ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson must embrace the hate!!!

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
I have heard this expression tossed out quite a bit "EMBRACE THE HATE," also known as Laettner didnt care, he just won!!! I really think Grayson needs to have a tune it out or shrug it off mindset rest of year....

I just do not know if he's equipped with that mindset. Hey its TOUGH to acquire for a college kid....He made some magnificent passes the other nite, although I think hes been told to look for his shot less. I have noticed his FT shooting has slipped a bit lately too....

The media CONTINUES to pile on, and I just hope this bunch somehow tightens like THE FIST K has talked about in a "Duke against the world" mindset rest of year....Guys here's the link to another one joining the party today, basically taking issue w/FSU coach who called it a good "hustle play." Hope Grayson and the guys can use their play on the court to shut some of these folks up!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-allen-dirty-play-tripping-shoving-/96466496/

OFC

This is just ridiculous. People love to find anything they can to destroy people. Modern day media is just horrible. Athletes that got caught out for domestic violence havent even had this type of hatred thrown at them.

This is just ridiculous. People love to find anything they can to destroy people. Modern day media is just horrible. Athletes that got caught out for domestic violence havent even had this type of hatred thrown at them.

SO TRUE!!!!!

OFC

I can no longer support Allen in good conscience. Did you see this?

C17Y3PNUkAASHOx.jpg

I have heard this expression tossed out quite a bit "EMBRACE THE HATE," also known as Laettner didnt care, he just won!!! I really think Grayson needs to have a tune it out or shrug it off mindset rest of year....

I just do not know if he's equipped with that mindset. Hey its TOUGH to acquire for a college kid....He made some magnificent passes the other nite, although I think hes been told to look for his shot less. I have noticed his FT shooting has slipped a bit lately too....

The media CONTINUES to pile on, and I just hope this bunch somehow tightens like THE FIST K has talked about in a "Duke against the world" mindset rest of year....Guys here's the link to another one joining the party today, basically taking issue w/FSU coach who called it a good "hustle play." Hope Grayson and the guys can use their play on the court to shut some of these folks up!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-allen-dirty-play-tripping-shoving-/96466496/

OFC

Laettner seemed to feed off the hate and so did JJ and Singler. The thing is Grayson's incidents were repeats and like a poster said on a thread a while back he had a monkey on his back but now it is a gorilla. I'm not defending him at all but enough is enough. The kid can't even walk on the court and if he's close to an opposing player that falls then Grayon's guilty. The sports casters that are looking for anything need to lighten up and do their jobs with some integrity also. I appreciate those who have done so and Seth Greenburg is one of them. I also appreciate the FSU coach for his comments also but the bottom line it's Duke and that's what a lot of this crap is about and shame on those who are throwing those stones at Duke and Grayson. OFC

I can no longer support Allen in good conscience. Did you see this?

C17Y3PNUkAASHOx.jpg
Really? You post a still photo showing that Grayson's and the other player's feet are near each other while they're both going after a loose ball to say that you can no longer support him in good conscience?

Reactions: dbav
Laettner didn't have to deal with social media and the type of media climate athletes are under today.
Or message boards and the trolls that use it as a platform. It is pretty incredible though how they salivate over this stuff. Like you'd actually think he killed their dog or something. They can't stop talking about it- but then won't admit that if it wasn't Duke, it wouldn't matter to them.

I think the problem is everyone is looking at the feet of the 2 players. The gun in the hand is just making fun of the absurdity of how out of control this whole ordeal has become.

But back to the pic...of the feet being entangled. That's why this crap probably isn't ever going to blow over because if you take a picture of 2 or more players around the ball feet are always going to be getting wrapped up around one another...and of course that means the media is going to portray Grayson trying to trip someone every single time. It's a difficult situation, that he brought on himself, but has been supercharged by hatred for Duke, K, Grayson, etc.

OFC

Duke basketball is just different. They're the face of college basketball, and almost everyone has an opinion of them, whether you love or hate them. In a recent interview, Stephen Schramm who writes for the Fayetteville Observer compared this circumstance to the Tyler Lewis situation a few years ago. The Crazies were chanting "past your bed time," as they often do to smaller players at night games, and somehow it was turned into "how's your grandma?" For the most part, people will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear when it comes to Duke.

Laettner didn't have to deal with social media and the type of media climate athletes are under today.

And Grayson's dealing with a lot more hate. Yes it was self inflicted but it needs to be put to rest and give the boy a chance to get it right without every thing he does be looked at as if he's a basketball criminal. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Real funny GAAP, until some UNC or UK fan drives to Durham with an AK and tries to make a citizens arrest.
Not my work. I stole the pic from another site. We all know the only person who could come up with something better than that. A true master. The amazingly talented Duke fan named...?

Duke basketball is just different. They're the face of college basketball, and almost everyone has an opinion of them, whether you love or hate them. In a recent interview, Stephen Schramm who writes for the Fayetteville Observer compared this circumstance to the Tyler Lewis situation a few years ago. The Crazies were chanting "past your bed time," as they often do to smaller players at night games, and somehow it was turned into "how's your grandma?" For the most part, people will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear when it comes to Duke.

Its true...Theres no in-between - we're kind of like the New York Yankees of college hoops....When the spin is negative its REALLY NEGATIVE....Grayson is a high profile player on IMO the highest profile program in college hoops...Hes a magnet for this coverage rest of year unfortunately....Thats why I hope he can feed off it in a sense and play inspired ball.

OFC

Reactions: Baller224
And Grayson's dealing with a lot more hate. Yes it was self inflicted but it needs to be put to rest and give the boy a chance to get it right without every thing he does be looked at as if he's a basketball criminal. OFC
I am 58 years old and cannot recall a more worrisome innovation than social media. It could literally be the beginning of the end. We're doomed, I tell you. Doomed!!!

Well dang, I totally didn't see that the first time I saw the pic. I just assumed that it was another case where someone was trying to imply he tried to trip the player.

Nah, PJ would have a Glock, an iceberg mouthpiece and a pin joint in his mouth.

And Roy's only punishment would be EXTRA RUNNING, and he would be allowed to practice, sit on bench, while awaiting NCAA ruling. Roy would not suspend him from team, but ESPNC would not question Roy.....

OFC

PTI(a show I like) on ESPN has a picture of Grayson on set, to me that isn't right as he's a college kid. I'd like to see how these "media" members would react if their college aged kids were torn apart on television.

I recall a few years back Mark May demanding Jameis Winston be expelled yet May had been arrested three times at an older age of Winston. Hypocrites, all of them!

Grayson isn't wired to handle the hate, Laettner & JJ didn't have to deal with social media so its worse today IMO.

PTI(a show I like) on ESPN has a picture of Grayson on set, to me that isn't right as he's a college kid. I'd like to see how these "media" members would react if their college aged kids were torn apart on television.

A radio host on one of the Detroit sports talk stations said the other day that he hopes Grayson gets clocked in the face the next time he tries something "dirty" during a game. This came after he said there have been "about a dozen" instances of Grayson tripping people. The media is the worst, and people are idiots.

Well, unfortunately, I do think Grayson is going to have to embrace the hate. It's reality.

I agree that Christian and J.J. fed off it. I also agree they didn't have as much thrown their way. At the same time, the hate for Grayson is somewhat understandable. He's created it himself. Has the media attention in some respects been over-the-top? Of course it has. But that's not changing. We can sit here and complain but it gets us nowhere.

The big question over the next two months is going to be how tough Grayson can be mentally. He's facing a monumental challenge because it's never, ever going away. Whether fair or not is another argument. Reality, in this regard, trumps everything else. I'm pulling the young man, but I'd be lying to everyone here if I didn't have my doubts. Grayson needs a UNLV kind of game. He needs some mojo to restore confidence in himself.

Sticky situation. You would hope the media would be fair, especially with non-professional players, but that assumes we have fair media in this country. Those days are long gone. All the media cares about are clicks, the truth be damned. ESPN is probably the worst of all supposed media companies. They all want to be TMZ.

That being said, he has brought all of this on himself with his own actions. There is nothing at all wrong with what happened on the bench at FSU, and he is being unfairly criticized for that; but with his history we are going to get slow-motion clips any time he farts. That clip lasts almost 6-seconds in slow-motion for a play that took about a quarter of a second live. And now our own coach is getting criticized for defending him because it doesn't fit their narrative. Sad, but the world we live in today.

While I agree there was nothing in the FSU game, what happened at the BC game looked mighty suspicious to me. However, if I was a Duke coach or fan, I would be much more concerned with his melt-down on the bench after his tripping incident that lead to his suspension than the action itself. That looked like somebody with issues to me that needs to be addressed. K can't be totally blameless in this either. He should have gotten his attention after two trips last year and gotten him professional help if that is needed. I have no doubts he tried, and probably even thought he had gotten through to him last year, but obviously he hasn't. That just invites criticism over a 1-game suspension, fair or not. Its the world we live in today with no real media and social media taking its place.

Modern day media is what the tabloids used to be. The fringe reporting type stuff is now considered main stream and is very harmful.

The way they watch Grayson if he were a criminal and cut the tag out of his mattress he would be arrested. That's a shame. OFC

Saw a very interesting piece on ESPN 2 I believe and to my shock I heard Stephen A Smith somewhat support Grayson, JJ and Laettner. He stated that Grayson was being unjustly raked over the coals to much. The only reason that he was facing so much controversy was because he was White and could ball and those type of players will always be disliked. That's just how it is. I was truly floored by his statements and went on to use some of the same examples that has been used here in regards to what other kids and pro players have done and have not faced near as much negative press and coverage as Grayson.He still thought that Grayson should have been suspended longer than he was but he made some comments that made sense.

What was the total suspension time for multiple offenders Draymond "Watch Your Jewels" Green and Adam "The Eye Poker" Woodbury?

Reactions: hart2chesson
What was the total suspension time for multiple offenders Draymond "Watch Your Jewels" Green and Adam "The Eye Poker" Woodbury?
Draymond got one game. I believe Woodbury got the same. Draymond got one game after 3 or 4 instances in about a month/month and a half. The type of attention Allen has received on this is unprecedented with the type of fouls he has made. (he is wrong for doing what he did, so I am not giving Allen a pass here.) This is the Duke white kid factor. I am not sure how that can even be debated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT