ADVERTISEMENT

How soon we seem to forget

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Duke players that weren't one and done , all americans or spent a solid career in the NBA but added a great deal to the success of the program. I would like to acknowledge Ryan Kelly to start it off. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Even though he is right in our midst, I would say we still tend to overlook Nate James.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Jon Scheyer

Jon was a concenus 2nd team all american in 2010. Looking for Duke players that were not one and dones, all americans or spent a good deal of time in the NBA. Looking for Duke players that were none of these but really added a lot to the success of Duke basketball. If we keep getting all americans or one and dones it defeats the purpose of the thread's opening post. OFC

Reactions: timo0402
Duke players that weren't one and done , all americans or spent a solid career in the NBA but added a great deal to the success of the program. I would like to acknowledge Ryan Kelly to start. OFC

Hey posters please read the opening post on this thread before naming a Duke player. OFC

Reactions: timo0402
To be fair @skysdad it’s hard for people to remember anyone who wasn’t an AA. When you think back, it’s difficult. That’s how good of a thread this is.

To be fair @skysdad it’s hard for people to remember anyone who wasn’t an AA. When you think back, it’s difficult. That’s how good of a thread this is.

If there's a question just look it up or I can just change the thread and just list great Duke players. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Zoubek is the most recent example for me. We don't win the national championship without him in 2010. He really had that light bulb moment where it all came together for him.

Daniel Ewing was one of the most underrated players we had in the 2000s. He was in the shadow of other players all four seasons he was here.

Jim Suddath! He was very talented, and perhaps a HS All American. I don't know. He was involved in a lot of close losses, but he always gave tremendous effort and seemed to enjoy playing. He once blocked a shot and hit his head hard on the backboard

Reactions: hart2chesson
I just googled Jim Suddath. He never averaged more than 13 minutes per game. I thought that he played about 25mpg in 1980

hart2chesson said David Henderson. It's worth repeating the name David Henderson. He definitely tops this list. UNC signed All American Curtis Hunter from Durham. He was touted as the next Michael Jordan. David Henderson was a better athlete, a harder worker, and a better basketball player. I'm a UNC fan. I laughed when Krzyzewski was hired. It was obvious in November 1982 that Duke had the better player. And I was no longer laughing. Most importantly, he was from North Carolina. Amaker, Dawkins, Alarie and Bilas were from out of state. Coach Krzyzewski said that Henderson was the most important recruit. He is correct. Just for hart2chesson, the leaders of the Duke football team need to come from small towns in North Carolina. You can sign a hotshot QB from California, but sustained success depends on local talent. Duke is either the first or second most popular team with high school athletes in North Carolina. Zion Williamson is as popular as Michael Jordan 35 years ago. If Duke had a coach who could capitalize on the popularity of the basketball program rather than harkening back to the Mannings, then Duke would be in the top 30 every year

hart2chesson said David Henderson. It's worth repeating the name David Henderson. He definitely tops this list. UNC signed All American Curtis Hunter from Durham. He was touted as the next Michael Jordan. David Henderson was a better athlete, a harder worker, and a better basketball player. I'm a UNC fan. I laughed when Krzyzewski was hired. It was obvious in November 1982 that Duke had the better player. And I was no longer laughing. Most importantly, he was from North Carolina. Amaker, Dawkins, Alarie and Bilas were from out of state. Coach Krzyzewski said that Henderson was the most important recruit. He is correct. Just for hart2chesson, the leaders of the Duke football team need to come from small towns in North Carolina. You can sign a hotshot QB from California, but sustained success depends on local talent. Duke is either the first or second most popular team with high school athletes in North Carolina. Zion Williamson is as popular as Michael Jordan 35 years ago. If Duke had a coach who could capitalize on the popularity of the basketball program rather than harkening back to the Mannings, then Duke would be in the top 30 every year

Thanks Ged. A lot of people especially heel fans disagree with me on this but I think the most important recruit dean smith ever signed was charlie scott. After scott the players just started rolling in. Was happy to see him gone. OFC

Great post. Thanks for the shout and the realistic take on David Henderson. I have had the pleasure of meeting him in person, and hes just as genuine as can be. Jim Suddath ("Sudds") as well.Sudds probably got his biggest break in '81. Duke didnt make the Big Dance and went to the NIT instead. Gene Banks unfortunately broke his wrist vs NC A&T in Cameron. Everyone thought Duke was dead in the water vs Alabama, but Suddath started and scored around 20 pts.

Per the take on football ged, I am in complete agreement. We definitely need to link the success of the hoops program anyway we can to help football recruiting. Cut had better do something!

OFC

Thanks, skysdad! You are probably correct! I idolized Charlie Scott. My older brother felt even more passionately about Larry Miller. Bob Lewis from D.C. and Rusty Clark from Fayetteville formed the rest of the foundation. For Coach Krzyzewski, it was Amaker, Dawkins, Alarie and most importantly, David Henderson. After building the foundation, it was relatively easy for both Coach Smith and Coach Krzyzewski

Great post about Demarcus Nelson! Perhaps Nolan Smith was too highly regarded for this thread. I had the great honor of meeting his father, Derek Smith, when he was the defensive spoiler for the Celtics. May of 1991 I think

Marty Clark. With all the studs on the 91 team, that team also had 4 guys in this category: Ckark, Koubek, Lang, and Davis.

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT