ADVERTISEMENT

Duval

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Got a feeling he has a great game Saturday. Hoping he shows maturity and learns from his poor game at Wake.

I have no doubt Tre brings it Saturday. I’m calling a big game from him.

Got a feeling he has a great game Saturday. Hoping he shows maturity and learns from his poor game at Wake.

I look for him to play well. Got some TOUGH LOVE from K with the sit-down (very warranted) at Wake, and staff is sending a timely message. I would look for a more disciplined yet still highly explosive TD on Saturday.

Actually it may turn out to be valuable in another way. AOC was highly efficient and scored 7 points in 20 minutes + garnered two steals in a hostile enviroment. The young man took another step forward at Wake.

OFC

He looked tired at Wake, could be for many reasons, but he didn't have his usual explosiveness at the rim. Is K working him extra hard in practice? Is he hitting a freshman January wall? Maybe he has some tough second semester classes?
Whatever it is, I really hope he looks different Saturday, he is the key to us beating up on UVA.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He looked tired at Wake, could be for many reasons, but he didn't have his usual explosiveness at the rim. Is K working him extra hard in practice? Is he hitting a freshman January wall? Maybe he has some tough second semester classes?
Whatever it is, I really hope he looks different Saturday, he is the key to us beating up on UVA.

Good points Jwill- you never know. However I agree he wasnt near in the same rhythm as the rest of our starters who all performed well, as did O'Connell in Duval's place.

You are correct, breaking down the pack line D starts at the PG slot. We need an overall solid game from him. He'll certainly be given room to shoot. I hope he can knock down a couple 3s...OFC

Reactions: jwill133
To me he is struggling to find his role with the team. There are times when he looks great, but to me there's been too many times when his erratic play gets him a seat next to the coaches. Case in point was the Miami game. For 30+ minutes, he was horrible. The last 6-7 minutes, he was smooth and very efficient. It may hurt him a little that we have bigs and the lane isn't as open as he would like it, but it's up to him to adjust. Pick his spots, and look to kick out or dish to a teammate. He does though seem to take his benchings pretty well, he looked ok sitting and cheering. The team though is better if he's under control and running point, not Grayson.
Hope he sees that the team can win with him not on the court.

I agree with your assessment Mac. I think Bagley and Carter in the lane clog it up for a drive and kick/drive and score PG. The kid's a player though who has flashed moments of brilliance. There will be other games this year just like Miami where he comes up big for us!

To me he is struggling to find his role with the team. There are times when he looks great, but to me there's been too many times when his erratic play gets him a seat next to the coaches. Case in point was the Miami game. For 30+ minutes, he was horrible. The last 6-7 minutes, he was smooth and very efficient. It may hurt him a little that we have bigs and the lane isn't as open as he would like it, but it's up to him to adjust. Pick his spots, and look to kick out or dish to a teammate. He does though seem to take his benchings pretty well, he looked ok sitting and cheering. The team though is better if he's under control and running point, not Grayson.
Hope he sees that the team can win with him not on the court.
Good post

He seems to resonate from his first couple of shots. If they go, he's hot all game, when he misses his first few, seems to get in his head a bit.

Of the (main) four freshmen, Duval has clearly had the toughest time getting adjusted. He's still been good, mind you, but he's also struggled finding his defined role. This is often times was college freshmen do....it's just that we've been so spoiled with the other three so far that when Trevon struggles a bit it's a bit more glaring. Having said all that, as has been pointed by others, he's been outstanding in stretches.

His role is a tough one. He’s a scoring point guard who also plays for the pass. The coaches are giving him room to make plays, which is awesome. They’re letting him fail, sitting him to talk about it, send a message, whatever you want to say it is, but then they put him right back in for clutch situations.

The kid isn’t playing erratic or unintelligent basketball. He’s trying things and the staff is allowing it. I love it. We need him to be at his best with a year’s worth of failures behind him so that he knows what doesn’t work. He’s going to need to play at an MOP level for this team to take it all home.

Duval will be just fine. It’s a lot of pressure being the point guard at Duke. Coming in he was an attacking point guard. Now he’s learning to become a pass first point guard. All I know is in big games this year he has stepped up and made big plays when we needed him

Reactions: dukehokie
He played poorly on Tuesday. I have no reservations about him coming right back in and taking the reigns. He’s learning the hardest position on the job. He’s had plenty of big time moments to fall back on. The staff was correct to sit him and let him see the game from a different view point against Wake. But they’ve also done a great job of letting him stay out there and play through his mistakes. He will learn from them and the hope is he gets better so that when the time comes to put up or shut up he is prepared.

I would love to see Duval learn to step back and take a few deep breaths and relax sometimes. He seems tense and has anyone noticed he is not as fluid when he plays poorly.

Reactions: nupe300
I beleive he goes so deep in the lane because he does not trust his mid range jump shot. He could stop the majority of his to's if he pulled in a lot of those drives. The refs wont call those fouls when driving too deep and the turn to the refs creates a fast break for the other team. His confidence in that jumpshot will return.

Reactions: gottagonow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT