ADVERTISEMENT

What's Your 2023-24 Starting Squad?

What Would Jesus Do?

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I notice that ESPN's Borzella lists Duke as #1 in his "Way Too Early" top 25 poll. And projects this starting roster. What do you think?

Jeremy Roach (13.6 PPG)​
Tyrese Proctor (9.4 PPG)​
Jared McCain (No. 12 in ESPN 100)​
Mark Mitchell (9.1 PPG)​
Kyle Filipowski (15.1 PPG)​

Last edited:
If Roach returns
Roach
Proctor
Mitchell
Flip
Young
Could change if Roach leaves or portal 5. Steward replaces Young eventually

Proctor
Foster
Mitchell
Flip
Young
Roach replaces Foster if he returns .

I don’t believe there will be a set starting 5. This team is going to be too versatile. I believe it will be based on matchups. Sometimes starting 3 guards. And I don’t expect Flip to be at the 5 very often. Really depends on if a portal big comes in or not as well.

I just don’t see a world where we can start Young and consider ourselves a title contender with zero rim protection. I love Young for what he is, which is buckets off the bench for 10-15 mpg.

2 options: Roach is back, small ball
Proctor
Roach
McCain
Mitchell
Flip

We land a transfer C..
Proctor
Roach/McCain
Mitchell
Flip
Transfer C

My current hope js

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Transfer C (Aziz Bandaogo pretty please)

Foster
McCain
Power
Stewart
Young

Blakes/Schutt/Reeves

Feel like if Roach returns it may result in one of Foster/Schutt/Blakes leaving

I am sorry to say, at this point Steward reminds me of Josh Hairston, great motor but not enough skill. I'm afraid if he starts it's not a good indication.

I think we will bring in a new transfer but if not, it may be Young starting with the hope that Reeves will develop during the season like Mark Williams did at the end of his freshman season.

I am sorry to say, at this point Steward reminds me of Josh Hairston, great motor but not enough skill. I'm afraid if he starts it's not a good indication.

I think we will bring in a new transfer but if not, it may be Young starting with the hope that Reeves will develop during the season like Mark Williams did at the end of his freshman season.
Don’t see the Hairston comp for Stewart at all. Much better athlete, superior size, and his skills now are far above what Hairston has by the time he was a senior.

Steward is listed as a PF. It might be a tall ask of a freshman to man the center spot his first year. Still think we add a portal 5. Add that plus Roach back and that is a team without a big weakness.

Last edited:
247Sports Rankings Update

247 Composite
Jared McCain #12 (+4)
Sean Stewart #16 (-1)
Caleb Foster #18 (-1)
TJ Power #19 (+5)

247's Rankings
Jared McCain #13 (+13)
TJ Power #15 (+13)
Sean Stewart #20 (-8)
Caleb Foster #21 (-2)

Reactions: christophero
DBR is discussing the latest academic report for the last 4 years and it isn't good. Especially last year, we were lower than any Duke sport and at the bare minimum to be eligible for the tournament. How times have changed. Hopefully Jon is addressing that. He was a good student.

DBR is discussing the latest academic report for the last 4 years and it isn't good. Especially last year, we were lower than any Duke sport and at the bare minimum to be eligible for the tournament. How times have changed. Hopefully Jon is addressing that. He was a good student.
I’d be interested to see how other schools did in regards to the past 4 years too. With the professionalism of college sports (let’s call it what it is) academics seem to not really matter.

I know we have taken some academically questionable kids the past 6-7 years (and for the record, I am all for that, as long as they qualify). Also…I believe Jaylen Johnson just leaving school in January and ending with a 0.0 GPA really brought us down. Of our NBA guys, I do feel Duke does a great job of making sure the guys finish the semester though in May. Other schools: as soon as a guy enters the draft, he’s gone.

I’m in my 40’s and wish I took academics more seriously in HS and college. But, if I was a year away from making millions of dollars, I wouldn’t care at all if I got a D or an A in Biology.

Unfortunately, there's not too much for Jon to address. The only thing college about it anymore is the name on the jersey. It's win now, and win at almost any cost.
The thing for the coaches is to keep their kids out of trouble.

The worst year was the 2022 final four year.
It was, and I am sorry perhaps the best coach ever went out that way. Still, you can't deny K's legacy. He made DUKE BASKETBALL the most visible, loved/hated brand in college hoops,is winningest coach, and of course led us to those five nattys.

Nonetheless the timing of the baton hand off from K to Scheyer was perfect. Jon breathed new life into the program with his sheer enthusiasm, 10 game winning streak and rookie year ACC TITLE!!!

Sorry for the rant, and certainly didn't mean to sabotage the thread. I like the line-up of @Duke Blu if Jeremy returns.

OFC

Reactions: Duke Blu
Roach returning would answer a lot of questions for us. Something that could really drive team GPA down is if guys stopped going to class to prepare for the draft. Not saying it happened at Duke, but it definitely happens at other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Roach returning would answer a lot of questions for us. Something that could really drive team GPA down is if guys stopped going to class to prepare for the draft. Not saying it happened at Duke, but it definitely happens at other schools.
What Questions does Roach answer if he returns ? You got me lost on this one Chris . Only thing he answers is which of Blakes or Schutt leaves . Really already know what we are getting out of Roach . Really think even when he returns this is Proctors team .

Reactions: hart2chesson
What Questions does Roach answer if he returns ? You got me lost on this one Chris . Only thing he answers is which of Blakes or Schutt leaves . Really already know what we are getting out of Roach . Really think even when he returns this is Proctors team .
I do think Proctor will be the premier Duke guard, regardless if Jeremy returns. The glimpses of future he showed at the end of the UT loss underscored his budding greatness.

I see Jeremy in a Quinn role, and nothing wrong with that!!! He would still do plenty to help perhaps lead us to a title. Only worry is a transfer. I am still high on Schutt- would hate to see him leave. OFC

Last edited:
Question for folks. If Roach returns, are you okay with the tradeoff of potentially losing one of McCain/Foster? I'm not saying that's for sure going to happen, but just throwing out the scenario and seeing what everyone thinks. It'd be a lot of backcourt mouths to feed

IMO I'd be fine with it. Having a senior captain like Roach would be super great.

Reactions: Duke Blu

Clutch shooter. Roach has hit some clutch shots in tournament play. The Final Four run and the ACC tournament last year. BIG shots in pressure situations. As it stands, without him, who else has shown we can give them the ball tied or down one possession, and is not only willing but able to cash in? I feel you need that for a title run generally. Preferably from the guard position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT