ADVERTISEMENT

What's Your 2023-24 Starting Squad?

It’ll be interesting. I was hoping reeves would be ready to take that spot but apparently he’s struggling in recovery.
I agree with you. Was hoping Reeves would be showing signs of improvement by now. Perhaps, as you noted, he can continue to rehab and begin to establish himself. OFC

My guess is 10 minutes per game with Flip at the 5. He's best at the 4 imo. Stewart, Young and Reeves should be able to handle the other 30 minutes. At times we could go small ball with Flip and Mitchell down low; but I don't think that is ideal for long stretches. Another wildcard is if Mitchell has a AA type season, we may be able to go small for longer. Nice to have options. I do think we need to develop Reeves in case we match up with a Purdue type big team in the tournament.

Last edited:
My guess is 10 minutes per game with Flip at the 5. He's best at the 4 imo. Stewart, Young and Reeves should be able to handle the other 30 minutes. At times we could go small ball with Flip and Mitchell down low; but I don't think that is ideal for long stretches. Another wildcard is if Mitchell has a AA type season, we may be able to go small for longer. Nice to have options. I do think we need to develop Reeves in case we match up with a Purdue type big team in the tournament.
If Mitchell is an All-American, than we will be an all time great team.

A whole lot of expectations on Stewart based on that scrimmage footage. I personally still think he may be best off the bench, but I could be wrong. His rebounding and the fact that he doesn't need the ball offensively do make him a good fit with the other guys, so I can see how it could happen. But I still see him being pretty raw offensively (other than dunking) and lacking some size/strength defensively. Yes, Lively was just a dunker himself, but he was much bigger and longer than Stewart, and absolute game changer defensively. We'll see. As others have said, we have a lot of options.

Young is too experienced and does too many good things to not get at least 10 minutes per game. I expect improvement from him this year. Him and Stewart will probably split duties, at least the first few months. It remains to be seen if Stewart can avoid foul trouble, but young athletic guys like him sometimes are foul prone. Flip will probably start out playing more minutes at the 5; I'm sure the goal is to cut down on that as the year progresses. Hopefully Reeves gets comfortable so he can give minutes.

Young is too experienced and does too many good things to not get at least 10 minutes per game. I expect improvement from him this year. Him and Stewart will probably split duties, at least the first few months. It remains to be seen if Stewart can avoid foul trouble, but young athletic guys like him sometimes are foul prone. Flip will probably start out playing more minutes at the 5; I'm sure the goal is to cut down on that as the year progresses. Hopefully Reeves gets comfortable so he can give minutes.
The coaching staff knows the team is stacked at the guard position. Due to that reality, there are moments Flip 'may' play the 5. However, everyone knows he's not comfortable at the 5.

If Mitchell is AA, we are hanging #6 in Cameron. Flip was the best freshman in America last year and he's back, and I truly think Proctor will make a Jay Williams type of freshman sophomore leap.

I think it's all going to boil down to if we can hit the 3 at a respectable clip.

I think Mitchell will at least be all ACC. It will be interesting to see if he, Flip and Proctor make big leaps. It's been a while since we had that caliber of player come back. Moore and Williams perhaps, but these guys appear to have more upside.

If Mitchell and Proctor do take the leaps were hoping for this team is going to be filthy. Duke just has so much damn size and scoring threats this year. McCain is a walking bucket and might come off the bench.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't know if you guys have been watching the Twitter (X?) videos of Young or heard him speak, but he's talking about taking the 3 point shot this year. If he takes those shots along with the open foul line shot and makes some, it really opens up the middle for our slashers to the basket. Another wrinkle we didn't really see last year and a way to make the team more guard-centric with Young in the game.

I don't know if you guys have been watching the Twitter (X?) videos of Young or heard him speak, but he's talking about taking the 3 point shot this year. If he takes those shots along with the open foul line shot and makes some, it really opens up the middle for our slashers to the basket. Another wrinkle we didn't really see last year and a way to make the team more guard-centric with Young in the game.
I would be happy with the mid - range shot and his post ups... Young does not jump to high so it may not be a jump shot. Just a thought, not a rip.

Young's gonna be raining 3s like Laettner. I think he will have a solid year. Nice to have seniors like him and Roach that have already played for us. We should see a much more consistant year.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think it's all going to boil down to if we can hit the 3 at a respectable clip.
No question, and this has been a weak point in recent years.We did have Griffin two years ago, but his injuries hampered his mobility against strong defenders.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT