Mitchell
Flip

Or

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Stewart
Flip

With Stewart on the court you probably have better defense and rebounding but could struggle from 3 some nights

With McCain, you probably have better offense including three point shooting but could be questionable on defense and the boards.

It all remains to be seen. Nice to have that flexibility

Reactions: jamsession3
proctor
Roach
Mccain
Mitchell
Flip

Or

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Stewart
Flip

With Stewart on the court you probably have better defense and rebounding but could struggle from 3 some nights

With McCain, you probably have better offense including three point shooting but could be questionable on defense and the boards.

It all remains to be seen. Nice to have that flexibility
It's difficult for me to believe Young or Reeves won't start at the beginning of the season. As time moves on, one of these combinations may become a reality.

It's difficult for me to believe Young or Reeves won't start at the beginning of the season. As time moves on, one of these combinations may become a reality.

Agreed but if Duke is going to win it all, I don’t see Young or Reeves being the lineup going into the home stretch. As time moves on, like you said. Also, I agree. Probably see Young start
early on. But when we start playing the big dogs, not sure if he can stay in too long.

Agreed but if Duke is going to win it all, I don’t see Young or Reeves being the lineup going into the home stretch. As time moves on, like you said. Also, I agree. Probably see Young start
early on. But when we start playing the big dogs, not sure if he can stay in too long.
TRUTH... Development will be the sign of who starts, gets pt and on - court chemistry.

I think if it is a three guard lineup your going to have to add Foster or Schutt in there for their height and potential rebounding . They are both 6’4” - 6’5” ish and we will need guards coming off the bench that can impact the game as well . If Scheyer does go ten deep imagine starting a three guard line up of Proctor, Roach and Foster then coming off the bench with McCain, Blakes and Schutt. That bench rotation would wear down teams from trying to stop McCain from scoring, Schutt from shooting and Blakes locking down the other teams primary guard .

I think if it is a three guard lineup your going to have to add Foster or Schutt in there for their height and potential rebounding . They are both 6’4” - 6’5” ish and we will need guards coming off the bench that can impact the game as well . If Scheyer does go ten deep imagine starting a three guard line up of Proctor, Roach and Foster then coming off the bench with McCain, Blakes and Schutt. That bench rotation would wear down teams from trying to stop McCain from scoring, Schutt from shooting and Blakes locking down the other teams primary guard .
Perimeter Defense is a conversation we have not talked about enough. I believe with Roach, Proctor and Flip coming back that is 50 points on any given night. What needs to be address is making sure the other team don't give us 50 plus points, particularly on the perimeter.

If we use a 3 guard lineup, it’s probably to match what the opponent is doing.

Proctor and Blakes are exceptional perimeter defenders.

Roach has improved each season defensively.

Schutt’s defense was keeping him on the bench last season, hopefully he has improved in that area.

I have no idea on Foster’s and McCain’s defensive prowess.

McCain was said to be improved on the defensive side of the ball and I don’t know about Foster he was seen more as a scoring guard last year in high school .

We have 10 guys talked about for playing time. At least 2 of them won’t be playing much by the end of January.
I could be wrong, but unless several of the freshmen are weak, my money is on Schutt and Reeves.

We have 10 guys talked about for playing time. At least 2 of them won’t be playing much by the end of January.
I could be wrong, but unless several of the freshmen are weak, my money is on Schutt and Reeves.
Young is a fan favorite, so he will initially get PT in the beginning. It will come down to chemistry, need and healthy. Having 10 capable players is a Great Problem.

I believe the coaching staff believes they have 12 guys who can/will compete for minutes at least throughout the first couple of months throughout the season. This is solely based on the video by Duke Men’s Basketball where Coach Scheyer is talking to the team and he says somewhere along the lines, “we have 12 guys here who can all play, I want you guys to come here confident but not comfortable”, I may be reading too much into what Coach was saying, but I took it as, the competition is going to be fierce for minutes so don’t get complacent.

Imo (for sure minutes sans injury):
Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Young

Fighting for the rest of the minutes:
Blakes
McCain
Foster
Reeves
Stewart
Power
Schutt

Thankfully, there are some tough tests against Arizona, Michigan State, @ Arkansas, and vs Baylor. I agree with Mac that by the time conference season rolls around the rotation will be dwindled down. Hoping the rotation can be somewhere between 9-10, while giving the 11th and 12th guys minutes in blowout wins. Like shey said having multiple guys who can play is a great problem to have. This is the deepest Duke team since the 2010-2011 season.

Last edited:
I believe the coaching staff believes they have 12 guys who can/will compete for minutes at least throughout the first couple of months throughout the season. This is solely based on the video by Duke Men’s Basketball where Coach Scheyer is talking to the team and he says somewhere along the lines, “we have 12 guys here who can all play, I want you guys to come here confident but not comfortable”, I may be reading too much into what Coach was saying, but I took it as, the competition is going to be fierce for minutes so don’t get complacent.

Imo (for sure minutes sans injury):
Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Young

Fighting for the rest of the minutes:
Blakes
McCain
Foster
Reeves
Stewart
Power
Schutt

Thankfully, there are some tough tests against Arizona, Michigan State, @ Arkansas, and vs Baylor. I agree with Mac that by the time conference season rolls around the rotation will be dwindled down. Hoping the rotation can be somewhere between 9-10, while giving the 11th and 12th guys minutes in blowout wins. Like shey said have multiple guys who can play is a great problem to have. This is the deepest Duke team since the 2010-2011 season.
I think we know four starters for sure, duh. I think we can comfortably say Foster, McCain and Young will be regular rotation pieces all year long. I think we can also say it would be surprising if Stewart wasn’t a part of the rotation, but it’s no guarantee. So that leaves, Blake’s, Schutt, Power and Reeves for the available minutes and I could entertain arguments for all four, but I think power and reeves have the best chance at making an impact.

I've never seen a guy's stock drop after one scrimmage more than Power. :) He may still make an impact this year. But we are loaded on the wing.

There was a lot of Power buzz and now its Stewart buzz. They both should be good, maybe great by year 2. If we get 3 of the 4 freshman back that will be incredible. The future is bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
Caution: The buzz last year was that Flip wasn't ready for college ball after the first scrimmage. Maybe we should tap the breaks before deciding which which freshmen are ready to play in December or January.
But what would we talk about?

Fair point though about Flip, I’ll be the first to admit I thought it would take him some time to figure it out. Boy was I wrong on that one.

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
On the Ringers Mock Draft, I know it’s way too early, but IMO that usually has the most accurate predictions. They go in depth about each player too, worth the read.

Proctor 10
Foster 12
McCain 18
Flip 19

The point is..if these 2 freshman guards are as good as some think, than we have a massive glut of guards. I wouldn’t be surprised if the day 1 starting lineup is proctor, Roach, foster OR McCain, Mitchell, Flip.

IMO McCain makes sense as a starter for shooting and Foster is a little more explosive off the bounce, could be nice energy/change of pace off the bench.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/8/2/23817013/2024-nba-draft-rankings-big-board

Reactions: hart2chesson
To be fair that Ringer mock is the only one with Foster and McCain that high. They are on the NBA radar; I hear the scouts like their size.

Reactions: sheyduke
To be fair that Ringer mock is the only one with Foster and McCain that high. They are on the NBA radar; I hear the scouts like their size.
This is also why I say don’t put too much stock in the multi year player talk about Foster and McCain. The 24’ draft is so weak a lot of players unexpected will leave for the league .

The way Scheyer is not recruiting guards for 2024, except for Harper who we probably won't get, he must expect that 3 or Schutt, Blakes, McClain and Foster are coming back. I mean, McClain will make more money from NIL and his TikTok account in college than he will as a rookie if he goes high 2nd/low 1st round in the draft.

The way Scheyer is not recruiting guards for 2024, except for Harper who we probably won't get, he must expect that 3 or Schutt, Blakes, McClain and Foster are coming back. I mean, McClain will make more money from NIL and his TikTok account in college than he will as a rookie if he goes high 2nd/low 1st round in the draft.
Yes to this.

Spot on Jam. Scheyer relates well to these kids. The players signing on to play for Duke like the pitch Scheyer is envisioning for each of them.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Stewart emerging as top candidate as fifth starter:

OFC
It’s just hard to take this article seriously. It’s ONE 5-5 with not everyone healthy……

Let’s keep in mind that there are people saying UK had their best team ever, and in all of basketball, after a handful of international intramural games…..

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
It’s just hard to take this article seriously. It’s ONE 5-5 with not everyone healthy……

Let’s keep in mind that there are people saying UK had their best team ever, and in all of basketball, after a handful of international intramural games…..
I take it enthusiastically. Why take a pessimistic approach? OFC

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
I take it enthusiastically. Why take a pessimistic approach? OFC
Pessimistic? Or just realistic? I’m not knocking you posting it, I just can’t take it seriously. There was little defense played, and some guys were playing at maybe 70% speed.

Pessimistic? Or just realistic? I’m not knocking you posting it, I just can’t take it seriously. There was little defense played, and some guys were playing at maybe 70% speed.
Fourteen I understand your views, no problem. I do agree though with @christophero about Stewart's solid play. He may indeed be the 5th starter.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT