ADVERTISEMENT

Can this team be a contender?

I will be happy with an ACC Title, regular and postseason. National Championship is wishful thinking if i am being honest. A nice run to the Elite 8 would be nice.

If Stewart becomes Lance Thomas, starts next to Flip and Mitchell and then Roach and McCain become Bibby and Miles Simon then we have a chance. Lol

Chris, I know you will appreciate this analogy, “the men’s college basketball season is a Marathon not a sprint.”

Some of Duke’s most recent teams started off great in November, but never improved in the later part of the season.

I think the majority of us want The Blue Devils finding “the extra gear” here sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I really want to get a split with UNC. The discouraging thing about the first game is they just seemed better than us. But things can change. They are not consistent, as evidenced by the 2 losses since they played us. As I mentioned they seemed a lot looser, which is a very important aspect of basketball which is not discussed a lot. They were certainly getting easier shots than us, which is crucial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Blu
I really want to get a split with UNC. The discouraging thing about the first game is they just seemed better than us. But things can change. They are not consistent, as evidenced by the 2 losses since they played us. As I mentioned they seemed a lot looser, which is a very important aspect of basketball which is not discussed a lot. They were certainly getting easier shots than us, which is crucial.
We really can’t lose another home game. We have already lost 2. Outside of the COVID season, when have we ever lost 3 home games in a season? Take care of business at home, go 2-1 over this 3 game road stretch, and we could very well end up a 2 seed.

UNC isn’t a great matchup for us IMO due to Bacot’s size. Ingram didn’t hit all of those 3s in the first game because he’s some unbelievable player, he got wide open 3s because we had to double Bacot every time due to our lack of size. Let’s hope Jon has a much better game plan cooked up.

Ingram won’t shoot that well against Duke again and Ryan is a turnover machine. Would love to see Scheyer pressure the heck out of unc’s guards in the 2nd matchup. Also, Cadeu’s strength is getting to the lane but he is a very weak shooter, just keep him out of the paint and if he gets to the paint force him to take contested layups

If Foster starts having big offensive games that would be a big boost. A guy like that getting hot in the tournament could spark a run.
I agree . Building a bench of Foster, Stewart, Blakes and Young would be a big help . Especially for Flip and Mark .
Stewart is the real key imo. He’s so raw though at this level of play but you can just see his potential.

I agree anything can happen but most likely Duke flames out like last year, round of 32, maybe Sweet 16 depending on matchup. Duke needs everybody playing well to advance far. Haven’t had that lately. It’s too bad, but the shots could start falling .

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think some of the negativity (not just on this board) may be carry over from last year. Hopefully we learn our lessons, but this year feels a lot like last year so far. We should do better than a 5 seed; which helps. We just need to handle our business and get a good seed. Win 2 of our next 3 and we are fine.

Last edited:
This board is up in their feels my goodness. We’ve got the talent to make a run. We are 19-5, and control our own destiny in the ACC. Doesn’t mean we are guaranteed to win anything but it’s there for the taking. Not something we could say after the unc letdown. Flip and Mark are playing better. Today will be a huge test for them. Let’s Go Duke!

If Stewart becomes Lance Thomas, starts next to Flip and Mitchell and then Roach and McCain become Bibby and Miles Simon then we have a chance. Lol
Perhaps we do have Bibby and Simon. Now we need a 6’9 forward who is not afraid to do the dirty work.

I still say No . Flip with only eight points says it all .

McCain played great and scored out his mind but at what point does this team put it altogether?

McCain played great and scored out his mind but at what point does this team put it altogether?
This is an L and defeatist take Shey. I just don’t get the negativity. Are we perfect? No of course not, but I think this was a huge and gritty win. Take the dub. We were a man down, our team responded.

flip didn’t have his best game offensively, I’ll give you that. Defensively I thought he and Mark played well.

Overall, I’m really proud of this team. I think we showed a lot of grit winning this game without our starting PG on the road. This will be a tough three game road stretch and we are 1-0 now. Let’s be positive.

This is an L and defeatist take Shey. I just don’t get the negativity. Are we perfect? No of course not, but I think this was a huge and gritty win. Take the dub. We were a man down, our team responded.

flip didn’t have his best game offensively, I’ll give you that. Defensively I thought he and Mark played well.

Overall, I’m really proud of this team. I think we showed a lot of grit winning this game without our starting PG on the road. This will be a tough three game road stretch and we are 1-0 now. Let’s be positive.
But if we are a man down has Proctor really played his “ A” game yet ? Has he played like we thought he would as a sophomore?
Timo , you know I have nothing but respect for you and your knowledge but do you really see this team peaking with Flip ? Has he shown any progress from frosh to sophomore ?
He can not handle size in the paint and he can’t handle equivalent size on defense .
I’m not dogging the young man but eight points does not show he’s ready for the next level .

Reactions: jeffrey236
Flip may be the most hated Duke player I can remember in a long time by our fan base. I still have all the faith in the world in the kid.

Flip may be the most hated Duke player I can remember in a long time by our fan base. I still have all the faith in the world in the kid.
Jimbo I really felt embarrassed for the kid after reading the barrage of insults hurled toward him on social media. Whether he reads it or not(pray he doesnt), he's bound to hear about it.

Nonetheless, it's the nature of the territory. Plus in the new age of college play for pay, kids are going to have to expect harsh criticism from some fans.

Just purely looking at Kyle's play yesterday, six turnovers is not only disappointing, it's shocking. I actually consider Flip a good ballhandler and excellent passer.

Oh well it's in Jon's court(no pun intended), and Jon's pretty damn smart. There's still time for this entire team to be a force in March (and hopefully April). Not giving up, and thrilled about the McCain show yesterday!! OFC

Thanks for sharing timo. I think many fans forget at the end of the day these are still young men playing a sport at a high level who also have to juggle the other stresses of life whether it be something in their family life, relationship life with their loved one, school, etc.
And many are still teenagers. Whiners gonna whine, I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing timo. I think many fans forget at the end of the day these are still young men playing a sport at a high level who also have to juggle the other stresses of life whether it be something in their family life, relationship life with their loved one, school, etc.
I could agree with this two years ago but these are also young men making hundred of thousands because they chose to come to Duke and get paid from NIL. They knew of the pressure once they put on the Duke jersey.
Flip has started to remind me of Josh McRoberts in his final season for Duke.
Some need to remember as well that the game has changed and players are now being paid off their Name, Image and likeness so you can’t actually call them student athletes because they are actually receiving deals off how they are expected to play on the court .
I’m not whining I’m simply stating that Flip can play well against smaller players but can not against players of the same size or bigger .

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Blu
While there is no need for the vitriol, you can be plenty critical without it, it’s not realistic to treat these players as “kids” either. As @sheyduke just mentioned, these players, especially those at Flip’s level are professionals at this point. These aren’t your regular students who are trying to juggle Calculus and work a part time job to pay for classes or daily living expenses. The pressures and stressors they have are what they signed up for and it doesn’t get any easier if they are lucky enough to continue in this line of work beyond college.

Reactions: sheyduke
I know at 19 yrs. old I had trouble dealing with classwork and getting a date, let alone competing in front of 15,000 people and knowing that many times that number would be dissecting every move I make.

Also, we don't know which of these players are a little ill, or have a sick family member, etc.

This is really hard to remember when you're yelling at a TV screen because Flip spun into a triple team or Proctor let a guy go back door on him. I have to be a better person.

I'm not sure what was said on twitter, but I haven't seen anyone on here be that disrespectful. (Go to Duke Forum your head would explode). Flip is important for us, no doubt and we'd be sunk without him. But to say a guy who makes half a million in NIL(probably more) and is preparing for the draft this spring needs to play better for us to make a deep run is not disrespectful. Shey was respectful about it. These guys are paid big bucks; so it's a different game now. Toxic fans saying so and so sucks, etc. is unacceptable I agree. Young was really singled out earlier in the year on twitter. I have tried to avoid knee jerk in game reactions but I have been guilty of it for sure. Players come to Duke for the attention; but that is a double edged sword. As for this year, The silver lining is we have been winning while we have a lot of room to improve.

Last edited:
All I’m saying is all of us as humans go through our own stressors (such as a sick family member, the loss of a loved one, etc), it’s normal for any of us to be “off” on occasion. If you do not have any stressors ever, I envy your lifestyle. Just because one may earn more money than the average person does not mean they are immune to having stressors in their lives.

I can (sort of) see how people who contribute their own hard-earned cash to an NIL fund might gripe about their return on investment. But if you're not contributing any money, you are just a free rider.

Flip is probably the most critiqued star Duke has had in a while, especially given his stats are pretty solid. We’d all probably like to see him clean up his game a little.

We’ve had stars in the past though that could score, but that’s all they wanted to do. The team didn’t benefit.

That ain’t Flip. He hustles, and is an unselfish teammate.

We are 20 and 5, a 2/3 seed and relatively healthy. I am happy with the season and think we can make a run if we improve.
Well said Chris, I agree 100%! There are literally hundreds of NCAA teams who would kill to be in our position right now. Stay healthy, and I really believe anything is possible. Probable??? Maybe not. But yes, possible for certain!

I’m not being harsh . If what I said is wrong show it on the court . The kid that plays center for Miami will be another good test for Flip .
I know Duke would not be where they are this season without Flip but I also know some of those close wins wouldn’t have been close if Flip played to his skill level .
As far as the pressure all these kids say they come to Duke knowing what all comes with it including the pressure to play well .

Are we forgetting that Flip took 7 shots? Hey my Dad is also the most critical of Flip, and I do think that he is going to struggle with size and length, but an honest look at the game saw him face some double teams that he was cavalier about passing out of, and a kid that was on fire that the rest of the team ended up watching. Bacot left Tallahassee with 5 points. If FSU had any real wing play, they would be a different team. This Duke team is flying under the radar, has a budding star, but really, this team will go as far as Proctor takes us in March. I think Jared, Flip, Mark, and Flip will be solid against almost anyone, but to win a big one the Aussie needs to be in the 13 and 6 range.

I feel like now it goes like this-

UConn-
purdue

Everyone else

Purdue won’t win it all and neither will Tennessee although (to me) they should both be in the final four coaching will prevent it for both.

I was talking to my dad today and for as much of a “complaining” season we’ve had we sit with 20 wins, .5 games behind the ACC leader WITH them coming to our place to end the season. Win the games we should and we’ll have 25 wins going into the Carolina game, win that and the ACC tourney we likely hit 30 wins on the year.. insane really. I think expectations hurt this team more than anything but we absolutely can still make a run.

As of today, I think only UConn and Houston are better than Duke. We have the potential to be as good as them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
I don't remember a non top 3 seed Duke team ever making a deep run, at least since 90. Maybe we did. Seems like getting a top 3 seed is important. If you are a 4 you could get a really good team in the sweet 16. We do seem to be improving, but I am still scarred by the UNC game. Split with them and we will get a good seed. Right now they have us as a 3. Even if we split the next 2 we should still be a 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeMan1986
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT