ADVERTISEMENT

Duke 2017-18

I'm excepting a 22-9 record before tourney next season, because I think the bench is not very good. Guards are gonna be a headache

wow, Duke might have the best backcourt in the country and guards are going to be a headache? I am not sure what you are looking at but I am starting to get more excited about this years team than lasts, this Duke team is going to role as long as they stay healthy.

I actually believe this team could exceed some expectations. There will be lumps along the way due to so many young players but this is the chance for the staff to really coach and players to develop.

No one knows the leap (or if there is one) from Fr to Soph for both Jack and Javin. They have attributes that would fill roles at Duke.

Also, by year's end, how much will the Fr improve

I really like the make-up of this team better than last year when there were super high expectations. It's a more well rounded team position wise. I hope it doesn't turn into a 6-7 man rotation - then I don't think we'll do as well.

I like the inside game. we have 3 guys who can play the 5 and a true PF in Carter (been a while since we had a pure center and PF at the same time). Bolden, Carter, Vrank. Carter will be a low post scorer. The question-mark here is whether we'll get much scoring from Bolden or Vrank - but with Duval they could both see a lot of dish and dunks.

Javin and White as more classic PF/SF. Javin's length will be interesting as I think he can play both the 3 and 4; even the 5 on occasion.

4 classic Duke perimeter wings: Trent Jr., Grayson, Tucker, and O'Connell. O'Connell can shoot and has a very good handle but will need to become more physical to get PT. Tucker is probably going to be the best pure 3 pt. shooter on the team. Whether he has the confidence to transition to the next level (or whether K lets him 'go' if he misses a few shots) remains to be seen.

2 PG's in Duval and Goldwire (who probably won't see much action - but he's there if we need someone to handle the rock).

Another nice thing is, I don't think we'll have any real scoring liabilities on the outside as in the past.

We'll see Grayson, Duval, Carter, and Trent, Jr. eating up a ton of minutes (I'd prefer to see them in the low 30's, 30-32; but I suspect we'll see too many for some of these). Bolden could as well if he improves. But, I suspect fewer than the other 4.

Carter, Duval, Trent Jr. and Grayson will all go to the NBA next year. Almost surely Bolden as well (though, personally, I think Bolden would do well to stay 3 years at Duke, develop physically, low-post scoring, and as a rebounder. I think his game would benefit and he'd be a top 15 pick).

Looking way ahead, for 2018-19, that leaves 6 players - Goldwire, White, Vrank, Javin, Tucker, and O'Connell - who are capable of playing well at the D-1 level: 3 sophs, 2 Jrs, and a Sr. And, you have a pretty complete lineup right there in terms of 1-5 positions. Add in 2-3 major recruits (ideally at G, F, PF/C) and that's still a solid team.

I watched some O'Connell highlights last night. He has serious game and is long and springy. He's not going to be good in traffic, but he has a beautiful pull up jumper and plays with determination. I'm thinking now that he may get time over Tucker and Goldwire. Our bench may be better than anticipated.

I watched some O'Connell highlights last night. He has serious game and is long and springy. He's not going to be good in traffic, but he has a beautiful pull up jumper and plays with determination. I'm thinking now that he may get time over Tucker and Goldwire. Our bench may be better than anticipated.

He will def. get time over Goldwire. His handle will help him. And, may also eek out time over Tucker. Tucker - if he shoots like he did in HS - has a pure stroke and at 6'7 is going to be tough to stop as a perimeter shooter. I'm hoping Tucker does not become a Gbinijie (in terms of no PT and transfer). But, Tucker looks more athletic on videos and that will help him.

Reactions: christophero
He will def. get time over Goldwire. His handle will help him. And, may also eek out time over Tucker. Tucker - if he shoots like he did in HS - has a pure stroke and at 6'7 is going to be tough to stop as a perimeter shooter. I'm hoping Tucker does not become a Gbinijie (in terms of no PT and transfer). But, Tucker looks more athletic on videos and that will help him.
I'm thinking practices will be heated with all these deserving guys fighting it out for playing time. I hope it's all good natured and team comes first. No injuries!

Reactions: youngman42

The thing between freshman this year and freshman of the past is that the playing time is legitimately there for whoever comes in and grabs it. There are no Amiles or Matts or Quinn Cooks who are locked in for guaranteed minutes because of their understanding of the system and the game at this level. Grayson yes, but outside that minutes are available. Whoever comes in and works the hardest should be rewarded this year.

I think OC will get a shot at backup PG. If he's ready right away that really helps us. Still stunned over this Chris Cornell news. Huge fan. :(

Reactions: DukeDenver
I might be wrong but I think Tucker and Goldwire won't expect a lot of playing time. Goldwire knew when he signed that he would be running the 2nd team and Tucker waited on Duke after Knox made his decision. That in my opinion will only help with chemistry. Any time they get will be a plus versus expecting 15 minutes or so a game. The same scenario was this past season with Delaurier. He knew Duke had Tatum and therefore he wouldn't play much. Roles. When guys know that, the team will have the best chance for success

I think OC will get a shot at backup PG. If he's ready right away that really helps us. Still stunned over this Chris Cornell news. Huge fan. :(

Me too. Sucks! He was incredible. My brother is a huge fan and I called him he said he was gunna have to just go drive now. We lose the real talent too soon

I just want to say: Shooters.

I really like this class coming in. By the looks of it there are 4 really good shooters in the class in Trent, Duval, Tucker, and O'Connell. I don't expect all of them to get a lot of PT, but I like that we have them and K certainly knows how to find a spot for shooters. Add Grayson into the mix and this team could be lethal from the perimeter. You could even add Jack to that.

I like the interior too. Bolden will improve and Show tells me that Wendell is the real deal. Add in Vrank, and Javin as an athletic 4 and it could be a lot of fun.

I won't say I expect to see this, but think of how athletic a lineup of Carter, DeLaurier, Trent, Allen, and Duval would be. That's a headache.

I'm really looking forward to this season. Let's win this thing.

Last edited:
I just want to say: Shooters.

I really like this class coming in. By the looks of it there are 4 really good shooters in the class in Trent, Duval, Tucker, and O'Connell. I don't expect all of them to get a lot of PT, but I like that we have them and K certainly knows how to find a spot for shooters. Add Grayson into the mix and this team could be lethal from the perimeter. You could even add Jack to that.

I like the interior too. Bolden will improve and Show tells me that Wendell is the real deal. Add in Vrank and Javin as an athletic 4 and it could be a lot of fun.

I won't say I expect to see this, but think of how athletic a lineup of Carter, DeLaurier, Trent, Allen, and Duval would be. That's a headache.

I'm really looking forward to this season. Let's win this thing.
I mostly agree with you.
But isn't one of the knocks on Duval that he isn't a great shooter? Perhaps he's improved? (just going off stuff I read)

Reactions: SwlaDukie
I mostly agree with you.
But isn't one of the knocks on Duval that he isn't a great shooter? Perhaps he's improved? (just going off stuff I read)

Maybe, I thought I read on hear that he was improving in that regard. After all, he seems to drain everyone in his mixtapes. Looks like he shoots at least 100% from long range, haha.

Either way, as long as he can hit a few open ones while the other team's guards are worried about Trent and Allen, I'll be happy. I would liken that to what I always hoped Thornton was capable of.

JG, Tucker and Alex. Don't sell them short on work ethic, competitiveness or the desire to get better.

JG- has played against elite PG's (even Duval) and has held his own. The kid has the mindset of a true Duke PG and I believe brings more to the table than Tyler T did. I am impressed with his toughened, his ability to pass the ball and his willingness to defend.

Alex- is a player with Dunleavey qualities. He is a gamer and he can score. Obviously he needs to add weight and strength but he's played against high level players with success.

Tucker- he's a fit at Duke. A kid who can score on on three levels, size and wants to be at Duke. He "could" be surprise of the class.

I love the make up the team. I think Grayson is going to have a huge senior year. He will have the ultimate green light with Duvall being a true point guard with the keys in his hand. Duvall will take alot of pressure of Allen. I think O'Connell and Tucker will get minutes because their ability to hit shots, but I doubt they play much together.The biggest question for this team which big shows up becomes the alpha dog on the inside. This team will not be able to play 4 guards very often unless White has improved alot sense last season. Carter, Delaurier, Vrank,and Bolden are going to have to be able absorb all the minutes at the 4 and 5.

Great 1-5. Bench is shaky and inexperienced. Javin, white, Tucker, Alex O are all Swiss Army knife players.

As long as Tucker, Alex O and White can hit open shots and rebound from the wing we will be fine. Javin provides great athleticism, defense and rebounding. He will be great in transition.

South Carolina beat us and went to the Final Four with BARELY any 4 star players. There were fewer Five Star players in the Final Four than we have on our team for next year. Our four stars should be performing better than half the countries starters.

I do not want to hear from K next year that we lack depth. If I hear that one more time while we have players ranked better than half the countries starters sitting on the bench I swear I am going to scream.

I do not want to hear K complain about youth - we've made our bed and have to lay in it.

Coach'em up and give them burn or just another year of an early exit when a player or two falters and we have no backup ready to play.

Okay, I am a bit bitter right now, I admit it. Our talent is not lacking for next year.

There's is everything to really enjoy this team.
- An extremely talented Sr who can take over a game.
- A gifted PG who can not only handle the ball and pass it but who can also score.
- An incoming class that from top to bottom has the elite OAD's to the talented players who make the foundation of teams over the duration of years.
- Returning players who should play their roles

I'm more estatic about this upcoming year than last and prob as excited to see the team play as I have ever been excited about any Duke team.

People pay to much attention to the star and not the player. I think Goldwire could play 8-12 min next season, if given a chance to.

So Duval is now 'officially' in the fold. Good news for the Duke program and fans today....as well as a nice start to the week.

I know there's a roster prediction thread, but I think now we can move on to a thread where we're allowed to be even more specific.

By and large, I think our starting five looks like this....

Trevon
Grayson
Gary
Wendell
Marques

Good size up front. I'm excited for Wendell because he likes to rebound. Hoping to see that fire from Marques because rebounding has never been a strong suit for him. I love our wings in Grayson and Gary, Jr. Two guys who can both shoot it and have a propensity of getting to the basket. Trevon, hopefully, gets this unit to come together.

Off the bench, I think there's four guys in line who will have a shot at minutes. They are....

Antonio
Javin
Jack
Jordan

Vrank and Javin should see minutes. Jack will have a shot to play 10 minutes per game on the wing. Jordan is the wildcard here. Can he find minutes his first season? We'll see.

I don't see a scenario where Goldwire is playing meaningful minutes next season. He's a nice prospect to earn time in future years, but I think a year working on his build and stamina are going to be his main areas of focus....and doing the best he can to push our guys every day in practice.

Looking at talent alone, this team doesn't jump out at us like this past season's unit did....but some nice pieces are in place. If Grayson can become the player we know he can be, Trevon can lead from the point and Wendell is Wendell, this team can be pretty good. Few teams in the country can say they will have more talent.

Looking forward to this fall!
I agree with ur starting 5 ..ur bench idk if its in order or not ...but anyways my bench would start with Javin /Jordan ..he can really stroke it and has the length to defend . We all know k like guys that can shoot the 3..then white/big frank ...I wouldn't be surprised if O'Connell got a chance. he's coming on strong and really improving ..needs to hit the weights but it's not( as) important in college ..(as) keyword ..it's important ...anyway I wouldn't be too quick to judge a book by the cover ..I when I played was always the skinny small guy yet was stronger then a lot of other bigger guys..some guys just have wasted weight ...if I'd been their size I would have been a bad dude lol...anyways guys are going to really get a great opportunity this year reguardless of what happens this year it's good for our future ...excited .our starting 5 could be as good as anybody in the country with the potential to be the best ..I think we have a good combo of guys coming off the bench happy to play a role and a great 5 so I think there won't be the chemistry issues like last year thank god! Let's go!!!!! Feel like I'm forgetting somebody

Last edited:
I agree with the starting five that Dukejay has. I really like this team, and it has to do with 2 things: Roles and Allen.
On paper this team may not be as talented as last seasons but I think everyone will know their role, which will lead to continuity.
Allen: after a somewhat disappointing (by his standards) junior season, I expect him to come out and be a leader that this team needs. He will show it in his play and his intensity will rub off to everyone else.
I think this will be a fun team to watch and also think it will be a fun team for K to coach.
Took words out my mouth should have read this before I commented lol

Reactions: Mac9192
There's questions that will need to be answered. No doubt about that.

As an overall shooting team the makeup will likely be different than past teams. But don't take that to mean this team still won't have shooters. Grayson, as we all know, is a very good shooter. Trent is still regarded as one of the better shooters in his class. Are White and Tucker viable options to stretch defenses? That's the big question and still TBD.

Also, look for Duke to play even more of a pick-n-roll game next season. Again, the makeup of this team is different....I'm looking forward to watching them run their own race.
I can't agree more pick and roll pop will be our O and should be..been saying that for months lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT