ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning to wonder if Trevon enjoyed his time here

I mean, he attended API his junior year. He shouldn't have even been able to enroll at Duke... let alone be in a position to criticize Coach K for how he was used.

It wasn't Duke. He never wanted to attend college. IMHO he wouldn't have expect for his continued poor perimeter shooting his senior year of HS, culminating in a very mediocre showing during the all-star circuit. IDK how he'd have side stepped college, but I suspect a year at prep school or something. Heck, if the 3pt shooting hadn't been so bad, he might have been the first kid to go to the D league out of hs.
For many top HS players, the OAD rule is viewed as a necessary evil, or some bad tasting medicine they have to choke down. Which is fine, and I understand (though I don't agree with) that POV. But most of them accept it, and at least try to enjoy their time in college.
For his entire HS career he was lackluster about being forced to go to college. Further, he's smart enough to have realized how bad college would be for him. He'd have been a top 15 pick out of HS (projected higher before the workouts, but falling on draft night). But once his shooting woes became obvious, he simply wasn't first round pick. So, no, I don't think he enjoyed college.
In that same vein, he went from a projected lottery pick to a two way deal. That only cost him 7-10 million dollars. So, that disappointment has to factor in to the way he looks back at college.

Maybe K didn’t let Tre play to his strengths, but the important question is whether or not that would’ve been best for everyone. The problem with that pitbull analogy is thare are five pitbulls and the object of the game is to get the ball in the hoop, not “be scary.” Russell Westbrook style play isn’t going to win titles. And Steph Curry? I don’t think K would be coaching Tre so tightly if he could shoot like Steph. That whole video is moronic. Tre shouldn’t be seeking life perspective from a guy that disrespects women regularly, settles his petty beefs with the threat of guns but then b!tches out when a real gangster aims back, and brags about running red lights.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with his poor shot, nor the fact that he didn't want to be in college. It's probably as simple as what this guy is saying to be how Duval felt playing for K. If I were him, I would have felt the same way.

If you thought you were as good as Trevon thinks he is, would you have looked frustrated at times, and not having fun?
Whether we will be honest or not, there's a lot of truth in what the guy says in that clip, and I'm not surprised at all to see Trevon agree with it.

Remember, this is an 18 year old kid who has dominated every level he's probably played.

This has nothing to do with his poor shot, nor the fact that he didn't want to be in college. It's probably as simple as what this guy is saying to be how Duval felt playing for K. If I were him, I would have felt the same way.

If you thought you were as good as Trevon thinks he is, would you have looked frustrated at times, and not having fun?
Whether we will be honest or not, there's a lot of truth in what the guy says in that clip, and I'm not surprised at all to see Trevon agree with it.

Remember, this is an 18 year old kid who has dominated every level he's probably played.

What are you saying in the first paragraph of your post? Hard to get a read on.

Yeah, let's put individuals before the team. Every player is different, some can take being coached up and some think they already know everything. I guess it's best to unleash all 5 starters. Good grief.

Reactions: QC Dukie
What are you saying in the first paragraph of your post? Hard to get a read on.
So many people are quick to throw out his poor shooting, or his sometimes questionable decision making, and someone else said he didn't want to be in college. I say that's all nonsense. We are seeing it thru our eyes as fans.
All I'm saying is, if you were Duval, not a lifetime Duke fan, would you have thought you were used properly?

Coach K absolutely took his confidence. He took Marques confidence as a freshman and he hasn’t been the same since. He definitely took Semi Ojeleye confidence. Coach K doesn’t know how to handle a guy like Duval. That’s not his type of point guard. Duval is an attacking playmaker. Duke doesn’t usually get guys like that. I was shocked Coach K even got Trevon. Having him stand on the perimeter did him a disservice. We had two dominant big men but ran pick and roll less than anybody in major college basketball. Coach K has been very questionable in how he uses his personnel. Just like 2017 was the worst coaching job of his career. This year he won’t have to do much coaching because he has 4 studs. One is a true point guard and the others are just better than everyone else

Coach K absolutely took his confidence. He took Marques confidence as a freshman and he hasn’t been the same since. He definitely took Semi Ojeleye confidence. Coach K doesn’t know how to handle a guy like Duval. That’s not his type of point guard. Duval is an attacking playmaker. Duke doesn’t usually get guys like that. I was shocked Coach K even got Trevon. Having him stand on the perimeter did him a disservice. We had two dominant big men but ran pick and roll less than anybody in major college basketball. Coach K has been very questionable in how he uses his personnel. Just like 2017 was the worst coaching job of his career. This year he won’t have to do much coaching because he has 4 studs. One is a true point guard and the others are just better than everyone else

Coach K still has to get the Alpha Dogs of Williamson, Barrett, Reddish, and Jones to buy in and play for the team. I would not call that an “easy task/not doing much coaching”

K does come from an era when kids wanted to be coached by the best out of high school not this new crop who think they are the best because of all star games .

Best of luck to Duval

This is why K, Calipari, and a few others have the toughest jobs in college basketball. When you bring in 5 star talent at every position it is impossible to keep everyone happy. Most of these guys do not play for the name on the front of the jersey, it is just the way things are now. First we had the Carters calling out Duke and its coaches and now Duval. It is not going to change until the 1 and done rule is gone. These guys are worried about themselves and that’s it.

It won’t change then. Every top sixty kid believes they are NBA worthy.

I do think with them being able to receive input from agents this will help temper some of the high school player’s egos and have a desire to show they can be coached. Also if these players don’t think teams don’t talk to the coaches they are crazy. Duval needs to focus on what’s infront of him and that’s staying in the league.

People also forget one of the knocks on Duval coming into college was how scouts would be looking at his ability to lead and run a team and not just be a scoring option.

This couch coach again with this pick and roll bull sh!t...Coach K did this, did that, blah blah...Bolonga.... Maybe K will give this next group a pacifier and wipe their as$ so they can play better....:confused:
Or maybe K has simply had it with high egos and being the escape goat for players that he’s decided for his remainder of his career he wants to coach players who believe they can be taught.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Or maybe K has simply had it with high egos and being the escape goat for players that he’s decided for his remainder of his career he wants to coach players who believe they can be taught.
Who knows

Riddle me this: How do you run pick and roll with a PG who can't shoot from outside and bigs who are not pick and pop shooters? I am not a hoops X and O guy, but I just don't see why that would have been so effective.
Well I think Duval just wanted to run wild and not worry about organization like he did in high school. Too bad that stuff aint working in the NBA where everyone is the same level athlete as Tre, but taller. Why would he come to Duke if he just wants to run wild and be an athlete? There are plenty of high level program for that. Dude, go to VCU or Florida with that mess.

He was the best Duke player on the floor against Kansas.

His turnover against UVA at home in the last minute was one of my angriest moments of the year.

Reactions: Quavarius and dbav
He was the best Duke player on the floor against Kansas.

His turnover against UVA at home in the last minute was one of my angriest moments of the year.
And when he retweeted his own Dunk minutes after the hole loss. That did not set well with me! Should have read the warning signs then, that it was all about him and not the team.

Bolden had a great week of practice at the McD's game, though he didn't play all that well in the actual game. Prior to that he was in the 15-30 range, which was a more accurate assessment of his ability. Getting off the bus, and going trough warm ups, Bolden looks like a top tier NBA C. He's nearly 7 ft tall, has a plus wingspan, and moves fairly well. But his hoops IQ isn't great. And the questions about his motor have proven prescient. He's basically a Plumlee, with better size, and a slower motor. A lot of Bolden's problems would be ameliorated if he played harder. Much harder.
Semi was a kid that played vs a bunch of 6-3 farm kids that had no college level athleticism. Kansas didn't bother to recruit him, despite him being in state. Should have been a red flag. Further, he's had success at the NBA level because he embraced the role that K wanted him to embrace. Semi left because he didn't want to play like that, only to later realize that was how he had to play.
Duval was a poor job by K. We should have run PnR. And not only would it have been better for TD, it would have been better for Duke. Our best game last year was vs MSU, and we played well vs KU when TD was more aggressive. Bags was an unnecessary addition, and I really hope he does well in the NBA, because he didn't really help Duke. What he gave us on O and the boards, he largely gave back on D. Really, the only person truly hurt by Duke running PnR was Allen, and heaven knows we were never going to employ such a strategy.
But you are dead on about last year. The 16-17 year was a horrifically bad coaching job by K. If not for the existence of that clunker, LAST year would have been his worst job. It was bad, K was just lucky that it followed a much worse year.

Bolden had a great week of practice at the McD's game, though he didn't play all that well in the actual game. Prior to that he was in the 15-30 range, which was a more accurate assessment of his ability. Getting off the bus, and going trough warm ups, Bolden looks like a top tier NBA C. He's nearly 7 ft tall, has a plus wingspan, and moves fairly well. But his hoops IQ isn't great. And the questions about his motor have proven prescient. He's basically a Plumlee, with better size, and a slower motor. A lot of Bolden's problems would be ameliorated if he played harder. Much harder.
Semi was a kid that played vs a bunch of 6-3 farm kids that had no college level athleticism. Kansas didn't bother to recruit him, despite him being in state. Should have been a red flag. Further, he's had success at the NBA level because he embraced the role that K wanted him to embrace. Semi left because he didn't want to play like that, only to later realize that was how he had to play.
Duval was a poor job by K. We should have run PnR. And not only would it have been better for TD, it would have been better for Duke. Our best game last year was vs MSU, and we played well vs KU when TD was more aggressive. Bags was an unnecessary addition, and I really hope he does well in the NBA, because he didn't really help Duke. What he gave us on O and the boards, he largely gave back on D. Really, the only person truly hurt by Duke running PnR was Allen, and heaven knows we were never going to employ such a strategy.
But you are dead on about last year. The 16-17 year was a horrifically bad coaching job by K. If not for the existence of that clunker, LAST year would have been his worst job. It was bad, K was just lucky that it followed a much worse year.

Saying “he’s basically a plumlee” is an insult? Mason was a beast his senior year And Marshall and miles were solid players.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
These are decent arguments, but I’m just not sure about the pick and roll take. Let me think on that.

I agree with this. Allen couldn’t play without the ball in his hands. He wasn’t a 3 and D guy. The offense had to run through Allen for Allen to be successful which destroyed Duval’s role like it destroyed Thornton’s role before him.

Duval couldn’t shoot which hurt him and had bad decision making.

Did someone say Thornton? How’s his USC career going. Never mind the only time I see his name is on this board.

People are gonna make escape goats. It’s the only way they can handle their short comings.

Did someone say Thornton? How’s his USC career going. Never mind the only time I see his name is on this board.

People are gonna make escape goats. It’s the only way they can handle their short comings.
But haven't you heard, Coach K yells at innocent mothers for no reason at all. I heard this from a credible source.

GpGD.gif

Bags was an unnecessary addition, and I really hope he does well in the NBA, because he didn't really help Duke. What he gave us on O and the boards, he largely gave back on D. Really, the only person truly hurt by Duke running PnR was Allen, and heaven knows we were never going to employ such a strategy.

Bags made us a title contender. He was 6th in the nation in player efficiency. His man-to-man defense was very poor at times, even Jabari-esque, but the zone defense masked his deficiencies for the most part. You can't underestimate the strength of his offense. It's not like offense to defense is a 1 to 1 match. Teams successfully score at a higher rate than they defend. Our true shooting percentage, for example, was 58.4%. So it's helpful when you have a guy like Bags that has a TS% north of 64%. When you look at the offensive and defensive ratings (points scored per 100 possessions), Marvin Bagley was +30, which was the 2nd highest on the team, behind only Wendell Carter.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Anytime you agree with Dachamp over the 5 TIME CHAMP i will no longer take any of your “Novels” you presume to write seriously....Hell even read....Lmao. Everything you said (or say) is :confused:...Good day:)

So many people are quick to throw out his poor shooting, or his sometimes questionable decision making, and someone else said he didn't want to be in college. I say that's all nonsense. We are seeing it thru our eyes as fans.
All I'm saying is, if you were Duval, not a lifetime Duke fan, would you have thought you were used properly?

Well, I think people throw out the poor shooting because it was, in fact, really poor. Both from the perimeter and the line. He averaged almost three turnovers per game. That's reality. And yes, it's entirely possible many are seeing it "through their own eyes"....but reality is still reality. No one is saying he isn't very talented.

Whether he was used correctly as an individual isn't the only common theme here. Could he have showcased himself better in the PnR offense? Entirely possible....and I'd even say pretty likely. But he's still making himself look like an entitled, little brat.

He's going to get every opportunity to prove himself going forward....and I hope he succeeds. But if he doesn't learn to hit water from a boat he's never going to be anything more than a footnote in the NBA. Besides, he's showing sides of himself right now that aren't very flattering. And if anyone thinks for a moment that potential future bosses aren't noticing, they're wrong. For as much as he might "think" Coach K damaged him, he's doing more bad than good to his reputation going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT