ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden Tatum Giles

Wow..... Seems to be more to this story! This is getting uglier and uglier and uglier! I'm gonna go Puke now

We will just have to deal with it and understand it's early in the season when this has happened and not late Feb. or early March. OFC

I want these 3 guys to rest and get better instead of coming back to soon and reinjuring their ailments. The one thing I noticed (at least I think I did) was none of the three had crutches when they were shown around the huddle during the game... not sure if they had walking boots /braces on or not.

I appreciate the caution, but this is a little disconcerting if I'm honest.
Yea I know! This is concerning and upsetting at the same time. I'm really wanting to see this team at its full capabilities and for some reason I feel like that's not going to happen. Maybe I'm freaking out too much. We will just have to wait and see I guess

The Michigan st game is about 2.5 weeks away... could we posssiy see all three Back by then?

Certainly not going to blame anybody, it's just really frustrating. Patience will prove to be the key...... It's just far from my strong suit!

It will be interesting to see how the Kansas game goes. I don't know if we have enough front court depth to win that game without any one these guys playing. Hopefully I am wrong.
I am beginning to wonder if we will see all 3 of them healthy at the same time this year.

We don't have a tough non-conference schedule. It's Kansas, Michigan State at home, and maybe Rhode Island. Penn State, Florida, and UNLV should be wins. We probably don't need them back. And in any case, we know that wins in November and December are great but that's not the ultimate goal. Not a huge deal if they aren't ready in 2016 but we will need them in 2017.

In the end, yes you take them when you can. As a program it's obviously priority 1 to look out for the kids futures. I'm sure we're all, all about that. None of which means we should not be severely disappointed that yet again us as fans and more importantly the kids are getting shorted!!! This season was set to be what fan bases dream of..... Part of that is steam rolling early, building the highlight reels and ultimate confidence together. I'm all about finding positives, but in the end these guys need time together to have the total season we planned to have

Reactions: dbav
In the end, yes you take them when you can. As a program it's obviously priority 1 to look out for the kids futures. I'm sure we're all, all about that. None of which means we should not be severely disappointed that yet again us as fans and more importantly the kids are getting shorted!!! This season was set to be what fan bases dream of..... Part of that is steam rolling early, building the highlight reels and ultimate confidence together. I'm all about finding positives, but in the end these guys need time together to have the total season we planned to have
Very well said. It's extremely frustrating.

Man this just sucks, I've been anticipating this season for months. I have to question the medical team / coaching staff. Why was Giles' blockage not found much earlier? How does Tatum come back too early? And we still have no clue what's going on with Bolden. For all we know, he could be Amile from last year.

You can tell that K is frustrated, don't blame him at all, I hope he'll be more transparent and accurate with these injury updates moving forward.

The Michigan st game is about 2.5 weeks away... could we posssiy see all three Back by then?
Honesty, from the way it sounds, it does not sound like it. We might have Tatum back and that is a very big might, but I doubt we will have Bolden or Giles.

Honesty, from the way it sounds, it does not sound like it. We might have Tatum back and that is a very big might, but I doubt we will have Bolden or Giles.

You are probably right... I just hope they get all better soon... chase she Javin need to keep playing at a high level

How disgusting. This is a joke. Nobody else in the country has even close to an injury problem like this. Feels like our season is pretty much f***ed!

How disgusting. This is a joke. Nobody else in the country has even close to an injury problem like this. Feels like our season is pretty much f***ed!
Pretty discouraging indeed, but I don't think the season is a wash. We still have a wealth of talent to win games until everyone( Bolden, Tatum, and Giles) gets healthy. I watched the IU - KU game tonight and Kansas did not look like the #3 team in the country IMO. I think we have a great shot to beat them despite our injuries. I certainly think we can.

Last edited:
Relax brah. All three will be back let's just realize there are 40 games and we've played one. 11/29 is MSU I bet we see have at least 2/3 of these guys playing.

Reactions: Dattier
This really, really, really, really, really sucks.

No team has ever been hit like this.

It's crazy to me that we've found ourselves in this situation. Harry was to be expected, the poor kid has caught more bad luck than any basketball player I've ever seen especially at that age. The Tatum & Bolden situation, however, is a little disturbing and I don't see either of them coming back in the near term based on those comments.

Don't underestimate the chemistry comments above. It's incredibly important for a team to develop that early on in a season. We all saw what happened with the Kyrie situation and this is x 3.

Blaming the medical team and coaching staff is beyond stupid. Damn fellas pull yourselves together. It injuries, every one is different. Yes it sucks but there's no one to blame. I feel fairly certain without Giles , Tatum and Bolden we lose to Kansas, but it won't hurt anything in the long run. Got to take it slow and get our guns back for the big fight. Hang in there, pull hard, but don't get down on staff and players.

The only thing we can do is relax and cheer for who we've got, which is pretty damn good yet! We didn't come into the season looking to concede to Fing Kansas tho for F sakes, and I'm not going to regardless!!! We have enough talent to beat anybody yet, just much less room for error, sounds familiar right. But all that said, my wife and kids, nor my neighbors, golf buddies or employees want to listen to me vent my Duke basketball frustrations..... So I'll be doing that here!!!!!!

It's mighty frustrating, just no way around it

Reactions: KellenPatrick
A bit frustrating that they brought Tatum back too soon when it wasn't necessary.

But, if they have to shut down Bolden and Tatum 2-3 more weeks, perhaps Giles another month to early December, then I think we'll be okay - though Bolden's injury is a bit strange sounding.

The main thing you want is for all three to be as healthy as possible before they return. Otherwise, until there are doubts about one being out most of the season, no need to over-react at this stage.

Blaming the medical team and coaching staff is beyond stupid. Damn fellas pull yourselves together. It injuries, every one is different. Yes it sucks but there's no one to blame. I feel fairly certain without Giles , Tatum and Bolden we lose to Kansas, but it won't hurt anything in the long run. Got to take it slow and get our guns back for the big fight. Hang in there, pull hard, but don't get down on staff and players.
Duke can beat Kansas without those 3 but Kennard, Allen, and Jackson must have big games. They don't have a dominant post player, I think Amile will shut down Bragg. I hoping for a role player to have a big game, Javin, Jack, or Jeter.

Why do you doubt we'll have Bolden back? I haven't heard what his injury is other than he has a "leg injury".

I feel great about this Duke basketball team. We are not the best team in the country with these injuries, but we are a fun, gritty team. We have 4 really nice guards that can stroke it and drive. We have smart players in the front court and Javin can fly. Let's enjoy the product. Most teams would kill for our current roster.

The following statement is very specific!

Javin reminds me of Grant Hill "the way he plays above the rim" the flat top doesn't hurt either lol

Folks again I'm not saying Javin is the next Grant Hill. Thank you

I hate injuries like everyone else but let's not discount the guys we still have. Some are saying we aren't currently the best team in the country I'm not sure about that. We have an all American 2 guard, a breakout soph who can score from anywhere, a 5th year grad senior who does it all, a senior who looks healthy can guard multiple positions and knock down 3's with regularity, an electric frosh who may be our best on ball defender and can score with the best of them and a bunch of other guys who weren't expected to play big minutes but are perfectly capable of holding fort until we do get healthy. As scary as it sounds I would still take our guys against anyone right now

Reactions: Dukesince90
It is frustrating because it is unprecedented as far as I know, with three lottery picks simultaneously injured. I'm sure no one is more frustrated than the kids themselves. The good news is that none of the big goals are truly off the table. The bad news is that they all became significantly harder to attain. One thing that made the 2015 team so special was how they were able to evolve and grow as a collective. One thing that killed the 2011 team was that they never got to do that.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
I hate that we are not at full strength, but I'm optimistic and think we will be by the start of our ACC schedule. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat Kansas on Tuesday. Sometimes adversity brings the best out in players. Even depleted, we're pretty damn good!

It is frustrating because it is unprecedented as far as I know, with three lottery picks simultaneously injured. I'm sure no one is more frustrated than the kids themselves. The good news is that none of the big goals are truly off the table. The bad news is that they all became significantly harder to attain. One thing that made the 2015 team so special was how they were able to evolve and grow as a collective. One thing that killed the 2011 team was that they never got to do that.
This is true. And to a lesser extent, the 2013 team as well. But the 11' team was really really good at full strength and good without Irving. Reintroducing Irving in the tournament gave us our best chance to succeed, but still disrubted the chemistry a bit. I still don't know how big of a difference it made to the outcome because we ran into a buzz saw in Arizona that night. But it still affected seeding and chemistry not having a full lineup. We will never know.

Okay to be cautious and protect the players but in the short term this is just so disappointing because these three, along with Grayson and the extremely experienced Amile, are the best players on the team. As fans, you want to see them play together and there will be that "If only we had..." regret.

I thought the KU guards, especially Mason, were great and without Bolden protecting the rim those guards can eat up Frank, Luke, Grayson on drives. Matt will do his best, but they are adept at drawing fouls.

When these three do come back, it is a whole lot of on court chemistry that will have to be figured out. Nothing we can control, but I too feel the pain of not having the team that got us the #1 ranking. This team is not anywhere near #1 or even a final four team without those key three recruits IMO. So, very frustrating. I hope Javin can play well against big time competition, he is very athletic but not a high level basketball player yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT