ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball assistant coaches arrested

Now Pisgah, you know that unx program is squeaky clean.......
I understand why unx fans would want Duke to be involved but if ya really wanna be objective ( "Take off the glasses" ) and you're a fan of theirs , why not be more concerned about yourself being dragged back into this mess? One school has been under NCAA investigation in one form of another for 7 years...an' countin!' One hasn't. One school lost their football coach and assistants due to scandal. One hasn't. One school's basketball program and head coach has been ( and still is ) under NCAA scrutiny. One hasn't. One school has seen their reputation exposed as fraudulent and been dragged thru the mud. One hasn't. Tell me again why unx fans think they're somehow LESS likely than Duke to be tied up in this?

I understand why unx fans would want Duke to be involved but if ya really wanna be objective ( "Take off the glasses" ) and you're a fan of theirs , why not be more concerned about yourself being dragged back into this mess? One school has been under NCAA investigation in one form of another for 7 years...an' countin!' One hasn't. One school lost their football coach and assistants due to scandal. One hasn't. One school's basketball program and head coach has been ( and still is ) under NCAA scrutiny. One hasn't. One school has seen their reputation exposed as fraudulent and been dragged thru the mud. One hasn't. Tell me again why unx fans think they're somehow LESS likely than Duke to be tied up in this?
Amen DevilDJ......that berry clown seems very interested in this recent scandal and if Duke is involved. I'm curious what his interest level is in the 2+ decade long corruption going on at that "school" eight miles down the road.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Coming out now that Arizona offered a 2018 recruit $150,000. Guess they are next up. Man, this is getting uglier and uglier every day.

I'm certainly not a UNC fan and I think they are less likely. Simply because they aren't signing the kinds of players who are taking money. They spent millions defending the AFAM scam but they don't have 100k for top ranked players? It just seems unlikely. We are signing top ranked players. If I'm totally neutral, I'd have to say we are more likely to have paid for players.
I still think we are less likely than a LOT of other programs out there that are landing talent way beyond their means. Duke SHOULD be able to land top talent without paying them. But if UNC has been paying for talent....I mean what did some of these guys cost?

Reactions: carolinablue34
I'm certainly not a UNC fan and I think they are less likely. Simply because they aren't signing the kinds of players who are taking money. They spent millions defending the AFAM scam but they don't have 100k for top ranked players? It just seems unlikely. We are signing top ranked players. If I'm totally neutral, I'd have to say we are more likely to have paid for players.
I still think we are less likely than a LOT of other programs out there that are landing talent way beyond their means. Duke SHOULD be able to land top talent without paying them. But if UNC has been paying for talent....I mean what did some of these guys cost?
What of the kids already there or recently gone? No , they haven't been at Duke's level but who has other than Cal? Berry Jackson Paige Pinson Bradley Johnson et al? Can't link it from here but Roy's had 9 guys who were considered 5-star recruits in the last 10 years. They were cheap? Less likely to be bought? Please. "Once a cheat..."

What of the kids already there or recently gone? No , they haven't been at Duke's level but who has other than Cal? Berry Jackson Paige Pinson Bradley Johnson et al? Can't link it from here but Roy's had 9 guys who were considered 5-star recruits in the last 10 years. They were cheap? Less likely to be bought? Please. "Once a cheat..."

BINGO

OFC

Then Roy is one smart SOB or has some guys in high places. Because it seems they turned off the flow of money at about the same time it sounds like this investigation started (2015).
I think Roy is a damn cheater and knew full well what was going on with AFAM. And UNC should get hammered over it. But that's not what we're talking about here. If we just look at kids getting paid, UNC is being out-recruited by a large number of schools for the very top talent. It's presumably those kids that are the ones getting paid, so I'd think UNC is less likely to be doing it.

So you want me to take off my Duke shades but then proceed to go on a four post diatribe with conspiracy theories and typical rival fan cliche arguments- Duke bigs only set screens (Bagely isn't a center btw just as an FYI), K sold out to the Cal model (so even though we've been recruiting the same kids forever and landing them we should stop? Bc the system is OAD?). Then you go on to do the typical Capel has to be doing something "I remember Oklahoma!" Schtick while backhand praising K to try and puff up your argument. Then you openly admit you hope it's true just to throw shade at family members that are Duke fans and are essentially admitting that there are many reasons why an elite recruit doesn't take the $100k to go play for USC. The Bagleys don't need the money. They also know building up their brand is a lot more important. I'm not naive enough to sit here and say it couldn't happen here or anywhere else, that's just foolish. What I am saying is I don't go around running the conspiracy theory game based on some rant that Dickie V has about the OAD system and kids graduating HS early to get to the league faster. You and he have something in common though, neither have a clue about the amount of work and organization the Bagleys had to put forth on their own to reclassify to the same class he was originally in.

I might be a rival fan, but I'm capable of taking my fandom out of the equation. Obviously Bagley isn't a C he's a PF? You've had one "elite" big the last handful of years, yet keep getting top ranked bigs. Your 4s of recently have been SFs: Parker, Winslow, Ingram, Tatum. Who knows if K even tries to get Bagley to reclassify if y'all land Knox. Y'all land him there would have been another SF starting at your 4. Jeter and Bolden were both highly touted bigs yet they rot on the bench. At least Jeter was smart enough to get out this year, ironically he chose to go to Arizona and then the year before Derryck Thornton goes to SoCal. Hell yeah part of me hope it's true, don't act like you wouldn't wish the same thing on UNC because you're a liar if you say otherwise. But I also realize if either one of us are part of this then the rivalry pretty much dies. They might not "need" that 100K but be real here you'd rather be a 100K richer then to not be. Lets way the options here don't get a dime and spend the little time you're going to in college in dingy Durham or get a 100K and go play in Los Angeles and be right down the street from Hollywood. Come on man. He wont be building his brand he'll be building K's brand.

Hell yeah part of me hope it's true, don't act like you wouldn't wish the same thing on UNC because you're a liar if you say otherwise. But I also realize if either one of us are part of this then the rivalry pretty much dies.
How does the rivalry die? You guys committed the biggest academic fraud in the history of college sports and I wouldn't call the rivalry dead. If the NCAA actually hands out an appropriate penalty, do you think the rivalry dies? No. You guys lose a couple banners, take some hits for several years and recover.
If this thing is 100 schools deep, do you really think the NCAA is going to crush 100 schools and ban them all from postseason play? And turn their big money maker (March Madness) into a joke? I don't think so. This rivalry is not going to suffer because of this, however it shakes out. That is, unless on top of the biggest academic scandal, UNC is also a major player in the biggest money scandal. Then you really will see the hammer come down.

I might be a rival fan, but I'm capable of taking my fandom out of the equation. Obviously Bagley isn't a C he's a PF? You've had one "elite" big the last handful of years, yet keep getting top ranked bigs. Your 4s of recently have been SFs: Parker, Winslow, Ingram, Tatum. Who knows if K even tries to get Bagley to reclassify if y'all land Knox. Y'all land him there would have been another SF starting at your 4. Jeter and Bolden were both highly touted bigs yet they rot on the bench. At least Jeter was smart enough to get out this year, ironically he chose to go to Arizona and then the year before Derryck Thornton goes to SoCal. Hell yeah part of me hope it's true, don't act like you wouldn't wish the same thing on UNC because you're a liar if you say otherwise. But I also realize if either one of us are part of this then the rivalry pretty much dies. They might not "need" that 100K but be real here you'd rather be a 100K richer then to not be. Lets way the options here don't get a dime and spend the little time you're going to in college in dingy Durham or get a 100K and go play in Los Angeles and be right down the street from Hollywood. Come on man. He wont be building his brand he'll be building K's brand.

So you took off the fan glasses and your entire point is still that we must be involved because we got recruits that you don't think were used correctly.

77c.jpg

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Reactions: DukeDenver
Do you know how to take off fan glasses?

Reactions: DukeDenver

Right...so because we've had issues with academics that automatically means we're somehow caught up in this latest cheating scandal that we haven't been mentioned in?

Take the blinders off dude, UNC hasn't landed a top 5 recruit since Harrison Barnes. If all these kids are choosing to go elsewhere, why on earth would that make it more likely that we paid players? It's a separate issue. Say what you want about the AFAM scandal, but that does not equate to Roy paying players.

Personally, I believe most if not all D-1 schools bend the rules. Duke and UNC included. The question is how much. I don't feel anyone is safe personally, but if anyone is least likely to be named in it, it's us. And don't give the usual "because of the scandal, because of football, etc." that's not a valid argument.

Wow, so you think all those players were paid with no evidence to back it up whatsoever. And you guys laugh at radar...

When someone finds themselves in a hole....stop digging.

Last edited:
Knew it wouldn't be long before my ole buddy showed back up over here to (in his words) "be civil and talk basketball "......

DevilDJ this is a perfect post. Walter Cronkite couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:
Roy "sold out" to OAD's and the next time he "develops" anyone will be one of the few times he's done it. If you're not pretty much a finished product when ya play for Roy , well , good luck. That's why he has to have the absolute best of the best outta high school. This notion that he somehow scraped by with average guys and turned 'em into champs is a lie. His highly ranked guys STAYED while Duke's and UK's ( and others ) left. That's why his recruiting is down. Not because he eschews OAD's. He doesn't. Sure , the cheating scandal has hurt Roy but he's also suffered because his Burger Boys are still in school , undeveloped , while their peers are already in the league. There were what? 4 Top 25 guys still in school last year? Roy had 3 of 'em. THAT hurts recruiting. It just does. He tried to get Bradley to come back. Kids see that kinda selfishness and run away. unx fans ignore the fact that Roy complains about being unable to get the elite recruits to even visit. Well , in this climate , kids wanna go for a year or two then move on. Roy's cultivated a rep as a coach who discourages that. McAdoo ( for example ) was a lottery pick after his freshmen year. Roy shoulda pushed him out. Talked him into staying and look what happened. From first round to undrafted. Williams cost that kid millions. Recruits SEE this stuff. So let's get past this notion that Roy's style has changed. It hasn't. The scandal and his failure to get elite recruits to the league has been why he's recruiting guys ranked in the hundreds instead of the OAD-types he prefers. And btw...Chris Hawkins is part of this investigation. That would scare the bugeezus outta me if I was a unx fan. Mr. Peanut Butter and Pepper already screwed ya once.

Roy hasn't sold out to the OADs? LMAO. He might recruit them, but he'll never sell out and have to replace basically his entire team every year. Would he take 1 or 2 a year? Well yeah because he feels like they'll put his team over the top. Roy hasn't developed anyone? You must be the troll on this board. You think Brice Johnson was a finished product when he came into college? What about Marcus Paige? Please don't make me laugh and insinuate that Kennedy Meeks wasn't developed because that would be hilarious. I suppose you don't remember how bad of a 3 point shooter Justin Jackson was as a freshman, that's the only thing IMO that kept him from being OAD. None of the "higher" ranked recruits like Marcus Paige, Brice Johnson, Meeks, Hicks, Berry, JJacks, Theo were ready to leave for the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons. That's why they stayed. He tried to get Bradley to come back because he could've used another year in college. NO ONE thought he was OAD. Bradley was told he would be picked one of the last three picks in the first round, but that is shaky at best. Just because they tell you one thing doesn't mean it's going down like that. Looking back now yeah McAdoo should have went and took the money, but who is to say he stayed in college because he wanted to? He did end up marrying the girl he met there. The same goes for Barnes here, what if he genuinely enjoyed college and stayed because he knew that they had a really good shot at winning the title his sophomore year. He knew he was going to get money anyway. And hey he does have an NBA ring now. Why is there this preconceived notion that Roy that holds his players back and it isn't their own choosing to stay in college? I could have told you by the way McAdoo played his freshman year that he wasn't the same as some other highly touted recruits. Idk how to describe it but I've always questioned how good he could be in the NBA. Hicks has a very similar game to McAdoo so of course I have the same questions about him. That isn't a knock on them, if they can't cut it in the NBA they both can make a lot of money over seas playing. And selfishness? So where does that put K with getting to Derryck Thornton to reclassify and then running him out of town? What about Chase Jeter? Gbinije? Ojeleye? Jeter? Bolden seems to be next on this list. What about Grayson Allen? Kid would have most likely been in the lottery and made millions coming out after his sophomore season, but nah. At least Kennard was smart enough to leave after he blew up. Yeah I would be worried about Hawkins if UNC hadn't cut ties with him a while back. Maybe I'm wrong but the only reason he's being brought up is because he has ties to Marty Blazer who is the reason all of this is happening. Oh and like you said we're getting sub 100 guys if we're paying that type of player to come to UNC well you get my point.

I'd be stunned if Duke or UNC paid players to attend. Every program has taken a dip at some point while these two programs continue to churn out national titles. The prestige of playing at Duke or UNC outweighs the money other programs offer.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
There is no difference between recruiting OAD's and "selling out." Ya either want 'em or ya don't. Roy does. He said so. This "he'd only take one or two" spiel is nonsense. Just like any coach , he'll take the best guys he can. Heck , he goes deeper into his bench than K does so numbers aren't a problem. Geez Louise , Roy "sold out" a long time ago anyway...as did his mentor. So what is it now , B-Rad? He turned a blind eye to the worst scandal in NCAA history that didn't involve pedophelia but he draws the line at the number of OAD's he chases? That's laughable. Oh and he did such a remarkable job "developing" players that the last NBA All-Stars that came from unx were named Carter and Jamison. Lol. He didn't produce at KU beyond Paul Pierce and ( maybe ) Kirk Heinrich. THAT is a huge reason his recruiting is down. All those guys have peers. They were all rated highly. Thing is , only Roy's stayed. Wow. Poor Roy. Worst luck in the world. Every other Burger Boy bolts. His? Nope. Lol. Oh yeah. "Development." BWAHAHAHAHA!

It's been a while since some many new troll heels have posted on this Duke board. Where are they coning from. We should have saw it coming. OFC

Wow, so you think all those players were paid with no evidence to back it up whatsoever. And you guys laugh at radar...
Didn't say they were paid. My point went over your head. Time for another AFAM class...or EXSS...or COMM...whatever. I said unc's best players ( OAD everywhere else. Again , poor Roy. Terrible luck , huh? Must be all that "development" ) either left recently or are still in school. IOW , they're just as likely to get dinged as Duke...or not. And again...for the umpteenth time...when your school has been exposed the way unx has been? Don't be shocked if rivals , ya know , "raise an eyebrow" at ya. "We're unx! We would NEVER do dirt! Ever!" Lol. Please.

It's been a while since some many new troll heels have posted on this Duke board. Where are they coning from. We should have saw it coming. OFC
I’d almost be willing to bet that they’re probably regular posters over at THR using different screen names over here than the screen names they use over at THR.

Roy hasn't sold out to the OADs? LMAO. He might recruit them, but he'll never sell out and have to replace basically his entire team every year. Would he take 1 or 2 a year? Well yeah because he feels like they'll put his team over the top. Roy hasn't developed anyone? You must be the troll on this board. You think Brice Johnson was a finished product when he came into college? What about Marcus Paige? Please don't make me laugh and insinuate that Kennedy Meeks wasn't developed because that would be hilarious. I suppose you don't remember how bad of a 3 point shooter Justin Jackson was as a freshman, that's the only thing IMO that kept him from being OAD. None of the "higher" ranked recruits like Marcus Paige, Brice Johnson, Meeks, Hicks, Berry, JJacks, Theo were ready to leave for the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons. That's why they stayed. He tried to get Bradley to come back because he could've used another year in college. NO ONE thought he was OAD. Bradley was told he would be picked one of the last three picks in the first round, but that is shaky at best. Just because they tell you one thing doesn't mean it's going down like that. Looking back now yeah McAdoo should have went and took the money, but who is to say he stayed in college because he wanted to? He did end up marrying the girl he met there. The same goes for Barnes here, what if he genuinely enjoyed college and stayed because he knew that they had a really good shot at winning the title his sophomore year. He knew he was going to get money anyway. And hey he does have an NBA ring now. Why is there this preconceived notion that Roy that holds his players back and it isn't their own choosing to stay in college? I could have told you by the way McAdoo played his freshman year that he wasn't the same as some other highly touted recruits. Idk how to describe it but I've always questioned how good he could be in the NBA. Hicks has a very similar game to McAdoo so of course I have the same questions about him. That isn't a knock on them, if they can't cut it in the NBA they both can make a lot of money over seas playing. And selfishness? So where does that put K with getting to Derryck Thornton to reclassify and then running him out of town? What about Chase Jeter? Gbinije? Ojeleye? Jeter? Bolden seems to be next on this list. What about Grayson Allen? Kid would have most likely been in the lottery and made millions coming out after his sophomore season, but nah. At least Kennard was smart enough to leave after he blew up. Yeah I would be worried about Hawkins if UNC hadn't cut ties with him a while back. Maybe I'm wrong but the only reason he's being brought up is because he has ties to Marty Blazer who is the reason all of this is happening. Oh and like you said we're getting sub 100 guys if we're paying that type of player to come to UNC well you get my point.

Just checking.

OAD = One-and-dones; these are the best freshman that are perceived to be the top talent in a particular recruiting class and able to go pro with a high draft pick as required by the age restriction put on by the NBA.

-Therefore-

The best talent in the recruiting class typically is referred to as OADs. I mean why not? Having that much money put in front of you -- it would be pretty foolish to pass it up.

Now, does Duke go after the best talent possible or not? I think we do, by default that means that we go after OADs. Is it optimal? No. But there it is.

I think that UNC has gone after OADs, they have just not chosen UNC. You guys have reached out and extended offers to a number of OADs, right? I mean who wouldn't go after the best talent possible? I think Barnes would have bolted after his first year if he had the season that he was projected to have. Instead he left after two years. I think he enjoyed college and loved UNC.

UNC has not gotten the recruits simply because the AFAM scandal and the ongoing investigation has put a damper on your recruiting. Trying to make this something else is pretty laughable. Do you really think that Coach Williams would pass on Zion, Bagley, or Reddish? Do you really?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
We had 700 trolls that posted once earlier in the week. Shouldn't shock anybody they're showing up today

CB34 is good people, he just roots for the wrong team.

Plenty of actual trolls in this thread though lead by the "I'm not wearing my unc shades" but....B3rry

Didn't say they were paid. My point went over your head. Time for another AFAM class...or EXSS...or COMM...whatever. I said unc's best players ( OAD everywhere else. Again , poor Roy. Terrible luck , huh? Must be all that "development" ) either left recently or are still in school. IOW , they're just as likely to get dinged as Duke...or not. And again...for the umpteenth time...when your school has been exposed the way unx has been? Don't be shocked if rivals , ya know , "raise an eyebrow" at ya. "We're unx! We would NEVER do dirt! Ever!" Lol. Please.

It's perfectly understandable why duke fans would be skeptical of anything unc right now. That being said, neither of our respective teams has been named in this corruption case. Would it surprise me if either had bent the rules? Nope. And given uncs misses on top players this decade, I think it's even less likely we get named. Just my thought on it. As much as I hate Duke, I don't make accusations without evidence either.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
It's perfectly understandable why duke fans would be skeptical of anything unc right now. That being said, neither of our respective teams has been named in this corruption case. Would it surprise me if either had bent the rules? Nope. And given uncs misses on top players this decade, I think it's even less likely we get named. Just my thought on it. As much as I hate Duke, I don't make accusations without evidence either.
Well that's the whole thing, really as is known by now, I just get annoyed by people making unsubstantiated claims. I mean I get it, you can say whatever you want online and not be held to it...but you just look like a schmuck. Happens quite a bit on your board as you know.

Look, I don't think there is anyone that truthfully believes there isn't a chance that some bending of rules might occur everywhere. But this is the FBI, they're going after the big fish here, the big crimes. Maybe the NCAA would try and sniff around the little infractions and hand out slaps on the wrist like they're Halloween candy, but the FBI has bigger things to worry about.

I think my concern isn't with Duke and our staff, it's the unknown of did any players accept payments before they came to Duke from agents or handlers.

Take the blinders off dude, UNC hasn't landed a top 5 recruit since Harrison Barnes. If all these kids are choosing to go elsewhere, why on earth would that make it more likely that we paid players? It's a separate issue. Say what you want about the AFAM scandal, but that does not equate to Roy paying players.

Look , the possibility , POSSIBILITY! , exists because Roy has top talent on his roster. And just because this investigation ( supposedly ) only covers from 2015 forward , schools that pay players didn't just start in 2015. unx is dirty. They just are. They've proven they're capable of anything. Get off your high horse. "We DID do that but we WOULDN'T do this." Is that it? Please. Kids are going elsewhere because...

1) The cheating scandal. Until it's resolved , it'll remain an issue to one extent or the other.

2) Roy's lack of development. Fer cryin' out loud , enough with this , "Roy's not getting top players so the reason for it must be that other schools are paying and he isn't." After the last 7 years , is there just one unx fan willing to concede the fact that Roy is far from pure? Take this current FBI thing outta the equation. Remove the NCAA scandal too. unx STILL has issues with top reruits coming in and staying longer than they do elsewhere...and it ain't even close. Oh yeah , I forgot. "They weren't ready." "Roy's lookin' out for 'em." smh. At this point , I'm not sure it even matters. "Perception IS reality." Coaches can say , "Come here , play with other great players , challenge for titles then go get your money." More to the point those coaches can use that against Roy. "Go to unx , play 18 minutes a game in a rigid system and maybe play enough to get noticed. Oh and don't be shocked if your coach encourages ya to return. He's kinda selfish that way." How many years did Duke fans have to listen to the , "unx sends our guys to the pros the second they're ready while K selfishly holds on to every kid?" Shoes on the other foot now , holes. And no one's equating AFAM ( it wasn't only AFAM btw. Other depts involved too. But I digress ) with Roy paying players. What we ARE equating is the fact that unx has an academic scandal and skated on a whole bunch of other stuff...Pell Grant fraud , Wheelz4Heelz , Fats Thomas , Iceberg etc that fits nicely with the possibility of "paying players." Again , you guys KNOW all this. It's been 7 years. Why act shocked when rivals don't give unx the benefit of the doubt. unx did that to themselves , not us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT