ADVERTISEMENT

Carter’s mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is right about a lot of that stuff. The idea of leaving the NCAA has been thrown out there as well for the power conferences to then just form some other entity to govern college athletics. I think the amount of work that goes into being a college athlete is astounding. College basketball specifically funds the NCAA to run all of their championships. It is absurd that we are still being force fed this garbage about, “well they’re getting this free education.” Yes, that’s nice but it fails to address her main point which is ok but what about when they leave? I think Duke does a great job of taking care of their own, but overall i don’t know that it works that way everywhere. How about when they graduate? How will you set up your former players- how will you connect them with the right people, how will you set them up to succeed beyond the university walls. The value in a network like Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard is obvious, but what about UMBC, Florida Atlantic etc. how do they take care of their guys? I could go on and on about this topic but something needs to be done for players, especially basketball at the D1 level, bc it is so unique compared to the other sports, including football. I don’t have all of the answers but i know what was suggested by the committee that Condi Rice is on got it absolutely wrong. That isn’t fixing anything. And finally, maybe Carters Mom did genuinely want him to return to school- after all she’s talking about education here in this speech. However from a pure business standpoint it was a no brainer to leave.

She is right about a lot of that stuff. The idea of leaving the NCAA has been thrown out there as well for the power conferences to then just form some other entity to govern college athletics. I think the amount of work that goes into being a college athlete is astounding. College basketball specifically funds the NCAA to run all of their championships. It is absurd that we are still being force fed this garbage about, “well they’re getting this free education.” Yes, that’s nice but it fails to address her main point which is ok but what about when they leave? I think Duke does a great job of taking care of their own, but overall i don’t know that it works that way everywhere. How about when they graduate? How will you set up your former players- how will you connect them with the right people, how will you set them up to succeed beyond the university walls. The value in a network like Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard is obvious, but what about UMBC, Florida Atlantic etc. how do they take care of their guys? I could go on and on about this topic but something needs to be done for players, especially basketball at the D1 level, bc it is so unique compared to the other sports, including football. I don’t have all of the answers but i know what was suggested by the committee that Condi Rice is on got it absolutely wrong. That isn’t fixing anything. And finally, maybe Carters Mom did genuinely want him to return to school- after all she’s talking about education here in this speech. However from a pure business standpoint it was a no brainer to leave.
Shes right about nothing when the word slavery is used imo .....

Shes right about nothing when the word slavery is used imo .....
I think comparing anything to slavery really undermines and deminishes how brutal slavery really is. Having said that, if that is all you take from her speech then that is on the reader. I don’t care for that comparison nor everything she said, but she did make a lot of fair points.

I understand your viewpoint on the article. But the comparison to slavery wasn’t needed in my opinion. It was a very horrible thing that happened in the past to people who had no option but to suffer through animal treatment. Carter had the G league and overseas as an option to avoid the business model of the NCAA if he chose to.

I think comparing anything to slavery really undermines and deminishes how brutal slavery really is. Having said that, if that is all you take from her speech then that is on the reader. I don’t care for that comparison nor everything she said, but she did make a lot of fair points.
Yea that 99% of the population already knows . That’s fine. She just had to throw in the white black slavery crap and ruin it. Guess the leagues racist.(I stand corrected after mustering the courage of reading it all...it’s all horrible! Lmao)

Last edited:
Her act is worn out....She talked of Wendell possibly returning, and then goes on a hypocritical rant today. She should be thankful K stood by her when she reached out to him for lunching with an agent. I love Wendell, great kid- but Mrs. Carter don't let the door hit ya on your way out....

Personally, I am not going to read it because she used slavery as a comparison. By doing that, she didn't only undermine and diminish the brutality of slavery, she destroyed any point that she may have had.

I understand your viewpoint on the article. But the comparison to slavery wasn’t needed in my opinion. It was a very horrible thing that happened in the past to people who had no option but to suffer through animal treatment. Carter had the G league and overseas as an option to avoid the business model of the NCAA if he chose to.
What do you mean they had "no option?" Didn't you hear that Kanye West said slavery sounded like a "choice" to him.o_O
OFC

Her act is worn out....She talked of Wendell possibly returning, and then goes on a hypocritical rant today. She should be thankful K stood by her when she reached out to him for lunching with an agent. I love Wendell, great kid- but Mrs. Carter don't let the door hit ya on your way out....
Duke could have made more money if he hadn't played so soft against Kansas

Personally, I am not going to read it because she used slavery as a comparison. By doing that, she didn't only undermine and diminish the brutality of slavery, she destroyed any point that she may have had.
Trust me it’s not worth it. It’s her usuall mumble jumble. Scratching my eye balls out the whole time I concered finishing it.

I’m really doubting that she ever had any intentions of her son returning...the only thing that talks louder than Mrs. Carter is money

Not saying I disagree with her points but the moment you use slavery as the benchmark? Idiocy.

Gotta say... that’s a Duke Mom. One of ours. As a Duke guy, I think there is a certain amount of decency and loyalty that comes with that. A bit surprised at how some folks have reacted.

Reactions: dbav and jwill133
Just a bunch of crap flying out of her mouth. I really like the way Wendell played. If she wants to be mad at anybody, be mad at K. He supposedly told her son he would be the focal point until Marvin came late last summer. So sound off on how K may have hurt his production, and being a higher 1st round pick, and possibly costing him millions.

When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery."

How about the $50,000 worth of education? I don't know of too many people with a high school diploma who start out with a benefits package that is close to $60,000.

And by the way, the team made the money, not the player himself....Duke would have made plenty of money with or without Wendell Carter. No one player is bigger than the team.

In fact, we would have made more if he had not air-balled a two-foot chippy in the elite 8...But I digress.

Maybe this kid should have just gone to Harvard. I like him, but his mother sounds like a real pill.

She’s definitely not afraid to speak her mind. I’ll give her credit there.

Using the word slavery causes some of her speech to lose its substance, IMO. Most of her points, if we’re being honest, I think hit the nail on the head. The NCAA doesn’t care about its student-athletes....it’s a fraudulent organization. The NCAA going away is something good for everyone.

I get the point that she’s trying to make, but using that terminology was an airball.

Using the word slavery causes some of her speech to lose its substance, IMO. Most of her points, if we’re being honest, I think hit the nail on the head. The NCAA doesn’t care about its student-athletes....it’s a fraudulent organization. The NCAA going away is something good for everyone.

I get the point that she’s trying to make, but using that terminology was an airball.

Airball? Like mother, like son :)

Sorry, as a lifelong Duke, it even hurts me making that joke.

Reactions: germantondevil
When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery."

How about the $50,000 worth of education? I don't know of too many people with a high school diploma who start out with a benefits package that is close to $60,000.

And by the way, the team made the money, not the player himself....Duke would have made plenty of money with or without Wendell Carter. No one player is bigger than the team.

In fact, we would have made more if he had not air-balled a two-foot chippy in the elite 8...But I digress.

Maybe this kid should have just gone to Harvard. I like him, but his mother sounds like a real pill.

Not to mention the coaching and training WC received and getting to play against better competition. All of which has better prepared him to succeed earlier at the next level. The relationships, friendships and connections he built are priceless, but the 6 months mom had to wait to buy an Escalade means it was a waste of time......at least to her. Pure ignorance.

Gotta say... that’s a Duke Mom. One of ours. As a Duke guy, I think there is a certain amount of decency and loyalty that comes with that. A bit surprised at how some folks have reacted.
I am not feeding her to the wolves or anything like that. But being a mother of a OAD Duke player doesn't give her a pass to say outlandish shit.

This may be opening a can of worms, but let's go down this hypothetical trail through the woods. What if Grayson Allen's mother compared being a college athlete to slavery? When the outrage comes pouring down on her, would you say people were missing the forest for the trees?

Not to mention the coaching and training WC received and getting to play against better competition. All of which has better prepared him to succeed earlier at the next level. The relationships, friendships and connections he built are priceless, but the 6 months mom had to wait to buy an Escalade means it was a waste of time......at least to her. Pure ignorance.
I agree the whole 6 months experience is more than basketball. I think sometimes it's best for parents to just take a step back.

Although there is no arguing that the NCAA is useless, exploitative garbage, it also is the biggest showcase for these kids to show out. All these parents and agents want exposure for their kids/clients. They get it in spades......and every week, by playing college ball at any major college program.

They're not getting used, they just aren't getting everything they want, when they want it.

Reactions: Wolfman2610
Go to the damn G league if it’s that big of an issue.

No one forced a kid to go to college! They can go over seas play for a year or go to the G league.

The only arguement here. The kids and parents rather have the ten million three year rookie contract then the fifty thousand G league or million dollar over seas contract while the kid waits to get drafted. It just just isn’t the NCAA making money on these kids. The parents can’t wait for the Bentley’s and mansions and pay day. Point being don’t pay players. If the kids who believe they belong in the league don’t want college go to the other two mentioned leagues for a year. The reason they don’t is because both of the other two leagues will show their weaknesses a lot worse then college. Let the players who want the free education and don’t want to bolt after a year have their space.

This arguement has become old and the only true fact about it all is that it’s all about money . Not an education, not talent , not the player it’s just simply about money

God forbid we have a reasonable approach to this. Duke forum here, folks.

NCAA basketball has been around a long time, why are thing just now becoming about money. Are high school kids gonna start wanting it next?

They do make our school millions and millions of dollars. Why is everyone else entitled to be rich off of the backs of these kids while their families still struggle with bills. It doesn’t cost the fan anything for the players to get a cut of what they bring in. The only people who would lose money is the corrupt and incompetent NCAA.

Reactions: dbav
Slavery is one of those over used words and/or phrases that loses it's meaning a little more each time someone uses it in the wrong context. "Racist" would be another example that is used far too much. I can kinda see where her frustrations are coming from, but when she was hoping on some level he would come back to Duke, her argument kinda falls flat at that point.

Although there is no arguing that the NCAA is useless, exploitative garbage, it also is the biggest showcase for these kids to show out. All these parents and agents want exposure for their kids/clients. They get it in spades......and every week, by playing college ball at any major college program.

They're not getting used, they just aren't getting everything they want, when they want it.

“We’re not using you, but if you want to help your career you have to make us millions of dollars for free”.

I’d say they’re still getting used

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT