ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball assistant coaches arrested

^I wonder if Montgomery was one of the players involved in any of this? He was a Duke target at one time. It doesn't look like we'll be signing a big that's a top-50 recruit this year, so we might have to rely on graduate transfer to strengthen our frontcourt for 2019.

It could be interesting. I'm inclined to believe that he wasn't involved based on his decommit right away. I would assume if the player is involved, then there would be a hold on everything they do as well. It may just be trying to avoid a sinking ship, but who knows?

It could be interesting. I'm inclined to believe that he wasn't involved based on his decommit right away. I would assume if the player is involved, then there would be a hold on everything they do as well. It may just be trying to avoid a sinking ship, but who knows?
I don’t think I would be comfortable at all with Duke taking a de committed player from one of the schools named in this criminal investigation. I don’t care how good he is.

Nassir Little tweeted that he was re-opening his recruitment (even though he actually never committed). He was one of the players that is believed to be involved in the pay for play scandal. I'm wondering if it's similar with Montgomery. Maybe they just want to distance themselves from the tainted programs while they have the chance.

DKrWkeqW0AE6-G1.jpg

I don’t think I would be comfortable at all with Duke taking a de committed player from one of the schools named in this criminal investigation. I don’t care how good he is.

I have mixed feelings about this, haha. In a sense, I agree with you as there is cause for suspicion. However, the Syracuse Men's Lacrosse coach said something similar a few years ago about our players and they did nothing wrong.

I'd like to see how it shakes out to be honest.

I have mixed feelings about this, haha. In a sense, I agree with you as there is cause for suspicion. However, the Syracuse Men's Lacrosse coach said something similar a few years ago about our players and they did nothing wrong.

I'd like to see how it shakes out to be honest.
Yes, we will have to wait and see! I just would want Duke to do a thorough investigation on this Kid before even considering it. Would not want Duke to go after him too quickly.

Yes, we will have to wait and see! I just would want Duke to do a thorough investigation on this Kid before even considering it. Would not want Duke to go after him too quickly.

On that, we agree my friend.

Bilas said yesterday that he believe he knew who at least one player involved was. I'd be interested to know some others.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Louisville taking out the trash long after the fly's and maggots have set in.

Poor poor Rick!

Larranaga is the most shocking to me in all of this. Maybe I totally missed the boat, but he seemed like a straight shooter type coach and seemed like he didn’t want to take any chances.

He coaches at Miami, one of the most corrupt schools in NCAA history. There's a picture of school prez(Shalala)holding check from convicted Ponzi scheme architect.

I hope I am not being too reactionary, but I hope Duke stays far away if his name is even being thrown around. Ultimately, if he was being manipulated, it sucks really badly for the kid, but the situation is what it is.

He coaches at Miami, one of the most corrupt schools in NCAA history. There's a picture of school prez(Shalala)holding check from convicted Ponzi scheme architect.
Yes I’m aware, but still I just assumed Larranaga was better than that. Guess it might look to be that I was mistaken.

Will Miami can Larranaga?
I’m shocked that Larranaga would have anything to do with this, completely shocked. Then again, it makes so much sense. How else was Miami going to consistently beat us each season fairly???

They will subpoena all the major shoe companies now. No telling who is involved. I'll be honest, I bet all of the major teams are involved at some level. Even Duke unfortunately. It would be way too naive for us to think differently. The question is, will anyone snitch like with Adidas?

Cam Reddish meets with Lebron James and Rich Paul days before he commits to Duke. Lebron is currently tied to Nike, Duke currently tied to Nike. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Reactions: bax4444
Thought it was an interesting discussion on Outside the Lines. Jason Williams advocated for either a change to allow kids to jump straight to the NBA or to allow them to make some money that is held in escrow until they are out of school. Thought the latter was interesting.

Greenturd discussed an academy system. While I think it could move into that direction one day, I think it would kill college basketball in the end and make it nothing more than intramural. I'm familiar with the academy system from European soccer, and these kids get signed at 14 and sometimes younger. If all recruits could be part of an academy, I don't see the point of going to college.

I don't really know what to think. Recruiting has been unreal. I hope Duke has nothing to do with this, but I'm nervous.

I'm not...at all. Like is said earlier, if I end up wrong, I'll admit it, but I feel completely confident in our coach and assistant coaches to not bring something like this to Duke.

I'm with you on that.

I'm not...at all. Like iI said earlier, if I end up wrong, I'll admit it, but I feel completely confident in our coach and assistant coaches to not bring something like this to Duke.

I 100% agree with this as well. I feel very strongly that programs like Duke and even UK don't have to cheat to get these kids to come. The appeal is greater than a quick lump of cash. I'm not that nervous about Duke and UK, they are the hot schools that sell themselves.

I highly doubt Duke will be mentioned in this investigation, I am just worried about what "leads" the feds could have and how long they will continue investigating. I read an article that mentioned this could last 2-3 years and sh*t hits the fan in all of college basketball. The only person I am looking at right now with question is my man Capel, only because of what went down at Oklahoma. Just gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best, what can you do right?

I'm nervous for both Texas and Duke (my two teams). Both Nike schools, both have landed some monster recruits lately, etc.

I just hope they really have been above board, but I'm starting to really wonder if any of the top 50 schools do anything above board.

Name one assistant coach at Duke who has done anything in his background to indicate he would be involved in accepting or arranging bribes.

Just not going to happen. Could a kid have been involved in accepting money that the coaching staff did not know about like Corey Maggette? Possibly, but highly unlikely. More likely that Pitino didn't want to fall behind Duke, UNC etc. and gave his assistants a free reign.

As for Bagley reclassifying, we all realize that he simply went back to his original class because he saw no need for another year of high school. We will be seeing that more and more often, especially with kids who changed high schools somewhere along the way.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Miami certainly has a seedy reputation, but I think things have been changing for the better. My only real "evidence" is that they hired Richt to be their football coach, and he is a stand-up Christian with a reputation for firm discipline (at Georgia).
OFC

Everyone who is facing some time will snitch, most of these guys are not career criminals with a " no snitching" mentality. They will tell everything they know.

Cam Reddish meets with Lebron James and Rich Paul days before he commits to Duke. Lebron is currently tied to Nike, Duke currently tied to Nike. Things that make you go hmmmm.
I commented on this exact same thing when the photos/article surfaced. Not a good look. Never want to see a recruit hanging around with an agent or NBA player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT