ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Football - What do we do this year?

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
The Cutcliffe era is over and despite the fizzle of the ending of his tenure he gave us some great football at Duke. Here is hoping the new era can be the start of some solid football again.

The Elko era has begun...

Duke is favored in only two games this year before the season starts. Temple and NC A+T.

I am going to predict five wins for the Devils of Durham.

Temple and A+T of course.

But, I am going out on a limb and predict wins against Kansas, Georgia Tech and one of either Boston College or Virginia Tech.

I think the Northwestern game win or lose can set the tone for us this season. If we play some good football against them and either win or play really well, and then have the other three of our first four games won, we might find a way to get into a bowl game this year.

Yes I am ever optimistic.

The Cutcliffe era is over and despite the fizzle of the ending of his tenure he gave us some great football at Duke. Here is hoping the new era can be the start of some solid football again.

The Elko era has begun...

Duke is favored in only two games this year before the season starts. Temple and NC A+T.

I am going to predict five wins for the Devils of Durham.

Temple and A+T of course.

But, I am going out on a limb and predict wins against Kansas, Georgia Tech and one of either Boston College or Virginia Tech.

I think the Northwestern game win or lose can set the tone for us this season. If we play some good football against them and either win or play really well, and then have the other three of our first four games won, we might find a way to get into a bowl game this year.

Yes I am ever optimistic.
Any prediction at this point is pure speculation. New coaches, new playera, new schemes. Going to wait until after the Temple games to at least get a little feel for what the future may hold. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I listened to a podcast last night by two guys who apparently are sportswriters who report on college football, don't remember their names. They did an ACC football preview. They basically laughed their way through the Duke preview, saying that Elko had an impossible challenge.

I hope we make guys like that eat their words and at least stay competitive the whole season and maybe knock off a couple big shots along the way (I'm looking at you, Cheaters).

Reactions: hart2chesson
I listened to a podcast last night by two guys who apparently are sportswriters who report on college football, don't remember their names. They did an ACC football preview. They basically laughed their way through the Duke preview, saying that Elko had an impossible challenge.

I hope we make guys like that eat their words and at least stay competitive the whole season and maybe knock off a couple big shots along the way (I'm looking at you, Cheaters).
I would love to see my alma mater Appalachian State beat the Holes this weekend!

Bring the Victory Bell back to Cameron where it belongs 👍
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Michigan up 30-0 against Colorado State. They win 51-7. Michigan looking to be good again. Oregon down 35-3 to Georgia.

Last edited:
Well...

It is over a third of the way through the season and Duke is 4-1 and favored in 3 of their next seven games. If we just win the ones we are favored in, we go Bowling.

Our quarterback has the best completion percentage in the ACC. While our backup Quarterback Jordan Moore is having a very good year as a receiver. Since he is still in the learning process of the position, I think he will possibly have a great year and end up on the top of our standings for the position (he is already second in receptions and third in yards).

Our defense is ticking along well.

This team as it gains confidence and settles even more into Elko's system will IMO, be much stronger in the latter part of the season. I see the possibility of us hitting 8-9 wins this season. We HAVE to win the ones we are supposed to win and then I think we have an opportunity against UNC and Pitt for the upsets. I'd love to pay back Miami for the Halloween Fiasco!

GO DUKE!!

Well...

It is over a third of the way through the season and Duke is 4-1 and favored in 3 of their next seven games. If we just win the ones we are favored in, we go Bowling.

Our quarterback has the best completion percentage in the ACC. While our backup Quarterback Jordan Moore is having a very good year as a receiver. Since he is still in the learning process of the position, I think he will possibly have a great year and end up on the top of our standings for the position (he is already second in receptions and third in yards).

Our defense is ticking along well.

This team as it gains confidence and settles even more into Elko's system will IMO, be much stronger in the latter part of the season. I see the possibility of us hitting 8-9 wins this season. We HAVE to win the ones we are supposed to win and then I think we have an opportunity against UNC and Pitt for the upsets. I'd love to pay back Miami for the Halloween Fiasco!

GO DUKE!!
As to the 3 likely wins, I assume you are referring to Ga Tech, Va Tech, and BC. I hope you are right, but even those games could be close. Ga Tech beat Pitt after all. OFC

Reactions: BluePhil
As to the 3 likely wins, I assume you are referring to Ga Tech, Va Tech, and BC. I hope you are right, but even those games could be close. Ga Tech beat Pitt after all. OFC
Absolutely we could lose. They are merely the ones we are now favored in due to our/their performances. GT beating Pitt actually works in our favor IMO. No sleeping on this team (not that I expect a team that has something to prove this year would fall asleep).

I think Pitt had some bad playcalling, and some bad luck which aggravated their play.

Three turnovers had the defense coming right back out after a three and out. It killed their momentum.

Georgia Tech is the worst in the ACC in Pass defense and managed to keep Slovis to 6/16 in the first half.
The passing yard Pitt did achieve are deceiving in the stat line as GT's defense changed to prevent a loss. Most their 300+ yards of passing were in the last few minutes of play.

Israel Abanikanda was injured and did not play the second half. Add in Rodney Hammond is still out and Vincent Davis fumbled twice you have their rushing game decimated.

I think with the most accurate QB in the ACC versus the worst pass defense is a matchup that definitely works in our favor.

We take care of the ball, and I think we win. I do not think GT beats us without turnovers.

Absolutely we could lose. They are merely the ones we are now favored in due to our/their performances. GT beating Pitt actually works in our favor IMO. No sleeping on this team (not that I expect a team that has something to prove this year would fall asleep).

I think Pitt had some bad playcalling, and some bad luck which aggravated their play.

Three turnovers had the defense coming right back out after a three and out. It killed their momentum.

Georgia Tech is the worst in the ACC in Pass defense and managed to keep Slovis to 6/16 in the first half.
The passing yard Pitt did achieve are deceiving in the stat line as GT's defense changed to prevent a loss. Most their 300+ yards of passing were in the last few minutes of play.

Israel Abanikanda was injured and did not play the second half. Add in Rodney Hammond is still out and Vincent Davis fumbled twice you have their rushing game decimated.

I think with the most accurate QB in the ACC versus the worst pass defense is a matchup that definitely works in our favor.

We take care of the ball, and I think we win. I do not think GT beats us without turnovers.
BluePhil you make some really good observations and I agree. As for Saturday, like yourself I concur turnovers are a key point. Pitt had three INTs(as you noted)vs Rambling Wreck, and it can't be easy to replace qb Kenny Pickett. (Pitt was another team Cut hadn't defeated in how many years??)

Anyway back to this coming Saturday and the improved minus Coach Geoff Collins less Jackets. (Apparently his firing lit a fire under them???) Turnovers: Duke has won that battle in every game they've won! This is a HUGE reversal from last two years, when Cut's teams handled the ball like a hot potato!!! Win that battle Saturday, contain qb Sims (he's been there how many years???)and I think we come home with a win. The Duke offense seems to put up enough points generally to where our D makes it stand up!!

Duke, 31 Tech 21

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT