ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball assistant coaches arrested

A list of 5 stars who signed contracts with shoe companies that also had contracts with their school:
2016 class...
#2 Harry Giles - Duke - Nike
#3 Jayson Tatum - Duke - Nike
#5 Markelle Fultz - Washington - Nike
#6 DeAaron Fox - Kentucky - Nike
#7 Bam Adebayo - Kentucky - Nike
#8 Jonathan Isaac - Florida State - Nike
#9 Malik Monk - Kentucky - Nike

A list of 5 stars who signed contracts with shoe companies that also had contracts with their school:
2016 class...

A Player played ball for a major power school and then signed a Nike deal?....I'd say this list is WAY short for how many times that has happened.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
It sure did sound like Dickie V threw a shot at y'all earlier. It might be time to get a little worried
lfOgWl2.png

Not at all
I think every school that has been successful at getting elite recruits should be quiet concerned. I read somewhere that the FBI is successful in their prosecutions at a whopping 97 percent. They simply don't seek indictment unless conviction is fairly certain. Seems to me It would seem quiet natural for them to view recruiting success of top players as red flags. The more they look at a school the more they are likely to find something. I hope if and or when they look at Duke its fast and clean. I dread this so much for college basketball, another drawn out scandal the sport doesn't need.

Only thing I'm worried about is if we have enough lockers for all the de-commits that are going to be coming our way!!

All seriousness, I agree with gottago....hate to see this for the game

That Dickie V is one hell of a an insider!!!

He basically condemned coaches that manipulate players into graduating early. Said something along the lines of players who are Juniors in June, graduate high school in August and are enrolled in college.

That sure does sound an awful like Bagley.

And if y'all remember Arizona and SoCal were huge players for him.

He basically condemned coaches that manipulate players into graduating early. Said something along the lines of players who are Juniors in June, graduate high school in August and are enrolled in college.

I heard what he said. You can spin it as much as you would like. The FBI who is investigating this for multiple years doesn't give a shit about something like that. They're investigating a multi billion dollar fraud/corruption/collision case here. Dickie V is essentially talking about something that is entirely unrelated to this. So to be honest I'm not quite sure what your point is.

To take it one step further in what Dickie V is saying, he has no actual inside knowledge of the process it takes, how to get to that point nor what kids have the opportunity to do it and who don't. Take off the fan glasses for a second and you'll see it has absolutely nothing to do with this, not even in the slightest. If he does not like the current landscape, that's one thing and truthfully he's using this airtime to vent it.

Nike is next so who takes the hits? And btw every program is dirty you're lying if you think one doesn't "bend" the rules
I'm with you, but to me there is a difference in bending the rules vs coaches accepting money to steer players. Do I think Duke has ever in history done something against the rules? Maybe? But do I think we have been involved in paying players? Or our coaches accepting money to steer players toward certain agents or shoe companies? I 100% do not believe that has been happening. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's where I am today.

I'm with you, but to me there is a difference in bending the rules vs coaches accepting money to steer players. Do I think Duke has ever in history done something against the rules? Maybe? But do I think we have been involved in paying players? Or our coaches accepting money to steer players toward certain agents or shoe companies? I 100% do not believe that has been happening. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's where I am today.

I tend to agree but won't be surprised if it's the other way

Reactions: topps coach
Nike is next so who takes the hits? And btw every program is dirty you're lying if you think one doesn't "bend" the rules
Agree with the bending part Pisgah. Totally different times now and the way the system is set up, NCAA wants the elite talent to go to the premier schools. It makes for great tv, and as long as something is not blatantly obvious, these kids will get a pass to play for their "suggested" one season. Too much money made for them to nit pick every program. The ratings are better when Duke is contending as well.
I wouldnt necessarily say Duke is dirty, but Duke and K bend more now than they used to, in my opinion.
This whole mess further proves that some serious changes must happen.

Reactions: pisgah101
I tend to agree but won't be surprised if it's the other way
Let's just hope....I have always said one of the great things about being a Duke fan is you don't have to dread being embarrassed by stuff like this.... We shall see, but I am remaining confident until something takes it away from me. Let's just say this thing is grossly wide spread throughout ever power school that gets top recruits....then what? I mean does the entire top 25 fire their coaches? It's going to be interesting to see how big this gets and what the ramifications are.

Reactions: pisgah101
I heard what he said. You can spin it as much as you would like. The FBI who is investigating this for multiple years doesn't give a shit about something like that. They're investigating a multi billion dollar fraud/corruption/collision case here. Dickie V is essentially talking about something that is entirely unrelated to this. So to be honest I'm not quite sure what your point is.

To take it one step further in what Dickie V is saying, he has no actual inside knowledge of the process it takes, how to get to that point nor what kids have the opportunity to do it and who don't. Take off the fan glasses for a second and you'll see it has absolutely nothing to do with this, not even in the slightest. If he does not like the current landscape, that's one thing and truthfully he's using this airtime to vent it.

Bro for 2 seconds take off your Duke blue sunglasses and think.

"Four NCAA assistant basketball coaches were indicted in a fraud and corruption scheme — which also included managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company — by federal authorities on Tuesday.

According to the FBI complaints made public, the four coaches involved are Auburn assistant Chuck Person, Southern California assistant Tony Bland, Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson and Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans." (USAToday)

I don't care how big of a brand name Duke has, if Arizona or SoCal are throwing out money to players like 100K can you honestly with a straight face think he's going to say screw that money I wanna go play a Duke? A school who for many years now outside of 2015 with Okafor, has played almost exclusively guard/SF oriented or with one true big who rebounds and sets screens.

Last edited:
That must be how Missouri got Porter.....and zona got Ayton....and how Texas got Bamba!!.....I KNEW something was going on!!!!

Bro for 2 seconds take off your Duke blue sunglasses and think.

"Four NCAA assistant basketball coaches were indicted in a fraud and corruption scheme — which also included managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company — by federal authorities on Tuesday.

According to the FBI complaints made public, the four coaches involved are Auburn assistant Chuck Person, Southern California assistant Tony Bland, Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson and Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans." (USAToday)

I don't care how big of a brand name Duke has, if Arizona or SoCal are throwing out money to players like 100K can you honestly with a straight face think he's going to say screw that money I wanna go play a Duke? A school who for many years now outside of 2015 with Okafor, has played almost exclusively guard/SF oriented or with one true big who rebounds and sets screens.
The coaches named aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. K runs a tight ship, the guys under him have a good thing going and truly respect him and I don't think they would betray his trust.
Coach K IS a brand, not just Duke, and personally I don't see him allowing anyone to screw his situation up, and his assistants played for him too, so that helps. He's the smartest one in the game and knows the sharks are out there, so I think he dots his I's and crosses his T's. Has nothing to do with bias, pal.

That must be how Missouri got Porter.....and zona got Ayton....and how Texas got Bamba!!.....I KNEW something was going on!!!!

Well there was one recruit that I remember reading that lauded Arizona's ability to get to the ELITE 8.

Why did Dennis go to State and play for Mark Gottfired?

Why would Markelle Fultz a kid from Maryland go all the way across the country to Seattle, Washington to play for a coach who hadn't even made the NCAA tournament since the 2010-11 season?

I get what you're saying....some commits can raise eyebrows... but to me, a kid leaving Maryland and going to Washington isn't the same as a kid picking a perennial powerhouse and one of the greatest coaches of all time.....no matter where he is from. I know a lot of people want Duke to be involved in this and get hammered, but I do not believe it. I don't think they would risk it. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but my confidence is high that we are fine.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The coaches named aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. K runs a tight ship, the guys under him have a good thing going and truly respect him and I don't think they would betray his trust.
Coach K IS a brand, not just Duke, and personally I don't see him allowing anyone to screw his situation up, and his assistants played for him too, so that helps. He's the smartest one in the game and knows the sharks are out there, so I think he dots his I's and crosses his T's. Has nothing to do with bias, pal.

I believe everyone under him respects the hell outta him there's no denying that. Hell as a Heel I have immense respect for him. I also believe that K becoming a brand was a problem. Just look at the past handful of years. He sold out and followed Cals model with OADs instead of developing players like he use to, he has 5 star players riding the pine or barely playing. He knows that he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning so it's like he's in that win now mode, but therein lies the problem, his assistant(s) know this and they want to see him win as much as possible. Like you said they all played for him, that's still their coach and they look up to him. Look at all the elite recruits y'all have been getting. Who has been the lead recruiter for majority if not all of those recruits? Capel. Remember the stuff floating around when he left Oklahoma? I'm not trying to insinuate every recruit Duke has been getting recently is because of play to play because I highly doubt that is true. But when you throw in what's happening now with Arizona and SoCal and they were battling it out with y'all and y'all come out the winner and Capel was the one who recruited Marvin Bagley, there is at least reason to raise an eyebrow.

I get what you're saying....some commits can raise eyebrows... but to me, a kid leaving Maryland and going to Washington isn't the same as a kid picking a perennial powerhouse and one of the greatest coaches of all time.....no matter where he is from. I know a lot of people want Duke to be involved in this and get hammered, but I do not believe it. I don't think they would risk it. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but my confidence is high that we are fine.

Leaving Maryland and going to Washington definitely isn't the same as going to play at a Duke, lUKe, etc. I definitely wouldn't make that argument lol. But I'm pretty sure with we both agree something smells fishy coming from Kentucky not because of them landing recruits, but the vast number Cal gets and his history at UMass and Memphis. Like my other post I'm not trying to insinuate that all the recruits are the play for play but one here and there could be.

About 25% of me hope that it turns up true and that Duke is part of all of this while UNC stays clean so I can talk shit to some of the family, but the other 75% of me knows that this has been the greatest rivalry for 30+ years and when UNC and Duke are at their best and both capable of winning the National Championship it's a hell of a lot more fun. I'd never want to beat Duke if they had a team like our 2009-10 team nor would I wanna suffer another season like that.

We are closer to the same page now. I agree with a lot of what you said about Ky, but mainly because I hate them more than any other program! And, because Cal has had issues at other schools. I also agree our rivalry is more fun when both teams are good. Beating up on a team that you know going in has no chance is not all that much fun.

So you want me to take off my Duke shades but then proceed to go on a four post diatribe with conspiracy theories and typical rival fan cliche arguments- Duke bigs only set screens (Bagely isn't a center btw just as an FYI), K sold out to the Cal model (so even though we've been recruiting the same kids forever and landing them we should stop? Bc the system is OAD?). Then you go on to do the typical Capel has to be doing something "I remember Oklahoma!" Schtick while backhand praising K to try and puff up your argument. Then you openly admit you hope it's true just to throw shade at family members that are Duke fans and are essentially admitting that there are many reasons why an elite recruit doesn't take the $100k to go play for USC. The Bagleys don't need the money. They also know building up their brand is a lot more important. I'm not naive enough to sit here and say it couldn't happen here or anywhere else, that's just foolish. What I am saying is I don't go around running the conspiracy theory game based on some rant that Dickie V has about the OAD system and kids graduating HS early to get to the league faster. You and he have something in common though, neither have a clue about the amount of work and organization the Bagleys had to put forth on their own to reclassify to the same class he was originally in.

Roy "sold out" to OAD's and the next time he "develops" anyone will be one of the few times he's done it. If you're not pretty much a finished product when ya play for Roy , well , good luck. That's why he has to have the absolute best of the best outta high school. This notion that he somehow scraped by with average guys and turned 'em into champs is a lie. His highly ranked guys STAYED while Duke's and UK's ( and others ) left. That's why his recruiting is down. Not because he eschews OAD's. He doesn't. Sure , the cheating scandal has hurt Roy but he's also suffered because his Burger Boys are still in school , undeveloped , while their peers are already in the league. There were what? 4 Top 25 guys still in school last year? Roy had 3 of 'em. THAT hurts recruiting. It just does. He tried to get Bradley to come back. Kids see that kinda selfishness and run away. unx fans ignore the fact that Roy complains about being unable to get the elite recruits to even visit. Well , in this climate , kids wanna go for a year or two then move on. Roy's cultivated a rep as a coach who discourages that. McAdoo ( for example ) was a lottery pick after his freshmen year. Roy shoulda pushed him out. Talked him into staying and look what happened. From first round to undrafted. Williams cost that kid millions. Recruits SEE this stuff. So let's get past this notion that Roy's style has changed. It hasn't. The scandal and his failure to get elite recruits to the league has been why he's recruiting guys ranked in the hundreds instead of the OAD-types he prefers. And btw...Chris Hawkins is part of this investigation. That would scare the bugeezus outta me if I was a unx fan. Mr. Peanut Butter and Pepper already screwed ya once.

Reactions: Liftee and GAAP
A unx fan throwin' shade on Duke after what's been exposed about them , Dean and Roy the last 7 years. Too funny. "Raise an eyebrow," indeed. I mean , seriously. This is an area that unx'ers should RUN from. And let's drop this fantasy that it was "academics only." No need to re-hash the mess but unx has spent millions in PR and legal fees keeping the focus on academics instead of , ya know , houses , cars , drugs , guns , Fats Thomas etc. No shortage of that stuff on "the hill."

Reactions: GAAP
This past year , Pinson and Jackson were the only top 15 players from their class to still be in school. 4 players outta the Top 30 combined from '13 and '14 and Roy had 3 of 'em. But but but Roy gets lower-ranked guys an' develops 'em , right? Laughable. Berry was Top 20 and he has zero guarantees of even being drafted after this season. THAT doesn't hurt recruiting? a little mileage on this but ya get the idea...

DHRrN2nWsAABpcc.jpg

DHRrN2sXcAEDjtw.jpg

Reactions: GAAP
Thought it was an interesting discussion on Outside the Lines. Jason Williams advocated for either a change to allow kids to jump straight to the NBA or to allow them to make some money that is held in escrow until they are out of school. Thought the latter was interesting.

Greenturd discussed an academy system. While I think it could move into that direction one day, I think it would kill college basketball in the end and make it nothing more than intramural. I'm familiar with the academy system from European soccer, and these kids get signed at 14 and sometimes younger. If all recruits could be part of an academy, I don't see the point of going to college.

"GreenTurd" is a fitting nick dbav, lol....Heard he had one after Dockery's shot!!! OFC

I cannot imagine K allowing Duke to EVER be involved like some of these other programs. "FAN GLASSES REMOVED." Now I will admit the meeting w/Reddish, James before Reddish even commits strikes me as unusual, and I think the other gentleman was a Nike rep. Sure when you look at it objectively, well makes you think....JS

OFC

Nothing like throwing out an unsubstantiated theory because some guy who is not an insider made a comment about a different situation, haha.

Reactions: timo0402
I cannot imagine K allowing Duke to EVER be involved like some of these other programs. "FAN GLASSES REMOVED." Now I will admit the meeting w/Reddish, James before Reddish even commits strikes me as unusual, and I think the other gentleman was a Nike rep. Sure when you look at it objectively, well makes you think....JS

OFC

Exactly

Reactions: hart2chesson

I hear yeah. And it is a situation that I never was nor my kids will ever be in.

Hey Johnny -- want to stay in high school and go to prom, write an English term paper, and study for the AP exams OR go ahead to college this year, play basketball, be on television, and get drafted?

Tough call Monty -- I'll take door #2.

All of this goes away if kids can get to NBA from high school.

2016 class...
They are the top players signing with the market leader in sports apparel. How is that weird?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT