ADVERTISEMENT

Whitehead having more surgery

jeffrey236

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2004
Simsbury CT

I wonder how this will affect his draft prospects. Even with the comment that he’ll be ready by the start of the NBA regular season, I’d think it may chill his status. I don’t think this is a Harry Giles situation, but this certainly hasn’t worked out how both he and all Duke fans would have liked.

Hope he gets well. Clearly he couldn't lift off this year but he played through it and never complained. This may actually help his draft status if they correct the issue. On one mock draft he was 4 a year ago, 20 now. So while he is still first round he has definitely fallen.

Reactions: youngman42
I read it was a very common and simple injury, doesn’t really affect you once you recover

I read it was a very common and simple injury, doesn’t really affect you once you recover
It is but can be a nuisance because of lack of blood flow/supply to the area, combined with it being under such weight load.

Reactions: christophero
I saw that 3 of the top 6 picks on a mock draft were G League guys. So it doesn't seem like going to the G League and then the draft affects your draft status negatively.

I saw that 3 of the top 6 picks on a mock draft were G League guys. So it doesn't seem like going to the G League and then the draft affects your draft status negatively.
Are they from overtime elite or gleague ignite ? I know the two twins from overtime elite are top pics

Yeah after the success gleague ignite and overtime elite had in last years draft I expected a lot of both teams players to enter however the players drafted last year aren’t exactly panning out except I think Green was his name for Houston .

Latest NBA Draft Room mock draft has Whitehead in the early second round. Yikes; he is not trending in the right direction. Wonder if the second surgery is giving teams pause. DaRon Holmes 40, Adem Bona 28. Nelson of North Dakota State is 76th; maybe he will return to the portal. Roach was 82. It says Timme is returning to Gonzaga, but that is the first I've heard of that.

Last edited:
Latest NBA Draft Room mock draft has Whitehead in the early second round. Yikes; he is not trending in the right direction. Wonder if the second surgery is giving teams pause. DaRon Holmes 40, Adem Bona 28. Nelson of North Dakota State is 76th; maybe he will return to the portal. Roach was 82. It says Timme is returning to Gonzaga, but that is the first I've heard of that.
Sad thing is whitehead could come back and become a top 10 next year but will now have to be on the wrong side and battle for a spot in the league

He will probably go in the 20's. But if he slides to the second round that will be a shame.

he reminds me of cam reddish. good shooting and size but lacks some feel for the game. i suspect he’ll have a solid career in the league

Cam showed more in his one year than Whitehead. Not Whitehead's fault, as he was injured. But I hardly think it's a sure thing he'll be a good pro. I too think he is taking a risk, as his stock seems to be falling. And he can't work out for teams. His trajectory is similar to Patrick Baldwin, who went late first round last year after being projected lottery a year earlier. Baldwin did average 4 points per game for the Warriors.

Last edited:
Cam showed more in his one year than Whitehead. Not Whitehead's fault, as he was injured. But I hardly think it's a sure thing he'll be a good pro. I too think he is taking a risk, as his stock seems to be falling. And he can't work out for teams. His trajectory is similar to Patrick Baldwin, who went late first round last year after being projected lottery a year earlier. Baldwin did average 4 points per game for the Warriors.
Baldwin is also in the right/wrong place if you look at it . Right place as the warriors love shooting the three and love shooters. Wrong place because they are stacked with them .
Cam just has not been put into the right situation at all. He’s not really an elite defender but can defend some and he’s always off on his shooting .
Whitehead going in the second round isn’t that bad because he would be a steal for a team who can sign him and afford to let him get back up to strength . Two foot surgeries in the same year is scary though and a red flag .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT