant, Bolden will be a lottery pick next year.

I agree with one of the three....I think he will start. I just don't see dominance with him because I don't think he's even our best big. As for the lottery pick, it's certainly possible....he has all the measureables, now he needs to prove he has all the tools. I sure hope he does.

Reactions: skysdad and tw3301
I agree with one of the three....I think he will start. I just don't see dominance with him because I don't think he's even our best big. As for the lottery pick, it's certainly possible....he has all the measureables, now he needs to prove he has all the tools. I sure hope he does.

He has all the tools. he just needs to use them. OFC

Bolden was considered a one and done before last season. He was playing well before the injury last year in practice. I believe he starts next year.

Reactions: hart2chesson

Because he's a freak and talented is why lol

Because he's a freak and talented is why lol

Freak? Really?

Does the fact he played lazy last year have anything to do with it? In sure in your mind it don't

I hope he turns into a stud and averages 20 & 10 but I'll wait and see on that

I will say if he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and plays hard then yes he will probably start...if he looks lazy and not into it like last year IMO then he shouldn't

Balls in his court now...let's see what he does with it

Freak? Really?

Does the fact he played lazy last year have anything to do with it? In sure in your mind it don't

I hope he turns into a stud and averages 20 & 10 but I'll wait and see on that

I will say if he comes out with a chip on his shoulder and plays hard then yes he will probably start...if he looks lazy and not into it like last year IMO then he shouldn't

Balls in his court now...let's see what he does with it

You don't believe his measurements are off the chart?? That's what I mean when I say freak. He has all the tools to be dominate but does he have the drive and heart? If he doesn't show it this year he has seriously hurt his future. That's what I mean

Not sure if this was before or after the U-19... but working hard this offseason.... and how about those 3s maybe he takes 1 or 2 a game???? Maybe not??

I don't think he needs to start. He just needs to play and not get yanked every mistake He makes. He needs some time to develop some confidence and it won't happen playing 3-4 minute spurts.

End of June and we're talking transfer already......uggghhh

To be fair almost every guy that we've guessed or heard rumors to transfer has transferred. Semi, chase, Gbinjie, Thornton the list goes on and on. It definitely has a chance at happening

Bolden has time to heal and get in shape. It all depends on him and just how bad he wants to be a great player. It's not easy playing for Duke and the transfers we've had over the years reflect that. All of them know what the deal is when they come to Duke,the transfers knew it ,this years recruiting class knows it, next years recruiting class know it and Bolden knows it. That's just the way it is. We watch these games year after year and just can't figure out why so and so isn't playing his share of minutes we think he should. I do it. We all do it and that's fine but we are just watching the games. That's all we are really doing, watching the games and we see things we think that need to be changed but most of the time Coach K and staff just won't listen to us. It will be the same this year and that's a big part of being a Duke fan. We aren't going to get fired for our opinion, banned maybe but not fired. Coaches get fired for their decisions and so far Coach K has hung on for what is it 36 years now? I can't wait for all of our recliner coaching this year and the game day thread. We have some great color guys, play by play, analyst and some gurus on that thread. :) OFC
Disagree. I had no complaints or fan demands if you want to call it in 2015. No1 does when ur winning. I knew early we were going to win it all..We start seeing the same kinda stuff from me included here like last year I think things arnt going as planned and we're in trouble again. Imo we'll be able to tell pretty early what this teams going to do just like in 15. Can't wait..I'll say this also hell start or things arnt going as planned lmao

I don't think he needs to start. He just needs to play and not get yanked every mistake He makes. He needs some time to develop some confidence and it won't happen playing 3-4 minute spurts.

To be fair almost every guy that we've guessed or heard rumors to transfer has transferred. Semi, chase, Gbinjie, Thornton the list goes on and on. It definitely has a chance at happening
Agreed! Had that not happened to frank early also. I think we would have made it further

He also needs to play hard while on the floor unlike last year IMO

this is a 2 way street

Sure, but do we need to be speculating in June?

stretch 5 baby.
I like it, it's the new age big man. If you can't at least be a threat to knock down a jumper you're not going to make any sort of impact in the league. Hopefully he's working his ass off this off season. He has the potential to have a really nice year next to Carter.

Bolden like Jeter came back to try to make to the NBA after his Sophomore year. Jeter transferred because wasn't playing much his Sophomore year and saw the writing on the wall.

Bolden I believe will do well next year starting alongside Carter Jr. Having a true point guard in Duval that gets in the paint will give Bolden easy buckets and having Carter Jr playing the four will allow him to concentrate on shot blocking and altering shots which he was good at last year.

Last year we didn't have a point guard we had four isolation players on the perimeter.

Bolden has some touch on offense and has decent feet. What I want to see is some endurance and toughness. Soft bigs don't get a long leash under K. It's time to let the emotion out, Ques.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT