ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Engelland

Tlass

Starter
Sep 26, 2011
Durham, North Carolina
Man didnt know he was a coach, (currently with San Antonio Spurs), I heard during the game them talking about him being a shooting coach. I tell you life after basketball for the Duke players sure is sweet, And I think i got a glace of Will Avery on the DUKE bench this season. Anyone (Q probably has all this posted,and im too lazy to look) know what his role is?

GO DUKE!

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
Chip is one of those former Duke players whom we seem to take for granted and the main reason is he was on some of Coach K's 1st few teams but let me tell you he could flat out shoot it. Tate Armstrong is another one and going back even farther in time there's Bob Verga and Dave Golden. OFC

I have often wondered, as recently as last week, why Coach K can't get Engelland to come back to work with Duke players who are horrible at shooting, especially foul shooting. I guess Chip is committed to a pro team but to have that teaching talent in the Brotherhood and not take advantage of it when it is so badly needed is a shame.

Chip is one of those former Duke players whom we seem to take for granted and the main reason is he was on some of Coach K's 1st few teams but let me tell you he could flat out shoot it. Tate Armstrong is another one and going back even farther in time there's Bob Verga and Dave Golden. OFC
I would love to see Bob Verga now with the three line. JJ would have nothing on Verga, he was just as good if not a better shooter!!
OFC

I would love to see Bob Verga now with the three line. JJ would have nothing on Verga, he was just as good if not a better shooter!!
OFC

Only those who saw Verga play would understand but JJ was so good and he worked hard after college to become what he is today and that is a better all aroind player. I'm not sure Verga had that work ethic but as a pure shooter yes he could stroke it eith JJ. OFC

Last edited:
Verga was also one tough, somewhat nasty guy. I saw him play in summe leagues when he was over 40 (he became almost a pro tennis player as well) and he was tough and really built up.

Golden had a weird career arc. He shot 49.6 percent as a sophomore, 45.4 as a junior and 41.7 as a senior.

And most of those were indeed jump shots. Golden didn't do post-ups.

Verga was also one tough, somewhat nasty guy. I saw him play in summe leagues when he was over 40 (he became almost a pro tennis player as well) and he was tough and really built up.

Verga was indeed one tough dude. Bob played in the old ABA w/St.Louis (which eventually became the Carolina Cougars). Talk about tough, Bob once floored 6'10" Mel Daniels in an ABA game! Bob's best year in the pros was probably in the inaugural season of the Cougars. They were coached by Bones McKinney and Bob and former High Point University star Gene Littles were backcourt starters.Bob later played w/another REALLY TOUGH GUY in John Brisker w/Pittsburgh Condors.

Engelland gets overlooked because he was in that Bill Foster/Coach K transition. I think Chip played on Foster's last team (lost to Purdue, elite 8), and then K's first 3 teams when the Devils were struggling. (K's first team DID go 17-13 and make the NIT).

Yes we've had some outside marksmen. My own faves by the decades:
60's- Verga
70's-Armstrong
80's-Engelland
90's-Langdon
2000's-- Redick
2010's-Kennard

OFC

Golden had a weird career arc. He shot 49.6 percent as a sophomore, 45.4 as a junior and 41.7 as a senior.

And most of those were indeed jump shots. Golden didn't do post-ups.
Always thought Golden was gonna be the next Verga but left for college out of state and those were pre ESPN days so this was only time that I could not watch Duke BB

Chip Engelland was the first really good Duke player from California. Steve Gray and Scott Goetsch preceded him but neither was an impact player, at least not in a good way.

He was in Bill Foster's last class, along with Tom Emma, Mike Tissaw and Alan Williams. Played one year for Foster, three for K.

Remember 1983, when the ACC experimented with a 17'9" three-point line? Engelland hit 55.4 percent from that distance. He was a career 85 percent foul shooter.

He was a skinny 6'3", an ordinary run-jump athlete and didn't really do anything else well.

But he could shoot. We've all the heard the adage "those who can, do, those who can't do, teach." Does not apply to Chip Engelland. He could do and teach.

Verga was indeed one tough dude. Bob played in the old ABA w/St.Louis (which eventually became the Carolina Cougars). Talk about tough, Bob once floored 6'10" Mel Daniels in an ABA game! Bob's best year in the pros was probably in the inaugural season of the Cougars. They were coached by Bones McKinney and Bob and former High Point University star Gene Littles were backcourt starters.Bob later played w/another REALLY TOUGH GUY in John Brisker w/Pittsburgh Condors.

Engelland gets overlooked because he was in that Bill Foster/Coach K transition. I think Chip played on Foster's last team (lost to Purdue, elite 8), and then K's first 3 teams when the Devils were struggling. (K's first team DID go 17-13 and make the NIT).

Yes we've had some outside marksmen. My own faves by the decades:
60's- Verga
70's-Armstrong
80's-Engelland
90's-Langdon
2000's-- Redick
2010's-Kennard

OFC
Was listening to that game on the radio.Bob Laney the mouth of the south was doing play by play.Verga hits him with a left another left Daniels goes down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT