ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite THR Quotes....

We've had numerous starting freshman historically- Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daughtery, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Antawn Jamison, Joe Forte, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Bobby Frasor, John Henson, Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, Justin Jackson, etc. Not sure about Marcus I'll have to check that out.

The point is, and Roy recently talked about this, talent is talent and if it's good enough that player is going to start. But he likes his upperclassmen and I have to respect that as well. And no I don't like Luke is going to average 18 and 10 the rest of the way, but I do think he will continue to play well due to his versatility.

As for our record this year, who knows. I'm gonna say 12-6 but we'll get a good feeling once conference play starts.

And as for recruiting, I don't know if you've noticed but we have the fifth best player coming in next year as well as Coby White, who is also top 25, and Rechon Black who is a solid 4 star. The real issue will be trying to recruit elite big men.
Majority of the players you mentioned a
Played over ten years ago.Justin Jackson was rated higher than Little and still stayed three years.If your infinitely more complex system holds him back what is the chance you will get more top ten talent.Btw White and Black are not as good as the two players you are losing this year

Lol that list is about as lengthy as our starting freshman...for the last 3 years. Not impressive.

You guys have your way of building a team and we have ours, both ways can work, obviously. Luke Bird Maye is gonna be in for a rude awakening once conference play starts, he just shouldn't be the "go-to guy" on a good team. You guys can make a lot of threes though, so wouldn't be shocked if you play us tight at your place. Zion ain't coming to UNC and he would start if he came.
He has already started to come back to earth in his last couple of games and still had not faced top level competition yet.Look Maye is not the typical pos Tarheel but he has serious athletic limitations when compared to ACC level players.I love the fact that Unc is depending on him to this extent because it is a good thing for Duke fans

If Zion were to choose UNC and Roy didn’t start him, that would absolutely destroy any chance he has going forward of landing a Top 10 kid.

Lol that list is about as lengthy as our starting freshman...for the last 3 years. Not impressive.

You guys have your way of building a team and we have ours, both ways can work, obviously. Luke Bird Maye is gonna be in for a rude awakening once conference play starts, he just shouldn't be the "go-to guy" on a good team. You guys can make a lot of threes though, so wouldn't be shocked if you play us tight at your place. Zion ain't coming to UNC and he would start if he came.

I don’t believe Zion is coming to UNC either but that’s not what I’m talking about.

It’s true you guys have had the lions share of OADs that go to the nba every year but other than 2015 when it came together for you guys, has it not produced some inconsistent results that were not typical of the program before? Early round exits and only one final four appearance? And believe me, I get frustrated with Roy a lot for some his stubborn tendencies, but I do believe that the OAD method is unpredictable. Do I want more potential NBA all stars? Yeah and I’m sick of those in my own fanbase who shun them for the sake of the “system”. But I understand the argument of not relying on them all the time either.

Majority of the players you mentioned a
Played over ten years ago.Justin Jackson was rated higher than Little and still stayed three years.If your infinitely more complex system holds him back what is the chance you will get more top ten talent.Btw White and Black are not as good as the two players you are losing this year

Little is higher than Jackson, I don’t know which rankings you’re looking at.

White and Black will not be as good as senior JB and Theo but they have very high ceilings. Plus Jalek will have a year under his belt.

If Zion were to choose UNC and Roy didn’t start him, that would absolutely destroy any chance he has going forward of landing a Top 10 kid.

We won’t land him so it doesn’t matter but even Roy isn’t stubborn enough to not start a marquee talent like Zion.

I don’t believe Zion is coming to UNC either but that’s not what I’m talking about.

It’s true you guys have had the lions share of OADs that go to the nba every year but other than 2015 when it came together for you guys, has it not produced some inconsistent results that were not typical of the program before? Early round exits and only one final four appearance? And believe me, I get frustrated with Roy a lot for some his stubborn tendencies, but I do believe that the OAD method is unpredictable. Do I want more potential NBA all stars? Yeah and I’m sick of those in my own fanbase who shun them for the sake of the “system”. But I understand the argument of not relying on them all the time either.
I get it. The thing i think gets super over blown is the idea that we are having these early exits because of the OAD. If you look back at it, which i don’t care to do.

2012- we lose to Lehigh. We had one single OAD, and mixed him with veteran guys (one of which Who was injured). We had no real point guard and it showed.

2014- we lose to Mercer. We had one single one and done and a bunch of veteran guys but we had no big man and we played the worst defense I’ve seen a duke team play, ever. Coach lost his brother that season and he admittedly had his worst coaching year ever. This one stings bc that team was better than that exit.

So both of these examples are ironically what almost all posters and fans want- a single or two to three max OAD players mixed with veterans.

2016- we had no business losing to SC. Sure i could blame that we got an extremely unfavorable draw against a veteran SC team in SC with unc fans in the building from the game prior. Think that’s flat out bullshit but the bottom line is we still blew the game. We had a chance to blow them out and didn’t do it and let them hang around. Much like we did to an inferior Cuse team in the dome last year. Can blame that on youth if you’d like, i think it was a combination of just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong last year. But we did have multiple seniors and a junior who was coming off an AA season the year before. Again, a nice mix, especially when you consider that we started more upperclassmen than not, to the point where we had a huge interboard feud where ironically many wanted the senior to sit.

This year- we are all in on the OAD, if we lose and you want to call it youth go right ahead.

My point mostly is, fans tend to throw blanket statements and hope they stick. When you throw them on opponents it usually sticks without having to justify it, if that makes sense.

White and Black will not be as good as senior JB and Theo but they have very high ceilings. Plus Jalek will have a year under his belt.
Your recruiting class next year is really good and getting Zion would make it elite. I hope it doesn’t happen. Still put my money on UK.

Your recruiting class next year is really good and getting Zion would make it elite. I hope it doesn’t happen. Still put my money on UK.

That’s where I’d put my money as well. Kentucky’s class this year is not on the elite level it usually is so they better hope they get Zion and not Clemson.

I get it. The thing i think gets super over blown is the idea that we are having these early exits because of the OAD. If you look back at it, which i don’t care to do.

2012- we lose to Lehigh. We had one single OAD, and mixed him with veteran guys (one of which Who was injured). We had no real point guard and it showed.

2014- we lose to Mercer. We had one single one and done and a bunch of veteran guys but we had no big man and we played the worst defense I’ve seen a duke team play, ever. Coach lost his brother that season and he admittedly had his worst coaching year ever. This one stings bc that team was better than that exit.

So both of these examples are ironically what almost all posters and fans want- a single or two to three max OAD players mixed with veterans.

2016- we had no business losing to SC. Sure i could blame that we got an extremely unfavorable draw against a veteran SC team in SC with unc fans in the building from the game prior. Think that’s flat out bullshit but the bottom line is we still blew the game. We had a chance to blow them out and didn’t do it and let them hang around. Much like we did to an inferior Cuse team in the dome last year. Can blame that on youth if you’d like, i think it was a combination of just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong last year. But we did have multiple seniors and a junior who was coming off an AA season the year before. Again, a nice mix, especially when you consider that we started more upperclassmen than not, to the point where we had a huge interboard feud where ironically many wanted the senior to sit.

This year- we are all in on the OAD, if we lose and you want to call it youth go right ahead.

My point mostly is, fans tend to throw blanket statements and hope they stick. When you throw them on opponents it usually sticks without having to justify it, if that makes sense.

I can’t disagree with much of what you just said here. Even I have homerism in me, largely due to the fact I can’t stand Duke lol.

Often we like to believe anything negative about our rivals, but reality is often different. For example, I don’t believe for a second Roy holds back his players or always sticks freshman on the bench. He cares about the kids under his charge and when a freshman is that good, he starts. Jackson has been our highest rated recruit since 2012 and he started. Marcus, JB, Theo and Tony all had good minutes freshman year.

Anyway, this year is truly the year of OAD for Duke as you mentioned. It will be very interesting to see the result, even if I hope like hell you don’t win lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: timo0402

Good post. I think there's a little more pressure for Duke to do well with this class of freshmen than other years. We had an excuse last year with all the injuries and distractions, but not this year. If Duke folds out before the final 4, and getting to the final 4 still may not be enough, then there could be some serious debate on building a team around one and dones and not sprinkling them in with veterans. Honestly, and it pains me to say this, Roy's system is working, just so as long as the kids improve over time and blend with the freshmen. Not sold on this Hole team getting past the sweet 16 though.

Rivals has Little at 14.Scout has him at 5.247 had him at 43.Jacckson was at 11 and 10 respectively.Could not find a 247 rating for him so it is questionable if he is rated higher than Jackson.It also had to be determined if he will implicated in the FBI case.Your own board said he was taking money until he decided not to go to Arizona.

We won’t land him so it doesn’t matter but even Roy isn’t stubborn enough to not start a marquee talent like Zion.
Who would he start overDo not think he would
Timo have to disagree Have seen the two NC kids play several times and they have a long way to go before they contribute much.Never seen Little play so cannot speak on him

Rivals has Little at 14.Scout has him at 5.247 had him at 43.Jacckson was at 11 and 10 respectively.Could not find a 247 rating for him so it is questionable if he is rated higher than Jackson.It also had to be determined if he will implicated in the FBI case.Your own board said he was taking money until he decided not to go to Arizona.

Rivals has Little at 5 man. ESPN has him at 14. 24/7 has him at 6. That's higher than JJ on two sites.

I can't speak to the FBI situation, but I'm happy to have him regardless. If he says he didn't take money or request it, I believe him unless proven otherwise.

Who would he start overDo not think he would

Timo have to disagree Have seen the two NC kids play several times and they have a long way to go before they contribute much.Never seen Little play so cannot speak on him

Okay...what are you watching? Coby White routinely drops huge numbers and has done so at the John Wall invitational the past two days. He's consensus top 25-30. Leaky has a longer way to go but both aren't scrubs that will ride the pine.

And if you haven't seen Nassir play, I suggest looking up some highlights. Kid is a monster.

Okay...what are you watching? Coby White routinely drops huge numbers and has done so at the John Wall invitational the past two days. He's consensus top 25-30. Leaky has a longer way to go but both aren't scrubs that will ride the pine.

And if you haven't seen Nassir play, I suggest looking up some highlights. Kid is a monster.
High light tapes are useless on evaluating a player.My son was an average mid major player and we put together a highlight tape that K would rescinded JJ “s scholarship if he would went by that tape only.Jalek is. Top twenty five player and how is that working out for you.Coby White is two years away from being a major contributor.This opinion is after watching him play about eight full games

High light tapes are useless on evaluating a player.My son was an average mid major player and we put together a highlight tape that K would rescinded JJ “s scholarship if he would went by that tape only.Jalek is. Top twenty five player and how is that working out for you.Coby White is two years away from being a major contributor.This opinion is after watching him play about eight full games

Jalek is playing behind a FF MVP. Did you expect him to start over Joel Berry?

And I believe Coby white can easily contribute next year. He can and he will. He is certainly not two years away.

Jalek is playing behind a FF MVP. Did you expect him to start over Joel Berry?

And I believe Coby white can easily contribute next year. He can and he will. He is certainly not two years away.
Before the season Jalek was a transcendent talent destined to be an OAD so I would expect him to get more than token minutes,but then again the UNC system is much too complex for a freshman to excel in

How many games have you seen him play to base your opinion on?

Topps, you’re an observant guy and I certainly acknowledge your opinion. But I can’t help but think there’s a bit of bias here. He’s a potential MD All American and the highest ranked kid in the state. You really think he’s a benchwarmer until his junior year?

Before the season Jalek was a transcendent talent destined to be an OAD so I would expect him to get more than token minutes,but then again the UNC system is much too complex for a freshman to excel in

Mockery aside, Jalek was not destined to be OAD at all coming into this year. And he’s playing a decent amount for a team with an All-American point guard.

Topps, you’re an observant guy and I certainly acknowledge your opinion. But I can’t help but think there’s a bit of bias here. He’s a potential MD All American and the highest ranked kid in the state. You really think he’s a benchwarmer until his junior year?
As I said before I have seen him him several times he will eventually be a starter but not his freshman year.If he does start as a freshman y’all are in trouble.

Where are his minutes going to come from to make him a positive container.Yall have an absolute logjam st his position Kenny Williams,Brandon Robinson ,Platek,Jalek ,and Woods

He can play either 1 or 2. Although yes I do admit we have a bit of a jam in that position. A transfer wouldn’t surprise me.

Good post. I think there's a little more pressure for Duke to do well with this class of freshmen than other years. We had an excuse last year with all the injuries and distractions, but not this year. If Duke folds out before the final 4, and getting to the final 4 still may not be enough, then there could be some serious debate on building a team around one and dones and not sprinkling them in with veterans. Honestly, and it pains me to say this, Roy's system is working, just so as long as the kids improve over time and blend with the freshmen. Not sold on this Hole team getting past the sweet 16 though.
I agree but one thing I’ll say to your point on Roy’s system working- nothing has changed for him or his system. Like you could almost say he just kind of back doored his way into the last two years. As has been noted, his kids stay longer, and any veteran team with talent is usually going to perform well late in the year. It’s not as if he’s not offering all of the top ten kids- he’s just whiffing, and by doing that he’s got his top 10-30 kids who stick around rather than go. You could make a solid argument that same team should have lost in the second round to AR last year if it weren’t for some very fortunate breaks. Meaning that the veteran team would have been sent packing. As it is, they make the most of the situation and advance. Bottom line Roy isn’t doing anything different than he did 15-20 years ago, the landscape has changed and he has whiffed on multiple talents which in turn has arguably helped him. I don’t give Roy credit on that front.

Reactions: topps coach
Honestly, and it pains me to say this, Roy's system is working, just so as long as the kids improve over time and blend with the freshmen. Not sold on this Hole team getting past the sweet 16 though.

Really though thats mainly just a spotlight on the last two years, in which they've been in two final fours and won one natty. It must be said however, that prior to both those FF's the spectre of the scandal hovered over the program, and there was the possibility they may not have been eligible for postseason.

I give Roy's system credit for working, but he benefited too because they were UNC and we all know now are immune from punishment. I would say Roy's system and old money in the deep pocketed Rams Club won out.

OFC

What are you basing ur opinion on?Have you seen him play?My opinion is based on seeing him play in person not looking at highlight tapes

Really though thats mainly just a spotlight on the last two years, in which they've been in two final fours and won one natty. It must be said however, that prior to both those FF's the spectre of the scandal hovered over the program, and there was the possibility they may not have been eligible for postseason.

I give Roy's system credit for working, but he benefited too because they were UNC and we all know now are immune from punishment. I would say Roy's system and old money in the deep pocketed Rams Club won out.

OFC

Roy's strategy is simple, retain multiple top 15 recruits for 3 to 4 years. Once they're upperclassman, Roy has a chance to go deep in the tournament. Also, Roy has an history of misleading his players when projecting their potential draft position. Last season Roy had 3 top 15 recruits that were Junior or Seniors ( I believe the most in the country).

Reactions: hart2chesson
Roy's strategy is simple, retain multiple top 15 recruits for 3 to 4 years. Once they're upperclassman, Roy has a chance to go deep in the tournament. Also, Roy has an history of misleading his players when projecting their potential draft position. Last season Roy had 3 top 15 recruits that were Junior or Seniors ( I believe the most in the country).
He's all about Roy isnt he Jurkin, lol? I bet 4-5 times a year he cant get thru a presser w/o referring to himself in 3rd person...

OFC

The word is chemistry, not saying it's the one and dones fault, but from my view with the Austin led 12 team there was some friction. Facts are that the 11 team was different when Kyrie came back, but again I'm not saying it was his fault.
The 14 team was another letdown. Jabari was on the front of Sports Illustrated, we have this transfer, Rodney Hood, but that team couldn't guard a cookie jar. The 16 team had too many cooks and not enough dishwashers. The more I think about that team, the more I think that was a bad setup from the start.
The problem I think as a whole is the hope that the "stud" is a good teammate.
I think it's safe to say none of us want a guy who knowingly is "only" about himself and the millions that are coming his way. The problem is what if he gets that way after the season has started? Will the staff sit him out and risk future studs from coming?
Personally I think getting everyone to buy into "Duke" has been the part where K has been fighting an uphill battle, but we all hope this team's one and dones are dialed into Duke until after the tournament.

Last edited:
The word is chemistry, not saying it's the one and dones fault, but from my view with the Austin led 12 team there was some friction. Facts are that the 11 team was different when Kyrie came back, but again I'm not saying it was his fault.
The 14 team was another letdown. Jabari was on the front of Sports Illustrated, we have this transfer, Rodney Hood, but that team couldn't guard a cookie jar. The 16 team had too many cooks and not enough dishwashers. The more I think about that team, the more I think that was a bad setup from the start.
The problem I think as a whole is the hope that the "stud" is a good teammate.
I think it's safe to say none of us want a guy who knowingly is "only" about himself and the millions that are coming his way. The problem is what if he gets that way after the season has started. Will the staff sit him out and risk future studs from coming?
Personally I think getting everyone to buy into "Duke" has been the part where K has been fighting an uphill battle, but we all hope this team's one and dones are dialed into Duke until after the tournament.
Chemistry is huge. Every single team. Young, old, basketball or work/marriage. It has to work correctly. I think it’s easy to point to but hard to actually accurately prove which teams did or didn’t have it. And if they didn’t why they didn’t and what was the cause. I know the rivers team is a broken record- as I’ve mentioned before knowing what i do in regards to that team and the leadership struggles on it, it was not on Austin. Miles & Seth had a LOT to do with the disfunction and Dre as much as i love the kid has a lot to do with it as well. Facts. For the Jabari team, like we both mentioned they couldn’t guard me or you. It was supremely frustrating and as i noted above, K did arguably his worst coaching job to date at Duke, a lot of that had to do with the passing of his brother in season. Chemistry was not really an issue at all on that team. They got along great on and off the court. Lack of a big man really destroyed that season. 2011 was tough bc we won the ACCT, we come in and we don’t get to the S16 if it weren’t for Kyrie. I don’t think anyone was beating Zona that night- they were unconcious and we lead at half. I don’t believe chemistry was an issue there but even if it could be argued- what do you do? Not bring him back? If you lose to them anyway you have a first pick on your bench and you are calling for the coaches head. Or worse yet saying the player is selfish. If he was selfish he wouldn’t have come back at all, bc he wasn’t 100% and he clearly wanted to support his team which he did the entire time he was hurt like no one i can recall. Last year as has been noted, was just a perfect storm of awful before we even started. Chemistry or no chemistry was going to salvage what went wrong.

Reactions: topps coach
Chemistry is huge. Every single team. Young, old, basketball or work/marriage. It has to work correctly. I think it’s easy to point to but hard to actually accurately prove which teams did or didn’t have it. And if they didn’t why they didn’t and what was the cause. I know the rivers team is a broken record- as I’ve mentioned before knowing what i do in regards to that team and the leadership struggles on it, it was not on Austin. Miles & Seth had a LOT to do with the disfunction and Dre as much as i love the kid has a lot to do with it as well. Facts. For the Jabari team, like we both mentioned they couldn’t guard me or you. It was supremely frustrating and as i noted above, K did arguably his worst coaching job to date at Duke, a lot of that had to do with the passing of his brother in season. Chemistry was not really an issue at all on that team. They got along great on and off the court. Lack of a big man really destroyed that season. 2011 was tough bc we won the ACCT, we come in and we don’t get to the S16 if it weren’t for Kyrie. I don’t think anyone was beating Zona that night- they were unconcious and we lead at half. I don’t believe chemistry was an issue there but even if it could be argued- what do you do? Not bring him back? If you lose to them anyway you have a first pick on your bench and you are calling for the coaches head. Or worse yet saying the player is selfish. If he was selfish he wouldn’t have come back at all, bc he wasn’t 100% and he clearly wanted to support his team which he did the entire time he was hurt like no one i can recall. Last year as has been noted, was just a perfect storm of awful before we even started. Chemistry or no chemistry was going to salvage what went wrong.
2011- We had the best team and probably win the title but the Kyrie injury ruined our season, it really did.
2012- The only way we had a title chance was for Austin to be a superstar, he was not, and bad chemistry followed.
2013- We had great chemistry and a lot of veterans, we lacked top end talent, and got blitzed by Louisville mainly because of talent.
2014- Strange roster construction, we had no center (minus a cup of tea from Marshall) and our defense was horrible, we still should have made the Sweet 16 Elite 8 though.
2015- We won a big game in April.
2016- Our title chances went away when Amile went down, though they would have been very very slim anyway.
2017- Most talent in the country, no pg and poor defense, most frustrating season I've ever witnessed as a Duke fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dukie
2011- We had the best team and probably win the title but the Kyrie injury ruined our season, it really did.
2012- The only way we had a title chance was for Austin to be a superstar, he was not, and bad chemistry followed.
2013- We had great chemistry and a lot of veterans, we lacked top end talent, and got blitzed by Louisville mainly because of talent.
2014- Strange roster construction, we had no center (minus a cup of tea from Marshall) and our defense was horrible, we still should have made the Sweet 16 Elite 8 though.
2015- We won a big game in April.
2016- Our title chances went away when Amile went down, though they would have been very very slim anyway.
2017- Most talent in the country, no pg and poor defense, most frustrating season I've ever witnessed as a Duke fan.
2013 we got blitzed by Louisville because that guy broke his leg in half and they played like a team possessed after that.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT