ADVERTISEMENT

Carter’s mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some don’t think so
I'm guilty of that. I'm sure no one on this board will faint with me saying this. Duke basketball is exactly that, just basketball, not solving world hunger. I don't follow a particular pro team in any other sport, don't drink, or hang out in bars. I should probably play more golf, but that may lead to more drinking.

I am sorry for my posting the other day to Show and Dukiejay.

Top-Gun-hug-gif.gif

Yeah yeah yeah. "Sorry" is between "shit" and "syphilis" in the dictionary.

There. Back to normal. I feel better now.

OFC
You keep this behavior up, and tomorrow morning you'll be sharing your eggs and oatmeal with more than one Kentucky fan pal.

Reactions: Willcampbell
You keep this behavior up, and tomorrow morning you'll be sharing your eggs and oatmeal with more than one Kentucky fan pal.
For your info, I had a "Hungry Man" today. Three eggs, cheese, sausage, bacon, ham, and hash browns on a hero. Let's see some whimpy kitty cat eat that!
PS: You rule, Mac.
OFC

Reactions: dbav
mac, unlike the sentiment from your buddy there, I have apologized, several times here through the years. I've damn sure made mistakes along the way. And I hate we got into it like we did. It just sucks arguing like that and nobody here likes it. I to am sorry we got into it like that. I to don't hang out in bars. I to don't drink much. And I honestly DO see your points. I HATE we don't have senior talent like the old days, I just don't know how we can have it now. It's a slippery slope. And hey....I'm not rich and I live in NC. ;) . At any rate, nothing personal brother, maybe we can get back to just pulling for the men in Blue.

I read the article and I have to say, the issue is BS IMO. Reason being is I see no viable way for Colleges to pay players - NCAA to profit share with athletes that can in any way be fair and equitable.

First of all NCAA Basketball is not a Monopoly in which top high school players are forced to participate in order to further their NBA hopes. As has already been proven going the route of overseas professional play is a viable option. However, they will probably be paid significantly less than they would in College. This brings me to my second point.

Second, they are not unpaid laborers. They receive significant value for services rendered. The cost of the scholarship is actually only a fraction of value received. When an average student goes to college on a full scholarship they receive significantly fewer benefits. In addition to the scholarship many athletes get special academic help, access to more facilities, tailored athletic assistance with top coaches and trainers, and a significant other perks. This makes the value of a full athletic scholarship at a place like Duke worth many thousands of dollars more than a full academic room/board scholarship.

Third, there are only so many of the Division I schools that actually make money on their programs. More than 40% of NCAA Division I teams lose money on their programs. 33.8% of teams in the tournament either broke even or lost money this year. Several of the economic losers were pretty big name teams. Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and West Virginia all lost money this past year. Butler made $1.00 in profit.

Fourth, Racism as a false issue. Blacks make up an estimated 12.7% of the population. The NCAA top echelon is made up of 26.3% black. The upper echelon includes the positions: chief operating officer, executive vice president, senior vice president and vice president. 20.5% of the next echelon of positions is held by black individuals. They include: executives at the managing director/director positions. As to teams the black student athletes comprise 57.2% of Div. 1 basketball teams. This leaves 42.8% of other races.

Other than letting the kids use their own names and making their own t-shirts, etc. I see no fix that can work in paying students.

I read the article and I have to say, the issue is BS IMO. Reason being is I see no viable way for Colleges to pay players - NCAA to profit share with athletes that can in any way be fair and equitable.

First of all NCAA Basketball is not a Monopoly in which top high school players are forced to participate in order to further their NBA hopes. As has already been proven going the route of overseas professional play is a viable option. However, they will probably be paid significantly less than they would in College. This brings me to my second point.

Second, they are not unpaid laborers. They receive significant value for services rendered. The cost of the scholarship is actually only a fraction of value received. When an average student goes to college on a full scholarship they receive significantly fewer benefits. In addition to the scholarship many athletes get special academic help, access to more facilities, tailored athletic assistance with top coaches and trainers, and a significant other perks. This makes the value of a full athletic scholarship at a place like Duke worth many thousands of dollars more than a full academic room/board scholarship.

Third, there are only so many of the Division I schools that actually make money on their programs. More than 40% of NCAA Division I teams lose money on their programs. 33.8% of teams in the tournament either broke even or lost money this year. Several of the economic losers were pretty big name teams. Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and West Virginia all lost money this past year. Butler made $1.00 in profit.

Fourth, Racism as a false issue. Blacks make up an estimated 12.7% of the population. The NCAA top echelon is made up of 26.3% black. The upper echelon includes the positions: chief operating officer, executive vice president, senior vice president and vice president. 20.5% of the next echelon of positions is held by black individuals. They include: executives at the managing director/director positions. As to teams the black student athletes comprise 57.2% of Div. 1 basketball teams. This leaves 42.8% of other races.

Other than letting the kids use their own names and making their own t-shirts, etc. I see no fix that can work in paying students.
Home-Run post. +1

"33.8% of teams in the tournament either broke even or lost money this year"

WoW!

Phil, where did you get those percentages for race in sports?

And I'm not sure those numbers actually speak about racism. In fact, some people might look at the fact that more than half of college basketball players are black yet only a quarter of executives are black as a sign that there IS something bad going on there. If you are going to give numbers, I think you then have to draw more conclusions from them.

And I'm not sure those numbers actually speak about racism. In fact, some people might look at the fact that more than half of college basketball players are black yet only a quarter of executives are black as a sign that there IS something bad going on there. If you are going to give numbers, I think you then have to draw more conclusions from them.

Institute of Diversity and Ethics in Sport (where numbers come from)

Perhaps it is a bit too little info as is to draw absolute conclusions from but comparing to Richard Lapchick's 1990's Study of Sport and Society (same Director of the modern study) we see improvement across the board in all areas. Significantly in graduation rates.

In the 1990's 44% of black athletes in major sports in the NCAA believed they were going pro. Black student athletes had an absolutely abyssmal graduation rate vs. white Student Athletes. White student athletes, graduated in much more significant numbers, in part, because they were preparing for a career after their sport. This contributes to the fact (since so few from the 90's graduated and are not prepared to take positions within a corporate structure) that black administrative professionals in the realm of sports is lower than their participation rates in the sports themselves.

In the 1990's (I use this study because that era and previous eras are what form the administrative higher ups in the NCAA today) only 27% of black student athletes graduated. This is compared to more than 50% of White Student Athletes.

Since there is racial disparity in basketball, there will always be racism claims. However, show me any actual examples of institutional racism within the NCAA and I will be there to fight it. But you will find none, because none exists. Are their individual racists within the NCAA, and its member organizations? Surely there is. But Institutional racism in the NCAA does not exist.

Although I wish there was a way to pay athletes that makes sense, I just don't know what that would realistically look like. With that being said, the main issue I have is that they cannot make money off of their likeness. Where else can you tell someone that they cannot make money by signing their own name? I honestly cannot articulate how absurd I think this is.

Reactions: Showenuff
Although I wish there was a way to pay athletes that makes sense, I just don't know what that would realistically look like. With that being said, the main issue I have is that they cannot make money off of their likeness. Where else can you tell someone that they cannot make money by signing their own name? I honestly cannot articulate how absurd I think this is.
Agreed, i certainly don’t know the answer of how, but as i mentioned much earlier in the thread. There needs to be a way to compensate those that do produce revenue for their schools. It’s impossible to do it across all sports. That’s never going to work nor should it. The small % of kids who do, should be able to make a cut and there should be a way of figuring that out. Whether it’s jersey sales or likeness i have no clue.

I understand that directly paying the athlete's may not be obtainable, this is due to many factors, but I've always understood it to be the issue of revenue sharing...
How can you pay a woman's field hockey player who only has to commit 10 hours a week AND her sport loses money the equal amount to a men's football player who commits 40 hours a week AND generates 90% of the schools athletic revenue?? I don't know if that is a major hold up on all this, but to me it seems like there is no fair way to do this.

My only thought would be....
The athletes don't get paid at all, but why can't a given athlete generate income off of their own name and likeness? Why couldn't Marvin Bagley already have a contract with Nike in place paying him 10 million a year? Why can't Trevon Duval get a % of every "Duke #1" jersey that was sold?? Again....my only gripe with all this is that these guys can't market themselves and bring in their own dollars.
I'm sure someone much smarter than me can explain why this may end up being negative?? But to me, I think it's fair and makes sense. If your 18 and worth 10 million a year to Nike, than I believe you should be allowed to get those endorsement dollars.

Reactions: hart2chesson

Well, since only 18% of Division I, II or III college athletes are black, I'd say the NCAA is rather progressive with a quarter of executives being black. +1 for the downtrodden NCAA.

Reactions: PHXDukie
She's just butthurt, like the rest of the parents who rely on their 18/19 yr old sons to provide them the lifestyle they want/deserve, that she had to wait a whole nother year for her dreams to come true.
Uhh... racist dog whistle much? I guess his parents' 30-year marriage and their emphasis on academics that led him to consider Harvard don't fit the narrative, huh?

Well, since only 18% of Division I, II or III college athletes are black, I'd say the NCAA is rather progressive with a quarter of executives being black. +1 for the downtrodden NCAA.
How about in revenue sports, which would not include those sports where the money involved results in them being almost entirely white?

I love debating issues of race, but this might be a good time to close the thread. This is going to deteriorate quickly. We made some good points.

Reactions: pisgah101
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT