ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden Tatum Giles

No he didn't
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression he was a silent commit to duke before the knee injury then publicly committed after. I think I'm right because he announced he was going to commit, then got injured, then still committed on the date intended like a week after his injury.

Schools don't go by when athletes commit publicly, they go by when they commit to the head coach which I believe was before the injury.

Ahh ok.. Publicly he didn't. In private sure he could of but idk that and I got a sneaky feeling you don't either lol. It doesn't matter though i still feel like if he's healthy(which he should be) and he doesn't play we as a university were played

Guys look at states Dennis smith he tore his acl couple months before Giles , he looks great, been playing since June. Don't understand all this talk about Harry not playing, it usually takes 1 year to get over it.

Reactions: pisgah101
Free Medical care and education and didn't provide anything to the university. If he doesn't play and he leaves then he took a roster spot that some other recruit could of had(not that we would of for sure filled it) I think he plays though this is just if he doesn't..

I don't see how this could be considered "using Duke" regardless.

1. There's no way Giles knew he would not play. In fact, he was already a Duke lean before he got injured his senior season. I'm sure he thought it would be beneficial to get the Duke medical department working on his knee recovery. But, that was with the intention of playing for Duke and he was, in fact, on the court before his knee swelled up and needed another procedure. Both Duke and Giles expected him to play this year. And my guess is they still do. But, either way it would not mean he "used Duke." To do that would be to come in with the intention of not playing. He's a basketball player, not some kid who wants to use up a school for a year while he sits on the bench.

2. He's not really getting an education (he's going to go to school for 1/2 a year to a year and who knows if he'll come back after he turns pro. He may; but many don't).

3. There are plenty of great medical spots in the country to get medical care. He could have gone basically anywhere and had orthopedic surgeon James Andrews (who has been in Birmingham for decades and worked on nearly every major athlete with an injury; but is now mostly in Pensacola; college and pro athletes from all over the country go to him). He's among the best in the world. There was no preventing his getting great medical care by going somewhere else besides Duke.

4. Giles also had a positive impact on Bolden coming to Duke.

I don't think there's any way to color Giles in any negative way - there than the fact that these injuries have been a run of really bad fortune.

These injuries are very disappointing and will be more so if someone doesn't play all year; but a) the season is just getting started so we really don't know the outcome injury wise; and b) it's also just how life is. None of these kids want to be injured so they can't be viewed as "using" anyone. Sean Obi has actually gained an education and he's been injured most of the time here. It certainly did not play out the way he wanted it to but I don't think there is any way to categorize his or Giles as one who "used Duke."

I think I saw an article somewhere that said K said that Duke would honor his offer (after the second knee injury) and Giles committed the next day. Not sure of the timing relative to when he said he would commit.

Ahh ok.. Publicly he didn't. In private sure he could of but idk that and I got a sneaky feeling you don't either lol. It doesn't matter though i still feel like if he's healthy(which he should be) and he doesn't play we as a university were played
I'm not 100% sure, but that is what I was told.

Reactions: pisgah101
Guys look at states Dennis smith he tore his acl couple months before Giles , he looks great, been playing since June. Don't understand all this talk about Harry not playing, it usually takes 1 year to get over it.

Yep, the only thing that complicated Harry's was that his other knee, the one he injured his soph year, was not rehabbed properly and they had to clean it up to make it even better. That set him back a bit but was the right thing because it will make it much better for him when he does come back. Harry was dominant his junior year coming off the ACL/MCL injury which was far worse than the one his senior year. He might surprise people this year. He did say he wants to prove the doubters wrong, I think he will.

I thought when they scoped Giles knee they said he would be out four weeks if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't that have him back for our next game? I may be wrong here, but seems like that was the time frame.

OFC

I thought when they scoped Giles knee they said he would be out four weeks if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't that have him back for our next game? I may be wrong here, but seems like that was the time frame.

OFC
I believe so

I think it was 6 weeks and I imagine it's not 6 weeks until he is able to play but 6 weeks until he is able to begin serious basketball activity like some drills with cuts maybe scrimmage

I thought I saw DH post that Giles and Tatum may be back for the Maine game. Honestly, if we get those guys back in December I'll be ecstatic.

I thought I saw DH post that Giles and Tatum may be back for the Maine game. Honestly, if we get those guys back in December I'll be ecstatic.

I'll clarify, I'm hopeful that they will be back by then. From the little bit I have heard, that is just a conservative estimate on my part. No definitive word. I have heard enough though to lead me to believe one or two of the 3 will be back in December.

Reactions: dbav
I'll clarify, I'm hopeful that they will be back by then. From the little bit I have heard, that is just a conservative estimate on my part. No definitive word. I have heard enough though to lead me to believe one or two of the 3 will be back in December.

Jesus Christ... one or two will be back in December? No chance of all three?

WTF. Wish we could just fast forward to the end of January. It is so irritating to watch so many guys sit, and with no information to boot.

Reactions: KellenPatrick

WTF. Wish we could just fast forward to the end of January. It is so irritating to watch so many guys sit, and with no information to boot.
Tell me about it! Lol

I guess I am negative but I have a feeling we will not see 2 of the 3 play in a game at Duke.
I think the possibility of money lost is the driving factor and that irritates me. As Bilas said last night "players want to play".

I guess I am negative but I have a feeling we will not see 2 of the 3 play in a game at Duke.
I think the possibility of money lost is the driving factor and that irritates me. As Bilas said last night "players want to play".
TO me basketball isn't football, more risk of losing money by not playing and getting drafted later. There's very few career threatening injuries in basketball. I'll say it again, kyrie made so much more money by coming back and playing and going #1. No way he goes #1 if he didn't come back and light it up.

I guess I am confused about this. Which 2 do you not think will play? I can see the argument for Giles sitting (though I do believe he plays to "improve" his draft position from where he would go if he sits the whole year), but would the other 2 sit if they can get back to mostly healthy - I don't think so. I think it is FAR more likely that all 3 play this year than it is that 2 of them sit.

With bigger guys, healing time is a little longer. I think I could be wrong here and we see all three back at once, but for now of them are fully participating in practice so it's a wait and see type of thing. The one or two is my ultra conservative hypothesis. I'd love to be wrong and see all three play by the time we hit December.

Reactions: youngman42
I think as freshmen in a very strong class with no tape from anything other than high school, their stock will be improved by coming back and playing well. Especially Giles.

What is the date of the Maine game?The schedule I have on my fridge doesn't show Maine.

OFC

K is taking his time and I'm glad. I think that is the smart thing to do.

My suspicion is that, unless there is some serious damage that we don't know about (e.g., Tatum's foot has a broken bone), all three will be back by January 1. And probably piece-meal. By early December it will be 8 weeks for Giles since surgery. Even if he just starts working out in early December (2 weeks later than the standard 6 week recovery period), he'll be good to go on the court by mid-late December.

The others should probably be healed near then as well. I'm still positive.

Reactions: denniden
I think kids are playing too much basketball too soon from a young age. Kids are playing all year around AAU and then season. By the time they get to college some of these kids have worn out joints and ligaments

Lol at 2 of the 3 not playing. I personally believe all 3 play and probably sooner than later. Giles is already practicing some so if he's that far along I don't see the other two not playing

Welcome back @Tim1515!

I don't know if having our three most talented kids out is best for the team. The lineup could evolve throughout the year without our guys being hurt. And as much gametime in as many situations as possible is vital for freshmen of all talent levels. I do get what you're saying, but 10 times out of 10 I'd rather have our guys ready to go.
Haha...thanks for the reply hokie. I've been around just don't post a whole lot, just a crazy busy schedule the past two years around this time. I watch most of my Duke games on tape delay anymore!

Reactions: dukehokie
I think kids are playing too much basketball too soon from a young age. Kids are playing all year around AAU and then season. By the time they get to college some of these kids have worn out joints and ligaments
I agree. My daughter played AAU since she was 9 and by the time she got to college she had no ligaments left in her ankle. But trying to unring the bell at this point is not going to work. The kids would probably be playing on the playground anyhow.

Amidst all of the talk about our big 3 coming back, I read articles like this that make me feel pretty good about the situation. There is no talk of "if" they come back but its all "when" they come back. And it does sound like it will be soon!

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Five-Takeaways-Kansas-77-Duke-75-49043325

from the article...

Luckily, unlike last season, there is help on the way as Coach Krzyzewksi and company will be adding Jayson Tatum, Marques Bolden, and Harry Giles to the roster in the coming days and weeks which will add rebounding, defense, and scoring. When they return, the big three will cure a lot of the problems Duke had to overcome against Kansas on Tuesday. What doesn’t need curing, however, is the fight this team seems to have. When Kansas pushed the lead to 10 with just over eight minutes remaining it seemed like the Blue Devils were done. Coach K said after the game that his team didn’t have a good look to it on the court or in the huddle. And then they fought back and tied the game with under 10 seconds left. Sure, they ultimately came up short, but having that kind of fight and showing the kind of character you’d expect from a group of upperclassmen who have been to the top of the college basketball world is invaluable when you also have elite talent. And there’s more on the way.

and...

When Giles, Tatum, and Bolden are back, each will command at least 25 minutes per night which will reduce minutes for some of the top six, but also will seemingly further reduce the already limited roles for the end of the rotation guys in tightly contested games.

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Just out of curiosity, did I see someone post that Giles has been practicing? I'm just curious as to the extent of that.

Thank you. I meant to add that I assumed it wasn't full contact, but if he is actually doing some non-contact drills, it seems like good news.

Reactions: denniden
Thank you. I meant to add that I assumed it wasn't full contact, but if he is actually doing some non-contact drills, it seems like good news.
Like it has been said by Coach K himself, these guys are not going to be rushed back. However I think you are correct, nothing but a good sign to hear Giles is on the court doing so work.

I think everyone pretty much knew Giles was going to Duke, but he didn't really get his "day" to make the announcement. The night he tore his ACL, K personally called him and said that no matter what Duke would honor their scholarship offer to him. The next day Harry announced he would attend Duke.

No matter what happens, it's my opinion that Harry in no way is or intended to "play" Duke. The scope job, while just a minor procedure, might have had a bit more impact on Giles and his family mentally than physically. They're being told by people that even if he doesn't play he will be a lottery pick. While I think they're listening just because it makes sense to listen, there's still nothing that suggests Harry won't play at Duke. In fact, I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

That just seems like more pessimism than being negative. There's nothing to suggest any of the three never play at Duke.

Yeah pessimism sounds about right. I'd put good money on all three playing.

Maybe some of the posters here have inside info that the rest of us haven't heard, but talk of all three being a long way off doesn't jive with what I have read elsewhere (beyond Coach K's statement that he will be conservative and not rush them back before they are definitely ready). I don't know with whom the St. Louis (Tatum's hometown) reporter (link below) talked--perhaps Tatum's family, old coach or someone else close to him, but he writes that Tatum and Bolden are very close and may play this weekend, while suggesting that Giles is probably still "weeks away". Maybe they won't play this weekend, but I would be surprised if Tatum, at least, isn't on the court in the next week or two. I don't know enough about Bolden's injury to hazard a guess. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0b4fe529-5d79-53cc-91f9-a7352573520c.html

Maybe some of the posters here have inside info that the rest of us haven't heard, but talk of all three being a long way off doesn't jive with what I have read elsewhere (beyond Coach K's statement that he will be conservative and not rush them back before they are definitely ready). I don't know with whom the St. Louis (Tatum's hometown) reporter (link below) talked--perhaps Tatum's family, old coach or someone else close to him, but he writes that Tatum and Bolden are very close and may play this weekend, while suggesting that Giles is probably still "weeks away". Maybe they won't play this weekend, but I would be surprised if Tatum, at least, isn't on the court in the next week or two. I don't know enough about Bolden's injury to hazard a guess. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0b4fe529-5d79-53cc-91f9-a7352573520c.html

To be fair, there is no actual information in that article other than what we've already heard. There are no new quotes or new information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT