ADVERTISEMENT

What's Your 2023-24 Starting Squad?

Well a 15ppg scorer, senior captain, go to guy. Been to the final four. Why would we need that?
Simple . He’s an undersized combo guard ( think this is why Foster and McCain come back for year two if he returns) . Is he really a go to guy ? He’s off and on at times . He can turn it on then go blank so while I’ll give you a senior captain he plays better off ball . Think Proctor gains co captain next year .

Reactions: 9dukejames
Clutch shooter. Roach has hit some clutch shots in tournament play. The Final Four run and the ACC tournament last year. BIG shots in pressure situations. As it stands, without him, who else has shown we can give them the ball tied or down one possession, and is not only willing but able to cash in? I feel you need that for a title run generally. Preferably from the guard position.
Ok but what happened against Tennessee? The final four run just wasn’t Roach . It was a couple first rounders named Griffin, Paolo and Williams along with Keels . How is he clutch ?

Question for folks. If Roach returns, are you okay with the tradeoff of potentially losing one of McCain/Foster? I'm not saying that's for sure going to happen, but just throwing out the scenario and seeing what everyone thinks. It'd be a lot of backcourt mouths to feed

IMO I'd be fine with it. Having a senior captain like Roach would be super great.
You don’t loose either. It’s Blakes or Schutt. Foster is bigger and MCCain is coming in as a combo unlike Roach who was a pg out of High school but is an undersized combo guard . Roach coming back won’t scare either in coming frosh but Blakes and Schutt might not want to ride the bench . One as a junior and the other as a sophomore.

So you don't want Roach back because it will scare away Blakes or Schutt?

Question for folks. If Roach returns, are you okay with the tradeoff of potentially losing one of McCain/Foster? I'm not saying that's for sure going to happen, but just throwing out the scenario and seeing what everyone thinks. It'd be a lot of backcourt mouths to feed

IMO I'd be fine with it. Having a senior captain like Roach would be super great.
Yes. Yes. You never want to lose anyone but I will always go with the proven commodity. And I think if Roach returns one of those guys leave. If they all want to stay super. My dream team would be a senior transfer 5, Flip, Mitchell, Roach and Proctor.

Reactions: orphanduke
. How is he clutch ?

During the tournament run, he hit several big shots in a couple of games, when we absolutely had to have a basket. I can post the highlights if you wish? Michigan State and Texas Tech. What happened against Tenn? He was on the bench a substantial amount of time. Last year vs Miami, Duke up 4 with about 1 1/2 minutes left, Miami on a run, Roach rises up knocks down a huge 3.

Roach has admittedly driven me nuts at times, but him and Proctor would be a great backcourt. Roach would be one of the most experienced players in the country. Roach back would give us our best shot since 2015.

Last edited:
It’s hard to argue that the team wouldn’t be better with Roach. He’s a solid college guard. The issue is a crowded backcourt.
Whether anyone transfers or not, there’s a high percentage at least 1 highly rated player will spend more time picking splinters than playing.

Will the player(s) left out not disrupt chemistry?

Reactions: christophero
So you don't want Roach back because it will scare away Blakes or Schutt?
Now I never said I didn’t want Roach back . You said he answers a lot of questions for next seasons team and I simply think he is the one player Duke can actually replace the easiest with the incoming class.
Let me ask you this , should Roach return and this team has another second round exit and looses say two more players will you be ok with it ?

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
I do believe that getting a center who can protect the rim, rebound, and catch lobs answers more questions for the team than Roach returning.

Even if the center averages 6 ppg to Roach’s 16 ppg, it rounds out our roster better and will allow the young guards a chance to play more and see what they got.

Now of course, I really want Roach back. His leadership would be huge, but given our roster construction, he isn’t vital. Keels returning last year at this time felt vital.

Simple . He’s an undersized combo guard ( think this is why Foster and McCain come back for year two if he returns) . Is he really a go to guy ? He’s off and on at times . He can turn it on then go blank so while I’ll give you a senior captain he plays better off ball . Think Proctor gains co captain next year .
Duke doesn’t go to the FF without Roach in 22. It’s that simple.

And Roach is easiest to replace? Yikes.

Duke doesn’t go to the FF without Roach in 22. It’s that simple.

And Roach is easiest to replace? Yikes.
I think Roach is extremely important. Of course, he's frustrating, but he is better than Foster, Schutt and Blakes, so getting him back would be a monster bump. And if Duke doesn't get a transfer center, then getting Roach back would be even more important.

Assuming the money is nearly the same. I have no idea why any college athlete would rather be in Europe as a professional than to be at Duke and on national TV 20+ times a year.

The money basketball players receive in Europe has such a wide range. I grew up with someone who played low level D1 ball then played in a lower level Europe league for 12 years making 80K a year tax free and loving life. The big time leagues (EuroLeague for example) guys can make in the millions, so it’s hard to tell.

I know UK has had issues with NIL and not GUARANTEEING a set amount of $, but rather saying “you come here, get all the exposure possible, and the NiL deals will come.” I wonder where Duke stands on this, and gotta wonder if this is why we haven’t landed a transfer C yet.

Guess it comes down to Duke or overseas. He will have to weigh his options what would be better Duke/NIL/home vs Overseas/Salary/Foreign Country. Not sure how much he would be able to pull overseas but with NIL might entice him to stay one more year and try for a championship.

Reactions: orphanduke
In other completely non-related news. there is a rule proposal to allow players to wear any number 0-99.

Who on the 23-24 roster is most likely to wear 69?

I also saw that Whitehead is having a second surgery on his foot. Guess it didn’t heal correctly. Maybe that is why he didn’t play up to the level expected. Give him credited for fighting thru it to finish the season.
Speaks to the actual toughness he showed all year long. Dude was banged up and still fought through it.

Would I be happy with another second round exit Shey? No I wouldn't. Anything can happen in a one game scenario. But Roach back would give us our best chance to go the final four or further. If Roach doesn't come back Proctor is the only proven commodity in the backcourt. The freshman could be good but likely they will be up and down like most of our freshman. Ideally, I would like Roach back and another transfer 5, but odds are we only get one of those. If we get both of those we have the pieces to make a deep run. Even one of those and we do.

Would I be happy with another second round exit Shey? No I wouldn't. Anything can happen in a one game scenario. But Roach back would give us our best chance to go the final four or further. If Roach doesn't come back Proctor is the only proven commodity in the backcourt. The freshman could be good but likely they will be up and down like most of our freshman. Ideally, I would like Roach back and another transfer 5, but odds are we only get one of those. If we get both of those we have the pieces to make a deep run. Even one of those and we do.
I think a lot are really under selling McCain and Foster .
Foster dipped in rankings because when he switched schools he was mainly looked to as a scorer and McCain is known as a scorer but had improved on the defensive side of the ball.
To answer the question , yes Roach can be replaced ( I get a lot are going to lean on his senior leadership ) but he’s an off and on player . He’s a scoring guard . That’s why Proctor was placed at the point . Roach is better off the ball just like Nolan was . I do think Duke can survive if Roach decides to move on and those wanting a center you see the numbers transfer centers are getting . Scheyer might just be saving those endorsements for Roach’s return and has centers looking elsewhere.
Also believe the front court , while maybe not great is still good enough to compete with anyone in the country . I mean you do have Flip, Mitchell, Young, Stewart and Powers.

I'm hearing good things about Power. Looks like a multi year guy too. He could be our Mitchell type sleeper this year. Him and Stewart may be competing for minutes. I haven't really seen the freshman guards play but they seem to be ranked in the Roach/Keels area, maybe a little higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
In other completely non-related news. there is a rule proposal to allow players to wear any number 0-99.

Who on the 23-24 roster is most likely to wear 69?
Wow, how would a ref signal a foul on number 69??

I doubt it but hopefully I am wrong. We would still be pretty young without Roach. Nab an upperclassman transfer if he leaves.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I doubt it but hopefully I am wrong. We would still be pretty young without Roach. Nab an upperclassman transfer if he leaves.
Dude how many players you want every year from the portal ? Do you not even want the bench players returning to get any minutes ?
Then you’ll be wondering why players transferred or tried the league . Kids are not going to ride the pine at Duke or any where else . Just the fact that they are transferring from Duke makes them targets by other schools . I get the obsession with the portal , however Duke had three grad transfers and Young only two saw time . At some point you have to role with what you have .

Reactions: Mac9192 and gstarr
I meant if Roach leaves and our decommit. That's 2 likely starters. Maybe it was 3 weeks ago.

I meant if Roach leaves and our decommit. That's 2 likely starters. Maybe it was 3 weeks ago.
If the other one was a starter he wouldn’t have left . He got worried he couldn’t beat out Mitchell at sf and he was taking Flips spot . Just my opinion but if a starter transferred Duke has more issues then NIL .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT