ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden Tatum Giles

It's tough no doubt. We all spent the off-season super excited about what this team could be, and then all this happens. No one can do anything about it, but that fact doesn't magically remove the frustration. Each game that passes is one less game they have to gel and grow as a full group.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
Kids just don't seem as tough now days, society in general.
Of course pros didn't make the amount of money like they do now.

I imagine it's not even their (kids) decision. I'm willing to bet if up to them all three except maybe Tatum would be playing.

Kids just don't seem as tough now days, society in general.
Of course pros didn't make the amount of money like they do now.

That's a bit ridiculous. What, Grayson Allen isn't a tough kid? I know a lot of tough kids, and there is nothing to suggest that our freshmen are being weak.

Reactions: topps coach
Giv
That's a bit ridiculous. What, Grayson Allen isn't a tough kid? I know a lot of tough kids, and there is nothing to suggest that our freshmen are being weak.

Give me a break. I was just saying in general, kids don't seem as tough now days. I never said Grayson wasn't tough. I do know that more kids use to play when they were injured. My coaches always said you have to know the difference between pain and injury. We played through injury, which Grayson is doing. My hat's off to Grayson!

Coaches still say there is a difference between pain and injured (which you seem to have confused all up on your post?... look at Grayson, or Amile, or any number of Duke guys who have played through pain.

The frosh are injured. It is a different thing. They should be allowed to heal and play. I don't know why there is this strange segment of Duke fans who are attacking them over some perceived thing.

I have not attacked a single player, but you sure or sensitive about me saying players and society just doesn't seem as tough now a days. You might want to have a discussion with your grandpa. Good night.

Don't think it has to do with their toughness as much as protecting the million dollar contracts they have waiting for them in a few months. I agree though, the youth of today are full of mental midgets.

Reactions: hart2chesson
These guys want to play just as much as we want to see them play. The coaches/training staff have the final say. Coach K does not want to threaten their future, and it would look bad on him if he forced them to play through it. He knows to be careful with these OADs because a setback could cost them millions of dollars next june. It sucks for us as a fan base, but it does for the guys hurt too. They want to be out there fighting with their guys, no doubt about it. But their only input is their pain level, and they shouldn't lie just to get back out there (probably what Jayson did). I hate it as much as the next guy, but you can't just sit here and call them soft.

Heh, Giles, Tatum and Bolden are literally gonna put us all in the damn nuthouse before this season is over.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Giv

Give me a break. I was just saying in general, kids don't seem as tough now days. I never said Grayson wasn't tough. I do know that more kids use to play when they were injured. My coaches always said you have to know the difference between pain and injury. We played through injury, which Grayson is doing. My hat's off to Grayson!
If you were playing through injury and not just pain...I don't think the coaches were saying what you thought they were saying. Just sayin... :)

Reactions: TheDude1
Don't think it has to do with their toughness as much as protecting the million dollar contracts they have waiting for them in a few months. I agree though, the youth of today are full of mental midgets.
I agree they're probably protecting them for the NBA, and that's the right thing for the individuals. That's what's changed with the one and done era. You used to do the right thing for the team and program but now you do what's right for the superstar individual. Not blaming anyone, just the way it is.

I have not attacked a single player, but you sure or sensitive about me saying players and society just doesn't seem as tough now a days. You might want to have a discussion with your grandpa. Good night.

I wasn't necessarily meaning you, but... And I'm not a young guy. If I want to talk to someone who fought as part of The Greatest Generation, I can call my dad. But I work with young folk, and I know a lot of them, and I can't help but think they get an unfair amount of "this generation blah blah blah."

Listen, when you post "kids aren't tough these days" in a thread about our kids who aren't playing, you are basically saying "our kids aren't tough." That is a little bit of an attack. If you want to clarify or back off if, you can. If not, don't.

Again, while I have my moments of "What in the good hell?!" I think we have to remember that our season started less than three weeks ago. The guys started playing as a team in May (start of June for Marques) with all of them skipping the end of their high school years to be part of our team. That is SIX MONTHS of practice together. Missing a month of games against William and Mary and Grand Canyon because they are hurt sucks for us as fans, but at this point we should have enough trust and faith in K and our program to know that the kids aren't sandbagging or whatever... If Coach says they are injured, they are injured. It doesn't matter if they are OAD or not; it would be irresponsible and dick to insist they play injured in these meaningless games, even if it WASNT risking life changing (for generations) money, and I would wager K and our staff would do the same for Justin Robinson as they are for Jayson or Harry.

Last edited:
I trust Coach K as much as any poster. I agree with Get Nasty and Jnastasi on their comments as to why Coach K is being overly cautious. They're looking at the big picture. I posted a month ago that I didn't think we would see Giles until January. I'm a teacher and coach as well and I still stand by statement about overall lack of toughness compared to previous generations. I've been coaching high school football for 29 years and I have seen a big change in athletes. Maybe it's just the area I live in.

From the clips during the game, it loOKs like Giles is moving great. Keep working fellas and get back when you can.

I trust Coach K as much as any poster. I agree with Get Nasty and Jnastasi on their comments as to why Coach K is being overly cautious. They're looking at the big picture. I posted a month ago that I didn't think we would see Giles until January. I'm a teacher and coach as well and I still stand by statement about overall lack of toughness compared to previous generations. I've been coaching high school football for 29 years and I have seen a big change in athletes. Maybe it's just the area I live in.
So as a longtime coach you would play a player if the doctors said that playing them would cause further damage.JMO but K will not or should not play them until he has been assured by the medical staff that playing them will reaggrevate their injury

I'll go on record as saying I don't know when the hell any of them will be back. I'll just pull for this team as hard as I can and pray before each game they come in. We are to the point now that we IMO , won't be the team we could have been without these damn injuries. Sure, we may even get them all back at some point, but it won't be the same as if they grew with the team. Adding each one at different times will mean different adjustments here and there. They may be easy, they may be difficult, but adjustments nonetheless. But the bottom line is , we're grown men and have to play with the cards that have been dealt to us. If you're a real Duke fan, you'll pull for the team. There's no need for us to sit here and try to throw blame around. Do you really think K wants this BS? He wants everyone out there kicking ass and heading for #6 just as bad as we do. That's why he's the Goat. Let's support them, not tear them down. It is still early, who knows what's ahead.we still have the best coach in college basketball. Go Duke !

So as a longtime coach you would play a player if the doctors said that playing them would cause further damage.JMO but K will not or should not play them until he has been assured by the medical staff that playing them will reaggrevate their injury

Read my posts. I never said I would play any of them if they weren't ready. I was just making a general statement as to society in general.
People (not Duke players, happy now?) in general are not as tough as previous generations. I trust Coach K and respect him more than any coach period. He knows a helluva a lot more than I or any other coach on how to handle this situation. I'm done now......oh yeah GTHC GTH.

Heh, Giles, Tatum and Bolden are literally gonna put us all in the damn nuthouse before this season is over.

Yep. Without the expectations , the OAD talk and the "sky is falling" hyperbole fans would be doing what they always do...commiserating over the injuries but showing empathy for those sitting out. Instead , we get all this speculation and "so-and-so is soft" nonsense. Never heard anyone say that about Boozer , GHill , Hurley , Kyrie , RKelly , DNelson , Amile etc when those guys missed time due to injury. They'll be back when they'll be back. I'll say one more thing. I've seen plenty of Duke teams look like gangbusters in November and December only to gack out down the stretch. Last time I checked , they don't hang banners for gaudy won/loss records compiled before the ACC slate even starts.

Kids not tough these days? Wow. What a blanket statement. Props to the poster that said this generation is being raised by that so called tough generation. Also, we know more than we did back then (regarding injuries) and if athletes were paid back then as much money as today, they would think in a more individualist way. Players are "brands" now which is far more important TODAY than ever.

It's tough no doubt. We all spent the off-season super excited about what this team could be, and then all this happens. No one can do anything about it, but that fact doesn't magically remove the frustration. Each game that passes is one less game they have to gel and grow as a full group.
while it is not ideal imo if they are get back by the first of January that is plenty of time for them to learn how to play together.This is not like the Kyrie situation where they played most the season without him and tried to adjust during the NCAA tourney

while it is not ideal imo if they are get back by the first of January that is plenty of time for them to learn how to play together.This is not like the Kyrie situation where they played most the season without him and tried to adjust during the NCAA tourney

And, to say again...

TATUM JOINED THE REST OF TEAM IN MAY. BOLDEN JOINED IN EARLY JUNE. THEY PLAYED AS A TEAM FOR SIX MONTHS BEFORE ANYONE GOT HURT.

It isn't like they've never been on the floor together... they've actually played against some of the best players they'll ever play against already.

Reactions: pisgah101
And, to say again...

TATUM JOINED THE REST OF TEAM IN MAY. BOLDEN JOINED IN EARLY JUNE. THEY PLAYED AS A TEAM FOR SIX MONTHS BEFORE ANYONE GOT HURT.

It isn't like they've never been on the floor together... they've actually played against some of the best players they'll ever play against already.
My point is that January gives them time to play together in actual game time situation which is a different animal than playing pick-up in the summer

Kids not tough these days? Wow. What a blanket statement. Props to the poster that said this generation is being raised by that so called tough generation. Also, we know more than we did back then (regarding injuries) and if athletes were paid back then as much money as today, they would think in a more individualist way. Players are "brands" now which is far more important TODAY than ever.

Also the grind today is a lot tougher then it use to be, between Summer games, Olympics, AAU and so on. There is a lot more stress on the kids bodies then when I was that age. They also start the grind at a lot younger age.

My point is that January gives them time to play together in actual game time situation which is a different animal than playing pick-up in the summer

Oh, sure. I meant my post in support of your concept, not as negative. In your situation, plenty of time to reintegrate after what was, as I pointed out, a long time together. You and me, working in harmony:)

Literally every generation deems themselves as the "tough generation" and craps on their current youth.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
Lots of season to go. Conference play doesn't even start until New Years Eve. Hang in there folks. All three will play significantly more games than Kyrie did

Reactions: dbav
Lots of season to go. Conference play doesn't even start until New Years Eve. Hang in there folks. All three will play significantly more games than Kyrie did
I wonder if maybe at least Tatum or Bolden or both might be ready by Florida or UNLV. Great news to read this morning!

I honestly think Giles sits for the season, but man when Tatum and bolden come back, it's going to take a miracle to beat us on most nights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT