ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Grab your coffee or soda with a 9:30 start it's going to be a late one. With Cassius out for a while... If we can win 1 of the 2 next games (@MSU , @VT) I will be happy. This team is still figuring things out.

With that said.. we get the win and revenge. Go Duke!

Duke 81
MSU 75
Yeah, tbh I would probably rather lose tonight and beat VT if I could only choose one win. Without knowing Coach K's history in these kind of spots (big games, emotional circumstances, injuries), I would predict we lose both as we never seem to play great in Blacksburg. But fortunately I've been watching Duke pretty closely enough the past 30+ years to know that every time I count them out (UVA last year without Tre, Louisville/UVA games in 2015 come to mind), Duke has risen to the occasion.

I think we rise to the occasion...on Friday.
MSU: 70
Duke: 66

Reactions: Skeelow22
Yeah, tbh I would probably rather lose tonight and beat VT if I could only choose one win. Without knowing Coach K's history in these kind of spots (big games, emotional circumstances, injuries), I would predict we lose both as we never seem to play great in Blacksburg. But fortunately I've been watching Duke pretty closely enough the past 30+ years to know that every time I count them out (UVA last year without Tre, Louisville/UVA games in 2015 come to mind), Duke has risen to the occasion.

Also, interesting to look back at the box scores from last year. Against UVA with Tre out, our bench played a total of 12 minutes from 2 guys (Javin and Alex). They got 0 points, 0 boards, 1 assist. Jack and RJ both played 40 mins. Javin took 7 minutes from Bolden. Alex took 2 from Zion and 4 from Cam.

At least we know this year that we don't have to play our starters 188 minutes. We can and will get contributions from all sorts of guys. I remain very optimistic on our long-term success likelihood.

Same here. If we could win one of the two.. I would rather win at VT for personal reasons. I will be at that game this Friday and have seen quite a few Duke losses at VT.. Redick era(forgot the year),2011 when Kyrie was still hurt, 2016 when K went out for surgery not long after, and last season with no Zion. It would be nice to get on a win streak there. A Friday night game for the student section in Casell will be rocking for sure.

But I also want revenge for that Michigan State loss in the Elite 8 last season as well. If we could have just got past that game.. I feel like we would have hung banner #6 so it still stings.

Lets beat them both this week!

Not having Stanley is big, he lives for these type of games. That being said, I hope Wendell steps up tonight, and I really think Alex will let us know he can be a force.
If the kids are "locked in" this will be a good one, and probably a "white knuckler"!
I have never picked against Duke, and I won't tonight.

Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Same here. If we could win one of the two.. I would rather win at VT for personal reasons. I will be at that game this Friday and have seen quite a few Duke losses at VT.. Redick era(forgot the year),2011 when Kyrie was still hurt, 2016 when K went out for surgery not long after, and last season with no Zion. It would be nice to get on a win streak there. A Friday night game for the student section in Casell will be rocking for sure.

But I also want revenge for that Michigan State loss in the Elite 8 last season as well. If we could have just got past that game.. I feel like we would have hung banner #6 so it still stings.

That Redick game was in ‘04. Duke had already beaten a young and bad Tech team 100-65. I’ll never forget. I was a student at Tech at the time and for a 7 pm game, Duke showed up in the bus at 4. They usually get places early but something tells me there was a bit of overconfidence there. After that game, JJ talked about how he had played in Cassell for high school tournaments and hated shooting there.

Probably won’t play but just saw pictures that Cassius was practicing with the team during shoot around today... gotta be a good sign right?!

I wish I felt confident but our shooting and turnovers just kill my confidence.

MSU 84
DUKE 77

Me and you both brother....Friday night is huge for me personally also....don't mind them as much as last year but still they are the jokies

Draymond Green getting his jersey retired tonight. Steve Kerr, Klay Thompson and Steph Curry are at Breslin as well

Although I usually root for the ACC teams (minus UNx) in this challenge, I do not like Lewisville and I've always been partial to Michigan. And how can you not like them after what they did to the cheats? It's Michigan for me.

9:30 is way too late.. the only game this year I fell asleep during was against Stephen F Austin, and we know how that turned out.. so I’m going to try my hardest to stay awake..

Reactions: skysdad
I know that this doesn’t have to do with our game specifically but I was just looking back at the history of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge and it’s crazy that the ACC won the challenge for the first 10 years but over the last 10 years the ACC has only won the challenge twice and the challenge ended up tied 3 times and the Big 10 has won if the other 5 times. Overall the ACC has won the challenge 12 times, the Big 10 has won the challenge 5 times and the challenge has ended up tied 3 times. Hopefully the ACC wins the challenge for a 13th time this season. Right now it’s looking like this year’s challenge could be tied 2-2 after last night’s games and the first 2 games tonight because Syracuse is down by 17 with just under 7 1/2 minutes left I the second half and Louisville is leading at halftime.

9:30 is way too late.. the only game this year I fell asleep during was against Stephen F Austin, and we know how that turned out.. so I’m going to try my hardest to stay awake..

I thought will be way past 9:30 before our game starts. The Michigan /UL game didn't get underway until after 7:30. No matter what the score is that game will not be over until at least 9:30. Then the interviews and warm ups plus we have to listen to Greenburg. My guess is a 9:50 start at the earliest but probably more like 10:00. OFC

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
I thought will be way past 9:30 before our game starts. The Michigan /UL game didn't get underway until after 7:30. No matter what the score is that game will not be over until at least 9:30. Then the interviews and warm ups plus we have to listen to Greenburg. My guess is a 9:50 start at the earliest but probably more like 10:00. OFC
Jesus. I’m seriously considering taking a hour and a half nap right now and waking up for the game.

Draymond Green getting his jersey retired tonight. Steve Kerr, Klay Thompson and Steph Curry are at Breslin as well

Is Green going to sit by three or four fans who are significantly better cheerers, and then bob his head and wag his tongue because of their prowess?

Reactions: jwill133
Yeah I’m not going to watch this one until tomorrow. Tomorrow is the second of two soccer games two days in a row for me. I need the sleep and the stress will kill my heart.

Reactions: dbav
I’ve got a feeling that the Louisville/Michigan game will probably go past 9:30 because it’s 8:48 and there’s still about 16 minutes left in the second half

I’ve got a feeling that the Louisville/Michigan game will probably go past 9:30 because it’s 8:48 and there’s still about 16 minutes left in the second half

Not hard to figure out is it? Why didn't the 1st game start at 7:00? OFC

With this being at MSU and we don't have Cassius, I don't see us winning tonight.

I don't know what I'm thinking about. The game probably will get started close to 9:30. It just won't be on ESPN until around 10. It will start on ESPNNEWS.or ESPNU. The problem with that is not everyone gets those extra ESPN channels. OFC

Not hard to figure out is it? Why didn't the 1st game start at 7:00? OFC
Yeah I don’t know why they had to show the College Football Playoffs Top 25 on ESPN before the ACC/Big 19 Challenge games otherwise the games would’ve started at 9. They should’ve showed the College Football Top 25?9’ either ESPNU or ESPNEWS. It seems like every year during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge they show the College Football Top 25 on whichever channel Duke’s game is on and we usually have the late game when that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT