ADVERTISEMENT

Coby gone

I wish I wasn’t banned from THR so that I could go ask them “since Roy doesn’t recruit one and dones, how do you explain Little and White being one and done?” I’d probably get banned for it though lol

Last edited:
UNC will have its bumps next year. In your scenario, I see the lineup as

Anthony
Tucker
Black
Brooks
Bacot

Yeah I just cant see Robinson starting. Good player off bench, good shooter, but plays a little outside Roy's scheme at time in shot selection. Defense questionable too... OFC

Reactions: ticket2ride04
I wish I wasn’t banned from THR so that I could go ask them “since Roy doesn’t recruit one and donea, how do you explain Little and White being one and done?” I’d probably get banned for it though lol

Yeah, I think the small percentage of us that are sane and rational on that board will say Roy recruits them, just doesn't usually land them. It certainly isn't for lack of trying. Carey, Ingram, Knox, Romeo, Giles, Zion, etc. etc. etc. etc. were all heavily recruited by Roy.

Nas was the first true OAD he's landed since Barnes (who I think would have left if no lockout). Coby played his way into it. Tony Bradley sorta did too but sorta shouldn't have left.

Reactions: jeans15
Yeah, I think the small percentage of us that are sane and rational on that board will say Roy recruits them, just doesn't usually land them. It certainly isn't for lack of trying. Carey, Ingram, Knox, Romeo, Giles, Zion, etc. etc. etc. etc. were all heavily recruited by Roy.

Nas was the first true OAD he's landed since Barnes (who I think would have left if no lockout). Coby played his way into it. Tony Bradley sorta did too but sorta shouldn't have left.

Nas wouldn’t had gone to unc if it wasn’t for the FBI issues with Arizona. Roy was lucky with him.

Reactions: Leo2Wes
Nas wouldn’t had gone to unc if it wasn’t for the FBI issues with Arizona. Roy was lucky with him.
Williams would not have signed if Shaka stayed at VCU

They got Johnson because Pitt imploded.

That’s a significant part of the rotation coming from sloppy seconds.

Reactions: QC Dukie

Agree Jurkin, and leave it to ol Roy to not start a lottery pick.(He could have gone small and brought Brooks off bench). Strategy to hold Nas back failed, and kid goes to League after one year anyway!
#NasKnew

Agree Jurkin, and leave it to ol Roy to not start a lottery pick.(He could have gone small and brought Brooks off bench). Strategy to hold Nas back failed, and kid goes to League after one year anyway!
#NasKnew

Worked out for the best. UNC was better suited with Nas in the lineup. Roy was trying to keep Nassir and Coby for multi-years, but like you said, the plan backfired and he's left with a depleted team. Should be interesting to see how UNC ends up next season.

That's who I'd probably have in my starting lineup. But Roy tends to favor seniors over underclassmen if there isn't a significant difference in production. Hence, I think Robinson gets the nod over Leaky Black, even though I think Black has a much higher ceiling.

It wouldn’t be shocked if Robinson starts as he’s the better shooter but before Black had that bad injury, he was getting more minutes. He’s better with the ball, better passer, better defender, and seems to have a really high basketball IQ. UNC is going to be really young next year and not nearly as offensively talented. We will need to prioritize defense and ball protection which bodes well for Black.

Roy will go with experience and start Manley over Bacot.

It is possible, but at this point it looks like Manley will never be more than a bench guy. He’s injury plagued and timid. But every team seems to have a surprise or two in the offseason.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Worked out for the best. UNC was better suited with Nas in the lineup. Roy was trying to keep Nassir and Coby for multi-years, but like you said, the plan backfired and he's left with a depleted team. Should be interesting to see how UNC ends up next season.

Meh.

If you watched Nas play in the beginning of the season, he had no business being in the starting lineup. He looked lost. By the end of the season our best lineup was with him but not in November/December.

Also, how was he trying to keep Coby for multi-years when he started him as a freshman PG from day 1?

Meh.

If you watched Nas play in the beginning of the season, he had no business being in the starting lineup. He looked lost. By the end of the season our best lineup was with him but not in November/December.

Also, how was he trying to keep Coby for multi-years when he started him as a freshman PG from day 1?
I agree with you. You guys needed Nas to be better, just as we needed Reddish to be better. At the beginning of the season, I thought Nas would eventually start and play at least 20 minutes a game, and being one of your best players. Didn't happen. But White is a player, and if not for him, you guys might have missed the tournament.

Reactions: dadika13
Meh.

Kind of difficult to gain confidence when you're riding the pine and playing limited minutes.

The fact that White started speaks volumes about Roy's opinion of the alternatives. A serviceable upperclass PG - if you had one - would have started.

Kind of difficult to gain confidence when you're riding the pine and playing limited minutes.

Chicken egg situation to me. Do you just roll him out and watch him suck playing 30 mpg for a month and hope he realizes his potential? Do you hope he gets better in practice first? Neither answer is right or wrong to me, but I find it really hard to believe that Roy sat a kid so he'd come back another year. I know you guys think stuff like that just as we think some stuff about K that I'm sure you think is nuts.

The fact that White started speaks volumes about Roy's opinion of the alternatives. A serviceable upperclass PG - if you had one - would have started.

Maybe. Depends on how serviceable the upperclass guy was I guess. Paige played 30mpg as a freshman PG when there were 2 upperclass guards on the roster already.

I do think Roy gets unfairly criticized by a lot of Duke fans, and obviously the same can be said for the way UNC fans go about their critiques of K. But that's part of the rivalry. If a player is really, really good or has those sought-after intangibles....they're stock is going to be high. Cam Reddish, for example, left a lot to be desired at times....but it doesn't take a genius to see his potential. Same with Nassir Little. Both are long and athletic with ever-expanding perimeter games. Genetically, they look like NBA players right now. Doesn't mean they play like them.

For Coby, like Justise Winslow before him, they're seen coming in as guys who have a lot of specialties but maybe fly under the radar of NBA talent evaluators. Then, something clicks. Coby was known as a guy with a knack for scoring, but the question with him was how would it translate right away to the college game. Obviously, he exploded and so did his perceived value. For Justise, it wasn't necessarily his scoring, but a lot of the other things. Both guys went from fringe first-round picks to lottery guys in months.

Theo Pinson, for example, was seen as a guy who did a lot of things well, but nothing great out of high school. His game took four years to expand and it could result in a long professional career. His intangibles alone could keep him on an NBA roster into his 30s.

I do think Roy gets unfairly criticized by a lot of Duke fans, and obviously the same can be said for the way UNC fans go about their critiques of K. But that's part of the rivalry. If a player is really, really good or has those sought-after intangibles....they're stock is going to be high. Cam Reddish, for example, left a lot to be desired at times....but it doesn't take a genius to see his potential. Same with Nassir Little. Both are long and athletic with ever-expanding perimeter games. Genetically, they look like NBA players right now. Doesn't mean they play like them.

For Coby, like Justise Winslow before him, they're seen coming in as guys who have a lot of specialties but maybe fly under the radar of NBA talent evaluators. Then, something clicks. Coby was known as a guy with a knack for scoring, but the question with him was how would it translate right away to the college game. Obviously, he exploded and so did his perceived value. For Justise, it wasn't necessarily his scoring, but a lot of the other things. Both guys went from fringe first-round picks to lottery guys in months.

Theo Pinson, for example, was seen as a guy who did a lot of things well, but nothing great out of high school. His game took four years to expand and it could result in a long professional career. His intangibles alone could keep him on an NBA roster into his 30s.

hof coach roy williams is a top notch coach no doubt about that. I just enjoy making fun of him when he sticks his foot in his mouth and I do feel like he thinks he's entitled. He can't help it of course. He' a tar heel fan . He can't help it. It's his nature. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT