ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden AND Javin testing the waters

I think they’re both gone, and I don’t think they did it just for feedback. What if Javin gets a chance, even if it’s G league, or whatever. He can get paid to work on his jumper. Do we really think he’s going to get to work on it for Duke, especially in a game?

I’ve suspected they both aren’t thrilled to be 5th and 6th options on a 3 to 4 option team.

I hope at least one comes back, but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

Javin has a lot of work to do on his jumper. I think he could make meaningful contributions in time at the next level, but cant say I see it coming from his jumper. Initially, I think he must develop the confidence to at least shoot it. OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Crazy to think Bolden could probably start in the G-League but maybe not at Duke. Carey is starting and pick one between Hurt and Bolden.

I’ll stick to my gut and say Bolden leaves Jav returns.

Reactions: GillJET
Crazy to think Bolden could probably start in the G-League but maybe not at Duke. Carey is starting and pick one between Hurt and Bolden.

I’ll stick to my gut and say Bolden leaves Jav returns.

I do think as well we do have legit chance at keeping Jav... OFC

Reactions: jwill133
I know it's the process but the longer this drags out the less hope I have. If neither come back we're nearly as young as we were this year, without Zion.

With literally no size outside Carey. We need a transfer big, badly. Come on Blackshear.

With Carey and Hurt the likely starters at the 4/5, Blackshear would be looking at a diminished role from what he had last season at VT and what he could likely find elsewhere.

Unless Hurt can play lots of 3. Which he can offensively. But guarding ACC wings might be tough.

I still expect DeLaurier back. But should he and Bolden both stay in the draft, Duke will need another big body good enough to play at least 10-15 mpg at the 5. But I suspect it would be someone further down the food chain than Blackshear.

NBA teams will workout countless players before the draft. This isn't a huge deal considering the new rules and guys allowed to return after entering their name.
I remember a couple years back the Cavs worked out 19 guys, and only 1 actually got drafted.

I'm glad Javin is going through the process, still think he returns.

Reactions: christophero
With Carey and Hurt the likely starters at the 4/5, Blackshear would be looking at a diminished role from what he had last season at VT and what he could likely find elsewhere.

Unless Hurt can play lots of 3. Which he can offensively. But guarding ACC wings might be tough.

I still expect DeLaurier back. But should he and Bolden both stay in the draft, Duke will need another big body good enough to play at least 10-15 mpg at the 5. But I suspect it would be someone further down the food chain than Blackshear.

Good points, but Hurt at the 4 scares me too defensively, he needs a lot of work there to guard even another big...

I also expect Javin back. Either way, it's 2019, I don't think having a 3rd big is that crucial. This year's tournament set the record for the most 3-pointers by a mile, (it was around 42% of all shots were 3's) and I'd expect the trend to continue with the way basketball is played now. 10 years ago it was around 30%. College basketball following the same trend as the NBA, just a little bit delayed.

I think having a guard you can bring off the bench who could potentially go for 20 any game is more important than a 3rd big. Alex could be that guy, hopefully he figures it out.
For basic minute purposes though, obviously we need someone to fill the void behind Hurt/Carey..really hope it's Javin. If not, than the only other option is Jack at the 4 but can't play Hurt at the 5, just can't. I hope we bring someone else in who can give 5-10 minutes a game...should have redshirted Vrank.

Reactions: christophero
Vernon Carey is not going to play 40 mpg at the 5. Not even 35 I suspect. Maybe not even 30. Can Jack White fill the gap? Justin Robinson? Keenan Worthington?

All of these options seem sub-optimal to me.

If Javin (and Bolden but to a lesser degree) get drafted into the NBA then I'm throwing my name in.

I agree.. Would just show the NBA drafts on athletic ability over skill.

I'm sorry but if Kevin gets drafted this year the NBA is an absolute joke imo...drafting a guy with very limited offensive skills other than dunking a ball is very strange to me

I'm sorry but if Kevin gets drafted this year the NBA is an absolute joke imo...drafting a guy with very limited offensive skills other than dunking a ball is very strange to me

Who is Kevin? OFC

Reactions: Mpm277

Considering skill is something that can be developed and improved on over time, and athleticism generally isn't...wouldn't you draft on athletic ability over skill too??

Considering skill is something that can be developed and improved on over time, and athleticism generally isn't...wouldn't you draft on athletic ability over skill too??

Yes but I would also draft a person that could do more than make a dunk...and would want a person that could catch a pass instead of fumbling half of them

And no I wouldn't draft a person with superior athletic ability that couldn't play basketball...no saying javin here but I'm General

I watched javin 3 years of HS and 3 years of college and he hasn't developed much at all offensively...in HS he was just more athletic than 99% of his opponents

It doesn't really matter what Javin has done. It matters what he does in workouts. If they like what they see he could be a 2nd round pick for someone.

Reactions: hart2chesson
For some of you who think Javin is so worthless, why would you even want him back? Wouldn’t Duke be better off without him?

Right on DJ. Add to this the what I think is the general consensus that most of us want a balance of top OAD talent and returning role players with experience. Can't have it both ways.

IMHO Jav would/will be a valuable asset to the team next year.

Have you watched the NBA lately? Its awful...each team has its 1 or 2 go to players - the rest are there to occasionally rebound or tip a bucket in or take up space...no need to be an offensive threat at all.

Have you watched the NBA lately? Its awful...each team has its 1 or 2 go to players - the rest are there to occasionally rebound or tip a bucket in or take up space...no need to be an offensive threat at all.

This would be like me trying to give analysis of Game of Thrones....if I have zero clue what I’m talking about, I’m better off just keeping my mouth shut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT