ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning to wonder if Trevon enjoyed his time here

Well, I think people throw out the poor shooting because it was, in fact, really poor. Both from the perimeter and the line. He averaged almost three turnovers per game. That's reality. And yes, it's entirely possible many are seeing it "through their own eyes"....but reality is still reality. No one is saying he isn't very talented.

Whether he was used correctly as an individual isn't the only common theme here. Could he have showcased himself better in the PnR offense? Entirely possible....and I'd even say pretty likely. But he's still making himself look like an entitled, little brat.

He's going to get every opportunity to prove himself going forward....and I hope he succeeds. But if he doesn't learn to hit water from a boat he's never going to be anything more than a footnote in the NBA. Besides, he's showing sides of himself right now that aren't very flattering. And if anyone thinks for a moment that potential future bosses aren't noticing, they're wrong. For as much as he might "think" Coach K damaged him, he's doing more bad than good to his reputation going forward.
I agree that his shooting was bad, that isn't the point here. He's 18, and will probably look back 5-10 years from now and wish he hadn't publicly made these comments.
I don't think anyone is seeing this from his perspective at all though. He's a kid, one who was the best player on every team, until he got to Duke. Then to make matters worse, he hasn't handled himself as well as he should when things didn't go like he wanted them to.
In his eyes, he was cheated out of being drafted. Yes, he can still make it, but remember he's 18.

How many of us at his age thought we knew it all, only to find out 10-15 years later that we weren't too smart at all at back then?

Reactions: Liftee
I agree that his shooting was bad, that isn't the point here. He's 18, and will probably look back 5-10 years from now and wish he hadn't publicly made these comments.
I don't think anyone is seeing this from his perspective at all though. He's a kid, one who was the best player on every team, until he got to Duke. Then to make matters worse, he hasn't handled himself as well as he should when things didn't go like he wanted them to.
In his eyes, he was cheated out of being drafted. Yes, he can still make it, but remember he's 18.

How many of us at his age thought we knew it all, only to find out 10-15 years later that we weren't too smart at all at back then?
Were in agreement that he's 18 and everyone here can probably agree that they made some terrible decisions at such a young age, I definitely did at least. But I do think being an 18 year old Duke basketball player is different than what anyone here could compare to. Trevon was an elite recruit, projected OAD, he has had a microscope on him since he was 13 years old. He probably did hundreds of radio/television interviews during High School and his AAU season at a very young age. He should be more seasoned than this and know how to let stuff go and not embaress himself (and his school) on social media.

My point here is acting like an adult comes with the territory of being a Duke basketball player. And with the current OAD system that college basketball has taken on, those guys that need to act like adults are now 18 years old. All our young guys need to pay close attention to Jayson Tatum IMO, the guy is a fantastic pro, gonna be an MVP candidate in the future, and handles himself perfectly. He is gonna be a great ambasaddor for Duke basketball.

Last edited:
“Fans” didn’t like Duval from the beginning. Now he’s speaking his mind and those same “fans” are angry. Go figure.

Reactions: jwill133
“Fans” didn’t like Duval from the beginning. Now he’s speaking his mind and those same “fans” are angry. Go figure.
I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. Duval had an overall disappointing 1 year showing at Duke. And now seems to be heading towards Rashad McCants territory. I think that is what is frustrating about Trevon for Duke fans.

I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. Duval had an overall disappointing 1 year showing at Duke. And now seems to be heading towards Rashad McCants territory. I think that is what is frustrating about Trevon for Duke fans.
If you go back and read Trevon's twitter comments throughout the season, there are a lot of "fans" who say some pretty nasty things to him. I still believe that Trevon being a Duke basketball player should be able to look past this, but he took A LOT of heat on twitter throughout the season. (Imagine if he played for UK)

Not at all saying that this should allow Trevon to disrespect Duke and Coach K, but I imagine Trevon got pretty pissed off at his twitter comments throughout the year. IMO, this was a bad marriage from the start, Trevon should of gone somewhere where he could of been the star, and averaged an inefficient 20 ppg while being able to do whatever he wanted. Duke needed a PG badly and took a shot on the #1 PG in the country, it didn't work out.

Reactions: GillJET

Well, I don't think there's only *one* point here, though. That's not how life works. Yes, I did some stupid things when I was 18. Yes, I didn't think they were stupid at the time. Yes, I was wrong. Trevon isn't a dumb kid. But he's acting dumb.

And see, I didn't think that's what it is for me. Because, frankly, I didn't think it was *that* disappointing of a season by him. Overall, it could have been much better, sure....but I don't think he's the reason for our struggles. I don't think there's a single individual responsible for that. Many here had Trevon's back and supported him, but he's now sort of doubling-down on the program. That's where I agree with you on the frustrations. As maddening as his play was at times this past season, there were many of us who went to bat for him....over and over.

People aren't upset that he's revealing his feelings; they're upset that he feels he was done a disservice by not having more freedom on the court. Duval should just concede that reasons for that short leash may include his own inconsistent shooting/decision-making -AND/OR- the need for more structure to make the whole team more efficient. What good does it do for Duval to call out K at this juncture? It won't make pro teams re-evaluate his potential. All it does is distance him from Duke's program. If you want to howl at the moon, don't do it on camera. Maybe even talk with K directly about it. My guess is K would try and shift public perception in your favor if you approached him maturely and explained your feelings.

I’m not rooting against the kid, but I’m not rooting for him either. Take it how you want. I don’t know which decision are worse, on or off the court. I know they started when he chose Duke, and they’re not finished. Bet on it.

Plus he is only 18. How many of us said crazy things when we was 18. He is still a becoming a man.
When I said dumb stuff at 18, I got called out. It’s part of growing up. Luckily, I’m not famous and I don’t make big claims on camera. Tre is fine with me. There is no hate from me. He will always be a Devil, even if I have to question his logic.

Just like Rashad Mcants! Right?!
I'd say this is much different than the McCants situation. For starters, McCants made his comments as a full-grown 30+ year old adult. Trevon is 19 years old. Also, McCants blatently disrespected his school and the athletics program. Trevon is basically saying "I was done wrong." Big difference IMO.

I believe that the people who disrespect Trevon on Twitter and on message boards are complete idiots, especially if you consider yourself to be a Duke fan. At the same time, I think Trevon should be mature enough, and be able to handle the criticicism that comes with being a Duke Point Guard. No one wins here.

All of the crap spewed by Duke “fans” towards Trevon and those same “fans” are mad he, too, has an opinion? Wow.

He can be critiqued by all, but can’t critique as well? Hmmmm

Reactions: jwill133
Give this kid a break. He played hard and gave it his all every night. Nothing wrong with him saying how he feels.

Shhhh, only “fans” get to say how they feel. Players don’t have that right!

I thought Trevon played hard, and didn't seem to pout (on the bench) when K sat him down a few times. I think maybe he's been listening to his 'entourage' too much, or else has to cope with failure by blaming someone else. Either way, whatever his reason, he has the right to vent, and others have the right to vent back at him. I wish him the best, but 'getting this off his chest' isn't the smartest career move. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

36GZ0NA.jpg

OFC

Shhhh, only “fans” get to say how they feel. Players don’t have that right!
The issue is not one of "rights". Players indisputably can say whatever they want. The issue is, rather, whether they should say what they do. That issue is answered differently for an individual fan who has no following, than it is for a nationally recognized athlete who knows or should know that his words may be picked up by the media and may have negative repercussions on others. If you think Trevon should have said what he did, then fine, Q. I disagree.

He is typical kid who has had everyone kiss his ass all his life. Enjoy your time in Oshkosh Wisconsin.

I’m sure he will get multiple chances and it will always be someone else’s fault. He just isn’t that good and with this attitude it probably won’t change

I'd say this is much different than the McCants situation. For starters, McCants made his comments as a full-grown 30+ year old adult. Trevon is 19 years old. Also, McCants blatently disrespected his school and the athletics program. Trevon is basically saying "I was done wrong." Big difference IMO.

I believe that the people who disrespect Trevon on Twitter and on message boards are complete idiots, especially if you consider yourself to be a Duke fan. At the same time, I think Trevon should be mature enough, and be able to handle the criticicism that comes with being a Duke Point Guard. No one wins here.

McCants was still in college when he was first quoted as saying UNC was like prison. His comments just continued well into adulthood.

I think the previous poster was just comparing Duval to a younger McCants.

He is typical kid who has had everyone kiss his ass all his life. Enjoy your time in Oshkosh Wisconsin.

I’m sure he will get multiple chances and it will always be someone else’s fault. He just isn’t that good and with this attitude it probably won’t change
You’re not a Duke fan I hope????

Reactions: Quavarius
It's probably best if college athletes just like our POTUS didn't twitter. If I understand this twitter thing if you don't have it then you don't see other people who twitter. The whole twitter thing can get silly. OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
It is possible to be a Duke fan and not like every single damn player that’s played here.....just saying

Reactions: pisgah101
It is possible to be a Duke fan and not like every single damn player that’s played here.....just saying

Nope that means you’re only a “fan”

I think I did that right. Also it’s hilarious we have this group saying we aren’t fans if we dont support him while he blasts K and duke basketball but then you’re also not a fan of you question K... kind of an odd circle isn’t it? Lol

I think I did that right. Also it’s hilarious we have this group saying we aren’t fans if we dont support him while he blasts K and duke basketball but then you’re also not a fan of you question K... kind of an odd circle isn’t it? Lol
You took the “annoyed” right out of my mouth lol

Reactions: pisgah101
You are right, that is definitely okay.

"You are terrible, you will never be considered a Dukie."
"Please stop playing basketball."
"You are a disgrace to the Duke basketball program."
"Nice turnover, you suck and I hope you get injured."
That was after 2 minutes of scrolling, I'm sure I could fine 100 more comments like that upon spending more time.

These were all tweeted directly at Duval by Duke "fans" all throughout the season. Please, go back and read his twitter timeline. Saying disgraceful things to a college athlete on social media is uncalled for and again makes you look like a total idiot. Saying these same things on a message board is also terrible and yep your an idiot.

Trevon disappointed me all season, I expected the #1 PG recruit in the country to be much better than he was. Plus I don't think he was a great fit with the rest of our roster. Saying things like that I believe to be fine, but directly attacking one of our own......nope: take that BS elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeDenver

Pisgah it’s the same crowd that thinks they could step in and coach the team better than K. He should do this, he should do that....blah blah blah.
Dang that sounded like Ipsy.....lol

Pisgah it’s the same crowd that thinks they could step in and coach the team better than K. He should do this, he should do that....blah blah blah.
Get a grip QC. Sheesh!

Reactions: QC Dukie
The question I've been wondering is, would K have even recruited Duval if Capel wasn't on the staff?

Its a very legitimate question FactChecker.I have always thought from watching K since 1980-'81, Capel had K's ear more than any assistant he ever had. This can be traced to things they've done not only at Duke but internationally as well. I also think Capel had the real "gift of gab," with our recruits in recent years and was VERY CONVINCING in his pitch to perspective Duke recruits.

It seemed like Jeff was Mr.Automatic in delivering 5 star talent to Durham. I think as K got older, he put more faith in Jeff to handle the recruiting.Hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps we overlooked the real character traits in Duval. Also, to benefit Duval by the same token we dont know was promised Tre.

OFC

You are right, that is definitely okay.

"You are terrible, you will never be considered a Dukie."
"Please stop playing basketball."
"You are a disgrace to the Duke basketball program."
"Nice turnover, you suck and I hope you get injured."
That was after 2 minutes of scrolling, I'm sure I could fine 100 more comments like that upon spending more time.

These were all tweeted directly at Duval by Duke "fans" all throughout the season. Please, go back and read his twitter timeline. Saying disgraceful things to an athlete on social media is uncalled for and again makes you look like a total idiot. Saying these same things on a message board is also terrible and yep your an idiot.

Trevon disappointed me all season, I expected the #1 PG recruit in the country to be much better than he was. Plus I don't think he was a great fit with the rest of our roster. Saying things like that I believe to be fine, but directly attacking one of our own......nope: take that BS elsewhere.
Saying things like “I hope he would get injured” crosses the line. Saying things like “you suck” is fine by me lol. Nothing personal. What fans do. I do it all the time with my Vikings ranting. Hey he dished it the whole season on his Twitter he should be able to take it imo. But yea I agree some of those comments were stupid and kinda makes me embarrassed to be a Duke fan becuase I’m associated with them. If In fact they were Duke fans that is.

I’m confused lol. So is that contradiction? I’m lost. I don’t remember what crowd was in what. Never mind I think I understand now .

Saying things like “I hope he would get injured” crosses the line. Saying things like “you suck” is fine by me lol. Nothing personal. What fans do. I do it all the time with my Vikings ranting. Hey he dished it the whole season on his Twitter he should be able to take it imo. But yea I agree some of those comments were stupid and kinda makes me embarrassed to be a Duke fan becuase I’m associated with them. If In fact they were Duke fans that is.
I had to edit my post. Telling a professional athlete earning a hefty paycheck he sucks is certainly fine, I’m a Bengals and Cavs fan so I do that all the time too, you’re right.
A college athlete though....those are some tricky waters.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT