ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden Tatum Giles

I hate that we are not at full strength, but I'm optimistic and think we will be by the start of our ACC schedule. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat Kansas on Tuesday. Sometimes adversity brings the best out in players. Even depleted, we're pretty damn good!
I watched Kansas play last night and they didn't look that great!

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
This is best for them and this team. It wasn't too long ago that Duke fans complained about peaking too early in the season...and I certainly had my questions about it too since K plays to win each game.

Early season losses mean little...other player who we may need in march are getting big minutes now and we get great players back in time.

This is best for them and Duke. Sit back and enjoy the season...no need to stress.

This is best for them and this team. It wasn't too long ago that Duke fans complained about peaking too early in the season...and I certainly had my questions about it too since K plays to win each game.

Early season losses mean little...other player who we may need in march are getting big minutes now and we get great players back in time.

This is best for them and Duke. Sit back and enjoy the season...no need to stress.
Yeah, how quickly we forget. It's great to get out to 11-0 starts, but not so hot to finish with a 2nd round exit. Unless all three are out for the year, I'' going to give my heart a rest and relax

Reactions: topps coach
Welcome back @Tim1515!

I don't know if having our three most talented kids out is best for the team. The lineup could evolve throughout the year without our guys being hurt. And as much gametime in as many situations as possible is vital for freshmen of all talent levels. I do get what you're saying, but 10 times out of 10 I'd rather have our guys ready to go.

Reactions: hart2chesson
while it absolutely sucks that we are without 3 of the top players in the country all at the same time I am doing my damnedest to stay positive. And I'm doing so by reminding myself that even though marshall and Brandon were both important parts of our team last year we are essentially playing at the moment and for the foreseeable future with basically the same sweet 16 team from last season with a few minor adjustments (frank sliding into the 1 spot for the departed, amile returning and essentially filling plumlee's role, and the rest of our squad is sweet 16 battle tested and now playing with more experience than last years group of ballers), I obviously cant speak for the rest of yall but for myself ill confidently take that and run until our 3 big names are fully healed.

Reactions: Dukesince90
Just out of curiosity, do the guys in the know here expect this to be an extended time for these 3 guys, or did K sort of make a blanket statement? I know we'll see them this season, but I was just curious if this meant indefinite like with Amile last season, or just a couple more weeks.

Either way, I don't see the sky falling and with a core of Matt, Grayson and Amile, we can beat anyone in the nation.

I really feel like this takes away from the fun of the games for me... it is just sort of "Well, who cares what I see now? The roles will be completely different, the team will be completely different... none of this really matters." I know it is a bit crazy, but...

Reactions: pisgah101
Coach K Says Tatum, Bolden, Giles Won’t Play vs. Kansas

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said his trio of star freshmen forwards – Jayson Tatum, Marques Bolden and Harry Giles – won’t play on Tuesday against No. 3 Kansas in the Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden.

“I don’t anticipate these guys playing on Tuesday, and they might not play all week,” Krzyzewski said of his freshman trio after the No. 1 Blue Devils routed Grand Canyon 96-61, per the Duke Chronicle.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2016/11/12/coach-k-says-tatum-bolden-giles-wont-play-vs-kansas/

There is still no timetable for the return of freshmen Marques Bolden, Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles, meaning Jefferson could be on an island in the post for a while if Jeter does not step up consistently.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-basketball-in-96-61-win-against-grand-canyon

Last edited:
Maybe Vrank and Jack will have to contribute. Heck even Justin

Vrank will add size (7-0 260) and rebounding. He's also a decent passer and can get a few points. He's not that mobile in running the floor so a lot of half court when he's in.

Jack has good size for a combo forward (6-7 215) will definite shoot it and brings confidence because he's played in big games. He's another guy that isn't very swift of foot but he could defend Jackson if needed.

Justin is raw but is the most athletic of the reserves. At 6-8 190ish he can give some minutes in a pinch.

I see Duke needing interior size bc
Three players between 6-6/6-5 200 and Frank at 6-3 might have some limitations against the bigger wing players. Also if Duke goes small with Amile and 4 guards, who defends the "4"?

Hopefully Vrank, Jack and even Justin can give just a little.

Javin will continue to be a rotation guy as long as our 3 frosh remain on the sidelines. Vrank and Jack will get limited spot minutes at best. Justin likely won't see the floor. As soon as our guys return the only guy you may see going forward would be javin IMO. In competitive games such as Kansas and possibly mich st (assuming our guys are still out) you'll likely see a situation like last night where our main guys are playing almost the entire game until said game is no longer in doubt. Coach K will play the guys who give us the best chance at a W.

Maybe Vrank and Jack will have to contribute. Heck even Justin

Vrank will add size (7-0 260) and rebounding. He's also a decent passer and can get a few points. He's not that mobile in running the floor so a lot of half court when he's in.

Jack has good size for a combo forward (6-7 215) will definite shoot it and brings confidence because he's played in big games. He's another guy that isn't very swift of foot but he could defend Jackson if needed.

Justin is raw but is the most athletic of the reserves. At 6-8 190ish he can give some minutes in a pinch.

I see Duke needing interior size bc
Three players between 6-6/6-5 200 and Frank at 6-3 might have some limitations against the bigger wing players. Also if Duke goes small with Amile and 4 guards, who defends the "4"?

Hopefully Vrank, Jack and even Justin can give just a little.

None of those three will play any meaningful minutes.

None of those three will play any meaningful minutes.
I think he'll stick with the 6.5-7 man rotation he's got at his disposal right now. I agree Vrank is going to be more of an emergency spot play- he's definitely improved, the game is just a little too fast for him right now.

Meaningful minutes and number of minutes are very different DJ. Although K tends not to sub defense for offense like some other coaches do, Javin replacing Amile for literally seconds at the end of the half at the defensive end could come up huge in avoiding a 3rd foul in the first half for Amile. That could be a game changer. Also, how many brutal losses have we incurred because bigs fouled out at end of games and we had nobody who could get a defensive rebound (even after a foul shot) or play any kind of post D to preserve a lead. Maybe there are not a ton of games like that, but the times it did happen were huge. UConn 04 title game, NC when they had Marvin Williams as a Frosh?, Syracuse in 13/14.

I know I thought Amile played a few more minutes than I would have liked last night. Damn, I know I-and the rest of us are a little gun shy injury wise, but I would hate to see Amile, Grayson, Matt get hurt when we are 20+ to an inferior opponent. Maybe K is trying to knock of some of the rust off of Amile. I get that. That said, I was really hoping to see more of Jack and Javin in the first half.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Meaningful minutes and number of minutes are very different DJ. Although K tends not to sub defense for offense like some other coaches do, Javin replacing Amile for literally seconds at the end of the half at the defensive end could come up huge in avoiding a 3rd foul in the first half for Amile. That could be a game changer. Also, how many brutal losses have we incurred because bigs fouled out at end of games and we had nobody who could get a defensive rebound (even after a foul shot) or play any kind of post D to preserve a lead. Maybe there are not a ton of games like that, but the times it did happen were huge. UConn 04 title game, NC when they had Marvin Williams as a Frosh?, Syracuse in 13/14.

I know I thought Amile played a few more minutes than I would have liked last night. Damn, I know I-and the rest of us are a little gun shy injury wise, but I would hate to see Amile, Grayson, Matt get hurt when we are 20+ to an inferior opponent. Maybe K is trying to knock of some of the rust off of Amile. I get that. That said, I was really hoping to see more of Jack and Javin in the first half.
This! Sometimes you have to steal minutes, playing Vrank and Jack 5-7min in the 1st half could keep allen,luke, or amile from fouling out. I like Dukes chances with the game close late, with Amile, Javin,Jackson,kennard, and Allen

Why can't they just be upfront and let everybody know what these injuries are instead of hiding them? It's really not fair to the fans.

Reactions: pisgah101
Why can't they just be upfront and let everybody know what these injuries are instead of hiding them? It's really not fair to the fans.
I'm torn on this one. K could be telling the truth and the players are just sore and there's no set timetable.

I'm also torn on your comment of not fair to the fans. K doesn't owe anything to the fans with regards to injuries, but, I know a lot of people want to watch this duke team in person and it's not because of Antonio or Jack White (no offense to them). A chance to see this team fully healthy would be impressive. With that said, tickets aren't cheap, and it would be good to give a ball park time frame. This isn't college football where you are game planning for a full week for one team and injuries change your game plan.

It's been stated that Giles has a scope done on the first knee that he injured to clean it up, Tatum has a sprained foot and Bolden has a lower left leg injury, how much more upfront do you think they can be than that?

Last edited:
I really feel like this takes away from the fun of the games for me... it is just sort of "Well, who cares what I see now? The roles will be completely different, the team will be completely different... none of this really matters." I know it is a bit crazy, but...
Agree 100% about this. Before this news dropped, I was beyond excited all week to watch our Fri/Sat games this weekend. Oddly enough I had to force myself to sit down and watch our Sat game.
I also get a "what's the point" feeling currently. The team we are watching is not the team that we will field in March. Also feel like I'm watching last year's team with just a couple tweaks. And don't get me wrong, I loved last year's team, but this year was supposed to be a season for the ages.

Agree 100% about this. Before this news dropped, I was beyond excited all week to watch our Fri/Sat games this weekend. Oddly enough I had to force myself to sit down and watch our Sat game.
I also get a "what's the point" feeling currently. The team we are watching is not the team that we will field in March. Also feel like I'm watching last year's team with just a couple tweaks. And don't get me wrong, I loved last year's team, but this year was supposed to be a season for the ages.
Agreed completely that it feels like we're just watching last year's team. I don't even know if the current team with all our injuries is even better than last year's team... getting Amile back is huge, but does another year of improvement for the rest of our players make up for losing Ingram and Plumlee? Just hoping that the bad luck in regards to injuries does not keep this team from reaching its true potential.

Go to the campus and just start a protest
How dare you question those on the moral high ground!

Seriously though, I'm really having fun watching this team as is and it's interesting watching our fanbase's reaction to the injuries. We are going to be a mess once we have that first really crap season after K is gone. As a Gamecock fan, you have to find a way to enjoy the losing seasons too. Duke has been truly the best out there for 20 years+ if you look at the body of work. We've done it with overwhelming talent. We've done it with overwhelming heart and planning. Every season is fun to watch with the type of players and coaches we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
Like so many others I am disappointed to not see the team we have waiting for 7 months to see play. With all leadup and hype and amazing recruiting what Duke fan wouldn't be at least a little disappointed?

At the end of the day we get to watch Duke basketball again. We get to see Amile and Grayson play again right now! We get to watch Luke develop as a player. We get to to see Jackson learn the ropes. This is all amazing stuff.

It's a long season. I do hope we do get to see this team at full strength sometime later in the season, but for now I am content watching Duke basketball again. Giles, Tatum and Bolden are young men with BIG dreams, and rightfully so. I hope they heal up fully, and sometime soon we get to see them all competing in Duke uniforms at the same time. I certainly hope it's sooner, but if it's the first week of April, so be it! :)

I believe we are better right now than we were at the end of last year. Of course Ingram (and to a small extent Plumlee) are missing, but Amile and Matt are healthy, Luke has developed nicely, Grayson is still Grayson, Frank >> Thornton, and we have a few guys on the bench that if we need minutes we aren't all holding our breath. We are going to get those 3 frosh back at some point, but even without them we have a nice team.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
I think the real reason the 3 aren't playing is because they told Coach K if they aren't assured of 36 minutes pt and 20 touches each per game they all 3 are going to transfer and that has them in Coach K's dog house. ;) OFC
They'll all end up being busts like Kyrie.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT