ADVERTISEMENT

If Bolden is off the bench early...

Not sure if this was before or after the U-19... but working hard this offseason.... and how about those 3s maybe he takes 1 or 2 a game???? Maybe not??

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see this translate to the game, but I've seen way too many practice videos of big men hitting threes only to not even attempt them during actual competition. Hell, here's a video of Dwight Howard shooting threes in practice:

Maybe we'll see his practice translate into some midrange attempts this season though!

Player Development of the Big Man is essential to their success. I rather for Dwight and other bigs learn to post, shot block, shot fake, jump hooks, dunk with authority, hit free throws, and play with an attitude.

There is too much giving in to a 3pt shot and not development!

Oak is the closest to an authentic Big, but his maturity and short term development has held him back.

Player Development of the Big Man is essential to their success. I rather for Dwight and other bigs learn to post, shot block, shot fake, jump hooks, dunk with authority, hit free throws, and play with an attitude.

There is too much giving in to a 3pt shot and not development!

Oak is the closest to an authentic Big, but his maturity and short term development has held him back.

When was the last time you watched an NBA game?

Bolden is going to be fine. I believe Coach K will make him and Grayson the 1st options. Nate, Jeff, Nolan and Jon should reinforce to him their experiences with the Bigs they played with, Parks, Boozer, Plumlees and Zou. What made those guys effective and it translate to wins!

When was the last time you watched an NBA game?

Drummond, Boogie, Jonas, Jukic, Vecevic, Marc Gasol, Nurkic, and one or two others are traditional Bigs...

Their games are not sexy, but they will command max deals.

Here is the real issue, outside of Drummond they also hit free throws. Also, none depend on the pick and roll to score!

Last edited:
The mid range game is another option. Hakeem and Timmy made a lifetime from it.

Enes Kanter, Big Cole, Mason, and even Z-Bo...

There is money and opportunity for Bolden. Work hard Big Fella!!!

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see this translate to the game, but I've seen way too many practice videos of big men hitting threes only to not even attempt them during actual competition. Hell, here's a video of Dwight Howard shooting threes in practice:

Maybe we'll see his practice translate into some midrange attempts this season though!

trust me I don't think he takes 3s at all this year... what I do like in the video is the 10-12 foot jumper he is hitting (yes I know a lack of defense in these videos helps)... if he could hit those consistently (vrank as well) that opens the lane up big time for Grayson, Trevon and Trent.

Bolden shot isn't ugly at all and it looks like he has a soft touch, especially on the baby hook shots

Bolden has a long way to go. He has to play with confidence, last season , he had none. His biggest hurdle will be hustle. He plays a little soft and lazy, wipe that away and we've got something. I'm a lot more confident in Wendell that i am Marques right now.

Bolden has a long way to go. He has to play with confidence, last season , he had none. His biggest hurdle will be hustle. He plays a little soft and lazy, wipe that away and we've got something. I'm a lot more confident in Wendell that i am Marques right now.

Oh wow... I hope you r not right...

Reactions: christophero
Give me a big man with a mid-range jumper all day long over a three point threat, twice on Sunday! I thought it was one of the promising things we saw from Giles last year on a few occasions......turn and face 12 feet out and bang the shot!

Alan

Give me a big man with a mid-range jumper all day long over a three point threat, twice on Sunday! I thought it was one of the promising things we saw from Giles last year on a few occasions......turn and face 12 feet out and bang the shot!

Alan

When Lance Thomas started to knock down the elbow jumper the last part of his Senior year that help Duke when the championship. In contrast Amile Jefferson's in ability to hit a jump shot of any type hurt Duke last year. He was relegated being an undersized center in a small forwards body.

Bolden will do well next year.

Duke should have bigs who can hit jumpers in Carter and Javin. Those guys should play the 4. Duke needs bigs who can do their work in the paint and that "should" be Bolden and Vrank.

No doubt there are a lot of question marks with Bolden and rightfully so. For Duke to be successful, Bolden has to be good; not great, but good.

I would love for Bolden to have a breakout year and then when we make the Final Four walk around in a "how do you like them apples?" shirt. :)

Reactions: DukeDenver
Any of you stood right next to Marques? I did in Greensboro last year, and I was a little worried he was going to step on me like a bug. The only thing keeping him from being really good at basketball is his mindset. His measurables are the best in Duke history. He could really control the paint if he learns to use that insane standing reach and plays under control when the lights come on. Coach Smith needs to help him find his "switch."

ADVERTISEMENT