ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know....

I didn’t know that but then again I’ve never really thought about it. I think Kyrie and Q are the only 2 from Duke to do it since ‘09 (comparing from when Cal came to UK)

Reactions: Quavarius
But this is not even about winning a title; it’s about appearing in the NBA Finals.

And Boogie has been hurt and hasn’t played that much this season.

To have played for K since Cal started at KY and play in a finals, I’m thinking:

Quinn Cook
Kyrie Irving
Rodney Hood

In that time period Shane Battier, Dahntay Jones, and I think Shelden Williams played in the finals ( though their tenure at Duke predates Cals tenure at KY)

Why do you make dumb posts? You act as if this is a telling stat. How many of those players besides kyrie were actually significant to their team?

It IS a telling stat from a coach that touts his former players NBA success. He never mentions that stat! Luckily the guys at ESPN reminded everyone.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
It IS a telling stat from a coach that touts his former players NBA success. He never mentions that stat! Luckily the guys at ESPN reminded everyone.
Except his former players do have NBA success. It’s a stupid stat, only 5 teams have made the NBA finals in that span of time.

Except his former players do have NBA success. It’s a stupid stat, only 5 teams have made the NBA finals in that span of time.

Only 5 NBA teams have made the finals since 2009 when Cal’s UK tenure began?

Lakers vs Celtics in ‘10 I remember. Dirk’s Mavs beat LBJ’s Heat in ‘11. That Heat team played the Spurs and OKC in a couple finals after that. Then LBJ took the Cavs there and the Warriors emerged. Raptors are in this year. 5 teams is about halfway there.

Only 5 NBA teams have made the finals since 2009 when Cal’s UK tenure began?

Lakers vs Celtics in ‘10 I remember. Dirk’s Mavs beat LBJ’s Heat in ‘11. That Heat team played the Spurs and OKC in a couple finals after that. Then LBJ took the Cavs there and the Warriors emerged. Raptors are in this year. 5 teams is about halfway there.

The only team I missed was OKC. How would the first year have counted considering there would have been no Cal coached Kentucky players in the league? And this year doesn’t matter because there is a Kentucky player in it.

Last edited:
The only team I missed was OKC. How would the first year have counted considering there would have been no Cal coached Kentucky players in the league? And this year doesn’t matter because there is a Kentucky player in it.
John Wall was the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Cousins and Patterson were selected in the draft lottery that year too. Also, pretty sure that Eric Bledsoe was drafted. All of those players were coached by Calipari at Kentucky. The 2010 NBA draft is after the 2010 NBA Finals (so I’ll erase C’s and Lakers from the list. - That’s my error) The 2011 NBA Finals - present have included 7 teams: Heat, Mavs, Spurs, OKC, Cavs, GS and Raptors.

I’m not sure why this year wouldn’t count, wouldn’t it could the most since there’s a former UK player involved?

John Wall was the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Cousins and Patterson were selected in the draft lottery that year too. Also, pretty sure that Eric Bledsoe was drafted. All of those players were coached by Calipari at Kentucky. The 2010 NBA draft is after the 2010 NBA Finals (so I’ll erase C’s and Lakers from the list. - That’s my error) The 2011 NBA Finals - present have included 7 teams: Heat, Mavs, Spurs, OKC, Cavs, GS and Raptors.

I’m not sure why this year wouldn’t count, wouldn’t it could the most since there’s a former UK player involved?
Count it or don’t count it man I don’t care. My point is that it’s not some big mark against Cal and Kentucky like Quavarius seems to think it is. And you seem pretty reasonable so surely you don’t think it is either.

Count it or don’t count it man I don’t care. My point is that it’s not some big mark against Cal and Kentucky like Quavarius seems to think it is. And you seem pretty reasonable so surely you don’t think it is either.
Didn’t intend to nit-pick your 5 team statement over 1 team. I incorrectly added Boston / LA finals and wasn’t aware that you decided this year didn’t count. I could give 2 flying dumps less about UK players and what they achieve. I don’t think his former players finals success is terrible or terrific.

Quav is a respected poster and you introduced yourself on here with disrespect. I just came back in defense. It’s the off-season bro, there’s not much topic to be had. Nothing wrong with him posting something basketball related. If you don’t care about it then don’t post.

Yeah I’m a troll because I don’t have the same opinion as you

I've looked and looked and looked, and can't find the opinions here... it looks like Q is just posting facts.

Amazing that so few of Cal's players have made the finals. One major contributing factor is actually how good they are... the higher in the draft you go, the crappier the team you go to.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
I've looked and looked and looked, and can't find the opinions here... it looks like Q is just posting facts.

Amazing that so few of Cal's players have made the finals. One major contributing factor is actually how good they are... the higher in the draft you go, the crappier the team you go to.
It’s a fact yes, but obviously his opinion is that it should be counted as a bad mark against UK, maybe I’m wrong but post #24 pretty much tells me that’s his opinion. Which I think is just dumb, because like you said most of the players get drafted to crappy teams. And also, a lot of them are really young, the oldest players have been in the league 9 years.

Didn’t intend to nit-pick your 5 team statement over 1 team. I incorrectly added Boston / LA finals and wasn’t aware that you decided this year didn’t count. I could give 2 flying dumps less about UK players and what they achieve. I don’t think his former players finals success is terrible or terrific.

Quav is a respected poster and you introduced yourself on here with disrespect. I just came back in defense. It’s the off-season bro, there’s not much topic to be had. Nothing wrong with him posting something basketball related. If you don’t care about it then don’t post.
I said I didn’t care whether you counted this year or not, I didn’t say I didn’t care about the subject as a whole. Theres nothing wrong with me disagreeing with him either.

It’s a fact yes, but obviously his opinion is that it should be counted as a bad mark against UK, maybe I’m wrong but post #24 pretty much tells me that’s his opinion. Which I think is just dumb, because like you said most of the players get drafted to crappy teams. And also, a lot of them are really young, the oldest players have been in the league 9 years.

I hope you bring such reason and logic to Rafters when they rave about Duke players sucking in the NBA and all the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT