ADVERTISEMENT

What's Your 2023-24 Starting Squad?

Did I say that ? Personally for him I hope he gets some minutes. if not he can always hit the portal! For everyone always talking about OAD it seems once we get high end recruits the players that stick around they could careless if they leave.
I mean you essentially said that. Blakes is the odd man out in the guard rotation.

I mean you essentially said that. Blakes is the odd man out in the guard rotation.
How so ? The only thing I said was his defense would get him minutes . Never said how many or over who .

This is why I’m not against either if they leave and transfer . So who are the plenty defenders if we need to see how Foster and McCain are defensively ? I know scouting reports said McCain has improved on that side of the ball. I know we have Mitchell and Proctor who defend well. Roach is decent, Flips ok . Don’t know about Stewart or Powers . Young would be the same as flip against athletic front court players simply ok . Blakes we know can defend on the ball . Haven’t seen enough of Schutt or Reeves although I do think Reeves could be a good defender .
Stewart is a really good defender I'm pretty sure. not sure on Power tho

This is why I’m not against either if they leave and transfer . So who are the plenty defenders if we need to see how Foster and McCain are defensively ? I know scouting reports said McCain has improved on that side of the ball. I know we have Mitchell and Proctor who defend well. Roach is decent, Flips ok . Don’t know about Stewart or Powers . Young would be the same as flip against athletic front court players simply ok . Blakes we know can defend on the ball . Haven’t seen enough of Schutt or Reeves although I do think Reeves could be a good defender .
If our backup guards can find their way defensively, then I'm great! This is where Jon can get players to believe in the mission.

How so ? The only thing I said was his defense would get him minutes . Never said how many or over who .
So to end this back and forth, do you think Blakes will get more minutes in the guard rotation over Proctor, Roach, McCain or foster? Only 40 minutes to go around

So to end this back and forth, do you think Blakes will get more minutes in the guard rotation over Proctor, Roach, McCain or foster? Only 40 minutes to go around
Who stays healthy is the real question? Blake would've gotten bigger minutes then Jacob had he stayed healthy.

Who stays healthy is the real question? Blake would've gotten bigger minutes then Jacob had he stayed healthy.
Maybe so, but I just don't see him getting meaningful minutes behind the four I just mentioned. I'd be shocked to see him get more than 7-8 minutes a game.

Reactions: jamsession3
Maybe so, but I just don't see him getting meaningful minutes behind the four I just mentioned. I'd be shocked to see him get more than 7-8 minutes a game.
I get your point, but the kid is tough. If he is outplaying the freshman in practice, he plays. The issue is what was told to the freshman to come to Duke!

One thing is for sure. Young and Blakes will outplay everyone in the first scrimmage. Chaos will ensue. The vets seem to have the advantage early on. I remember Tape looking better than Williams the first scrimmage. And Baker raining 3's.

Last edited:
What back and forth ? That’s you I’m simply saying that Blakes will find some minutes off his defense . Foster can go to the sf spot in a three guard line up . Why do you continue to say more minutes over the other four guards ? I simply said he will get some minutes .
Do you really think if Jon wants some players back in 24/25 he won’t find minutes for a sophomore and Junior guard ? There is nothing locked in that Foster and McCain return after this season .

What back and forth ? That’s you I’m simply saying that Blakes will find some minutes off his defense . Foster can go to the sf spot in a three guard line up . Why do you continue to say more minutes over the other four guards ? I simply said he will get some minutes .
Do you really think if Jon wants some players back in 24/25 he won’t find minutes for a sophomore and Junior guard ? There is nothing locked in that Foster and McCain return after this season .
The four other guards will get more minutes than Blakes and to think any different is foolish. I like Blakes, and appreciate that he seems like a team guy, but he is a 3-4 mpg player this year.

Reactions: timo0402
While it may not be locked in that Foster and McCain are back for year two, both were recruited to be here multiple years.

I’m not trying to pick on Blakes, but he’s getting mop up minutes if all things are equal (injuries). He won’t be alone- Schutt, Power, Reeves, are in this group, with only Reeves having the opportunity to get into the rotation as all he needs to do is beat out Young.I predict by mid year Reeves does so and gets 10-12mpg after mid January. But for Blakes and Schutt I don’t see them beating out McCain or Foster and certainly not Roach or Proctor.

While it may not be locked in that Foster and McCain are back for year two, both were recruited to be here multiple years.

I’m not trying to pick on Blakes, but he’s getting mop up minutes if all things are equal (injuries). He won’t be alone- Schutt, Power, Reeves, are in this group, with only Reeves having the opportunity to get into the rotation as all he needs to do is beat out Young.I predict by mid year Reeves does so and gets 10-12mpg after mid January. But for Blakes and Schutt I don’t see them beating out McCain or Foster and certainly not Roach or Proctor.
Don’t think Power is in that group. I think he’ll be a solid contributor

Reactions: bubby1

Tim, I can definitely appreciate your analysis of the guard rotation. The defensive end will be the determining factor. Creating your own shot is essential, but taking the ball from your opponent and getting a shot is just as necessary. McCain and Foster have talent, but will it show at the college level? Time will tell.

I agree about Power being a year away. He is being hyped up by some as a possible starter but it's a crowded frontcourt (and on the wings). That said I was wrong about Flip not being ready last year. Power does look good though; he has some Singler to his game. if he can hit shots he may get minutes off the bench, but minutes may be hard to come by.

Reactions: Devilinside
The four other guards will get more minutes than Blakes and to think any different is foolish. I like Blakes, and appreciate that he seems like a team guy, but he is a 3-4 mpg player this year.
And once again is that not minutes . Never said he would get 7 to 10 . Never even gave him a number amount just simply that he would get some minutes . 3-4 will probably be fine with him as long as he’s not spending every game of his junior season riding the bench .

But so we’re others that left early for the draft or simply transferred . Like I said in my other reply . I think 3-4 minutes is fine for Blakes .

But so we’re others that left early for the draft or simply transferred . Like I said in my other reply . I think 3-4 minutes is fine for Blakes .
I mean sure, 3-4 min is essentially nothing haha. He averaged that his freshman year. He will have many DNPs so his 3-4mpg is easily attainable. But there’s a huge difference in- “earning minutes off his defense,” and “he will find 3-4mpg,” which is essentially mop up duty status.

Torvik's site has a rostercast feature where you can add transfers to the current team and see the 2024 projections.

Adding Udeh puts Duke projected at 6th in adjusted offensive efficiency, 4th in adjusted defensive efficiency, and 2nd in the overall rankings (Behind Kansas).

And once again is that not minutes . Never said he would get 7 to 10 . Never even gave him a number amount just simply that he would get some minutes . 3-4 will probably be fine with him as long as he’s not spending every game of his junior season riding the bench .
Yeah i think his hustle gets him some type of burn, but he's the odd man out of the guard rotation. I like the kid though.

I think Schutt/Blakes will at least get a CHANCE for some burn when we go to our three guard offense. I see Schutt getting a little more PT than Blakes.

I really think Jon is changing the way we recruit somewhat. I don't think he is simply going to roll the 5 star freshmen phenoms out there unless they are ready. Practice counts!

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
This is kind a of make or break year for Blakes. He looked really good early in the year, then fell off a cliff after breaking his nose. He looked out of sorts after that. I like the kid; he's a great program guy, but that is one crowded backcourt. My guess is Schutt surpasses him.

Last edited:
Yeah i think his hustle gets him some type of burn, but he's the odd man out of the guard rotation. I like the kid though.
Yeah I don’t see him starting but you got to give the kid credit for simply staying( no I don’t mean give him minutes because of that ) . He improved last season until the mask incident especially on the defensive end . I just like the kid and the hustle he brings .

I mean sure, 3-4 min is essentially nothing haha. He averaged that his freshman year. He will have many DNPs so his 3-4mpg is easily attainable. But there’s a huge difference in- “earning minutes off his defense,” and “he will find 3-4mpg,” which is essentially mop up duty status.
I mean sure it is but it’s still minutes . Kid could have left .

Reactions: hart2chesson
When a guy averages 3-4 mpg, he’s actually averaging 0 mpg in games that matter. Last season: Reeves averaged 3.2 mpg and Catchings 3.3. Those are obviously coming from our blow out games against inferior opponents.

I’m glad Blakes is seemingly sticking around. Last year, when we were sloppy against bad teams, Blakes would come in and force turnovers leading to scores which gets the crowd fired up.

He’s gonna be 5th or 6th in the guard rotation (depending on him and Schutt) so I just don’t see any real minutes available for him. Wouldn’t fault him at all if he decided to move on somewhere else, especially if Foster and McCain are back as sophomores.

I see Blakes and Schutt as situational players next season. Neither will get much playing time in general, but I feel like if we need as many shooters on the floor as we can get, then I see Scheyer putting Schutt in to help space the floor and knock down some threes. Maybe if someone plays a zone against us and we're having trouble breaking it. I can also see Blakes being used as a defensive stalwart. If a team has a guard who is just torching everyone else, maybe Scheyer brings him in as a change-of-pace and hopes he can get us some momentum.

I see both of these guys as very specific role-players, but I don't think they get many minutes overall.

A push for McCain. Anyone old enough here to remember "The Rifleman," starring Lucas McCain as Chuck Connors. Man could spray lead ON TARGET from long range!!!

Our own Jared McCain is earning quite the rep, as a deadly Duke trey target. Is it enough to vault him forward as the 5th starter??

OFC

A push for McCain. Anyone old enough here to remember "The Rifleman," starring Lucas McCain as Chuck Connors. Man could spray lead ON TARGET from long range!!!

Our own Jared McCain is earning quite the rep, as a deadly Duke trey target. Is it enough to vault him forward as the 5th starter??

OFC
It's difficult for me to trust Flip's post defense. I get starting McCain for shooting purposes and possibly what was promised. I just do not want Flip in early foul trouble.

Last edited:
I think it’s obvious that our best lineup will be 3 guards with Mitchell at the 4 and Flip at the 5. The question is:how long can we play that lineup?

The answer depends on Flip. How much stronger will he be? Will he be in peak athletic shape in November? The guy is a 7-footer, so in theory, he should be able to play the 5 for a descent amount of time.

Certain matchups can cause problems for him. But in 2023, there are a lot less Armando Bacots out there playing college basketball than there used to be.

I think it’s obvious that our best lineup will be 3 guards with Mitchell at the 4 and Flip at the 5. The question is:how long can we play that lineup?

The answer depends on Flip. How much stronger will he be? Will he be in peak athletic shape in November? The guy is a 7-footer, so in theory, he should be able to play the 5 for a descent amount of time.

Certain matchups can cause problems for him. But in 2023, there are a lot less Armando Bacots out there playing college basketball than there used to be.
Teams also need to be able to match up with Flip. He's not the rim protector Lively is but he's miles better offensively. He butchered Bacot in the second match-up and despite have cheap shot after cheap shot from Tennesee he still banged with them. He's tough as **** and while I understand wanting to keep him out of foul trouble I don't think he'll have too.many issues at the 5.

I once believed that, but with the NIL and extra COVID year, that may not be a reality. There are more big 6'9 to 7ft centers playing College Basketball then we may think. If those BIGs have weight, they will be able to push Flip around. If they are athletic, that becomes another issue. I get it, the causal fan wants to see shooting and an open offense. There will be moments in the season teams may play bully ball. I just want us prepared.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Teams also need to be able to match up with Flip. He's not the rim protector Lively is but he's miles better offensively. He butchered Bacot in the second match-up and despite have cheap shot after cheap shot from Tennesee he still banged with them. He's tough as **** and while I understand wanting to keep him out of foul trouble I don't think he'll have too.many issues at the 5.
I can see that. Here's another thought, rebounding. If our shot isn't falling, do you want Flip to be the primary rebounder? His double - doubles last season was based on less pressure to perform with Lively and Young sharing minutes at the 5.

I can see that. Here's another thought, rebounding. If our shot isn't falling, do you want Flip to be the primary rebounder? His double - doubles last season was based on less pressure to perform with Lively and Young sharing minutes at the 5.
I'm fine with Flip bring our primary rebounder. He's going to be even more of a load for other teams to handle next year. I think Stewart is eventually going to step into a Lively esque role and as you mentioned we still have Young. And Mitchell and possibly Reeves.

Last edited:
Yeah according to this article he'll be even better at banging down low this year

"On the Devils Den Podcast, head coach Jon Scheyer was noted as saying that the ACC Rookie of the Year is at least two weeks ahead of schedule and that he is one of the strongest players on the team."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT